Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 State of The Steelers Part 1 - - OL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Steelers keep Willie Colon?
yes
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
no
92%
 92%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 26

Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: 2012 State of The Steelers Part 1 - - OL Reply with quote

It has been a while since I have posted, but I have stopped by and read throughout the year. I will make my post in depth. The Steelers aren't in the play-offs so we have nine months or so until NFL Season 2013. Here are a few of my thoughts on each offensive lineman and the overall condition of the OL in 2012 and potential for 2013.

2012 State of the Steelers – Offensive Line

The Steelers OL failed to be a consistent driving force for the offense in 2012. Inconsistency and injuries were the major contributing factors of the OL’s woes and the offenses ability to sustain drives, run the ball late, and score points. However there is still some reasons for optimism as a youth movement is evolving a team weakness into a potential offensive strength. Big Ben is the franchise, but the Steelers offense will not be successful until the OL protects the franchise, opens running lanes, creates a push at the point of attack and can play consistently week in and week out.

Big Ben is “an elite QB,” but I believe that he can be one of the top two or three QB’s with a solid running game and consistent pass protection. The OL did improve in overall pass protection. Some of the sacks were a result of the three QB’s holding the ball too long. However, the OL did a better job overall protecting the QB’s in passing situations.

The OL, like most of the team, never got running on all five cylinders. The team was dealt a blow when DeCastro went down in Buffalo during the pre-season. Then one by one Gilbert, Adams and Colon went down as well. The OL sputtered like an engine running with a bad spark plug. Just as they would start to rev up, they would sputter and stall and then try to accelerate again only to sputter.

We can say that the “Young Money Crew” played like the “Small Change Crew” at times, the running backs were injured, missed holes, danced around and even pouted when things didn’t go there way. Big Ben wasn’t the same after being hurt, but a healthy running game and strong OL would help to change some of that. I do see more reason for optimism in 2013. A starting OL of Gilbert, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams along with Beachum, Legursky, Foster and Starks in support should be better in 2013. I think that Foster and Starks could be the odd men out, but you can never count either of them out. I would like to see the Steelers draft a big, beefy OG to play should Colon or DeCastro get injured or need a break. Here’s my individual breakdown of each player.

Mike Adams - - Many fans acted as if Mike Adams was going to be Jake Long or Joe Thomas. It is too early to count out Adams as a legitimate OL prospect. When he struggled in pre-season there were cries of “bust, under achiever, here we go again and another big OL draft mistake!” At times, Adams looked like the big 12 year old playing against his fifteen year old brother and his friends. The good thing is the big little brother eventually grows up and catches up to the big brother.

Adams was a big reason for some of the OL dominance against the Giants and Bengals. He will only get better in that area. Some players transition longer than others. The Redskins Trent Williams struggled as a rookie and early only to become a pro bowl OT with development. I am not sure he will be a future LT, but I (and many others) thought the same thing about Max Starks. Adams has the potential to be a very good RT with his talents. He needs to get stronger and work on his quickness. Adams is learning the difference between NFL pass rushers and pass rushers from Northwestern. If Adams continues to work hard and stay out of trouble, he will be a very solid OT for years to come.

Kelvin Beachum - - During training camp and the preseason, I thought Beachum was an easy cut and destined for the practice squad (in Jacksonville or Oakland). As Gilbert and then Adams went down to injuries, I thought, “We are doomed if this kid has to play every play! Does anyone have Flozell Adams number?”

Beachum responded by putting up three good plays to every one bad paly. Beachum played amazingly consistent for a back-up OG starting at RT especially after his camp and preseason play. With the eye test (I didn’t go back and grade every players play production), he was the most consistent RT when he played. Yes, I think he outplayed Gilbert and Adams overall. Gilbert may be a little better pass blocker and Adams a much better run blocker, but Beachum was better at each player’s weakness.

Beachum was better at pass blocking than Adams, but because of his lack of size and strength, he didn’t generate the push that Adams did in the run game. He must get bigger and stronger to be effective in the running game. He lacked any push in the running game in my opinion, but I like what I see with his versatility and consistency. In 2013 Beachum, will be a year wiser and a year more mature in his body. I don’t see him as the starter, but I see him as a valuable and contributing member on the OL. He is versatile like many of the former swing-man type back-up OL’s the Steelers have drafted over the years. His success depends on getting bigger and stronger.

Willie Colon - - We need this guy to stay healthy. That is Colon’s only major issue. After starting out as an iron man early in his career, he has had some unfortunate season ending injuries three consecutive seasons. There are serious concerns whether Colon’s best days are behind him because of his health. Some players get injured and then never seem to stay healthy. It is a physical game and mauling is Colon’s style. He helped make the running game go, but still struggled some in pass protection at times.

However, I do not believe that he is destined for the sidelines. Colon was making a smooth transition to LG and was developing a reputation as one of the toughest, meanest, feistiest and solid OG’s in the league before his injury. Side Note: To all of my forum “Nay Sayers” that said Colon could never play OG: “A BIG I TOLD YOU SO!” Not only did he play it, but he played it well and was actually getting some Pro Bowl talk before getting hurt. 

The concern for 2013 isn’t Colon’s ability to play or potential, but rather his durability and salary. Colon’s feistiness, willing to brawl and road-grader ability make him a perfect fit for the OL and power run game. However, it seems to also make him a liability due to injuries.

Colon is a Steeler type of OL and can be a huge reason for the return of smash mouth football with a vertical air-game twist. I believe that off- season conditioning is the key. What I mean is the type of conditioning (I will address this more when I talk about the coaching staff).This could well be Colon’s last hurrah if he doesn’t stay healthy and probably re-negotiate his contract. I have always liked Colon and believe that he can be a force at OG and take the Steelers rushing attack to new heights.

David DeCastro - - The team missed DeCastro early in the year and he missed some early season reps and growing pains. He is getting both now and should be the next great OG. DeCastro did not come into the league like Faneca or Pouncey, but that doesn’t mean that he isn’t capable of playing at that level.

He struggled against a very strong Pro Bowl DT, but he will win more battles than he loses and the Steelers will win more wars (games) because of DeCastro. Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams will give the Steelers an all-world right side for years to come. David needs to get stronger at the point of attack and learn some of the nuances of the NFL game. He at times got out-smarted, but I don’t expect that to happen in the future. I look forward to hearing DeCastro’s name mentioned with the league’s top OG’s.

Ramon Foster - - Foster is a versatile player who can play RT and both guard spots. He has his moments of solid play and then moments of unspectacular play. He is a fighter and competitor, but I would prefer to see Foster as a fill-in rather than a starter. I am not sure what the off-season will bring, but Foster may be looking for a big payday. If so, “Thanks, It has been real!” Foster is that mid-tier player that we seem to want to replace every year, but never do. He will never be a great OG or OT.

Players like Foster, Legursky and Beachum give the Steelers three solid back-ups and players who can spell a Pouncey, Colon, DeCastro, or Adams occasionally. Ramon has proven to be pretty durable and tough. He is a likeable player, but I think that the team can upgrade because you know what you will get (some good plays and some bad ones) with Foster.

Marcus Gilbert - - Spent most of 2012 on the bench. He seemed to struggle when he did play prior to injury though. Despite being the heaviest OL, he did not generate much push early on in the running game. He also seemed to struggle some in pass blocking at times despite this being his second year in the league. It is way too early to give up on Gilbert. Gilbert looks like he should probably be playing on the left side. He seems to be more of a finesse OT, but the concern is that he seemed to struggle in pass protection.

I will chalk this up to growing pains and I expect a healthy Gilbert to be a much more of an OL force in 2013. Picking at 17, you ordinarily don’t get a chance to select a Long or Thomas. Depth here is going to depend on what the team does with Max Starks. A Starks/Gilbert duo at LT would not be a bad thing for the Steelers OL. The onus is for Gilbert to step up and play like a solid professional. The offense won’t run on all cylinders until the OL does.

Doug Legursky - - Legs is a lower-tier back-up at OG, but better as a back-up C. Legs struggles in the power running game and has trouble (as most of the Steelers OG’s do) getting a push against stout DT’s and NG’s. He also struggles against the more athletic DT’s in pass protection. This is a guy who is a career back-up, but can be effective if used properly.

He will give you a few good plays, but because of the lack of size/strength at the point of attack, he is not the road grader that fans have been spoiled with in Steeler Nation. With a healthy Colon, Legs will take the Steelers OL a solid 8-9 players deep. Again, Legs has to be put in situations where he can be successful backing-up Pouncey rather than Colon or DeCastro. He is simply not going to be able to handle players one on one with the success of Pouncey or Colon, but with help, he can be a nice part of the OL’s overall strength and depth. I wouldn’t mind seeing a little more beef and athleticism here, but I do like Legs work ethic.

John Malecki - - See Doug Legursky. John is lighter and quicker, but from my limited view (a few training camp drills in the summer) does not have the size and strength needed to be the road grader type of OG the Steelers need. He seems to have some potential, but he would need to get much bigger and stronger to be effective in the NFL game. We will see what the off season brings with John. The Steelers have a history of making solid players out of this type of lineman. However, given Colon’s uncertain health longevity, the Steelers would be wise to find a decent OG in the draft or via free agency.

Marquise Pouncey - - Is arguably the best or in everyone’s top five of NFL Centers. Pouncey is a relentless worker who often sacrifices doing his individual job to help the OG’s. Hopefully with a healthy DeCastro and Colon those days will be over.

Because of Pouncey’s style, durability and injuries are a concern. Though it is typically not the norm, I may start spelling some of the OL during the regular season, including Pouncey to have them fresh deep into January and February. I would love to see old smash mouth in the play-offs with a healthy Steelers passing attack. Pouncey is the main cog in a potential well running and passing offensive machine. Stay healthy Marquise.

Max Starks - - I admire Stark’s courage, tenacity and belief in his abilities year after year. Each year it is time to move on from Max and each year Max continues to protect Ben’s blind side. The Steelers do need even more of a youth movement on the OL (Adams, Beachum, DeCastro, Gilbert and Pouncey), but Max is a great insurance policy. He has proven to be pretty durable and have the ability to bounce back from injury.

I would lean towards moving Gilbert to LT (where he is perhaps better suited), but I would keep Max around for another year, especially given the OL’s injury history the past few years. The concern is going to be money. If they can afford big Max, keep him.

Overall the OL could still use a solid OG or OT for added depth and potential starting ability. As the OL goes so will the 2013 Steelers offense go.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
Dook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really disagree with most of that except the part about Willie Colon.

We don't need Colon to stay healthy, we need him to move on. What Colon was developing into was the most penalized offensive lineman in the NFL.

I think you are giving way too much credit to the game announcers opinions.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colon to injury prone to keep have to cut you losses and move on. I will say that I believe he was developing into a good OG, but costly penalties and injuries are to much to overcome with that salary.

The Steelers OL over the pass few years has been bitten by the injury bug which doesn't play well when trying to build chemistry. We'll get to see what some of the OL are made of when the new OL coach arrives. Hopefully he preachings conditioning, technique and strength.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilbert does not have the feet to play left tackle or right really, combined with his poor balance. Precisely the reasons for concern coming out of Florida.

He surprised with the success he did have his rookie campaign, and really with everything positive he's given us thus far. The negatives however only reinforce my original expectations.My biggest concern is lack of balance and whether coincidental or not contributed to the injuries of 3 players. I hope he does his best to prove me wrong but I feel regardless he can be easily replaced.

I would be ecstatic if we took Larry Warford in the 1st round. Yes we need pass rushers but few will be able to contribute anywhere near as much in the short term as I feel Warford can as well as in the long term. Letting Colon walk would be a wise decision as far as I can tell.

There is a lot of love for the depth of Dline in this draft but there are actually some very solid Oline prospects.

If he comes out, Cyril Richardson -OT/OG -Baylor reminds me of Colon, not as many negative plays though. I would recommend for him to come out, his ceiling in the draft is perhaps late 1st in next years and possibly mid 2nd for this years, he would be a nice pick up for any team early to mid 3rd.

Dallas Thomas is another nice versatile lineman with better feet but not as much power as Richardson. Would be a great pickup early 2nd to mid 3rd. Could rise to late 1st but more than likely early 2nd.

Pugh from Syracuse looks like a nice developmental OT. He could start somewhere but would be best to take his time and strengthen up.

Winters from Kent St has caught my eye and intend to look at him more as a potential OG.

I have had Taylor Lewan as a top 5 prospect since the spring. He is the one of the few top prospects that have maintained a consistent performance and demonstrated that today vs Clowney. He should be the #1 OT taken off the board and really one of the 1st three picks.

I have been hesitant to give Joeckel the love that everybody else wants to . Based on this years class he is definitely worthy of 1st round consideration and as the year has passed I have moved him up my board.

One of the issues I've had watching Joeckel over the last couple of years was that I was typically more impressed or distracted by watching the right side of the line in Jake Matthews (and sometimes the center in Patrick Lewis) rather than Joeckel on the left. True that Joeckel protects the business side but in the past I was just more comfortable with the technique and ability of Matthews. I have come to a point where I see them as equals in value , but would expect Matthews to stay on the right side which of course makes Joeckel more valuable due to the value of the position he will play.

...you have a forum resume?
The Curtain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colon's play (when he's actually there) doesn't make up for his ridiculous penalties. He's a drag on our offense.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 State of The Steelers Part 1 - - OL Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

Willie Colon - - We need this guy to stay healthy. That is Colon’s only major issue.

rubbish.

1. He is horrible in space. When asked to move, he falls down. He finishes nearly every play face down on the ground.

2. He is slow off the snap and gets almost no movement in the run game

3. He is terrible at pulling. The only time he's the least bit effective is when Mike Adams would downblock the entire left side of the defensive line into the middle of the field, and all Colon had to do was pull and seal.

4. He cannot, after 6 seasons in the NFL, understand how to pick up a stunt. He consistently helps "double team" air while one or more pass rushers stunt through his gap

5. For all the talk of his aggressiveness and nasty streak, it never shows between the whistles, only afterward. That big bad play where he ground f'ed Vontaze Burfict AFTER the play was over? Yeah, that was after he pulled and Burfict stoned him cold, something he did several times. Thankfully Adams was able to land the downblock and get to the 2nd level on at least half a dozen occasions to clear Burfict and finish the job that the big fat albatross couldn't finish himself.

6. He led the NFL in holding penalties this year, despite only playing 11 full games. Explain that one.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
He helped make the running game go

he was irrelevant.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
, but still struggled some in pass protection at times.

when he was on the field, for example

Steeler Hitman wrote:
However, I do not believe that he is destined for the sidelines. Colon was making a smooth transition to LG and was developing a reputation as one of the toughest, meanest, feistiest and solid OG’s in the league before his injury.

only in Cris Collinsworth's twisted mind.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Side Note: To all of my forum “Nay Sayers” that said Colon could never play OG: “A BIG I TOLD YOU SO!” Not only did he play it, but he played it well and was actually getting some Pro Bowl talk before getting hurt.

rubbish. pure, absolute rubbish. He had 3 games where he didn't suck.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Colon is a Steeler type of OL

agreed 100%. Our offensive line has been horrible for years. He definitely fits that to a t.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
and can be a huge reason for the return of smash mouth football

we were ranked something like 20th in the NFL in rushing offense. When Adams was on the field, we put up 130ish yards per game and didn't drop below, what, 85 yards? Without Adams, we broke 100 yards one time.

So, let's say that one again.

5 games with Adams:
4 w/100+ yards
1 w/95 yards

11 games without Adams
1 game w/100+ yards
8 of 11 games with less yards rushing than we put up in Adams' WORST game.

Colon's presence was irrelevant to the run game.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
He is a fighter and competitor, but I would prefer to see Foster as a fill-in rather than a starter.

so would I, but he was as good, if not better, than Colon this season.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Gilbert looks like he should probably be playing on the left side. He seems to be more of a finesse OT, but the concern is that he seemed to struggle in pass protection.

he has the mentality and intensity of a left side player, with the talent and ability of a right side player.

result? Substandard. We should try him at OG next season, but since we'll let Max walk while we keep that fat sack of garbage, Willie Colon, we'll be stuck with Gilbert as a starter instead of a swing OT, which is what he should be

Steeler Hitman wrote:
A Starks/Gilbert duo at LT would not be a bad thing for the Steelers OL.

assuming you mean that Gilbert would be the backup and would never see the field unless Max got injured, then yes, I agree.

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Marquise Pouncey - - Is arguably the best or in everyone’s top five of NFL Centers.

undeserved the last 2 seasons. His rookie season was stellar, however

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Max is a great insurance policy.

he's been our best OL each of the last 2 seasons. That's more than an insurance policy

some comments along the way. Hopefully I didn't offend you, I am still grumpy as hell. My comments weren't directed toward you. I appreciate the thought you brought to the post. Please stick around the boards.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Gilbert does not have the feet to play left tackle or right really, combined with his poor balance. Precisely the reasons for concern coming out of Florida.

He surprised with the success he did have his rookie campaign, and really with everything positive he's given us thus far. The negatives however only reinforce my original expectations.My biggest concern is lack of balance and whether coincidental or not contributed to the injuries of 3 players. I hope he does his best to prove me wrong but I feel regardless he can be easily replaced.

I would be ecstatic if we took Larry Warford in the 1st round. Yes we need pass rushers but few will be able to contribute anywhere near as much in the short term as I feel Warford can as well as in the long term. Letting Colon walk would be a wise decision as far as I can tell.

There is a lot of love for the depth of Dline in this draft but there are actually some very solid Oline prospects.

If he comes out, Cyril Richardson -OT/OG -Baylor reminds me of Colon, not as many negative plays though. I would recommend for him to come out, his ceiling in the draft is perhaps late 1st in next years and possibly mid 2nd for this years, he would be a nice pick up for any team early to mid 3rd.

Dallas Thomas is another nice versatile lineman with better feet but not as much power as Richardson. Would be a great pickup early 2nd to mid 3rd. Could rise to late 1st but more than likely early 2nd.

Pugh from Syracuse looks like a nice developmental OT. He could start somewhere but would be best to take his time and strengthen up.

Winters from Kent St has caught my eye and intend to look at him more as a potential OG.

I have had Taylor Lewan as a top 5 prospect since the spring. He is the one of the few top prospects that have maintained a consistent performance and demonstrated that today vs Clowney. He should be the #1 OT taken off the board and really one of the 1st three picks.

I have been hesitant to give Joeckel the love that everybody else wants to . Based on this years class he is definitely worthy of 1st round consideration and as the year has passed I have moved him up my board.

One of the issues I've had watching Joeckel over the last couple of years was that I was typically more impressed or distracted by watching the right side of the line in Jake Matthews (and sometimes the center in Patrick Lewis) rather than Joeckel on the left. True that Joeckel protects the business side but in the past I was just more comfortable with the technique and ability of Matthews. I have come to a point where I see them as equals in value , but would expect Matthews to stay on the right side which of course makes Joeckel more valuable due to the value of the position he will play.

agreed on all points JPN. I like the kid from Central Michigan too, Eric Fisher. Gotta watch some more on him, but what I've seen was definitely 1st round.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I have to check on him also.

3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JustPlainNasty"]Gilbert does not have the feet to play left tackle or right really, combined with his poor balance. Precisely the reasons for concern coming out of Florida.

maybe the success he had was from perceived from being an improvement over the player he replaced (colon)?

I agree with the colon statement. H was never a good RT and had penalty issues. When he moved to LG, I thought he would/should never have the false starts but still did have some. Then he topped his penalty quota via other means. This colon signing was an example of the FO since it wasn't a draft day gift but rather a player they thought highly about, but none of us could understand and still don't. To me, if he isn't gone considering the cap situation and colons cap value, the FO has issues. He was decent in-line run blocking but that was about it. Draft a good OG in RD2 and DD will be the other OG, simple. Gilbert can be a versatile back up on his way out.

With the 31st rush offense in between the tackles, this team should get the interior taken care of. DD will be back to 100%, and then hopefully pouncey can stay healthy and get another OG and start running the ball Adams at OT will help the running game. If they keep beechum at RT (was quite good) and decide to hand LT to Gilbert while Adams sits the bench Rolling Eyes it could be another year of lousy rushing attack and beat up qb. Gilbert is a back up , Adams is easily the best run blocker. The OL was totally different when Adams was healthy in there those 3 games vs redskins, giants and bengals.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have on Eric Fischer-OT - C.Michigan vs W.Kentucky

Positives: Has good feet, good ability to shuffle in pass pro does not labor to move feet. Ability to recover and compensate for sudden moves outside. Perhaps the most exceptional thing was his ability to pull left and get outside quickly also to square off the end on outside runs. Has decent ability to locate and make contact with defenders on pulls and to the second level.

Negatives: Does not extend his hands/arms well, lets defender get into his body. Lacks explosion in hands/punch. Has a tendency to lean too far forward when pulling thus overextending and even though he makes contact with the defender often times he ends up sliding off and (OTG) on the ground. While his base is fine he definitely could use more sand in his pants to sustain against stronger bull rushing DE's and DT's.

Comparisons: Fischer is either 6'7 or 6'8 so a natural comparison would be to Nate Solder. I like more of what I've seen of Fischer than I did Solder when it comes to feet, but am also reminded of many of the struggles that Mike Adams has had namely allowing the defender to get into his body because he doesn't utilize his hands as well as he should and there is no explosion in his hands. I believe that could be coached up for better use but the explosion will probably never be a plus. His feet should be his calling card and get him through.

The areas of concern would be overextending at times and can he be strong enough to sustain vs bull rush. I think he may have struggles with power/clubs and then inside moves but his feet will help him there.

Overall Grade Range: 6.5 to 7.5 (NFP grading scale)

6.5 is Possible starter with one deficient area but should be able to overcome it.

7.5 Is a starter his rookie year and a potential featured player on his team.

I think he should develop into a pretty good player. I definitely would like to see how these issues are accentuated vs stronger competition. I do not like to make declarations off of one game, usually at the very least 3 games and am more comfortable with about 5 or 6 over time. I will seek to get more and revisit this evaluation.

Last edited by JustPlainNasty on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Waits for 3rivers to create exact same thread with far less substance....*

Seriously though, good post for the most part. Ill go through it more in depth tomorrow when I have time to really dig in, but the only part Ill touch on now is the part that sticks out sorely, which keth covered in great detail already.....

Quote:
Willie Colon - - We need this guy to stay healthy.

No...we need him to be cut so he can stop wasting our time, money and roster space.

Quote:
That is Colon’s only major issue.

Far from it.

We must be watching different players.

Quote:
After starting out as an iron man early in his career, he has had some unfortunate season ending injuries three consecutive seasons.

Iron man conjures up images of someone who is pretty bad a$$, when he never was.

He stayed healthy, but he was still a bum most of the time.

Quote:
There are serious concerns whether Colon’s best days are behind him because of his health.

Colon's best days were average at best, so Im not worried.

Quote:
Some players get injured and then never seem to stay healthy. It is a physical game and mauling is Colon’s style. He helped make the running game go, but still struggled some in pass protection at times.

He didnt help the running game nearly as much as you think.

Losing Adams was a far bigger loss.

Quote:
However, I do not believe that he is destined for the sidelines. Colon was making a smooth transition to LG and was developing a reputation as one of the toughest, meanest, feistiest and solid OG’s in the league before his injury.

LMAO...according to who?

He was a walking penalty who rarely dominated anyone. How could he get the reputation for being one of the toughest, meanest guards when he was dominated for more than he dominated others?

He was dumb, fat and only acted tough. Big difference.

Quote:
Side Note: To all of my forum “Nay Sayers” that said Colon could never play OG: “A BIG I TOLD YOU SO!” Not only did he play it, but he played it well and was actually getting some Pro Bowl talk before getting hurt. 

Thanks...I needed a laugh.

Pro Bowl means nothing anyway. Half the Pro Bowl roster is players who dont desrve to be there at all. Colon wouldve just made it even a bigger joke.

Quote:
The concern for 2013 isn’t Colon’s ability to play or potential

Yes it is.

Quote:
but rather his durability and salary.

Thats why they need to cut him.

Quote:
Colon’s feistiness, willing to brawl and road-grader ability make him a perfect fit for the OL and power run game. However, it seems to also make him a liability due to injuries.

Dont mistake feistiness and willing to brawl with hot headedness and stupidity.

Road graters are guards that just plow over guys, when more often than not, he is getting plowed over.

TRIES to be a road grater...but isnt one in reality.

Quote:
Colon is a Steeler type of OL and can be a huge reason for the return of smash mouth football with a vertical air-game twist.

Considering the "Steelers type OL" in recent years is fat, slow, uncoordinated slobs with little discipline, I guess I agree.

The move to Pouncey and DeCastro shows they are trying to get more athletic.

Colon doesnt fit the bill.

Quote:
I believe that off- season conditioning is the key. What I mean is the type of conditioning (I will address this more when I talk about the coaching staff).This could well be Colon’s last hurrah if he doesn’t stay healthy and probably re-negotiate his contract.

It shouldve been his last hurrah 3 years ago.

They will likely continue to cling to his mediocrity.

Quote:
I have always liked Colon and believe that he can be a force at OG and take the Steelers rushing attack to new heights.

If your idea of new heights is 60 yards a game instead of 55, then you might be happy.

My idea of new heights is lineman that can consistently win at the POA, play quality fundamental football, and get to the 2nd level and attack.

Colon has never done and will never do any of those things. He has good power...but has such poor balance and fundamentals that it usually doesnt matter, and he is forced to hold.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, Maybe I was wrong about Colon? Shocked

Seriously, I respect everyone's opinion and there were some arguments/points that bettered my opinion and got me to look at some things differently. To the overwhelming majority that said I was wrong, you clearly defended your position on Colon better than I did. Kethnaab no offense even though you said some of my points are rubbish! Very Happy
I think we are all more than disappointed with this years team not making the play-offs. Twisted Evil

The funny thing about football players is they are sometimes like girls: one man's treasure is another man's trash. Suffice to say, you guys won't let me set you up for a blind date, huh? Shocked I guess I see Colon as Jessica Alba when he is really Joan Rivers. No knock to Joan she is pretty hot for a grandmother. Very Happy

I can admit that I may have a biased for him. I liked him coming out of college, but as a OG because of his height and mauling style. I also met his college OL coach at a coaching clinic a few years ago and maybe I believed the hype too much. After all, my son is the best son in the world. Laughing

You all made some good points and challenged my position, and I have no hard feelings for that. I have never said I get them all right. I am the guy who thought Kordell Stewart was destined to win two or three SB's and eventually make the HOF. Oh well, I can't wait to see what you all think of some of my upcoming reviews of Running Backs, Wide Receivers and Coaches. Thanks to all for reading and commenting.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your OP on a lot of things, but gotta side with the crowd here that Colon isn't worth the salary or roster space right now. What he manages well isn't even remotely enough to justify how penalty-prone he is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issue is history of injury with value of his contract just not worth the headaches.

kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
I guess I see Colon as Jessica Alba

yeah....I'm just not seeing it......

Laughing

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Oh well, I can't wait to see what you all think of some of my upcoming reviews of Running Backs, Wide Receivers and Coaches. .

i look forward to it. Bring it on! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: