Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 State of the Steelers Part Two - - RB's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sould the Steelers re-sign Rashard Mendenhall
yes
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
no
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our problem is that we have 5 "RBs" and a FB, but in reality, we only have 3 RBs

Rainey isn't a RB. He's Stefan Logan. He's not as fast as his reputation suggests, and he's not all that elusive for a dude as small and seemingly fragile as he is.

Baron Batch, as much as I root for him isn't a RB. He's a philospher and a poet, but he simply doesn't belong in the NFL. Pre knee injury, perhaps he would, but his instincts and vision are simply too poor to compensate for pedestrain speed.

That leaves Dwyer, Batch, and Mendy.

2 of them have a lot of talent and no heart. 1 has a lot of heart and almost no talent.

Dwyer should be a #1 RB in the NFL, but he simply doesn't give a crap. His weight apparently spiraled out of control during the season, and as we saw time and time again, he would tap out after 2 or 3 runs, and head to the sidelines. He has come into training camp out of shape and overweight, and when given the reigns to really secure the #1 job, he failed miserably. At his best, he runs downhill with power, and is patient to pick his holes as they open and explodes through them. At his worst, he is tentative and slow and goes down far too easily

Mendenhall should be a top-tier RB in the NFL, but he seems to lack desire. For a guy who has probably the ideal build for a RB (5'10, 225 lbs of muscle) he runs soft as anybody and really has very little in the way of instincts or vision. What he has is great hands, great athleticism, and intellect. I loved the pick when we made it. Very big disappointment. His attitude and mentality only turns me away from him even more.

Redman is the guy with the heart. When he isn't injured, he runs downhill, and runs HARD. The problem is he lacks physical talent. He's slow, he isn't elusive, and his balance is somewhat middling. He tends to show better balance when he's getting hit then anything, which is a good thing, generally Razz He has surprisingly good hands, but he simply doesn't have the speed to do as much with it as one would hope.

As for resigning Mendy, I don't know if he has burned his bridges with the Steelers. He stands by his decision to be absent at San Diego and to my knowledge has not admitted that he did anything wrong. "There's a lot of thought that goes into everything that I do" so apparently he did it willfully and feels he was right. Comments like that, his ridiculous slavery comments, and his Osama bin Laden comment make it tough for me to even want him around in black and gold. Ultimately though, he's a Tomlin 1st rounder, and I think they'll make every effort to resign him.

like JPN, I'm not keen on the idea of going into the season with our current RB corps as disjointed as it is. UFAs and RFAs everywhere, with only a 175-lb non-elusive, non-blazing COP guy. Thankfully, there aren't any 1st round candidates for us to go after, but I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I be particularly angry, if we go for a guy like Lacy in the 2nd, or Bell, Barner, or Ball in the 3rd

weird. I actually have to start paying attention to RBs again. Confused

anyway, to answer (Finally) the question

1. I would consider resigning Mendenhall if the contract was low enough. If he wants true starter money, then I let him go to the highest bidder.

2. I would prefer to resign Dwyer and include a weight clause with the following stipulations:

- show up for camp weighing no more than 235
- weekly weigh-ins, fines for weight above 230
- bonuses for weight between 225 and 230

he's not Jerome Bettis. He's just chubby. He has no business being any more than a few pounds heavier than Mendenhall. I know it doesn't show in their running styles, but Dwyer is NOT that large-framed guy that the announcers love to prattle on and on about. he's not a power RB in the Bettis mold. Bettis was simply a short OG with great feet and vision. Dwyer's a RB who lets himself get chubby far too often.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm writing this ... But I agree with Kethnab!! Shocked Yes, it's true, he'll has frozen over folks! Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I can't believe I'm writing this ... But I agree with Kethnab!! Shocked Yes, it's true, he'll has frozen over folks! Laughing Wink

OMFG....I can't believe it, turtle finally got his head out of his butt! Hell truly HAS frozen over!

Very Happy

edit - I just wanted to post that I'm still laughing about this. I'm quite proud of myself here...
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

OMFG....I can't believe it, turtle finally got his head out of his butt! Hell truly HAS frozen over!

Very Happy

edit - I just wanted to post that I'm still laughing about this. I'm quite proud of myself here...
haha! I'm glad we could come together buddy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Very Happy

OMG can this love fest end?? Laughing Laughing Wink

Anyhow, I don't think Kethy gives enough credit to Redman. I don't think the talent of him or Dwyer is all that different, other than Dwyer is slightly faster. Redman is a couple years older and less potential because of the speed, but I trust him and his heart more than Dwyer.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
How about trying to rank the RBs according to vision? I bet the list is pretty much the same as the list the Steelers use.

1. Mendy -- He is the best pure RB and has the best vision. He has a solid combination of size, elusiveness and speed to go along with solid hands. Some may argue that Mendy lacks vision, but I think he often tries to make something happen instead of just hitting the hole. You will often see him dancing and trying to turn a three yard gain into a 60 yard gain.

The other problem is that the OL does not consistently open holes. Fast Willie Parker would break long runs despite not having anywhere near the vision of Mendy or Bettis, but he had a better OL (except 2008) and straight line speed, but not great RB vision and patience ( a la Bettis). Mendy can do it all physically, but the problems are mental.

2. Jonathan Dwyer is the second best pure RB. I think he has better instincts and vision than Redman and Rainey. Jerome Bettis used to talk to Parker about timing, patience and hitting the right hole. Bettis was never anywhere near as fast as Parker or Zeroue when they played with him, but Bettis had better feet and vision.

Dwyer is not always patient and at times does not see the whole field (i.e. vision). He does have good balance and better feet than Redman.

3. Redman is a downhill runner. Some people are a oe cut runner, but Redman is a no cut runner. He is told 24 dive and he is headed to the 4 hole. He is good for short yardage and runs dives much better than sweeps and traps. He is not the fleetest of foot and does not have the best quickness for a RB. If the 4 hole is not there or jammed he is going to try to move the pile or squeeze through.

4. Rainey's issue is not a lack of vision or moves in my humble opinion, but rather his lack of size/strength. He did ot get many opportunities, but he was not the same after getting BLASTED in Cleveland. For lack of a bettr word, Rainy ran scared. He is 5'8 170lbs, and it doesn't feel good to get slammed by an NFL LB or Safety. Rainey is not just about speed, but he needs space to be effective. He got space KO's but I can't recall many plays on offense when he did. I rank him last, but I think he could potentially be higher in reality (not based on performance/play).

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Redman is a couple years older and less potential because of the speed, but I trust him and his heart more than Dwyer.

agree on this one.

I'd have zero issues whatsoever if the Steelers just outright cut Dwyer. He's lazy, undisciplined, poorly conditioned and just doesn't give a crap.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dwyer and Redman, they are good reserves to have.

I like Rainey and agree with whomever it was that said the steelers need to figure out better ways to get him the ball in space to he can make plays with his speed.

The team needs a definite #1 though and if they don't retain Mendy, they so need to replace him.

That means, drafting a RB in this years 3rd or 4th round that has more talent Redman and better work ethic than Dwyer.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should let him go and with him being in tomlins doghouse, I think he is gone. 34 is decent, but that is it, but he might have a really good year with a good OL on another team. This OL was only good the first 3 games Adams started and Haley ran the ball. No point signing a big time contract to a rb like 34 might demand if this team still calls/plays slopball. Laughing

Dwyer can be good for this team , but he has had his own issues in the past. Trade colon for 28 in carolina sounds fair to me Idea

Get the OL to play well enough (and play calling) so that a poll like this doesn't matter, like the 3 game stretch we had vs skins, giants and bungles. If the playcalling /OL plays like that (or how about better?) then who cares if 34 is back or if we draft a high pick on RB. 13st in the league between the tackles running - nobody will succeed with that.

Once again, get the OL fixed - for good and with depth Twisted Evil RB is nothing without OL Shame on you
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Trade colon for 28 in carolina sounds fair to me Idea

while we're at it, let's trade Steve McClendon for Larry Fitzgerald.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Thats just stupid, keth.

We would have to at least get a top 15 pick along with Fitz to even think about trading McClendon.

Use your head.

Cool
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

If it were pretty much anyone else, Id assume they were joking.

With you...I have no idea.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Thats just stupid, keth.

We would have to at least get a top 15 pick along with Fitz to even think about trading McClendon.

Use your head.

Cool

Seriously, what an idiot!! We haven't played McLendon much, because we can't showcase how talented he really is!! Fitzy is a scrub compared to him and 43 is just being generous asking for only a top 15 pick back!! Cmon Kethy, make some intelligent posts every once and a while!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers can not go into the season with just Redman and Dwyer as the primary RBs. Redman is decent in spot duty, but because of his running style will stay dinged up.

Dwyer isn't mentally strong enough to be anything the Steelers need as far as a #1 back is concerned. Couple that with only Batch and Rainey as other options and it's looking really bare in the cupboard.

The RB position isn't as highly valued as it once was, but it can't be under valued either. The Steelers have to take a long look at whats available and draft the best option.

If Ed Lacy is there in the second I'd have a hard time not drafting him depending on who was selected in the first round.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
The Steelers can not go into the season with just Redman and Dwyer as the primary RBs.

The Steelers cannot go into the season with just Jonathan Scott as the only LT-capable lineman on the roster

Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: