Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Jared Gaither "can't" return to SD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Report: Jared Gaither "can't" return to SD Reply with quote

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/04/acee-jared-gaither-return/

Quote:
Even if the Chargers brass had some wildly nave/ignorant notion that Gaither would remain healthy -- or not pretend he was more hurt than he was, as virtually everyone in the organization believes was the case in 2012 Gaither would not be welcome in the locker room.

I cant even look him in the eye, one veteran told me earlier in the season, after Gaither had sat out the first three games with a back issue that no one could clearly diagnose.

Ravens fans, I'm here for my serving of crow. I defended the guy, but I'm done with it. Can't completely fault AJ Smith for re-signing him considering that the literal slim pickings at LT on the free agent market last year. And while I get that the Brandyn Dombrowski injury was something of a freak occurrence that couldn't have been foreseen, Dombro never had any business playing LT to begin with, so a more viable option than a UDFA Rookie (Mike Harris) who played RT in college and Mario Henderson, who has never been good, as a backup should have been obtained.

And this is a situation that I really wish (though it's not like they happen every day) the league would shove in the face of the union and expect them to do something about it. It's wishful thinking that will never materialize, but there ought to be some sort of recourse for teams when players just "take the money and run (and dog it afterward)".

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Marcus McNeill. Crying or Very sad
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:

Worst news is... this likely means Jeromey Clary stays...

I think I need to go have a good cry. Crying or Very sad

wackywabbit wrote:
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:

How does this likely mean Clary stays? Acee has also been saying Clary is likely gone as well. A new GM and coaching staff will have no loyalty to him, and will have to judge him on his performance only. So I don't see any way he comes back.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:

How does this likely mean Clary stays? Acee has also been saying Clary is likely gone as well. A new GM and coaching staff will have no loyalty to him, and will have to judge him on his performance only. So I don't see any way he comes back.

Largely because I don't see the new GM eating the cap hit to release him and Gaither in the same season... and Clary costs more to cut/trade than to keep.

I'm not saying that Clary will necessarily be starting (god willing), because just about anyone other than Norv would at minimum put Clary in an open competition for his spot - which he'll lose. But I don't see there being the available cap space to release both Gaither and Clary AND sign another tackle to start somewhere (because I have serious doubts any coach in his right mind wants to start two rookie tackles). So either Dombrowski's starting at LT, or Harris is, or Haslem is (perhaps Haslem or Harris on the right).

wackywabbit wrote:
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
lakeroy wrote:
The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:

Largely because I don't see the new GM eating the cap hit to release him and Gaither in the same season... and Clary costs more to cut/trade than to keep.

I'm not saying that Clary will necessarily be starting (god willing), because just about anyone other than Norv would at minimum put Clary in an open competition for his spot - which he'll lose. But I don't see there being the available cap space to release both Gaither and Clary AND sign another tackle to start somewhere (because I have serious doubts any coach in his right mind wants to start two rookie tackles). So either Dombrowski's starting at LT, or Harris is, or Haslem is (perhaps Haslem or Harris on the right).

There's no guaranteed money left on Clary's contract. It was just in the first two years.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
The LBC wrote:
lakeroy wrote:
The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:

There's no guaranteed money left on Clary's contract. It was just in the first two years.

He did get a signing bonus, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it was deferred over the life of the contract considering the size of the salary payouts the first two years.

wackywabbit wrote:
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Jared Gaither hasn't always been above board, but you try being almost 6'10" 350 pounds and play a sport you have to bend at the knees...back problems can be unbelievable to deal with...not to mention when it comes to back problems there are many instances where pain/conditions are unable to be determined/treated. Back problems are the worst.

Oh, and how as someone as terrible as Jaromey Clary been able to play so long? Unreal.
mcshiny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed someone edited his wikipedia article Laughing

Quote:
At the beginning of the 2012 Gaither suffered from back spasms and is not in the starting lineup, insisting on being 100 percent before returning to full duty. He is considered a quitter and clearly faked his injuries, Gaither is and always will be a quitter. He is unlikely to sign with any other NFL team and will likely be bankrupt within 2 years. [4]

Like CalhounLambeau said though, if the bolded is true, at 6'10" and 350, can you really blame him?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcshiny wrote:

Quote:
At the beginning of the 2012 Gaither suffered from back spasms and is not in the starting lineup, insisting on being 100 percent before returning to full duty. He is considered a quitter and clearly faked his injuries, Gaither is and always will be a quitter. He is unlikely to sign with any other NFL team and will likely be bankrupt within 2 years. [4]

Like CalhounLambeau said though, if the bolded is true, at 6'10" and 350, can you really blame him?

He is 6'7 and there are other guys that big who don't loaf like he does. I defended him. But clearly he angered the team. Hope someone throws us a bone to get rid of him without eating all that money. Ugh.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
mcshiny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
mcshiny wrote:

Quote:

He is 6'7 and there are other guys that big who don't loaf like he does. I defended him. But clearly he angered the team. Hope someone throws us a bone to get rid of him without eating all that money. Ugh.

Listed as 6'9 on nfl.com: http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredgaither/2507311/profile

Wonder what Phil thought of it, given what he did in 2007 against the Pats. A team may get desperate, but if it's as bad as it sounds then surely he'll get blacklisted? Not many teams are willing to deal with injuries AND character concerns.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
He did get a signing bonus, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it was deferred over the life of the contract considering the size of the salary payouts the first two years.

The only guaranteed money was the signing bonus, and that was $6.8mil. It was split over he first two years, so they paid it out already. It's also the reason he made over $8mil the last two. $4mil next year, $4.55 in '14. He's gone.

RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us your 1st and 2nd and you can have Joeckel.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Why would anybody want a guy that's seriously flawed early in any draft?

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Why would anybody want a guy that's seriously flawed early in any draft?

Just wondering Drew, what games do you think he showed these gigantic flaws in? I certainly see some, such as him letting guys into his body, but not all these ones you see. Also, it is funny, because others see more issue with Lewan's technique. Laughing Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: