Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Any Black Monday Coaches Of Interest / Coaches At Risk?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Any Black Monday Coaches Of Interest / Coaches At Risk? Reply with quote

The Texans were relatively quiet last year in terms of coaching turnover although we did lose QB coach Greg Knapp to Oakland. This looks to be a very active offseason of coaching movement league-wide which creates openings for our staff to defect as well as opportunities to upgrade. Here's a few of my thoughts? Care to add to them?

At-Risk
Rick Smith - under contract thru 2016 - only risk is a team president type role which is doubtful, but his star couldn't be higher. Jets vacancy does make me a bit nervous.
Wade Phillips - you've got to think he'll at least be interviewed for some of these openings. Buffalo hasn't won squat since he was there and they certainly need a defensive mind to get the most out of their investment
Vance Joseph - probably will get some looks as new coaches build their staff's or even a few "Rooney Rule" HC interviews. Seems like the logical in house replacement for Wade should he go, but frankly the backsliding of everyone but KJ this year is concerning.
Joe Marciano - I don't care about the excuses anymore. His entire unit was an abject failure in nearly every aspect (aside from punts and field goals) which was only compounded by Jacoby and Holliday's success elsewhere (although people overlook Holliday's 5 fumbles). I don't know of any other team that has as many draft picks that project purely as special teamers (Martin, Bullock, Keo,Carmichael, Ozougwu, McManus, Holliday, Dickerson, Barber, etc) not to mention special teams roster spots like Clutts, Dobbins, Nading, Pleasant, etc yet this unit has been substandard at least two seasons in a row. Marciano is surely a good guy who should be allowed to "retire", but it's time to move on, especially since often you groom future head coaches from Special Teams Coordinators.

Of Interest:
Greg Knapp - certainly should be welcomed back as his work with Schaub and Yates was exceptional. Really stupid that the Raiders would blame DMC's inability to adapt on Knapp and the ZBS as it's not something people "get" in one year
Lovie Smith - he'll probably walk right back into a HC gig, but if Wade walks, we could do far worse than Lovie as a DC.
Ken Whisenhunt - is it really his fault that they put their eggs in the fragile basket of Kevin Kolb? I suspect he'll get some good offers and would probably be welcomed back as OC in Pittsburgh, but it would be amazing to have him as an Assistant HC / Special Teams.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be all in to welcome Knapp back, but think that Kubiak would see Whisenhunt as a threat to him as HC. Would like the idea of a new voice in the room other than Kubs old drinking buddies in Denver.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it were me Id bring Knapp in TODAY to help us in the playoffs
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

What exactly would that do, ax2?

Sig by matthouston91
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

bring in an outside view of our situation but one that knows the team....he can freshen us up on offense
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

bring in an outside view of our situation but one that knows the team....he can freshen us up on offense

You don't just hire a coach the week before the playoffs and give him free reign to make changes in offense. That would tick off everyone involved with the offense, from the coaching staff to the players. How would he "freshen us up?" Give Arian a new pair of legs? Improve Schaub's accuracy in a week? Teach the WR's how not to be rookies?

I'd be all for bringing him in to coach QB's next year, but there's not one thing he can do within a week to significantly help the team.

Sig by matthouston91
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

You don't just hire a coach the week before the playoffs and give him free reign to make changes in offense. That would tick off everyone involved with the offense, from the coaching staff to the players. How would he "freshen us up?" Give Arian a new pair of legs? Improve Schaub's accuracy in a week? Teach the WR's how not to be rookies?

I'd be all for bringing him in to coach QB's next year, but there's not one thing he can do within a week to significantly help the team.

considering he knows everyone on this team, yea he can help us. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to help you see the problem and someone like Knapp who is vast knowledge of this system could easily point out our flaw and help us correct it

but have it your way, keep schaub until he dies of old age, keep gary forever, don't shake things up....stay mediocre forever because you're too scared and egotistical to change things, nice to finally meet you Gary Kubiak, who knew you were grasspike
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

considering he knows everyone on this team, yea he can help us. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to help you see the problem and someone like Knapp who is vast knowledge of this system could easily point out our flaw and help us correct it

but have it your way, keep schaub until he dies of old age, keep gary forever, don't shake things up....stay mediocre forever because you're too scared and egotistical to change things, nice to finally meet you Gary Kubiak, who knew you were grasspike

Arguing you is like trying to argue with a politician. Regardless of what I say, you're going to come up with some bogus, untested theory to oppose it, claim it as truth, then claim I'm the football fan equivalent of a commie treehugger from space who hates people, success, and America.

First of all, do you realize the amount of tape Knapp would have to watch to have anything of importance to say? Then the issues of actually fixing any problems in a week? Those things take hours and hours of practice and repetition to improve any at all. It's not like he can come in and say "Listen Gary, I noticed while I was devoting 120 hours a week to Oakland's offense that if the O-line blocked a slightly different way against nickel packages, Schaub read the receiving options in a little bit different order, and Keshawn Martin improved his hand placement and footwork to get off press coverage, you'd have a bang-up offense. I'll just tell those guys that and they can correct a season or three worth of habits in an hour or two, and we'll be set to go in the playoffs." Doesn't work like that.

And since when did I become the most conservative fan of all time? I just posted that I'd like to see Knapp come in this offseason, I've been advocating Marciano's firing all season, and I was advocating for drafting a receiver in the first round this year. There are a lot of changes I'd like to see, but change for the sake of change is the worst move you can make, especially when you're 12-and-freaking-4.

Sig by matthouston91
jackbauer24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDaniels went to help Belicheck up in NE during their playoff run last year after he was let go in StL and now currently the OC for Brady's offense
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbauer24 wrote:
McDaniels went to help Belicheck up in NE during their playoff run last year after he was let go in StL and now currently the OC for Brady's offense

howd that work for them, because according to grasspike its impossible to make a difference, are there any facts to prove it helped?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLVI
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
jackbauer24 wrote:

howd that work for them, because according to grasspike its impossible to make a difference, are there any facts to prove it helped?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLVI

I made the argument with this case in mind. If you can make a coherent argument that indicates McDaniels did make a significant difference, I'll admit I was wrong.

Keep in mind that the Patriots averaged 32.1 PPG and 428.0 YPG during the regular season and 28.3 PPG and 396.0 YPG in the postseason. Some of this is due to playing better teams, but at the very least there's no statistical evidence that McDaniels improved the offense when he got there.

One possible contribution he could have made was give a more detailed scouting report of the Broncos (who he coached the two years before last season, if you remember), an advantage Knapp would not bring as his Raiders are nowhere close to the playoffs. And if McDaniels' ideas for the Broncos game made a big difference (it was by far the Pats' best offensive performance in the playoffs), there's even less evidence that McDaniels made an impact in the other games.

Sig by matthouston91
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all of this hand-wringing, why the heck hasn't anyone called Rick Dennison to the carpet? OK, we know that Kubiak is a glorified OC with a Head Coach paycheck. However, I fail to believe that Dennison has ZERO input as to how this offense works. If anything, it's been the failure of the OL that has put the Texans O into such a backslide - a position group in which Dennison is THE expert. Dennison might not have playcalling duties, he might not have the task of coaching up WRs and QBs, he might no split the carries between Foster, Tate and Forsett...but by goodness, he's the guy who is supposed to run the OL, and the OL has been a JOKE.

The simple fact that we have yet to develop an every snap player at RT and RG should be the only fact you should point to in writing up a pink slip. The team had good reason to cut Eric Winston, even better reason to let Mike Breisel walk...but SOMEONE had to feel as if Derek Newton had what it takes to start every snap at RT and make the loss of Winston negligable. SOMEONE had to feel as if Antoine Caldwell, Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks were good enough to take over for Breisel. By and large, each one of these players is nowhere near the level of player that Winston/Breisel was, and someone has got to feel the sting of that mis-diagnosis.

Texans have got to shake things up for the O in the 2013 season:

- Fire Rick Dennison. If Kubiak is too head strong to do so, fire him as well.
- Take away SOME of the playcalling authority of Kubiak. If Kubs is too head strong to do so, fire him as well.
- Bring in an actual OC, not just an OL coach with an OC paycheck.
- Bring in an OL coach.
- Split offensive playcalling between the OC and Kubiak. Kubiak can keep the bulk, but there are pre-determined moments in which Kubiak MUST defer to outside help. It is apparent that Kubiak's offense lacks the creativity to make things happen when the offense isn't in a flow - in THOSE times, Kubiak takes a back seat and the OC makes the playcall.

In honesty - this is a step backwards as to the progression of Kubiak as a HC, but his progression as a HC is the least of the teams' concern.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Arguing you is like trying to argue with a politician. Regardless of what I say, you're going to come up with some bogus, untested theory to oppose it, claim it as truth, then claim I'm the football fan equivalent of a commie treehugger from space who hates people, success, and America.

First of all, do you realize the amount of tape Knapp would have to watch to have anything of importance to say? Then the issues of actually fixing any problems in a week? Those things take hours and hours of practice and repetition to improve any at all. It's not like he can come in and say "Listen Gary, I noticed while I was devoting 120 hours a week to Oakland's offense that if the O-line blocked a slightly different way against nickel packages, Schaub read the receiving options in a little bit different order, and Keshawn Martin improved his hand placement and footwork to get off press coverage, you'd have a bang-up offense. I'll just tell those guys that and they can correct a season or three worth of habits in an hour or two, and we'll be set to go in the playoffs." Doesn't work like that.

And since when did I become the most conservative fan of all time? I just posted that I'd like to see Knapp come in this offseason, I've been advocating Marciano's firing all season, and I was advocating for drafting a receiver in the first round this year. There are a lot of changes I'd like to see, but change for the sake of change is the worst move you can make, especially when you're 12-and-freaking-4.

LOL I do imagine you as this

BUT I will concede my notion he could actually help us THIS SEASON, based on Patriot fans testimony AND the fact their offense did nothing new in the playoffs, they were a well oiled machine ran by Brady
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

LOL I do imagine you as this

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes what a joke
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
In all of this hand-wringing, why the heck hasn't anyone called Rick Dennison to the carpet? OK, we know that Kubiak is a glorified OC with a Head Coach paycheck. However, I fail to believe that Dennison has ZERO input as to how this offense works. If anything, it's been the failure of the OL that has put the Texans O into such a backslide - a position group in which Dennison is THE expert. Dennison might not have playcalling duties, he might not have the task of coaching up WRs and QBs, he might no split the carries between Foster, Tate and Forsett...but by goodness, he's the guy who is supposed to run the OL, and the OL has been a JOKE.

The simple fact that we have yet to develop an every snap player at RT and RG should be the only fact you should point to in writing up a pink slip. The team had good reason to cut Eric Winston, even better reason to let Mike Breisel walk...but SOMEONE had to feel as if Derek Newton had what it takes to start every snap at RT and make the loss of Winston negligable. SOMEONE had to feel as if Antoine Caldwell, Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks were good enough to take over for Breisel. By and large, each one of these players is nowhere near the level of player that Winston/Breisel was, and someone has got to feel the sting of that mis-diagnosis.

Texans have got to shake things up for the O in the 2013 season:

- Fire Rick Dennison. If Kubiak is too head strong to do so, fire him as well.
- Take away SOME of the playcalling authority of Kubiak. If Kubs is too head strong to do so, fire him as well.
- Bring in an actual OC, not just an OL coach with an OC paycheck.
- Bring in an OL coach.
- Split offensive playcalling between the OC and Kubiak. Kubiak can keep the bulk, but there are pre-determined moments in which Kubiak MUST defer to outside help. It is apparent that Kubiak's offense lacks the creativity to make things happen when the offense isn't in a flow - in THOSE times, Kubiak takes a back seat and the OC makes the playcall.

In honesty - this is a step backwards as to the progression of Kubiak as a HC, but his progression as a HC is the least of the teams' concern.

AGREED 100%!

I feel like some people are ignoring Rick Denninson and he has done an awful job this year and last year Gregg Knapp was more valuable to our offense than he was. He needs to go and we need a guy who has some creativity as an OC and there are plenty of options out there. I am still missing Lil Shanny I wish Mike Shannahan never came back and then he'd still be here.

Also I thought Dennison was the one who calls the plays but it runs through Kubiak and has final say. It woud be interesting to know how often Kubiak changes the play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: