Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vet QB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plucky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Vet QB Reply with quote

I don't see a rookie qb in this draft that can do what a rg3 luck or wilson did this year for this team. Lets say all these QB's were free agents next year. Who would you pick or would you stick with Kolb?

Alex Smith
Matt Flynn
Tomo Romo
Michael Vick
Carson Palmer
Other?
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, well you're definitely right, there's DAMN SURE no RG3, Luck or Russell Wilson in this draft class. To be perfectly honest I don't even see anyone close. I see the 2011 draft class is what I see.

As for who I'd pick, Romo. Ya he's got a rough track record in crucial situations but he's also the life of that offense and it rarely moved this season without him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like romo too; second maybe palmer, I think we need to do what SF did a couple years ago. Build the the O-line then come back and grab your QB. I hate the QB's in this class. Hopefully we can get a SOLID vet qb this year and draft a qb next year and let him sit.
DRC29 INT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt he's available, but definitely Romo as well. Then Alex Smith, I guess.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Francisco is a great example, the one I used was Cincinnati. They had a decent line in place with Whitworth and Smith on the outside (Then added to it last year with Zeitler, who we both loved) and instead of reaching for a QB at 4 they took a complete game changing WR in AJ Green so that the QB they did take, a guy they knew wouldn't be perfect due to the state of the QB class, would have all the help he could handle. The Bengals record since that draft is 19-13 and they've made the playoffs in both years.

That's how this year should be approached IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo easily. He's a top 10 QB IMO. He has some of the worst games as a QB I've ever seen, sometimes throwing 3-5 picks a game. That'll happen like twice a year. But you know who else did that? Kurt Warner. From season to season, Romo is very very consistent. In the 7 years that he's started his completion % was always above 60%, his YPA is always above 7.5, and he regularly throws 4,000+ yards a season.

He's 32 and going into the last year of his contract (which is huge, like 15+ million) so his trade value couldn't get any lower. He'd have to restructure next year's salary and sign a long term contract though.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
San Francisco is a great example, the one I used was Cincinnati. They had a decent line in place with Whitworth and Smith on the outside (Then added to it last year with Zeitler, who we both loved) and instead of reaching for a QB at 4 they took a complete game changing WR in AJ Green so that the QB they did take, a guy they knew wouldn't be perfect due to the state of the QB class, would have all the help he could handle. The Bengals record since that draft is 19-13 and they've made the playoffs in both years.

If Dalton and Barkley were in the same draft class, who would you rank higher as a prospect? Or would they be about the same?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

If Dalton and Barkley were in the same draft class, who would you rank higher as a prospect? Or would they be about the same?

I would have ranked Barkley higher but they share a lot of similiarities. You?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

Bingo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a 3-4 OLB possibility at 7 that we like, maybe a Werner or a Moore (Maybe even Jones if our medical staff is comfortable with that) then we have to consider him but the ideal option for me would be to take the best OL available at 7, get our QB in the 2nd round and then chase a vet to either start in the interim or give us a reliable backup option to replace Skelton/Lindley.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I would have ranked Barkley higher but they share a lot of similiarities. You?

A ton of similarities yeah. A tad undersized, 4 year starters, intelligent, overall good intangibles, questionable arm strength and footwork, and didn't play in the most complex offense but ready to start from Day 1.

I'd rank Barkley slightly higher but I'm admittedly a bit hazy on Dalton coming out. Dalton went right where he should have gone, early 2nd round.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of that.

Who are your top 5 QBs this year, in order from 1-5?

Last edited by stchamp98 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take Dalton over Barkley. As for Vet QB I go with Romo if the team some how could land him.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I agree with all of that.

Who are your top 5 QBs this year, in order from 1-5?

Geno Smith

Matt Barkley
Tyler Wilson

Tyler Bray
Mike Glennon
Ryan Nassib

That's how I'd rank them. But really Barkley/Wilson and Bray/Glennon fit into completely different offenses so it's tough to rank them. I have Bray higher than most but I liked how he finished the season relatively strong. He's really in that Jay Cutler/Ryan Mallett mold.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the down performance to end the year, I'd still take Geno at 7. There's a damn good chance he gets there too. Nobody who does credible mocks has him #1. Other than that, everyone's a round 2 or later candidate in my eyes.

I don't like Bray, I've made that known. QBs need to be leaders whereas Bray is simply a guy looking to have fun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: