Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Don Barclay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooters22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody really think this guy is anything more than just a good fill in type guy? I see him as a average RT, but that may be good enough to move Bulaga to LT. Thoughts?
MMcKay16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
Does anybody really think this guy is anything more than just a good fill in type guy? I see him as a average RT, but that may be good enough to move Bulaga to LT. Thoughts?

Solid player, can get us out of a game or fill in for a few games nicely for us. As for moving Bulaga to LT, hes one of the top 3 or 4 RTs in the game, why mess with a good thing?
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
I find your opinion a bit naive, kind of a reach. He's a G/RT like Lang, only with run and pass blocking switched. He needed a lot of help at Tackle, I'd rather he stuck to Guard, where I see a bright future for him.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect world, Datko is good to go and backs up a starting Sherrod that takes the job day one and doesn't look back ( or day 730 whatever it is) and Newhouse backs up the RT spot with Barclay moving inside to back up a guard spot with a mid round pick. It could happen as all signs are pointing to Sherrod being 100% good to go for TC. That would be one of the best lines of paper in the NFL if everything went right. The draft again should give us a decent hint at what they are thinking is going to happen (i.e. only one mid round interior guy versus a couple of olineman, etc.)
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmikep wrote:
Thoughts: Packers draft Jonathan Cooper or Barrett Jones (both can play guard and center) and move Bryan Bulaga to LOT & move Lang to ROT.

I think Bulaga can be one of the better RTs in this league so I hope they leave him there. Lang is a better guard than tackle. If Sherrod's leg is healed he could be quite a force. This man is enormous so he'd be one heck of a problem for defenders to deal with once he gets some experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Terranimal wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
As others have said here, if Sherrod turns out to be a player at left tackle this line looks about as sound as any on paper moving forward. Depth should be a plus at that point also if they keep Newhouse under contract. As crazy as it sounds right now the depth looks far better outside than in moving forward. Might need to bring a body or two in there pending on how Datko develops at tackle and what they end up doing with Barclay.

Barclay could go either way(guard/RT) at this point. Much better guard prospect IMO though. It will be easy to see how they view him long term by how they mold that body in the offseason. His movement skills and bend are not good enough for him to get much bigger than he is right now if they plan on keeping him at tackle. Much of the tackle value will be lost if ya start molding him into a guard(see Lang). You don't want to walk the line with their body's though either because that can also add up to value lost(see Colledge). They need to come up with a long term plan for Barclay and run with it.

I hope so. I really like the guy on the inside but knowing he can fill in at RT, I wouldn't bet on them moving him inside until they are confident Sherrod and/or Datko are going to be ready to go. It just seems to be the direction they've taken before like you mentioned in Colledge and Lang early in his career walking the line.

Sadly, odds are VERY high that's how it will play out for Barclay. I just feel this Packers team has missed out on some good line play because of this line of thinking. Colledge is a prime example! Zone takes him, packs on 15lbs, and he is now by far the best lineman on that roster. Just think what could have been had this Packers staff done so from day1.

This going a bit off-topic, but on another board there has been big time discussions over O-Line.

It's always the same question- Is it the players or is it the O-line coaching that's the problem?

Thompson has spent a lot of picks on the OL and cut many of them as well, who didn't make it here and they gave up on, only to see them as starters on other teams later.

Colledge though was a money/cap issue, as more then likely was Wells.

Tell them to watch the games and look to see if it's a talent or tech issue. There have been a ton of very young lineman that have played for the Packers over the years that were all things in tech sound. This staff should get it's strokes for this IMO. Sadly, talent and the level of development at the time of play has been a issue over the years as well.

Every team has a few get away because of money. That's just life of todays NFL. Only one that got away because they just gave up too soon was Big Breno IMO. I sure as hell don't blame TT for that one though. You can only mold that RTO for so long and Bulaga came along. At least they were smart enough to bring back EDS when they had the chance.

Somebody is doing some serious teaching to get a kid like Barclay ready to step in for Bulaga like he did. Was he wonderful? No, but good enough to get by with a little help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Barclay showed enough last year he could be a starter for us. That being said he is blocked by Bulaga who when healthy is one of the best young right tackles in the league and he is blocked at both guard spots. The only way I can see him entering the starting line is if Sherrod isn't healthy and Bulaga moves to LT making room for Barclay at RT.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd honestly start Newhouse at RT before Barclay. Sherrod showed more in his limited playing time IMO.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
I'd honestly start Newhouse at RT before Barclay. Sherrod showed more in his limited playing time IMO.

I agree with you on both points. I think Newhouse could start on more than his share of teams at RT. Barclay has some real flaws at tackle, though I love the way he plays the game. Just think if that's a long term NFL starter it will come at guard where his mindset and style of play will hold a bit more true for him.

And yes, Sherrod is CLEARLY a far more special pure talent than both. No way in hell I give up on that movement at scale any time soon. Man moves like an athletic 300lb lineman and I bet he will be playing closer to 340lbs than 300lbs. I was not a huge Sherrod guy on draft day but it had very little to do with his ability level.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

I agree with you on both points. I think Newhouse could start on more than his share of teams at RT. Barclay has some real flaws at tackle, though I love the way he plays the game. Just think if that's a long term NFL starter it will come at guard where his mindset and style of play will hold a bit more true for him.

And yes, Sherrod is CLEARLY a far more special pure talent than both. No way in hell I give up on that movement at scale any time soon. Man moves like an athletic 300lb lineman and I bet he will be playing closer to 340lbs than 300lbs. I was not a huge Sherrod guy on draft day but it had very little to do with his ability level.

What were your concerns then?
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

What were your concerns then?

I liked him a great deal. Just did not love him. Too nice for me to fall in love with and has a odd body type. Very high hips/long legs and it makes for some leverage/health issues. Also why I for one like him with a few more pounds on the frame. Every DE in the league will be thinking bull rush when they see his set!

In short, there is much to him that makes me think he better hit at LT or you have a bust pick it terms of value. He might be able to play RT if it comes to that(still poor value for what he would be over there) but I don't see anything that makes me think he can excel inside.

Some very real risk in drafting players like that at that slot. TT is willing to take that shot at a premium position and good for him in doing so. Often times when GM's feel good about their job being safe it leads to stud football players. Guess we'll see!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody else feel or heard anything about Bulaga possibly being a better guard than tackle? What I mean by this is that he is a very good RT, could possibly be a good LT, but would be a phenominal G. I've heard that conversation more than once on my radio station that I listen to.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
Does anybody else feel or heard anything about Bulaga possibly being a better guard than tackle? What I mean by this is that he is a very good RT, could possibly be a good LT, but would be a phenominal G. I've heard that conversation more than once on my radio station that I listen to.
Bulaga is an elite RT already, and could end up the best in the game. Why are you so obsessed with moving him? Don't mess with a good thing unless you have to.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
cooters22 wrote:
Bulaga is an elite RT already, and could end up the best in the game. Why are you so obsessed with moving him? Don't mess with a good thing unless you have to.

I read the other day where NFL scouts were saying Newhouse is really a RT - which is no shocker I know, so the Packers are pretty set at RT. LT is the one big OL issue for every team and the Packers are no exception. I could accept an excellent RT in Bulaga being a competent LT because the team has options at RT. I keep going back to the MM statement where he said he isn't sure where Sherrod is at this point in his recovery. We may soon find out if TT drafts both a Center and LT this year.
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
cooters22 wrote:

I read the other day where NFL scouts were saying Newhouse is really a RT - which is no shocker I know, so the Packers are pretty set at RT. LT is the one big OL issue for every team and the Packers are no exception. I could accept an excellent RT in Bulaga being a competent LT because the team has options at RT. I keep going back to the MM statement where he said he isn't sure where Sherrod is at this point in his recovery. We may soon find out if TT drafts both a Center and LT this year.

When did MM say that? Can you provide a link? I don't recall him saying anything like that about Sherrod lately...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: