Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers picking 17th - player discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Star Lotelulei, Jesse Williams is probably the only one who can handle and command double-teams. No way he's a late 1st round...

He's top 15 after combine. He's more athletic that he seem, just doesn't have any pass-rushing moves.

I think it helps he face the Bama' O-line everyday in practices... Very Happy

I truly see Jesse Williams high on Steelers' list. Maybe not for every teams though.

I love how Eddie Lacy played in the BCS Champion but there are players like him every year, so I don't see why we need to draft a RB early on even if it is a need and could help us. Way I see it, sign Mendenhall to a year contract, boost other positions and by next year we will know our other weakness like O-line, OLB, and even RB.

I have a list of BPA on my computer for defensive prospects who can play through no-huddle. That's the most important thing now, if the player can not... He shall not be drafted by the Steelers.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would Mendenhall sign a 1 yr deal when he can more than likely get a 4-5 yr deal elsewhere? Why get a year older and lessen the chance of a bigger pay day? Mendenhall is going to at least get 4 yr 19M with 7.5M guaranteed. Which I believe will be a bargain if he's the feature back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Why would Mendenhall sign a 1 yr deal when he can more than likely get a 4-5 yr deal elsewhere? Why get a year older and lessen the chance of a bigger pay day? Mendenhall is going to at least get 4 yr 19M with 7.5M guaranteed. Which I believe will be a bargain if he's the feature back.

If thats the case, the Steleers should resign him, because thats very affordable and about the right price for him IMO.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

If thats the case, the Steleers should resign him, because thats very affordable and about the right price for him IMO.

Matt Forte 4 yrs 30M
Johnathan Stewart 6yr 38M
Jamaal Charles 6yr 28M
Ray Rice 5yr 35M
Darren McFadden 6yr 60M

Mendenhall can look at this field a couple different ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Matt Forte 4 yrs 30M
Johnathan Stewart 6yr 38M
Jamaal Charles 6yr 28M
Ray Rice 5yr 35M
Darren McFadden 6yr 60M

Mendenhall can look at this field a couple different ways.

Well, aside from Stewart, Mendy isnt nearly as good as any of them, so if he is looking at those deals as a reference, he can pack his bags and ship out right now.

The Panthers and Raiders are two of the most disfunctional FOs in the league, so its no wonder they drastically overpaid those guys.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playmaker....playmaker....playmaker.

With potentially the top 3 weapons gone going into next year in Wallace/Mendy/Miller, it wouldn't surprise me if they went offensive skill position in the 1st.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
C$!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it really effects the 17th pick, but with Rainey now waived, I think the Steelers will take an RB for sure. I would love Lacey but I'm sure he will go late first now. (unless he tanks at the combine)
As for the 17 The Steelers need a pass rusher or a BIG playmaker at WR. I haven't done much research yet on this (as in which players to draft) but I think those are the two biggest needs going into the season.
I know it's been said but maybe trade down to get more picks, especially after the Steelers cut two picks already from last year.

Location: Hmm fire Tomlin of course y didnt i think of that oh yea because thats stupid.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on Teo but if he is bpa and trading back doesn't make sense which I'd prefer take him.

^ TommyC376 sig n avy^
"You know your a parent when you pay $120 for your kid to watch something live thats on tv for free"
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Outside of Star Lotelulei, Jesse Williams is probably the only one who can handle and command double-teams. No way he's a late 1st round...

He's top 15 after combine. He's more athletic that he seem, just doesn't have any pass-rushing moves.

so let's see who in the top 15 has an interest in a space-eating NT/DT with no pass rush potential:

1. KC - nope
2. Jax - maybe
3. Oakland - nope
4. Philly - nope
5. Detroit - nope
6. Cleveland - nope
7. Arizona - nope
8. Buffalo - nope
9. NYJ - nope
10. Titans - slight possibility, but they need pass rush
11. SD - nope
12. Miami - nope
13. Tampa - nope
14. Carolina - possibly
15. New Orleans - nope

so there's 3 teams with a slight chance at taking a DT early.

1. None of them run a 3-4
2. Jax has Knighton and Alualu already
3. Titans need pass rush and interior offensive linemen way more than DTs (good place for Warmack)
4. Carolina is the first real DT-possible team

Now, consider the following DTs:

1. Star Lotulelei - first off the board
2. Sheldon Richardson is going to do a Fletcher Cox/Michael Brockers-type of rise
3. Jonathan Hankins is a beast with seasons of production

Now, I'd take Williams before I took any of these guys other than Lotulelei, but I'll be shocked if Williams isn't available long after our pick. He's essentially a 2-down player.

let's continue

16. St. Louis - not a chance

17. Steelers - maybe, but doubtful (McClendon, Ta'amu kept on roster, went after Fangupo)

18. Dallas - slight chance, but rumors of Monte Kiffin as DC probably put these to rest, and Jerrah loves his playmakers

19. NYG - LOL...pass rushers

20. Chicago - 2-down DT is hardly a need for them, or even close

21. Cinci - they have more starting-caliber DTs than most NFL divisions

22. St. Louis - again no

23. Baltimore - Ngata and Mt. Cody say 'no'

24. Vikes - DL is hardly their concern, could see them going after an interior pass rusher to replace Williams

25. Indy - BIG POSSIBILITY, exept one would think they'd go after either an OL or a RB to help protect their franchise QB

26. Seattle - not a chance

27. GBP - not a chance

28. San Fran - Sopoaga

29. Houston - SLIGHT POSSIBILITY, but later 1st is ideal grounds for a WR opposite AJohn

30. Patriots - Wilfork

31. Altanta - Babineaux is darn good, but Peria Jerry is a nobody, this is a slight chance this late, although I could see a RB here

32. Denver - nah

I'm just not seeing the market for a space-eating 2-down player. If the steelers grab him, I won't be angry. He's a great fit, something we've had quite a few issues with in our defensive selections under Tomlin. I just don't think we will grab him, primarily BECAUSE I like him, and other than Woodley, we haven't taken a single defensive player that I liked in the first 2 rounds (liked Heyward, hate the positional value)
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is also not a pass rusher so his value will drop in this draft that is loaded with Defensive talent.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
He is also not a pass rusher so his value will drop in this draft that is loaded with Defensive talent.

exactly

which is why I think he could possibly drop to the 2nd round.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:

exactly

which is why I think he could possibly drop to the 2nd round.

But do you take that chance if he is indeed the player you want? After all, 4-3 teams don't just draft pass rushing DL. They draft run stuffers as well. Perhaps not in the 1st but in the 2nd is a possibility.

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
HeySteelers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Jenkins has the ability to dominate offensive lines. He needs to work on technique, he gets too high too often, needs to learn how to shed blocks rather than running through them. He needs to condition better. He has this power and drive to take two offensive lineman and drive them into the QBs lap. He is a boom or bust imo.

I like Jesse Williams. He uses his hands really well and gets low. Really good at shedding the block for the wrap up. Wouldn't mind seeing him at 17.

What OLB and Wide Receiver replacements would you guys like to see?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeySteelers wrote:
John Jenkins has the ability to dominate offensive lines. He needs to work on technique, he gets too high too often, needs to learn how to shed blocks rather than running through them. He needs to condition better. He has this power and drive to take two offensive lineman and drive them into the QBs lap. He is a boom or bust imo.

I like Jesse Williams. He uses his hands really well and gets low. Really good at shedding the block for the wrap up. Wouldn't mind seeing him at 17.

What OLB and Wide Receiver replacements would you guys like to see?

I am one who wants an OLB drafted in round one but wouldnt mind seeing Te'o being drafted them seeing what Worilds can do with more action next season but to answer your question I am one who likes Dion Jordan and ive been busy the few days and read he hurt his shoulder idk how much is true but for an OLB/WR duo Id like to see Dion Jordan and Justin Hunter in round two or any other big bodied WR with talent. I just want big for a change. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeySteelers wrote:

think about what the Steelers use Hampton for. What does he have to do? Now compare Jenkins and Williams and tell me which would better fit the role that Hampton does right now.

Jenkins will be a decent NT in a 4-3 defense. He is not a NT in a 3-4 defense. He would have to be retrained. Or you can just take the player that is much like Hampton coming out of college.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: