Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some New Articles - Callhan playcalled in '12?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Some New Articles - Callhan playcalled in '12? Reply with quote

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez
Kiffin said he told the players to watch Seattle defense because he and Carroll go way back. At Tampa and SC, ‘We would talk all the time.’

Herm Edwards coached w Kiffin, Marinelli, Lovie Smith, that crew. Said on ESPN that Marinelli is the key hire.

Quote:
Kiffin and Marinelli were together 10 seasons in Tampa. During their time there, the Bucs defense was in the top 10 in points allowed every year and in the top 10 in yards allowed in all but their first season of 2006 when Tampa ranked 11th. The Bucs went 89-71 from 1996-2005, allowing an average of 281.4 yards and 16.7 points per game. They generated an average of 32 turnovers a season.

"There’s no doubt [it was hard to leave]," Marinelli said. "But my No. 1 relationship is with Lovie Smith. Yeah, he’s probably one of my best friends in life, and I believe in him and I went there because of him and it’s not the right place for me without him."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/rod-marinelli-gave-up-a-chance-to-be-a-defensive-coordinator-to-reunite-with-monte-kiffin.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
“And you see all these pictures. And Rod Marinelli came in and we were so – we just went out to the front and walked ... we just pretended we were coming in for the first time,” Kiffin said. “I said, ‘You’ve got to see this, Rod.’ We went outside and walked back in. I said, ‘Look at this.’ ”

Marinelli said he saw plenty of history up close in Chicago, too, as defensive coordinator with the Bears.

"I just love the history of the game of football," he said. "I was in Chicago. The history is there. Then, you come here and wow, the history is fabulous. It’s something as a coach you’ve got to relate back to the players, how fortunate we are to be where we are, and there is a history here. We’ve got to understand that and there are standards we’ve got to match up to."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/kiffin-says-cowboys-organization-reeks-with-tradition-and-he-and-marinelli-soaked-it-in.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Henderson said he has also been watching tape of how the Chicago Bears and Seattle Seahawks have run the same scheme. Henderson is hoping the Cowboys can duplicate the success those teams had intercepting passes last season. The Cowboys tied for last in the league with seven interceptions in 2012. Chicago, Seattle and Tampa Bay each had 18 or more.

“I know we left opportunities on the field,” Henderson said. “We dropped a number of them. We miss-played a number of them. You hate to do that. But we did. We have to better going forward.”

On Wednesday, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Claiborne and Carr “fit well” into the new scheme. He added that switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 was made largely because they want to force more turnovers. If the switch is a success, Carr and Claiborne could benefit from more opportunities to pick-off passes.

“We feel like Brandon Carr and Mo Claiborne are guys that can play man-to-man, can play zone,” Garrett said. “They both have great ball skills, so the opportunity to play a little more zone, with their eyes to the football a little bit more, hopefully they can make more plays.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/dallas-cowboys-db-coach-i-dont-want-our-corners-to-be-ronde-barber.html/

Quote:
“He only played 2 ½ games, but in those games he played really well,” Henderson said.

Henderson said Church showed the deep range that the Cowboys asked themselves if he had.

“I got here and studied the tape – you didn’t see him make plays on the back end,” Henderson said. “The first play of the game against the Giants, they take a shot and he knocks the ball down in the deep part of the field.

“I was excited for him and was disappointed for him and for us when he went down.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/secondary-coach-says-cowboys-lost-the-physical-presence-we-wanted-when-barry-church-went-down.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Quote:
As much as I respect Monte Kiffin and what he has done in his career as a defensive coordinator in this league, the hiring of Rod Marinelli is what is going to make this new scheme work. The key will be how this defense will get pressure with four rushers. Listening to Marinelli talk today, it’s a job that he takes very seriously. I liked what Marinelli said about letting the game tape introducing him to the player.

long with the Marinelli hire, the fact that Jason Garrett was able to keep Matt Eberflus, Jerome Henderson, Joe Baker and Ben Bloom on staff was a nice move as well for the defense. In listening to Eberflus speak today, I really believe it was a very wise career move to try and now break away from Rob Ryan and learn this 4-3 defense.

All of this talk of who is calling the plays is not as a big of deal to Jason Garrett or Bill Callahan as is it to you and I. On Wednesday I wrote about how the entire staff has a hand in how the game plan is formulated and taught to the players during the week. Callahan offered on Thursday that there were points in the game where he had the opportunity to call some plays last season.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Scout%E2%80%99s-Notebook-Marinelli-Key-Hiring-Eberflus-Benefits-/63d6406a-c883-4af3-9bf0-ad2f9d02a42d

Quote:
Ware won't be available to the Cowboys likely until training camp. He had off-season shoulder surgery and said at the Super Bowl that he would have elbow surgery. Ware has never played with his hand on the ground, where he now will play as a defensive end. But Marinelli said no matter, Ware will excel in the 4-3.

"I think it’ll aid him a little bit, because your takeoff is better," Marinelli said. "Your keys are a little more consistent with what you’re doing. That’s my opinion. He’s an elite rusher right now. I just think the more opportunity he has, doing the same things every day, every week, the repetition, which allows you to become even faster. The sky is the limit for him, I believe."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/monte-kiffin-doesnt-have-sapp-lynch-or-brooks-but-he-does-have-demarcus-ware.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
During a Monday interview on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM] Cowboys defensive lineman Jason Hatcher said he chatted with Kiffin two-to-three weeks ago about the defensive scheme change the team would be making. Kiffin didn’t confirm where Hatcher would be playing – Hatcher said he thinks it will be at the three-technique tackle position – but advised the 30-year-old to study tape of the Seahawks’ defense.

On Tuesday, Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr said Kiffin gave him the same advice.

“He said the exact same thing,” Carr said on 105.3. “I kind of asked him what our philosophy and what the look of our defense was going to be, and as a prime example he said, ‘Go see Seattle film and you’ll probably learn a lot from those guys and just watch how they move on the field.’ That’s some homework for me to do for the next couple of weeks.”

Carr and Hatcher both mentioned how they liked the aggressiveness that Seattle showed

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/monte-kiffin-tells-cowboys-defenders-to-study-seahawks-2012-defense.html/

Quote:
James Hanna began to deliver on the Cowboys’ investment in him late last season, and one person they can thank is backup quarterback Kyle Orton.

He stayed on the rookie tight end’s case, and it paid off, said new tight ends coach Wes Phillips.

“People saw the end result where he started making plays, but we also saw when he was running scout team at the beginning of the year and Kyle Orton is on him every single day about how to practice, how to be a pro, how to work,” Phillips said Thursday in meeting reporters for the first time in his new job. “He really made some strides.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/james-hanna-emerged-thanks-to-kyle-orton-says-cowboys-new-tight-ends-coach-wes-phillips.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Last edited by Matts4313 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what I have gathered on Marinelli is....when Lovie Smith gets another HC gig, he is likely going to be leaving for his coaching staff. Just the vibe I get, as he had raved about Smith is nearly everything I've seen. Lot of loyalty there.

Of course RM being a one and done here in Dallas, could be moot should they faulter under Garrett again, as I'm nearly 100% confident Lovie would get the nod.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
So from what I have gathered on Marinelli is....when Lovie Smith gets another HC gig, he is likely going to be leaving for his coaching staff. Just the vibe I get, as he had raved about Smith is nearly everything I've seen. Lot of loyalty there.

Of course RM being a one and done here in Dallas, could be moot should they faulter under Garrett again, as I'm nearly 100% confident Lovie would get the nod.

I definitely think Jerry wanted this staff in place in case he has to replace Jason next year. This staff gives him a few options.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Orton. Really love hearing stuff like that. One of the better FA signings we have had.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead
Quote:

We know Anthony Spencer wants to return and the Cowboys want him back, thus, we also know Jerry Jones will find a way to sign him.

I was afraid of this. Sad

Please, if this evil must happen make it only a one year deal.

In Redball I Trust!
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead
Quote:

We know Anthony Spencer wants to return and the Cowboys want him back, thus, we also know Jerry Jones will find a way to sign him.

I was afraid of this. Sad

Please, if this evil must happen make it only a one year deal.

I could actually see us using him a lot at LB'er, a bit like the Broncos are doing with Von Miller.

- Still, I hope we let him go.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
Quote:

RT @JJT_ESPNDallas: JJT Research Dept: Romo threw only 83 passes when ahead last year. Tom Brady threw 335 passes when ahead. Wow.

Wow is right.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/jason-witten-its-about-execution-not-whos-calling-the-plays.html

Quote:
Cowboys tight end Jason Witten said it's not about who calls the plays, but how they are executed. The Cowboys were sixth in total offense last season, but they were only 15th in scoring.

"I think more’s been made of that than probably needs to be as far as a player’s perspective just because it’s all about execution for us," Witten said Friday night at an AdvoCare Success School in Fort Worth. "We’ve got to execute those plans better. We’ve got good plays, and we’ve got some good players, but we’ve got to do a good enough job of executing time and time again. That’s where I focus is on as players, I think, and that’s where it needs to be moving forward."

I actually agree. There were a lot of times last year that the play called was perfect for the situation - but the WR or RB drops an easy pass.

This should not be taken as an endorsement to keep Redball as Playcaller, since it's not, but it is something I feel is overlooked. Actually looking at the plays and seeing if they were the right call are not always tied to outcome if the play doesn't execute.

In Redball I Trust!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All-Under 25 Team

Bryant and Smith are both listed.

^^^mack
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
All-Under 25 Team

Bryant and Smith are both listed.

It blows my mind that Smith is already a 2-year starter with experience at Right and Left Tackle and is a whopping 22 years old. He's a year younger than me and has played in the NFL for 2 years already. That's bat poop crazy.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
Quote:

RT @JJT_ESPNDallas: JJT Research Dept: Romo threw only 83 passes when ahead last year. Tom Brady threw 335 passes when ahead. Wow.

Wow is right.

Outlaw if you break it down though it's not really that much of a wow. Dallas trailed so many times in so many games Romo had to pass. How many times was Dallas leading in the 4th quarter ? I haven't looked it up. I think it would be an interesting study though by quarters leading vs quarters trailing.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
Quote:

Wow is right.

Outlaw if you break it down though it's not really that much of a wow. Dallas trailed so many times in so many games Romo had to pass. How many times was Dallas leading in the 4th quarter ? I haven't looked it up. I think it would be an interesting study though by quarters leading vs quarters trailing.

You don't understand.

I was shocked that Brady threw the ball 4 times more when ahead than Romo did. Your comment has actually nothing to do with what I posted. That's what I was shocked about.

In Redball I Trust!
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota
Quote:

Wow is right.

You don't understand.

I was shocked that Brady threw the ball 4 times more when ahead than Romo did. Your comment has actually nothing to do with what I posted. That's what I was shocked about.

I do understand. I'm surprised it's not more. The Pats rarely are playing catchup and Brady is the catalyst for the offense.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“In a 3-4 you did more of a read-and-react. This is more of a react-on-the-run — rush the quarterback and then react to the run on the way to the quarterback,” Lett said, via the Star-Telegram. “Kind of the same thing I did as a football player, so I’m kind of used to it, and I’m looking forward to teaching it and coaching it.”

Lett said the Cowboys’ defensive linemen are going to make more plays this season, and they’re excited about that.

“The 4-3 is more about a penetrating, we-get-to-eat-first type of deal. That’s what we’re calling it. We’re at the front of the food chain,” Lett said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/17/leon-lett-cowboys-defensive-line-will-play-like-i-did/

Quote:
But Callahan said he chuckles at the idea that the Cowboys would be remade in the West Coast style.

"Because I've been in so many different systems, I've kind of merged a lot of terms, concepts, schemes, calls, structure into my coaching philosophy," he said. "What I've done is try to share that with our staff. It's not mine. It's ours. It's the Dallas Cowboys' offense. Whatever we do going forward, you can say what you want. But a lot of these plays have a point of origin from years ago from a lot of different systems."

The thing is, Callahan is probably going to get the chance to call those plays on his own.

"It's totally up to Coach and what he wants to do," Callahan said. "Again, I've partaken in play-calling during the games here. I've done it at several places.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/02/15/4625089/dallas-cowboys-develop-trust-in.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
“Bright. Inquisitive. Passion for football,” Marinelli said Thursday as he met reporters at Valley Ranch. “I’ll get close to people like that that really have a passion for this game and what it’s about. You could see that fast. And intelligence. You could see that was going to happen fast.”

Marinelli said he and Garrett have maintained contact since then.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/marinelli-remembers-garrett-in-tampa-as-bright-inquisitive-predicts-they-will-grow-close.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Callahan has done some playcalling, shows that it have been Garretts plan all along. I just think that he has changed his mind, because he don't want his last season as the playcaller be as bad as last season.. He wants to show that he can do it, also for the sake of future job opportunities if he gets fired somewhere down the road.

- Anyway, it doesn't matter who is the playcaller as long our o line plays like it did big parts of last season. Well, it can only get better..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: