Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap Situation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Cap Situation Reply with quote

Quote:
The Panthers currently have $136 million committed toward a 2013 salary cap that is expected to be slightly more than $120 million. Letís look at some guys who could be on the cap bubble.

Beason: The logical scenario for him is a contract restructure to knock his cap figure down. Beason currently has a $9.5 million cap figure and $3.75 million of his $5.25 base salary for this year is guaranteed. Beason also has $12 million in outstanding pro-rated money.

Williams: He has an $8.2 cap figure. He also has $9.6 million in outstanding pro-rated money. They only way the Panthers would benefit from releasing him would be to designate him as a June 1 cut and take a $4.8 million hit for him this year and the same in 2014.

Chris Gamble: Itís sad to say, but the Panthers almost have to cut their best cornerback, because he can provide more cap relief than anyone on the roster. Gamble has a $10.9 million cap figure. The Panthers could free up $7.9 million by releasing him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/43821/carolinas-nightmare-cap-situation

Thanks CK
ericr0319

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is so frustrating. our cap situation prevents us from doing anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if we cut Williams, Gamble, Edwards and Nakamura, we would be under the cap by a mere million.

I really don't think we should cut Gamble, but we might not have a choice.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Grange90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that both Josh Norman and Josh Thomas played, I wouldn't be too upset if we cut Gamble.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players coming back from injury are difficult to rely on. Gamble's injury was a shoulder, which is great but it might make him less physical. That last part doesn't work for Rivera's defense.

If Gamble gets cut, I'd think they might look at Quentin Jammer as a cheaper veteran who has been very durable.
Mad Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the pox on our house caused by Marty Hurney lives on.

At least we have all our draft picks this year ....
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Man wrote:
And the pox on our house caused by Marty Hurney lives on.

At least we have all our draft picks this year ....

Not sure if serious...[/img]

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
89 06 MVP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut Gamble, the way our D played this year without him I'm sure we will be okay without him.Move Beason or restructure his contract. Restructure J.Gross contract & move him to RT he is no longer a LT in the NFL.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grange90 wrote:
The way that both Josh Norman and Josh Thomas played, I wouldn't be too upset if we cut Gamble.

There is no way we could have Thomas and Norman being our starting cbs, we would get burned all day especially with the receivers we have to deal with in out own division

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Mike Davis Watch
80 CAR 368 YDS 3TDS
rjkilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats really sad is gamble is our best corner. there's ton of love for him here but i don't see why. he's not a playmaker, not particularly stout against the run. he's only reached double digit PD 3 times in his career. cut that man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
whats really sad is gamble is our best corner. there's ton of love for him here but i don't see why. he's not a playmaker, not particularly stout against the run. he's only reached double digit PD 3 times in his career. cut that man

He's had 6 seasons with 10+ PDs. Would have been 7 but he only played 11 games in 2010.

Gamble might be inconsistent but he's a good corner, especially in Rivera's scheme.
BringinDaPain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
rjkilla wrote:

He's had 6 seasons with 10+ PDs. Would have been 7 but he only played 11 games in 2010.

Gamble might be inconsistent but he's a good corner, especially in Rivera's scheme.

True but is he worth anywhere near $10.9 million?

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
89 06 MVP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
rjkilla wrote:

With a 7.9 million cap figure & coming off IR Gamble got to be cut...Plus he up there in age. Its time to move on & let go.Gamble is a good CB not great & this team will be better off with out him with the pass rush we have now.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringinDaPain wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
rjkilla wrote:

True but is he worth anywhere near $10.9 million?

No, I don't think he is. I agree we need to let him go for the sake of helping us out cap wise. But he's a much better corner than he was being made out to be in the post I quoted.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/player/chrisgamble/2506101/profile

maybe you're going by the teams stats? i don't take those seriously because we all know teams inflate their players numbers. according to nfl.com he's only done it 3 times. 08, 09, and 2011. he's alright i guess but not what i want out of a #1 corner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: