Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones Reply with quote

Seeing as both JJ and Jordy are going to be free agents soon, I was thinking that we'll likely lose at least one of them. They'll both be around 30 by the time they hit free agency, and I doubt we'll be able to afford both of them. Who do you guys think is more likely to stay in GB? I think Jones is much more likely because although he led the league in TD's this past year, he isn't nearly as a big a name as Jordy. What do you all think?
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
Seeing as both JJ and Jordy are going to be free agents soon, I was thinking that we'll likely lose at least one of them. They'll both be around 30 by the time they hit free agency, and I doubt we'll be able to afford both of them. Who do you guys think is more likely to stay in GB? I think Jones is much more likely because although he led the league in TD's this past year, he isn't nearly as a big a name as Jordy. What do you all think?
Jordy. Jones is more of a possession WR, while Jordy has the potential to be a #1 WR, even if he's now hamstrung
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will both of them become FAs the same year? If not I wonder if TT will try to extend them both one at a time...? Think

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Will both of them become FAs the same year? If not I wonder if TT will try to extend them both one at a time...? Think
Nah, just Jones. Jordy has another year IIRC
ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:
Jordy. Jones is more of a possession WR, while Jordy has the potential to be a #1 WR, even if he's now hamstrung

Yeah, Jordy has more potential, but he's a bigger name and will be more expensive. I don't know if we can assume he'll stay here.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:

Yeah, Jordy has more potential, but he's a bigger name and will be more expensive. I don't know if we can assume he'll stay here.
It's not just potential. Nelson's mold tends to have a longer career than Jones'.
AaronCharles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but because of their contract situations as OP said, I would not be surprised to see WR very high this year. (Then again, wouldn't be surprised to see it not addressed till late either, cause its TT but moreso than if we went that way early.)

[quote="DainTrain28"](Reggie White's four year, $17 million deal was larceny).[/quote]

Clearly unaware that White got the largest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.
spilltray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this season: James Jones and Jermichael Finley
After next season: Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb

All 4 are FA within the next 2 years. I can't see any other way around it than to invest heavily in passcatchers this year to get them ready. I'm going to guess that we end up keeping 2 and losing 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Jones and Finley walk next offseason.

I'd bet on Nelson. He has the better skillset more consistent production, and the price between the two of them isn't going to be that huge of a difference. Last time around, the Packers were willing to let Jones test the market in FA, but Nelson they locked up pretty early with an extension. That's pretty telling.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything getting decided until at least mid way through the season. In the end I believe all of Jordy's, James' and Jermichael's futures are up in the air right now.

I could see any or all walking to be honest but not all staying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While unavoidable and absolutely necessary, the Rodgers, Matthews contracts are really going to put a damper on handing out 6 million dollar extensions. Imagine if we still had Collins contract on the books. Off the top of my head, Pickett may be the only expiring large contract in the near future . I would add Hawk to that list but we may be stuck with him. With a plateau in the cap, I see tough days ahead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:

It's not just potential. Nelson's mold tends to have a longer career than Jones'.

No way Nelson's game translates into his thirties like Jones' will.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thought about Jordy Nelson and James Jones Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:

No way Nelson's game translates into his thirties like Jones' will.
How many possession receivers over 30 see much if any success? Nelson my end up having to change his game, but I'm convinced he'll have the longer career.
ECPackers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way the packers are letting either guy go. Also, jones is considerably better than Nelson.

All Nelson ever does is get injured, and fail to produce if two other wr studs aren't on the field.
Bucks
Badgers
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECPackers wrote:
There's no way the packers are letting either guy go. Also, jones is considerably better than Nelson.

All Nelson ever does is get injured, and fail to produce if two other wr studs aren't on the field.

uhhh why?

I'd be shocked if both are back. It's quite unlikely.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we may already have Jones' replacement in Jarrett Boykin. I'm interested to see his development this preseason. If he picks it up that can be his role, and for a much friendlier cap hit.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: