Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens LB Ray Lewis will sign a mutli-year deal with ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenchSanchez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would've loved NFL Network better, but this isn't bad.

New York Jets Rutgers Scarlet Knights Brooklyn Nets New York Mets
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have picked NFL Network IMO.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as every time Ray comes on the air, he has to do his dance, I'll watch!

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
and he also has one of the highest football IQ's ever.

So did Marshall Faulk.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
CJ4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His overall leadership skills and confidence should make him easier to listen to then some of the guys on the ESPN panel. Should be good.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the more reason not to watch ESPN

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate ESPN but it does offer a bigger forum and probably able to pay him more money than the NFL Network.
Tom Brady Tribute
Hat Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ex jock with no broadcast experience, with no education in broadcasting, and chances are, he didn't have to go through an audition, lands a multi million dollar job he didn't earn.

Another network decides to give a job to someone with no experience in the field that they're going into. How can any young guy that went to college, received a degree in broadcasting, and has paid his dues by working his way up from small markets to larger markets, ever get a job at any network when all they do is give special treatment to unqualified ex jocks?

Networks like ESPN show they're not about hiring the best, they're just about hiring the most popular.

ESPN has become the sports version of E! Network.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat Man wrote:
Another ex jock with no broadcast experience, with no education in broadcasting, and chances are, he didn't have to go through an audition, lands a multi million dollar job he didn't earn.

Another network decides to give a job to someone with no experience in the field that they're going into. How can any young guy that went to college, received a degree in broadcasting, and has paid his dues by working his way up from small markets to larger markets, ever get a job at any network when all they do is give special treatment to unqualified ex jocks?

Networks like ESPN show they're not about hiring the best, they're just about hiring the most popular.

God forbid they hire an ex-player to offer insight on air about the sport they dedicated their lives to. Yep, I'd rather watch a college graduate who knows little to nothing about football, never played football, and most certainly was never a professional athlete sit there and try to break down the MNF games.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat Man wrote:

They are talking about football. When it comes to that. I would love to listen to Ray Lewis on TV. Why do I want to hear some kid from college talk about the NFL he never played in ? I'm not burning college kids cause I'm one myself but there are tons of other broadcasting options out there.

I dont know about you. But if I had to sit down on sundays and watch RAY LEWIS get me pumped to watched all the games on that day , hell yes I would take it. Hes smart, he knows football, he lives football, ESPN knows he will work hard at his craft cause thats what ray lewis does, thats like a done deal.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ESPN won't suck now?

Nacho Simulation Football League
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have NFL Network so... good choice Ray.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Hat Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
Hat Man wrote:

They are talking about football. When it comes to that. I would love to listen to Ray Lewis on TV. Why do I want to hear some kid from college talk about the NFL he never played in ? I'm not burning college kids cause I'm one myself but there are tons of other broadcasting options out there.

I dont know about you. But if I had to sit down on sundays and watch RAY LEWIS get me pumped to watched all the games on that day , hell yes I would take it. Hes smart, he knows football, he lives football, ESPN knows he will work hard at his craft cause thats what ray lewis does, thats like a done deal.

One aspect of college, and life in general, is to pay attention to details. My quote was,

"How can any young guy that went to college, received a degree in broadcasting, and has paid his dues by working his way up from small markets to larger markets, ever get a job at any network when all they do is give special treatment to unqualified ex jocks?"

The key is, "working his way up from small markets to larger markets". That takes years, and years of hard work. That doesn't qualify someone as being a 'kid from college'.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat Man wrote:

I'd say his 17 years in the NFL makes him more qualified to talk about football vs anyone else out there.

This isn't like Emmitt Smith, who can barely speak English - Ray Lewis has always been the first guy that media types flock to when they want a well thought out sound bite. He's been in front of podiums doing post-game pressers for the better part of 17 years (more than that if you consider the lax approach with the media that was the norm in the NCAA when Lewis was a Playboy All American at The U). He might of been on the other side of the mic for those years, but it's safe to say that between post game pressers and numerous endorsement deals he's had, he's had plenty of time to "audition" for the role.

Quote:

While I do have sympathy for the college grad in broadcasting, this had to be a known roadblock when said college grad was selecting his major and choosing to pursue this dream. It isn't as if this is some new development; Since the 70s, when Howard Cossell was in the booth with Don Meredith for MNF, the pendelum has been swinging towards the ex-jock who might or might not be the better public speaker than the college grad.

As you said, it isn't as if ALL is lost - sports talk radio is still an avenue, as is the growing broadcasting footprint of satellite radio. More jobs are being taken by ex-jocks, yes...but more jobs are out there, just not as prestegious as the ESPN analyst gig.

I was a Business and Finance major in college; Upon graduating, I had no illusions of landing a CFO role with a Fortune 500 company. That was reserved for those who had a vast amount of experience, experience that was usually attained by some non-traditional role. Same should be in play here; These new grads can't expect to walk into the ESPN offices, take King James' chair and demand the seat next to Chris Berman. That role is reserved for someone who has a vast amount of experience, experience gained in a non-traditional way.

Quote:

...and that's the lay of the land, ever since Cossell sat next to Meredith on MNF. This shouldn't be news to someone who chose this field to pursue. In fact, it should be something that is incessantly brought up when pursuing this field.

Quote:

Can't argue with that, but it isn't as if there is a nationally recognized sports broadcasting company that DOESN'T aspire to be an equivalent to ESPN, or the E! Network.

People forget - at the core, football is entertainment. Ergo, the models used in growing this business are in line with what you'd see in...you got it, entertainment.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hat Man wrote:

This post has more fail in it than Mark Sanchez could ever hope for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: