Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OAK-DET to coach Senior Bowl.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raidin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if one week of coaching will suddenly turn these players into thugs. Peoples stupidity on this forum never ceases to surprise me.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
As if one week of coaching will suddenly turn these players into thugs. Peoples stupidity on this forum never ceases to surprise me.

College seniors being coached for one week by NFL coaches might not turn them into thugs, but it might change their mindset and they'll think "this is how they do things in the NFL...", and obviously Schwartz has a history of disciplinary issues within his team, soooo...yeah....

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:

You're taking it that literal? I'm pretty sure it's just a joke.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... Did DA say he was sending Ice Cube to coach via proxy cause DA = Not Thug at all.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Raidin wrote:

College seniors being coached for one week by NFL coaches might not turn them into thugs, but it might change their mindset and they'll think "this is how they do things in the NFL...", and obviously Schwartz has a history of disciplinary issues within his team, soooo...yeah....

Not really. For this one week of coaching and prep where they "get their mindset changed" they have months of mentoring from those scheduling and orchestrating their pro days, months of planning and executing at the combine, the actual week of the combine, several months of interviews and pro days, private workouts...

The minute many of these Seniors played their last snap as a college football player, their lives have now suddenly went 24/7 in regards to prep for scouting season. They've hired agents, who have assigned them nutritionists, personal trainers, positional coaches - these people are now fine tuning the player, getting them in the gym, monitoring their food intake, scripting every throw and every run the player will have to take between now and the draft. Collin Klein played his last game at K-State yesterday, and I can be certain in saying that this morning was dedicated to sitting down with the people listed above and going over everything - what his diet will look like every day over the next three months, what his workouts will be like, what drills he will be running between now and the combine, advanced film and playbook study, exactly what throws he will be making on his pro day - scouting season is where millions of dollars are earned (or lost) and the minute a player makes a decision that they will be auditioning to be in the NFL, the process consumes every waking moment.

If ONE WEEK of exposure to Schwartz is suddenly going to alter a player's mind - after months and months of preperation before the game, and months and months of work after the game - then maybe that player needs to re-think their career choice.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior Bowl is so close, Draft will come on us soon!

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Raidin wrote:

Not really. For this one week of coaching and prep where they "get their mindset changed" they have months of mentoring from those scheduling and orchestrating their pro days, months of planning and executing at the combine, the actual week of the combine, several months of interviews and pro days, private workouts...

The minute many of these Seniors played their last snap as a college football player, their lives have now suddenly went 24/7 in regards to prep for scouting season. They've hired agents, who have assigned them nutritionists, personal trainers, positional coaches - these people are now fine tuning the player, getting them in the gym, monitoring their food intake, scripting every throw and every run the player will have to take between now and the draft. Collin Klein played his last game at K-State yesterday, and I can be certain in saying that this morning was dedicated to sitting down with the people listed above and going over everything - what his diet will look like every day over the next three months, what his workouts will be like, what drills he will be running between now and the combine, advanced film and playbook study, exactly what throws he will be making on his pro day - scouting season is where millions of dollars are earned (or lost) and the minute a player makes a decision that they will be auditioning to be in the NFL, the process consumes every waking moment.

If ONE WEEK of exposure to Schwartz is suddenly going to alter a player's mind - after months and months of preperation before the game, and months and months of work after the game - then maybe that player needs to re-think their career choice.

Yeah, I can agree with this.

Off-topic, but reading the bolded section really made me wish I had access to this kind of stuff as a D3 baseball player, or you know, had the money to hire people to create diet plans for me and drill workouts and schedules and all that stuff Sad

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Raidin wrote:

One week of practice where all they do is learn the nuances of lining up under center, running basic routes, and play in a vanilla defensive scheme, is going to change their mindset and make them undisciplined. I've heard it all now Laughing

Quote:
Peoples stupidity on this forum never ceases to surprise me.

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwartz doesn't have a problem with disciplining players, it's his players (Titus) that aren't disciplined.

R.I.P. Stylish
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Schwartz doesn't have a problem with disciplining players, it's his players (Titus) that aren't disciplined.

Ummmm....? Yeah that's the same thing, bro.

BlaqOptic wrote:
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Your a joke if you think that's remotely the same thing.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
the Viking staff coached in the Senior Bowl last year and said it was very valuable.

they saw S Harrison Smith play in the game but intentionally never showed any public interest in him or interviewed him or tried him out. Smith had no idea he was on the Vikings' radar, which he was all along given they traded up to draft him.

I agree, coaching the senior bowl is a very valuable scouting advantage. That's why they always offer it to the worst teams in the league. I never really understood why teams would turn it down (other than the teams that were firing their coaching staff and didn't have the new staff in yet).The 49ers used the senior bowl in 2007 to get a very close look at Joe Staley and ended up trading back up into the first to pick him up. Two probowls later, its looking like a very good pick.

Yep. Two years ago, Wade Phillips was the coach of the Senior Bowl...and he got a very up close and personal look at this DE from Wisconsin...JJ Watt. Despite the Texans already having a similar player in terms of size, speed and athletic ability in Mario Williams, Phillips' advised on what he saw firsthand from Watt, and dictated that the Texans would select him 11th overall. Wade basically said "I'll figure out what we're gonna do with Mario, but under no circumstances can we let this Watt kid play for anyone else..."

You can go to the combine and watch tape and interview old coaches and go to pro days and interview the kids...all of that stuff can lead to a lot of nothing; You have to actually sit down with the guys, give 'em instruction and see how they execute, how they pick themselves up after a bad play, how they respond to adversity, and how they handle success to gauge whether or not they have what it takes to grow in this league, and coaching this game usually means you're a step ahead of the scouting process vs the remainder of the field.

Thanks for sharing that story. I found it really interesting.

The only problem is that I have zero faith in the Lions ability to properly evaluate talent and make the right selections. Calvin, Stafford, and Suh don't count. Those were all no-brainer's.
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, how exactly did Wade Philips get to look at JJ Watt, he didn't coach the Senior Bowl according to this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Senior_Bowl

Posted this in the Lions forum, but after looking at teams' draft records, don't expect much from either Oakland or Detroit. If they draft anyone from the Senior Bowl, it'll most likely be 1 guy in the later rounds, if at all.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Leave out the bolded part next time. You didn't need to take it there.
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Leave out the bolded part next time. You didn't need to take it there.

Sorry :/

Thought about editing it but never got around to it, suppose it's easier to just not do it though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: