Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dionysus Offseason Plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Dionysus Offseason Plans Reply with quote

If I ruled the world, these would be the moves I'd make...

Re-sign:
Fernando Velasco – Starting Center
Darius Reynaud – Punt Returns/RB depth
Deuce Lutui – Good OG depth at the very least
Rob Bironas – Still one of the better PKs in the league
Sen’Derrick Marks – Keep him in rotation
Zac Diles – Excellent veteran depth behind McCarthy
Gerald McRath – Good depth player at OLB
Colin Mooney – Good depth for power running and blocking assignments

Tag:
Jared Cook – Make or break season. See how he produces before committing or releasing him

Cut/Trade:
Michael Griffin – Sucks
Damien Williams – Too inconsistent
Jordan Babineaux – Almost invisible
Jaime Harper – Too weak
Matt Hasselbeck - Sorry but it's time to get some younger talent at QB to push Locker

Free Agent Signings:

Andy Levitre (OG) – Strengthen the interior O-line

LaRon Landry (FS) – Provides a desperately needed major upgrade at the Safety position

Cary Williams (CB) – Good veteran depth. Saves us from having to find one in the draft.

Vince Young (QB) - That's right, I said it. We need to start winning again, and that's what he did for us whether you like him or not. Now that he's been roughed up by life a little, he should be more focused and determined to succeed in the pros at a cheaper rate. At least worth a look anyway.

DRAFT:

1st Star Lotulelei (DT) – Need that impact player in the middle. Casey, Morgan and Wimbely would benefit greatly from his presence.

2nd Matt Elam (SS) – Much needed talent at Safety. He can compete with Markelle Martin for the starting spot.

3rd Ryan Swope (WR) – Quality rotation player for our WR corps. We need more consistency from our receiving corps and he can bring it.

4th Kiko Alonso (ILB) – Added quality depth to compete with Diles. He has great instincts and can disrupt blocking schemes.

5th Rex Burkhead (RB) – Complimentary RB to CJ with versatile skills (run, catch and pass). He can run with power and catch out of the backfield. He can also carry the workload if anything happened to CJ.

7th Aaron Donald (DE/DT/OLB) – We can pretty much use him around wherever needed.

I'll return later with the new lineup

To Be Continued...

KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gets an F!.... For a very Longhonrn type reason....

Laughing

But other than that, it's a respectable off-season. I'm not as sold on Landry as I was before. I'm wondering about his injury status.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you always write in blue?

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
justing101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:

That made me LOL, but I like this mock off season. I wish you ruled the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dionysus Offseason Plans Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
Vince Young (QB) - That's right, I said it. We need to start winning again, and that's what he did for us whether you like him or not. Now that he's been roughed up by life a little, he should be more focused and determined to succeed in the pros at a cheaper rate. At least worth a look anyway.

What reason is there to think he now reacts to adversity like an adult? Granted, he didn't throw his pads in the stands on the way out of Buffalo, but that's a pretty low bar.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:

Laughing

But other than that, it's a respectable off-season. I'm not as sold on Landry as I was before. I'm wondering about his injury status.

An "F" for a very Longhorn type reason? Aw c'mon man! I know the Michael Griffin move upsets you, but an "F"?! Really??? Laughing

Actually VY is on my list for a couple of reasons. Allow me to explain...
I know some QBs are late bloomers and with all things considering, 2013 need to be a make or break season for Locker. He needs to at least show significant improvement in his accuracy and decision making. Above all, we need to know if he's got that clutch gene. Outside of a few shining moments against bad teams, Locker has been looking like complete crap in the last part of the season. Enough to leave my confidence in him in a pretty fragile state. I'd like to see Rusty Smith move up and even compete with Locker if Locker doesn't improve, but I don't know what they got planned for him.

Bottom line here is I don't want another season of Hasselbeck. I just can't take it anymore, enough is enough. I want more youth, but with some experience. There are no FA QBs on the market that I care to see in Tennessee. Anybody we could possibly trade for who might be worth a salt, like Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, will cost a little too much $$$ in base salary to be a backup. As for VY, yes we all know the history. But I say at least give him a look and see if he's gotten his act together, now that he's got that swift kick in the a$$ that he needed. At least we know that he can win games when it comes down to it.

TwoToneBlue wrote:

I could easily say it's because of the Titans and I'm just representing the team color. But that would be a load of BS because it's nothing more than coincidence. Blue just happens to be my favorite color, and I've always written in it whenever I had the option. I do it at work on emails, or anytime I type up and print a document (of my own), etc.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dionysus Offseason Plans Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

What reason is there to think he now reacts to adversity like an adult? Granted, he didn't throw his pads in the stands on the way out of Buffalo, but that's a pretty low bar.

Hey the man was just giving out souvenirs, he said so himself. The mistake he made was he should've just walked up the stairs and handed his pads to kid instead of just flinging them up there because she was a little too far away. He didn't mean for the pads to hit her upside the head and take out half the row and all that.
It was like...

"Hey kid, here's my shoulder pads!" BOP!!!

"Yo lady, take my helmet!" WHAM!!!

KingTitan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Laughing

An "F" for a very Longhorn type reason? Aw c'mon man! I know the Michael Griffin move upsets you, but an "F"?! Really??? Laughing

Actually VY is on my list for a couple of reasons. Allow me to explain...
I know some QBs are late bloomers and with all things considering, 2013 need to be a make or break season for Locker. He needs to at least show significant improvement in his accuracy and decision making. Above all, we need to know if he's got that clutch gene. Outside of a few shining moments against bad teams, Locker has been looking like complete crap in the last part of the season. Enough to leave my confidence in him in a pretty fragile state. I'd like to see Rusty Smith move up and even compete with Locker if Locker doesn't improve, but I don't know what they got planned for him.

Bottom line here is I don't want another season of Hasselbeck. I just can't take it anymore, enough is enough. I want more youth, but with some experience. There are no FA QBs on the market that I care to see in Tennessee. Anybody we could possibly trade for who might be worth a salt, like Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, will cost a little too much $$$ in base salary to be a backup. As for VY, yes we all know the history. But I say at least give him a look and see if he's gotten his act together, now that he's got that swift kick in the a$$ that he needed. At least we know that he can win games when it comes down to it.

Well, it's documented well in the Titans forum archives how I feel about him. I give even more reasons why his "winning" was a product of a lot of things besides him.

Enough on that....

I do think Locker needs a younger back up, maybe that is Rusty. But just like you said some QB's are late bloomers, I'd rather tough it out with Locker than bringing in the guy you mentioned and all the baggage he brings.
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize Cary Williams is a starter for the Ravens and isn't going to be "veteran depth" wherever he signs- he's going to get a pretty big contract from someone to start.

Also, we can't just start Laron Landry and Matt Elam... both of them are in the box type players. This isn't 1990, you can't play a 4-6 defense.
s_camp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dionysus Offseason Plans Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
s_camp wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

Hey the man was just giving out souvenirs, he said so himself. The mistake he made was he should've just walked up the stairs and handed his pads to kid instead of just flinging them up there because she was a little too far away. He didn't mean for the pads to hit her upside the head and take out half the row and all that.
It was like...

"Hey kid, here's my shoulder pads!" BOP!!!

"Yo lady, take my helmet!" WHAM!!!

Uh huh Laughing

I can't agree with you on Young. Nothing good can come from that.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won in spite of VY far more times than because of him. He had the occasional "omg wtf, how did he pull off that comeback?" type of game, but far more often he had games where he completed 50% of his passes and threw 2 interceptions.

He seemed to improve in 09 and 10 as far as throwing the ball goes, but then he seemed to completely regress in Philly. I have no use for the guy.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:
You realize Cary Williams is a starter for the Ravens and isn't going to be "veteran depth" wherever he signs- he's going to get a pretty big contract from someone to start.

Well, I realize it NOW.Very Happy
But that's cool too. Knowing that our mocks are usually wishful thinking, I always have alternative plans. In this case, I wouldn't look sign a CB from the FA market being that he was the only one I had an interest in. This would change up my draft board a bit. I'd be looking to pick up another lower round pick (or two) in a trade with a couple of players I'm releasing but still under contract. Jaime Harper and Damien Williams would be my trade bait. I'm thinking getting a 5th round pick at least.

With that pick, I'd take Trey Wilson (Vanderbilt)...for depth unless he proves otherwise. One of my other targets is Tyrann Mathieu (CB/S) LSU, but I wouldn't use a draft pick on him because of his off-the-field issues. I'd go after him in the UDFA pool as soon as the draft is over. He's a talented kid, but he's had his head is up his @$$.

ThatTitansFan wrote:

Also, we can't just start Laron Landry and Matt Elam... both of them are in the box type players.

If that's the case, then that kills the idea of taking Elam if we already have Landry on board. I didn't get to check out too many Safeties this season like would've preferred. That would leave a battle between Markelle Martin and Robert Johnson for the other starting spot. BTW, I guess that would change my 2nd round pick. I'd probably go for a top OL or DE at that point.

As far as the whole DB situation goes, I'd really like for us to shift our personnel around and try something. I've said this before. Tommie Campbell should take the #2 spot opposite of McCourty, and let Verner move to his natural spot at NB. I was happy to FINALLY see us give Campbell that chance in the Jacksonville game. I noticed that we didn't hear anymore from Justin Blackmon when Campbell started covering him because he no longer had that size advantage like he did over Verner. We're wasting Verner's skills sticking him in the #2 spot. In the Nickel, he great at reading and breaking down plays as they unfold, but Cody Sensabaugh is solid NB, so I would love to try out Verner at FS. With his instincts and intelligence, I think he would be awesome at the spot.

TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:

TwoToneBlue wrote:

I could easily say it's because of the Titans and I'm just representing the team color. But that would be a load of BS because it's nothing more than coincidence. Blue just happens to be my favorite color, and I've always written in it whenever I had the option. I do it at work on emails, or anytime I type up and print a document (of my own), etc.

Okay, just wondering. Kinda annoying/difficult to read blue text at times I guess.

As to your offseason, I like it overall.

I don't see the first 2 rounds of the draft as realistic. Can't really speak on the later ones as I'm not familiar with the prospects, but Star I don't see lasting to 10 or Elam to the second round. I do like the positions you targeted though.

I think we keep Damian Williams as an insurance policy for Britt so to speak and I like the idea of tagging Cook because I have the feeling he isn't going to want to resign due to lack of involvement on offense.

No. VY. Just no. There's a reason he isn't on any of the 32 teams right now.

Like the FA signings. As always with the Titans we never go after the top names so unlikely we get that many big names, but I like your targets.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
TitanSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star won't be there at 10 and Elam will be gone by the end of the first round.

VY = worst idea in a mock ever.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but those things stuck out too much to bother with saying what I like about it.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Star won't be there at 10 and Elam will be gone by the end of the first round.

VY = worst idea in a mock ever.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but those things stuck out too much to bother with saying what I like about it.

Don't be so sure. You never know who's going to fall where in the draft. It depends on other team's needs and what they really value the most at the time. So I wouldn't write him off too soon. But if he IS gone, then there are a couple of others who might still be there for the taking. Damontre Moore and Manti Te'o are on my list for defense. I have Johnathan Hankins as well, but I'm not sure if he's Top 10 quality. I didn't get to see a lot of his games, so I'm gonna have to check out some game footage on him. Elam may or may not be gone, but as long as we can address the Safety spot, I'm good.

Don't let the VY thing bother you. I put him on there knowing he'd be a lightening rod for controversy. Sometimes I just like poking the beehive with the stick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: