You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marc Trestman's Coaching Style

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Marc Trestman's Coaching Style Reply with quote

Thought I'd share a little bit about what I've learned about Trestman's coaching style now that I'm 90% through his book.

*His stint with the 49ers in 1995 and 1996 was one of the most influential to him. He likes to practice fast and not script the plays to be run to mimic a real game, never wants the ball to touch the ground, and places heavy emphasis on player safety, especially the QB. He touched on much of this at his press conference.

*Marc puts heavy emphasis on having high-character players. Much like Lovie, he treats his guys like men and wants to get to know them on a personal level. In return, he wants players who will act like professionals and ambassadors to the team/city/state at all times, as well as put in the hard work to win.

*When coming to a new team, he wants to get to know the veteran leaders first and get them to buy into his system, because if they buy in the young guys will likely follow.

*Here's the part that the meathead fans will not like at all: he expects the entire team to carry themselves with a lot of class on the field. Think the opposite mentality of what Rex Ryan installed when he took over the Jets. Marc does not like his players to trash talk or showboat, a la Barry Sanders, as it's disrespectful to the opponents. At the same time, he believes in maintaining his composure on the sideline and taking care of business in-house, behind closed doors.

*This one is pretty cool. When he cuts a player, he doesn't just thank them and ask them to leave; instead, he's willing to sit down and have a personal talk for as much time as the player would like, because he understands the difficulty of getting cut.

*Marc likes to script the first 15 plays of the game, just like in the traditional WCO.

*He also puts heavy emphasis on the idea that if every one guy does their own job, it makes the game easier for everybody.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head for know; thought I'd put it up for discussion.
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean he's not going to yell, scream and act a fool? Fire da bum!
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc Trestman's Coaching Style Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Thought I'd share a little bit about what I've learned about Trestman's coaching style now that I'm 90% through his book.

*His stint with the 49ers in 1995 and 1996 was one of the most influential to him. He likes to practice fast and not script the plays to be run to mimic a real game, never wants the ball to touch the ground, and places heavy emphasis on player safety, especially the QB. He touched on much of this at his press conference.

*Marc puts heavy emphasis on having high-character players. Much like Lovie, he treats his guys like men and wants to get to know them on a personal level. In return, he wants players who will act like professionals and ambassadors to the team/city/state at all times, as well as put in the hard work to win.

*When coming to a new team, he wants to get to know the veteran leaders first and get them to buy into his system, because if they buy in the young guys will likely follow.

*Here's the part that the meathead fans will not like at all: he expects the entire team to carry themselves with a lot of class on the field. Think the opposite mentality of what Rex Ryan installed when he took over the Jets. Marc does not like his players to trash talk or showboat, a la Barry Sanders, as it's disrespectful to the opponents. At the same time, he believes in maintaining his composure on the sideline and taking care of business in-house, behind closed doors.

*This one is pretty cool. When he cuts a player, he doesn't just thank them and ask them to leave; instead, he's willing to sit down and have a personal talk for as much time as the player would like, because he understands the difficulty of getting cut.

*Marc likes to script the first 15 plays of the game, just like in the traditional WCO.

*He also puts heavy emphasis on the idea that if every one guy does their own job, it makes the game easier for everybody.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head for know; thought I'd put it up for discussion.
Not much to argue about there. I wish we had a Barry Sanders "showboating" though.
Nykooo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be an ennemi fan when it comes to the NFL, but I live in Montreal where Trestman coach in the CFL for the last few years. The guys was very well respected by the players and they didn't lose interest after 2 or 3 years. The players love to play for him and from what I've heard they all knew what to expect as far as accountabilty toward the team.

He's a coach, he's a good one. Good luck to you guys!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Marc Trestman's Coaching Style Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Not much to argue about there. I wish we had a Barry Sanders "showboating" though.

Funny you should mention Sanders. Trestman cites Sanders as a reason why he dislikes showboating. He was the QB coach in Detroit in 1997.

Another big one I forgot about: Trestman finds it important to coach within the limitations of his players and play to his strengths. I think that's huge, especially when you look at how poorly Lovie handled that aspect of the game throughout his tenure in Chicago but especially in his later years.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: