Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers picking 17th - player discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Steelers picking 17th - player discussion Reply with quote

We seemed to be having this in another thread that was not well named for this. So I thought we could bring it into a single thread for people to add various pick discussions.

I think they need a playmaker on defense but the Steelers still may go with BPA.

Names I've seen talked about with the Steelers:
DT
Johnathan Hankins
John Jenkins
Jesse Williams

DE
OLB

Jarvis Jones
Chase Thomas
Damontre Moore
Sam Montgomery
Barkevious Mingo
Alex Okafor
Corey Lemonier
Dion Jordan

ILB
Manti Te'o,
Shane Skov
CJ Mosley
Minter - late 1st early 2nd

CB
Xavier Rhodes
Johnthan Banks

Safety
TJ McDonald
Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam
Eric Reid

WR
Keenan Allen
Terrance Williams
C. Patterson

TE
Tyle Eifer
Joeseph Fauria - 5-6 round
Zach Ertz

OT
Luke Joeckel
Jake Matthews
Eric Fisher
Taylor Lewan

OG
Chance Warmack
Jonathan Cooper

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Last edited by jebrick on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Montgomery's tape against Alabama and Eddie Lacy looks really attractive as a second round pick

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved watching Lacy run. He will be an interesting pick.

Personally, I think the Steelers are set at RB for the next season. Even losing Mendenhall, they have Batch(ERFA), Dwyer(RFA), Redman(RFA) and Rainey. I expect all of them to be back.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Steelers22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the steelers need to find a way to get an OLB in the first round. I'm not entirely sure one of them will fall so if they don't, I would be willing to trade up. In the second, I would love to see them take Kevin Minter or perhaps the top available safety. WR or RB is definitely an option in round 3 and 4

props to dawg24
The Dominator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enjoyed reading this blog for a few years. Great debates about our beloved Steelers. First time writer so take it easy, LOL

The Steelers are hoping for an edge rusher with their first round pick. Harrison is losing his battle with father time and Woodley has really been disappointing for 1.5 years. Nobody else on the roster scares anybody at the OLB position. All good not great. This is where the turnovers happen, with pressure.

Jones and Moore will be gone.
I really want Mingo from LSU to drop. If not, Jordan intrigues me. I wish I could have seen more of him last night.

Otherwise trade down because they have a lot of holes on the team (G, WR assuming Wallace leaves, RB, S, Stong inside LB)

Dont see them spending another high pick on Oline since 4 out of 5 are 1st or second rounders. If this group doesnt start dominating the line of scrimmage we are in serious trouble on offense.

Pittsburgh always has and always will be about defense. Its time to upgrade!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Personally, I think the Steelers are set at RB for the next season. Even losing Mendenhall, they have Batch(ERFA), Dwyer(RFA), Redman(RFA) and Rainey. I expect all of them to be back.

hope you're right, but I don't see it.

Dwyer has talent and no heart. He can't maintain his weight and quits out after running 2 or 3 consecutive plays.

Redman has heart but no talent.

Rainey is Stefan Logan.

we have no #1 RB. We just have a bunch of backups. We've seen flashes but when they don't last AT ALL, it's tough to have faith in them. I think Tomlin WANTS Dwyer to be 'the man'. He has the talent and vision, but he simply doesn't seem to care enough about football. Wexell and Dale Lolley both confirmed what most of us saw...Dwyer gained what looks to be 20(ish) lbs during the season
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaccaro, Teo, Williams, and Warmack are the guys I like and that may be there at 17. I like Mingo, but he scares me enough that I'd be concerned with investing so highly.

Minter and Thomas are guys I'd like to see available in the second round.

Giovani Bernard is a guy not on the list that I think presents 2nd round value. If Dyer or Seastrunk declare I like them there also.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
The Dominator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd round Im hoping for in order
Elam
Minter
Reid
Jefferson.

Of course I think the Steelers running backs are amongst the worst 5 in the NFL. Agree with the above assesment.

Ball-3rd
Lacy- 3rd
Bell- 4th
Graham - 4-5
Michael- 5th
Steelers22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing we should all be keeping an eye on is Jarvis Jones' medical situation. From what I have read, he has a spinal issue that has caused some teams to really shy away from him. Consequently, that could lead to him falling a bit and potentially to the steelers at 17. At this point, does not seem likely but it is possible. To be honest though, bottom line is that there will be guys that move up immensely after the combine and various other post-season games/workouts so it really is impossible to have an accurate judgment as to who and what will be available at our pick come april

props to dawg24
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a huge fan of Jarvis. He has nice highlights but disappears too much. He is the smallest 6'2 245lb OLB I have ever seen. He gets engulfed too much by OTs but can anchor well. I was way higher on Juston Houston than Jarvis Jones.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see us doing something like:

1. LB Okafor
2. S Jefferson
3. WR Swope
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Harrison is gone my pick would be Sam Montgomery. I feel after Werner and then Moore, Montgomery is the most complete DE/OLB candidate.

If Harrison is retained, then I would draft Kenny Vaccaro.

Round 2, I'd take whichever position I didn't take in round 1 or a WR.

No way am I taking a RB before round 3. It's seriously a waste of an investment unless you are getting an Adrian Peterson type talent.

Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
grubs10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
I am not a huge fan of Jarvis. He has nice highlights but disappears too much. He is the smallest 6'2 245lb OLB I have ever seen. He gets engulfed too much by OTs but can anchor well. I was way higher on Juston Houston than Jarvis Jones.
The spine thing scares me. Ive heard rumors that he will be lucky to have a 4 or 5 year NFL career.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers maybe be screwed if there aren't more at least 2 QBs selected before there pick. Which could leave the Steelers selections very limited.

Players I think will be available. Which doesn't look promising outside of Rhodes. This maybe the year the Steelers should trade down because the value is pretty much the same. Some of these players don't fit the Steelers mold, but we've seen in the past that it really doesn't matter.

Okafor
Rhodes
Mingo
Jenkins
Anash
Olgetree
Montgomery
Vaccaro
Logan
Patterson
J. Williams
T. Williams
Allen
Minter
Elam
Austin
Eifert
Cooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for 2-3 QBs to have a meteoric rise into the top half of the 1st. Many teams MAY entertain taking a QB ahead us like KC, AZ, Oak, Philly, Buffalo, and even Cleveland. The more, the merrier! Will of course allow other talent to fall.

Rankings will change a lot over the next couple of months, but were the draft held today, I'd expect the following might be decent at 17:

Dion Jordan
Johnathan Hankins
Barkevious Mingo
Eric Fisher

or trade down a bit and get guys like:

Xavier Rhodes
Kenny Vacarro
Kevin Minter
Alex Okafor
Matt Elam

I'd love to see Te'o fall, and he may if concerns about his athleticism happen to be true.

Do they consider another OG if Warmack falls?

Still a long way off though and as always, will be interested to see how the Senior Bowl/Combine affects these rankings.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: