Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears fire Head Coach Lovie Smith
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Bears fire Head Coach Lovie Smith Reply with quote

Quote:
BREAKING: #Bears have fired coach Lovie Smith, I'm told #BlackMonday

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/285773351094452225
Tom Brady Tribute
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm wrong, I hope they get the right guy. But I forsee a long return to the cellar of the NFL. He's done more w/ less than any other coach in the NFL. Whoever the coach is better not mess up the defense.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe this. No need at all to fire a 10-6 head coach, last year's Superbowl winners were 9-7! I truly believe the way our schedule fell has determined Lovie's fate. Don't think this will go down too well in the dressing room either.

Whoever the new HC is will have my full support though.
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: S #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 29 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 1
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie is a good man and a good football coach.

But after 9 years the Bears needed a change and they needed a culture change in terms of the offense.

I trust Emery will make a good decision and we will finally get an offense that can compete with the elite teams.
raq11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope we don't become one of those teams that fire their coaches for missing the playoffs. I can't question this decision too much, but I would have much rather seen Lovie stay.

Go get us a good one Phil. One thing we're well aware of, the FO is more than willing to open the purse strings. So sky's the limit.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Lovie is a good man and a good football coach.

But after 9 years the Bears needed a change and they needed a culture change in terms of the offense.

I trust Emery will make a good decision and we will finally get an offense that can compete with the elite teams.

As I said before I don't care if the HC is an offensive or defensive expert, but whichever it is they need to hire a coordinator on the other side of the ball who can do his job, because Lovie's failure to do so is what ultimately cost him his job.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big mistake.
Very disappointed.
Welcome back to the Wannstadt or Jouron years.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this sends a pretty strong message about what Phil Emery's standards are and where his goals are.

Emery is not playing around.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the real question -

WILL GRRLACHER GET A NEW AVATAR???

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
This is a big mistake.
Very disappointed.

That is an assumption.

We could also hire the next Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy.
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that Emery is a new GM and may want to bring his own guy in but I just don't see the point in firing a 10-6 head coach. Ten wins and not making the playoffs is an anomally, it's usually enough, this team did enough to get to the playoffs with that schedule, it just so happened that there was a lot of very good teams in the NFC this year. My point is 10-6 is a playoff record, this team would have been in the playoffs under Lovie next year IMO with improvements, just worried we might go backwards now. First decision Emery has made that I don't agree with, may have to look for a new avi now, take that to your feelings Phil.
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: S #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 29 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 1
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
This is a big mistake.
Very disappointed.
That's my worry Badger. he spent 8 of his 9 seasons hamstrung by Jerry Angelo and still managed to field a competitive team every year. Lovie Smith won 86 games in his 9 years as HC. Basically avg 10 wins a season, and did it in the most competitive era of football the NFL has seen. A lot of talk about the 5 out of 6 years w/o playoffs. 2008 finished tied for the last playoff spot and lost out on a tiebreaker. 2010 NFCCG. 2011 7-3 start before losing starting QB and RB for the last 1/3 of the season. 2012 tied for the last playoff spot, lost out on tiebreaker. A few bounces of the ball the other way and instead of 5 of last 6 w/o its 4 out of the last 5 w/. Shame.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
This is a big mistake.
Very disappointed.
That's my worry Badger. he spent 8 of his 9 seasons hamstrung by Jerry Angelo and still managed to field a competitive team every year. Lovie Smith won 86 games in his 9 years as HC. Basically avg 10 wins a season, and did it in the most competitive era of football the NFL has seen. A lot of talk about the 5 out of 6 years w/o playoffs. 2008 finished tied for the last playoff spot and lost out on a tiebreaker. 2010 NFCCG. 2011 7-3 start before losing starting QB and RB for the last 1/3 of the season. 2012 tied for the last playoff spot, lost out on tiebreaker. A few bounces of the ball the other way and instead of 5 of last 6 w/o its 4 out of the last 5 w/. Shame.

There is no doubt that Lovie was hurt by Jerry Angelo.

ESPN Chicago is reporting that Ted Phillips might also be out as President as George McCaskey takes a more active roll.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
This is a big mistake.
Very disappointed.

There is no doubt that Lovie was hurt by Jerry Angelo.

ESPN Chicago is reporting that Ted Phillips might also be out as President as George McCaskey takes a more active roll.

Nobody would complain if Phillips was out.

GRRLacher wrote:
raq11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
This is a big mistake.
Very disappointed.

81 wins, 9 a season.
edit: unless you're including playoffs, then forget I said anything

You're spot on though. We were without Jay for 6 quarters this season too, and Forte for 2+ games. Got to imagine anything short of a playoff win was sending Lovie packing. At least the decision was made immediately...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: