Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pistol Offense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until TP is our QB of the future, I say no to the Pistol...he needs to learn how to play QB from under C..if he can do that at a high level then we can implement the Pistol into our O
Nodisrespect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Nodisrespect wrote:
Chris Ault sounds good but I'm not sure he created it. Warren moon and Jim Kelly ran it in the 90's. Maybe he innovated it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_offense
I guess I got pistol and run and shoot confused.
BigD1123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clemson now uses a lot of pistol. What makes the offense so hard to defend is that the rb can see the field and holes sooner. Kind of like shotgun to a qb. What also makes it difficult is that run and pass plays as well as play action and reverses all can be done from just about any set. Very tough to stop.
macklemore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
A yes. Let's run the recent gimmick offense or better yet, lets just go back to 5 years ago's gimmick and run the wildcat.

No gimmicks please! They all have a shelf life.

?

All the pistol offense is designed to do is add a power-running game to the shot-gun formation. It's not a gimmick like the wild-cat at all. You don't need a running QB to run the pistol. McFadden and Palmer would be fine in the pistol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
A yes. Let's run the recent gimmick offense or better yet, lets just go back to 5 years ago's gimmick and run the wildcat.

Do people get that offenses can do more than one thing? We can have more thnks one playbook. It doesn't have to be pistol or bust.

Any offense that Pryor and his limp arm are starting QB of will be pretty basic. Just saying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

?

All the pistol offense is designed to do is add a power-running game to the shot-gun formation. It's not a gimmick like the wild-cat at all. You don't need a running QB to run the pistol. McFadden and Palmer would be fine in the pistol.

Here's the deal: it takes defensive coaches about a season or two to figure a way to counter new schemes. Now RG3 and Kapernick look really good in it because its new. I compare it to the wildcat because when it was new a few years ago it was similarly unstoppable. However you don't see teams running it anymore because it can be countered. I feel like the same can be said of the pistol, especially with Pryor because he isn't as good of a passer as RG3 or Kapernick. And if teams know he can't throw then they are going to load the box.

Now I'm not opposed to running it 4 or 5 times a game at most, Pryor would also have to be a better passer where he is starting the games. It would be les predictable then.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching pistol vrs sea.

i respect sea's defense in a major way

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Raiders4sho!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Comments like this show no understanding of what the pistol really is. It is not a gimmick offense by any means, it is just a versatile formation, allows for more spread looks and allows the deep back to the ball earlier and find his hole with the ball. I ran it and high school it offers even more versatility with an athletic QB but even that isn't totally necessary.

Raiders4sho!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

?

Here's the deal: it takes defensive coaches about a season or two to figure a way to counter new schemes. Now RG3 and Kapernick look really good in it because its new. I compare it to the wildcat because when it was new a few years ago it was similarly unstoppable. However you don't see teams running it anymore because it can be countered. I feel like the same can be said of the pistol, especially with Pryor because he isn't as good of a passer as RG3 or Kapernick. And if teams know he can't throw then they are going to load the box.

Now I'm not opposed to running it 4 or 5 times a game at most, Pryor would also have to be a better passer where he is starting the games. It would be les predictable then.

People aren't understanding it's a formation not a scheme. It's not like running read option or triple option. It's like running ace or shotgun. Kind of a combination of the two really. There's nothing to figure out it's simply a formation that offers some choices just like any standard pro formation

macklemore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

?

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Read my post again, and if you still are having trouble google pistol offense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

?

No I do understand its a formation what I'm trying to say is its not a FORMATION that you would run every series. Now some derps would want to run it all the time. If you do that then become predictable just like when we ran stretches. Personally I can care less if we run it but if we do it should be when Pryor is a better passer that way he's a threat to throw it as well not just run it.
macklemore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

?

No I do understand its a formation what I'm trying to say is its not a FORMATION that you would run every series. Now some derps would want to run it all the time. If you do that then become predictable just like when we ran stretches. Personally I can care less if we run it but if we do it should be when Pryor is a better passer that way he's a threat to throw it as well not just run it.

Thanks for continuing to display you have no idea what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
macklemore wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

?

Please figure out what the pistol is about before making further comments.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders4sho! wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Comments like this show no understanding of what the pistol really is. It is not a gimmick offense by any means, it is just a versatile formation, allows for more spread looks and allows the deep back to the ball earlier and find his hole with the ball. I ran it and high school it offers even more versatility with an athletic QB but even that isn't totally necessary.

Thanks for your educational comments. I too was/am of the mindset that the pistol was a gimmick offense and have a short shelf life. However, I am unfamiliar with the nuances of the pistol despite following the Mtn West Conf. I was under the impression that having a QB with the ability to run was the X-factor that allows the pistol to be effective. Could you cite an example of a true pocket passer who played mainly in a pistol package?

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Raiders4sho! wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Thanks for your educational comments. I too was/am of the mindset that the pistol was a gimmick offense and have a short shelf life. However, I am unfamiliar with the nuances of the pistol despite following the Mtn West Conf. I was under the impression that having a QB with the ability to run was the X-factor that allows the pistol to be effective. Could you cite an example of a true pocket passer who played mainly in a pistol package?

I think Jim Kelly and the K-Gun/Run N Gun stuff was similar, but I could be mistaken and just be making weird associations because of names.

CrapTakula wrote:
Cleveland steamer?

make sure you wash well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: