Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

I know he had his struggles at OT. How did he do at OG in your opinion?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got benched at both positions with our crap OL.

He was brutal this year.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
not good, maybe w/ a whole offseason inside he will improve.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
bfanincheezland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

Hopefully he can, but it likely wont be as a RT which is unfortunate. He never played the guard position before so maybe with a whole offseason there he can become serviceable. His height may be a factor in it though, at 6'7" he may be too tall to get good leverage against many DTs.

He will likely be a swing tackle backup the next couple of years, which is not want you want out of your first round pick.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was pretty awful this year but he was also coming off major knee surgery and essentially was a rookie this year since he played very little last season. I think he was better at guard than he was at tackle though. I also think we as fans owe him another year of development before we can make any conclusions on whether or not he's a valuable piece to the o-line and worth keeping.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

Hopefully he can, but it likely wont be as a RT which is unfortunate. He never played the guard position before so maybe with a whole offseason there he can become serviceable. His height may be a factor in it though, at 6'7" he may be too tall to get good leverage against many DTs.

He will likely be a swing tackle backup the next couple of years, which is not want you want out of your first round pick.
I really don't know where this myth comes from, most of the best OGs in the league are 6'5" and above, the longer the arms the better in any position in football. Leverage has nothing to do w/ height, it's all about knee bend.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

I really don't know where this myth comes from, most of the best OGs in the league are 6'5" and above, the longer the arms the better in any position in football. Leverage has nothing to do w/ height, it's all about knee bend.

Agree 6'7" is only a problem if you play at 6'7".
A_Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

I worry about Carimi's knee bend after his surgery. It didn't seem that good this year.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

A_Fan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

I worry about Carimi's knee bend after his surgery. It didn't seem that good this year.
which is completely fine, but if you say somebody can't get leverage b/c they are too tall, it's just not smart.

bfanincheezland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
A_Fan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

which is completely fine, but if you say somebody can't get leverage b/c they are too tall, it's just not smart.

The problem is Carimi plays tall. He also has a tendency to lunge/lean into his blocks which leads to him losing his balance and getting beat
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
A_Fan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

The problem is Carimi plays tall. He also has a tendency to lunge/lean into his blocks which leads to him losing his balance and getting beat
Which has nothing to do w/ his height and everything to do w/ his athleticism (which I pointed out long before we drafted him). He's not a good athlete, doesn't really matter how tall he is, inability to bend is inability to bend.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line he is no very good and appears to be another Angelo bust.

The Bears should move on and if he becomes something great of not we are protected.
bfanincheezland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So, evaluate Gabe Carimi please Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
A_Fan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bfanincheezland wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

Which has nothing to do w/ his height and everything to do w/ his athleticism (which I pointed out long before we drafted him). He's not a good athlete, doesn't really matter how tall he is, inability to bend is inability to bend.

It is both actually. If you are tall like carimi you need to have more knee bend to get lower, but if you are shorter you can get away with less knee bend. Height and knee bend are two parts of the same equation. Also his lunging and leaning is a but of poor technique. He got away with using his size and raw power in college but that isnt enough in the pros
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some conversation on WSCR the other day that a source indicated Carimi played hurt all season. That could be a legitimate reason for his poor play. Or he could be a bust. Too early to tell. Nobody knows for certain. All we can do is hope.
51to54

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
There was some conversation on WSCR the other day that a source indicated Carimi played hurt all season. That could be a legitimate reason for his poor play. Or he could be a bust. Too early to tell. Nobody knows for certain. All we can do is hope.

It bears stating again, he's coming off a major injury that cost him his rookie season and in all likelihood, played hurt. He played in a very bad Oline.

He'd almost have to not be able to block and chew guy at the same time to be a bust now.

Gotta give him another season if for nothing else to see if he can 'recover' by 2013.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: