Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Don Barclay
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirty Harry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Don Barclay Reply with quote

Has he shown enough to where we can slide Bryan Bulaga to Left Tackle, or do we keep him as a swing lineman and go another year with Newhouse?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Barclay Reply with quote

Dirty Harry wrote:
Has he shown enough to where we can slide Bryan Bulaga to Left Tackle, or do we keep him as a swing lineman and go another year with Newhouse?
The latter, but Sherrod takes over LT the year after that.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Barclay Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping that Sherrod can come in healthy to TC and be our opening day starter. Newhouse has proven he is more than serviceable, but I don't think the staff is delusional- they want Sherrod starting as soon as he is healthy enough to do so. No doubt in my mind that his upside is exponentially higher than Newhouse's. The man just needs some playing time.

As for Barclay, if we get a healthy Sherrod back in time for this offseason (draft time in particular) then I feel pretty confident going into camp with Newhouse, Sherrod, Bulaga, and Barclay.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Barclay Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping that Sherrod can come in healthy to TC and be our opening day starter. Newhouse has proven he is more than serviceable, but I don't think the staff is delusional- they want Sherrod starting as soon as he is healthy enough to do so. No doubt in my mind that his upside is exponentially higher than Newhouse's. The man just needs some playing time.

As for Barclay, if we get a healthy Sherrod back in time for this offseason (draft time in particular) then I feel pretty confident going into camp with Newhouse, Sherrod, Bulaga, and Barclay.
I don't believe Sherrod can beat Newhouse off the bat, or even make it close enough to give consideration, it will take some practice time, especially if Newhouse continues to develop. That being said, I wouldn mind immediately starting Sherrod to exponentiate his development.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Barclay Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:

I don't believe Sherrod can beat Newhouse off the bat, or even make it close enough to give consideration, it will take some practice time, especially if Newhouse continues to develop. That being said, I wouldn mind immediately starting Sherrod to exponentiate his development.
That practice time would come during camp, there are a lot of practice reps between the start of camps and week 1. He'll have to make strides and get in form quickly but the talent is there. Really no different than Nick Perry starting day one of camp.

As for Barclay, I don't really consider it a good thing if he's starting but he's a great depth guy. He brings that different dimension and attitude to the line but pass pro isn't his strength and that is the team's bread and butter. I haven't watched him exclusively but I haven't seen that his feet are fast enough for rushers and feet aren't something that are easily improved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are quite a few teams out there that would like Don Barclay on their squad at guard. What a find he's been for us. It will be interesting to see where/how he fits in the rotation next year with Sherrod/Bulaga back. I'm assuming he'll be working on RT/OG in various scenarios in camp.

"Success isn't measured by money or power or social rank. Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace."
- Mike Ditka
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very good about our OL once we get a LT, Newhouse and Barclay are great swing lineman that can get you through a game. I think Datko and Allard on the PS also have that potential. Just need the LT, hopefully that will be Sherrod.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
I feel very good about our OL once we get a LT, Newhouse and Barclay are great swing lineman that can get you through a game. I think Datko and Allard on the PS also have that potential. Just need the LT, hopefully that will be Sherrod.
No kidding. I have a daily debate with myself, half of me wants to get Eric Fisher from CMU and just be set at LT and the other half says that Sherrod is the answer and we don't need to spend another 1st on an OT. I guess thats why Ted gets the big bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
No kidding. I have a daily debate with myself, half of me wants to get Eric Fisher from CMU and just be set at LT and the other half says that Sherrod is the answer and we don't need to spend another 1st on an OT. I guess thats why Ted gets the big bucks.

I have no problems grabbing someone like Fisher to play LT, I'd much rather have the problem of having too much talent on the OL than not enough. Just not a fan of Newhouse at LT long-term and I don't see anyone on the roster minus Sherrod who could be better there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts: Packers draft Jonathan Cooper or Barrett Jones (both can play guard and center) and move Bryan Bulaga to LOT & move Lang to ROT.

Last edited by pmikep on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmikep wrote:
Thoughts: Packers draft Jonathan Cooper or Barrett Jones (both can play guard and center) and move Bryan Bulaga to LOT.
I'm a pretty big Cooper fan, if MM and staff ever were going to move Bulaga it would have happened already IMO. He is locked in at RT, is my guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmikep wrote:
Thoughts: Packers draft Jonathan Cooper or Barrett Jones (both can play guard and center) and move Bryan Bulaga to LOT.
And Lang plays RT? Doesn't seem like Bulaga is the LT type TBH. I might have Newhouse over him there

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Lang plays ROT.
British

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmikep wrote:
Thoughts: Packers draft Jonathan Cooper or Barrett Jones (both can play guard and center) and move Bryan Bulaga to LOT & move Lang to ROT.

And where do we play Sherrod? He's a LT-only type. Can't see Ted giving up on a first round pick who looked good before a freak injury.

Also, if Newhouse makes the same progress from 2012 to 2013 that he did from 2011 to 2012 we'll have a good tackle. .

Barclay and Datko also will get a shot at RT before Lang. Lang is a great guard and a middling RT. no way he gets moved imo.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
pmikep wrote:

And where do we play Sherrod? He's a LT-only type. Can't see Ted giving up on a first round pick who looked good before a freak injury.

Also, if Newhouse makes the same progress from 2012 to 2013 that he did from 2011 to 2012 we'll have a good tackle. .

Barclay and Datko also will get a shot at RT before Lang. Lang is a great guard and a middling RT. no way he gets moved imo.
I don't see Lang as qaulity starting RT though he'll get you through a couple games if he needs too. Lang could end up being the 6th offensive linemen again but he's a plus on the inside in pass pro and that's important in this offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: