Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Percy Harvin 5 Round Mock, by J.R.S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Percy Harvin 5 Round Mock, by J.R.S Reply with quote

Re-Signings

Steven Jackson
Joe Barksdale
Rocky McIntosh
Brandon Gibson
Mike McNeil

Rams Cuts

Q. Mikell
Wayne Hunter

Trades

Rams send their 2013 2nd round pick to the Minnesota Vikings in exchange for WR/KR Percy Harvin. His contract is extended to 4 yrs/35 million.

The Vikings and Percy finally come to a breaking point. The Rams immediately fill two dire needs of this offense; A versatile red zone weapon, and an electric kick returner. For those who haven't heard me harp, the Rams were last in the league in average starting field position in 2012. Percy has averaged a whopping 10 touches per game in his recent career, despite the Viking's heavy reliance on AP and the poor play of Ponder.

Free Agent Signings

Phil Loadholt, Tackle
Yeremiah Bell, Strong Safety

2013 NFL Draft

Round 1, Pick 16-Chance Warmack, Offensive Guard

Most years, this would be too early to pick a guard for me. Given our team needs and the talent left on the board, this pick just makes sense.

Round 1, Pick 23-Zach Ertz, Tight End

Finally, a physically imposing red zone option for Sam. Our locker room and team mentality will toughen this kid up and enable him to reach pro-bowl level play.

Round 3-Phillip Thomas, Free Safety

I'm hoping this big, physical, turnover machine of a safety doesn't fly up draft boards. Hopefully his past injuries and lack of elite competition will make him available to us in the 3rd.

Round 4-John Simon, OLB/5 Technique

Here's a 262 pound, high motor player that was the heart and soul of Ohio State's defense. He can put his hand down and rush an interior position, set the edge against the run, and plays fairly well in space even for his size. He rotates with Rocky McIntosh for starting time alongside Dunbar and JL-55.

Round 5-E.J. Manuel, QB

He's big, mobile, has a strong arm, but needs to be developed considerably. A nice project and wildcard in case of a Sam Bradford injury.

*For rounds 6 and 7, enter your own favorite sleepers I guess. I haven't gone through the prospects extensively enough at this point. These rounds are completely unpredictable anyway.

2013 Changes to the Ram's Starting Lineup

-Warmack and Loadholt join the offensive line. Talk about a group of monsters.....

-Percy Harvin replaces Danny Amendola

-Brian Quick replaces Brandon Gibson

-S-Jax sees reduced carries, but takes on the majority of blocking duties in the backfield

-John Simon replaces Mario Haggan

-Two new safeties, the hard hitting Yeremiah Bell, and the turnover machine, Phillip Thomas.

That's all folks.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly not a fan of the Percy trade but i will focus on the positives.

Love the Bell signing and EJ Manuel in the 5th. Will he make it to the 5th?... I would be very surprised. I think hes a 4th rounder at the latest but most likely taken in the 3rd.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Greg Robinson
ctp2124

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I argued that I was in favor of getting Percy, but after seeing this trade I don't really like it. The only receiver that was reliable this year all season when healthy was Amendola. Essentially you have just upgraded that position, but nothing else. This isn't the improvement I would like to see with our WRs. I know you have us selecting Ertz, who I like, but I really want a big time receiver for Bradford.

I'd prefer replacing Ertz with Terrance Williams and then replace Simon with Otten/Escobar/Reed.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Clearly not a fan of the Percy trade but i will focus on the positives.

Love the Bell signing and EJ Manuel in the 5th. Will he make it to the 5th?... I would be very surprised. I think hes a 4th rounder at the latest but most likely taken in the 3rd.

I hoped to bring the Percy Harvin debate to this thread, because it is a good one.

You could be right about Manuel not making it that far, but this draft seems to be heavy with developmental QBs. One of them will make it to this spot, I hope it is him.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctp2124 wrote:
I argued that I was in favor of getting Percy, but after seeing this trade I don't really like it. The only receiver that was reliable this year all season when healthy was Amendola. Essentially you have just upgraded that position, but nothing else. This isn't the improvement I would like to see with our WRs. I know you have us selecting Ertz, who I like, but I really want a big time receiver for Bradford.

I'd prefer replacing Ertz with Terrance Williams and then replace Simon with Otten/Escobar/Reed.

That seems to be the sticking point for most people, that Harvin is merely an upgrade over Amendola. Danny doesn't come close to Harvin's speed or his ability to gain yards after the catch. I love Amendola, don't get me wrong. But Harvin also immediately takes our return game from one of the worst, to one of the best.

Terrance Williams was definitely a consideration, but I don't see the value in drafting him to take Quick's job. It would just be replacing an inexperienced player with another. Then again, not everyone believes in Quick just yet. Heck, neither do I, but it is too early to give up on him.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i already spent my maximum energy on that arguement and at this point if you want percy you want percy and thats that. For me its not so much what he can do or not do its more about his inability to stay healthy.

But anyway, yes I have been in the process of making my next mock in which i have considered putting Manuel in the 3rd. Very Steve McNair-esque Wink. If i was a GM of one of these teams who needed a QB I would strongly consider him as early as the 2nd. I think hes underrated.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Greg Robinson
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ertz a lot but I don't really like us taking a TE in the first round.
El ramster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather have Tavon Austin.. Dude is a Percy Harvin close.

Wait I'm doing it again, PERCY HARVIN 4 PREZ!!

"Hot Pie" -House Hot Pie, All hail the King.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:

I'm assuming that you meant he is a Percy Harvin "clone".

No, he isn't. He's 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter. He reminds me more of LaMicheal James than Percy Harvin. His footwork and quickness in cutting is breath taking though.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
I like Ertz a lot but I don't really like us taking a TE in the first round.

I don't really either, but I'm not as impressed with other late 1st round prospects as I am with Ertz.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Yeah i already spent my maximum energy on that arguement and at this point if you want percy you want percy and thats that. For me its not so much what he can do or not do its more about his inability to stay healthy.

But anyway, yes I have been in the process of making my next mock in which i have considered putting Manuel in the 3rd. Very Steve McNair-esque Wink. If i was a GM of one of these teams who needed a QB I would strongly consider him as early as the 2nd. I think hes underrated.

Percy has played 14, 15, and 16 games in his three NFL seasons prior to this year. He got injured in week 8 this year, and was put on season ending IR due to a non-serious injury that just was getting a proper chance to heal.

If that history makes him injury prone, then what does Amendola's make him? An injury certainty?

Do you thin the 5'9, 170 lb. Tavon Austin will be able to handle the kind of workload Percy has? I doubt it, as talented as he is.

Last edited by The J.R.S. on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ctp2124

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
ctp2124 wrote:

That seems to be the sticking point for most people, that Harvin is merely an upgrade over Amendola. Danny doesn't come close to Harvin's speed or his ability to gain yards after the catch. I love Amendola, don't get me wrong. But Harvin also immediately takes our return game from one of the worst, to one of the best.

Terrance Williams was definitely a consideration, but I don't see the value in drafting him to take Quick's job. It would just be replacing an inexperienced player with another. Then again, not everyone believes in Quick just yet. Heck, neither do I, but it is too early to give up on him.

You make a good point about Quick. The FO needs to decide if he can step up next year. If he can, then a group of him, Givens, and Amendola, to go along with Kendricks and Ertz isn't bad.

I hope Quick plays like a more athletic/consistent Brandon Gibson next year. He has a lot of talent, and if he can put it together he will solve one of our biggest needs. Though, I doubt he does it.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Percy has played 14, 15, and 16 games in his three NFL seasons prior to this year. He got injured in week 8 this year, and was put on season ending IR due to a non-serious injury that just was getting a proper chance to heal.

If that history makes him injury prone, then what does Amendola's make him? An injury certainty?

Do you thin the 5'9, 170 lb. Tavon Austin will be able to handle the kind of workload Percy has? I doubt it, as talented as he is.

Quickly on the topic of Ertz, I would prefer Eifert because IMO their blocking abilities or lack there of is about the same, but Eifert is a better receiving threat.

Percy may have played games but he always has had issues with migraines and concussions and I think it will only get worse from here on out. And TBH, I love Amendola as much as anyone but I think the same goes for him. I would love for Pettis to take over the slot. Which I think he can.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Greg Robinson
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Percy Harvin 5 Round Mock, by J.R.S Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:

For those who haven't heard me harp, the Rams were last in the league in average starting field position in 2012.

Where are you finding that? Because we were about middle of the pack in average kick return yards, and averaged about the same (just point 2 more) as the Vikes. Even if you take into account what the Vikes averaged last year, per kick return, it's about the same as we had this year.

link to this years average return yards. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/returning/position/defense

As for the mock, we still need a #1. Percy is not a red-zone threat. Ertz will help in the red-zone though.

EDIT: The more I think about it. Are you trying to recreate the Viking offense?

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
El ramster wrote:

I'm assuming that you meant he is a Percy Harvin "clone".

No, he isn't. He's 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter. He reminds me more of LaMicheal James than Percy Harvin. His footwork and quickness in cutting is breath taking though.

He's nothing at all like LaMichael James.

For the mock, there's good aspects and bad ones. I hate the idea of signing Yeremiah Bell. Don't think EJ Manuel falls to the 5th and the John Simon pick simply doesn't make sense to me. I don't think see how he fits the role you're trying to use him in.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: