Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 Another Take Mock Off-Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emcee wrote:
Is Mikell owed too much money? Why does everyone want to cut him? He did well the latter part of the season.

The short answer is yes, Mikell is owned a lot of non guaranteed money. Cutting him would free up some cap space. His original contract was 4 years for $27 million.

Mikell's contract for 2013 has a salary of $6 million, $1 million signing bonus, and $2m million miscellaneous bonus. That adds up to a $9 million cap hit.

Mikell's contract for 2014 has a salary of $7 million, $1 million signing bonus, and $2 million miscellaneous bonus. That adds up to a $10 million cap hit.

The bonuses are guaranteed and salary is not at this point. Cutting him this year I believe would free up $3 million or more. The signing bonus was given when he signed with the Rams and is just prorated through the life of the contract and the remaining accelerates to this year's cap if he is cut.

There is a chance the Rams keep him for another year.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note (and not to hijack this thread) did anyone see that Quintin Mikell graded out as PFF's 5 best safety of 2012...

Kinda puzzling, even with his late season surge...

TommyC376 on the sig...
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Emcee wrote:
Is Mikell owed too much money? Why does everyone want to cut him? He did well the latter part of the season.

The short answer is yes, Mikell is owned a lot of non guaranteed money. Cutting him would free up some cap space. His original contract was 4 years for $27 million.

Mikell's contract for 2013 has a salary of $6 million, $1 million signing bonus, and $2m million miscellaneous bonus. That adds up to a $9 million cap hit.

Mikell's contract for 2014 has a salary of $7 million, $1 million signing bonus, and $2 million miscellaneous bonus. That adds up to a $10 million cap hit.

The bonuses are guaranteed and salary is not at this point. Cutting him this year I believe would free up $3 million or more. The signing bonus was given when he signed with the Rams and is just prorated through the life of the contract and the remaining accelerates to this year's cap if he is cut.

Im pretty sure the "miscellaneous bonuses" Are not guaranteed either (things like roster/workout bonuses) So for the 2013 season we would only have to pay the $2mill left of his Signing bonus, creating an extra $7mil in cap space for '13 and a full $10mil for '14.

Even with him playing "better" this final month, he is no where close to worth that money.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
On a related note (and not to hijack this thread) did anyone see that Quintin Mikell graded out as PFF's 5 best safety of 2012...

Kinda puzzling, even with his late season surge...
Thats why Grading Systems in football are poppycock. Without knowing what was called or for sure whose responsibilities are what on every single play, you cant accurately "Grade" a players performance.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Emcee wrote:

Im pretty sure the "miscellaneous bonuses" Are not guaranteed either (things like roster/workout bonuses) So for the 2013 season we would only have to pay the $2mill left of his Signing bonus, creating an extra $7mil in cap space for '13 and a full $10mil for '14.

Even with him playing "better" this final month, he is no where close to worth that money.

Then what other $4 million is guaranteed? He has $14 million guaranteed in his contract. The first two years of his contract were guaranteed ($8 million) and the $2 million left that is still prorated over his contract. That is only $10 million guaranteed from that total. I can't find the exact details of his contract but I would bet it is guaranteed to him. If it isn't than he will probably get cut.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of the Levitre signing. I'd rather see what Rok can do when healthy.

I think finding a tackle is a priority this off season, and I'm not sure that Long in the 3rd is enough to settle it.

I love Tavon Austin's talent, but the more I look at his tiny frame, the more I begin to see him as a returner that occasionally sees targets in the passing attack (3 or so per game maybe?).

That's not worth a 1st round pick to me. I doubt he'll go that high come April.

All in all, I thought you did a good job of addressing our needs.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Not a big fan of the Levitre signing. I'd rather see what Rok can do when healthy.

I think finding a tackle is a priority this off season, and I'm not sure that Long in the 3rd is enough to settle it.

I love Tavon Austin's talent, but the more I look at his tiny frame, the more I begin to see him as a returner that occasionally sees targets in the passing attack (3 or so per game maybe?).

What? If he's only seeing 3 or so targets a game then Percy Harvin isn't going to see more. He's the same type of player and fills the same role.

Rok, imo, is a better fit at RG and would compete with Harvey Dahl who is getting up there in age.

As for Long, he has great size and athleticism but is raw, he's pretty much Paul Boudreau's dream prospect. 6'7" 310+ with LT feet and athleticism...plus we know he has the blood-lines. Laughing

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Emcee wrote:

From what I've gathered, he either has four different 2 million dollar roster bonuses or had a 8 million dollar roster bonus prorated. I'm not sure which it is. It does make a significant difference.

STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Emcee wrote:

From what I've gathered, he either has four different 2 million dollar roster bonuses or had a 8 million dollar roster bonus prorated. I'm not sure which it is. It does make a significant difference.

The first 2 years he had $1 million salary, $1 million signing bonus, and $2 million roster/misc bonus or whatever it was. That was all guaranteed, which is $8 million total. He still has $6 million in guaranteed money left. Correct?

Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Emcee wrote:

The first 2 years he had $1 million salary, $1 million signing bonus, and $2 million roster/misc bonus or whatever it was. That was all guaranteed, which is $8 million total. He still has $6 million in guaranteed money left. Correct? Or was he given $4 million extra when he signed or this last year?

Sorry for hijacking your thread by the way.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guaranteed money doesn't always literally mean guaranteed. A roster bonus is considered guaranteed but a player may not receive it.

My issue is that I don't know if the roster bonus was paid all at once or is paid in 4 parts.

The guaranteed money is all accounted for:
4 million signing bonus
2 million guaranteed base salaries
8 million in roster bonuses

That adds up to 14 million.

StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Guaranteed money doesn't always literally mean guaranteed. A roster bonus is considered guaranteed but a player may not receive it.

My issue is that I don't know if the roster bonus was paid all at once or is paid in 4 parts.

The guaranteed money is all accounted for:
4 million signing bonus
2 million guaranteed base salaries
8 million in roster bonuses

That adds up to 14 million.
Yea, the roster Bonus is usually reported as "guaranteed money" but isnt guaranteed until he is on the roster on that date, then kicks in.

I cant find any more indepth info on the contract right now, but from what I had heard was that those are all "still to be earned monies". Could be wrong, not sure.

If we can save $7mil this year, and $10mil next, then its a no-brainer. If its only $3mil this year, we have a whole different situation.

There was also a report today that we have approached Mikell about restructuring (which might support the $3mil saving if cut)
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

What? If he's only seeing 3 or so targets a game then Percy Harvin isn't going to see more. He's the same type of player and fills the same role.

Rok, imo, is a better fit at RG and would compete with Harvey Dahl who is getting up there in age.

As for Long, he has great size and athleticism but is raw, he's pretty much Paul Boudreau's dream prospect. 6'7" 310+ with LT feet and athleticism...plus we know he has the blood-lines. Laughing

One thing I have noticed when watching Tavon is his elusiveness, speed, quick feet, and vision account for a lot of times he doesn't even take a hit. He looks like he is going to be blown up but ends up blowing by the tackler and getting out of bounds.

I'm really wondering what Rok is going to look like. If we had Rok at RG and Warmack at LG we would have some massive men to move in the middle.

Pick 2 and 13
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

One thing I have noticed when watching Tavon is his elusiveness, speed, quick feet, and vision account for a lot of times he doesn't even take a hit. He looks like he is going to be blown up but ends up blowing by the tackler and getting out of bounds.

I'm really wondering what Rok is going to look like. If we had Rok at RG and Warmack at LG we would have some massive men to move in the middle.

Yea, Tavon has never missed a game in college because he's very smart about avoiding hits. Often gets what's there and dives down or gets out of bounds. Rarely takes hits. And he's ridiculously hard to line up for a big shot because of how quick he is. If you try to blow him up, you'll probably end up looking foolish.

Flounch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not drafting 2 WR with our 2 first round pick......forget about it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: