Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stchamp98's Long Awaited Updated Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Stchamp98's Long Awaited Updated Mock Draft Reply with quote

After a TON of research and a TON of thought, I have finally come up with a mock draft that I find to be very realistic in my own eyes. Without further ado, here is the my updated 2012 Arizona Cardinals Mock NFL Draft:

Round One
David DeCastro, Offensive Guard Stanford University
Explanation:I've been looking over this thing for weeks, seriously looking over. I think it's going to be hard for Michael Floyd to get to thirteen with St. Louis, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Seattle all on the clock before us. I think it's going to be hard for Riley Reiff to get to thirteen. While that will leave us with fewer options, it will highly increase our chance of seeing David DeCastro available to us. Kansas City is the kicker but Romeo Crennel has come right out and said he wants a big time nose tackle for that defense and with Poe's ideal measurables and the way he blew up the combine, I think they're going to lean that way. Offensive tackle and wide receiver(And possibly linebacker) are bigger need areas for this football team but David DeCastro IS the best player available. We just signed a slight upgrade possibility for the right guard position in Adam Snyder to a five year deal that is a mirror image of the deal we gave to starting center Lyle Sendlein but David Decastro IS the best player available. If we move Snyder to the right tackle position, we're getting no better at the position than we were last year....but David Decastro IS the best player available. Our offensive line will likely feature three of the same starters as last season and with Snyder likely holding down the right tackle spot, a player who is very comparable(AKA, just as poor) to our starters from last season. Four spots where the 2012 play will likely be on par as the play from 2011 does not install a lot of confidence but if DDC becomes what we all think he will(IMO, the next Alan Faneca), we're going to see a dramatic change with that 5th starter, which if my math serves me correctly is 20% of our offensive line. 20%? That's a decent start.

Round Three
George Iloka, Safety Boise State University
Explanation: This was the hardest pick I had to make. I considered nearly a dozen different prospects at 3-4 different positions. I couldn't settle on a wide receiver I thought fit in well with what Whiz looks for in that position. I couldn't convince myself that we'd be for certain taking a tackle with Levi and Adam Snyder both locked down to five year deals and no place for Snyder to go inside. I couldn't convince myself we'd be interested in cornerbacks this early with William Gay now on board. I REALLY couldn't find a third round 3-4 OLB prospect that matches up with what we look for in that position, nobody seemed to fit what we look for measurables wise. I went through the list of potential third round prospects over and over and over and every time I did, I always ended up back with George Iloka. Big safety, 6'3 5/8" 222, great in run support, hits hard, loves contact. He's stiff in the hips and lower legs so his coverage ability will be somewhat limited to the traditional tight ends of the league and larger wide receivers that lack elite quickness/speed but he does have a ton of experience in coverage, as Boise State routinely used him outside at corner down the stretch in 2011. He's got solid ball skills, seven interceptions during his collegiate career, he's shown solid awareness and pass recognition skills that allow him to be in position to make balls consistently. He is a little shaky in his tackling technique, which will need to be addressed immediately and I've yet to find any information on him being a guy who can contribute on special teams, which could be a concern. There are also a number of reports I've seen about Iloka being benched on multiple occasions in-game for undisciplined play/bonehead penalties, which is certainly a concern for us seeing as how we're high enough in that category as it is but with Iloka's highly intriguing skill set and the murky long term futures of Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson, I feel this is a slam dunk selection for this defense.

Round Four
Juron Criner, Wide Receiver University of Arizona
Explanation: The first real hometown selection Rod Graves has made isn’t much of a hometown selection when you consider Criner’s talent. Phenomenal hands, great after the catch, controls his body in and out of his breaks as well as any wide receiver in this draft and he also contributed heavily to UA’s special teams units, which is a huge plus for a Ken Whisenhunt coached team. He’s not a workout warrior and his but trust me, he’s a much better football player than he’ll ever show in shorts on a track. If he were a little better beating the jam and had no injury concerns, he’d be an early second round pick IMHO. Unfortunately, he isn’t better beating the jam and he does have injury concerns. Big injury concerns. There’s a lot of risk here Criner’s talent and our past history of selecting high risk, high reward players in this particular round makes this an easy pick to guess. If Criner can pass the medicals and improve his route tree and jam get off, I think we’ve got ourselves a monster steal this late.

Round Five
Leonard Johnson, Cornerback Iowa State University
Explanation: For our defensive system, we just made the pick of the draft. Not the pick of the fifth round or the pick of day three, the pick of the entire draft. Zone coverages, tackling ability in man-off coverage, ball recognition, physicality at the line, blitz potential. Those are the five most important things in our defense and with needed special teams ability, you’ve got six major focuses if you want to play on this team. Johnson checks off every box. Every…single…one. His stock took an Armageddon type hit when he measured under 5’10” (5’9” 7/8”) and a 4.71 forty yard dash (Along with one of the worst vertical of the cornerback’s group) at the combine but for our system, for what the starting nickel cornerback does, anything more than what he showed is just gravy. Greg Toler’s on a one year deal, AJ Jefferson’s on a one year deal, Crezdon Butler is on a one year contract. There’s a lot of uncertainty at this position which leads to much of the selections merit but it all comes down to the zone coverage, tackling, ball recognition, physicality, blitz potential. He’s got every single one. I think this is an absolute slam dunk and I also think that Ken Whisenhunt, who personally watched his pro day, will run this card to the podium himself if he’s available. I love this pick!!!

Round Six, Via Washington Redskins
Matt Conrath, Defensive End University of Virginia
Explanation: The defensive line is a little thin for my liking. Nick Eason’s on a one year deal and while Vonnie Holliday may return yet, he’ll be 37 years old in December. A prime second unit is always a must and while Conrath (6’7 ½”, 290) isn’t a game changer by any means, he’s smart enough and hard working enough to fit in to what we try to do up front and will hopefully join David Carter in solidifying the defensive line rotation.

Round Six
Drew Butler, Punter University of Georgia
Explanation: I’m not in any way convinced that Whiz will start a rookie punter but at some point the revolving door at this position has to end. Butler’s a damn good one. Ray Guy Award for the nation’s best punter winner in 2009, averaged over 44 yards per punt in three straight seasons, dropped 33% of his punts inside the twenty yard line. If he wins the job and sticks, great. Really great. If he doesn’t, we cut him and lose a sixth round pick with about a one hundred thousand dollar signing bonus. That’s nothing.

Round Seven
Ryan Davis, Defensive End/Outside Linebacker Bethune -Cookman University
Explanation: Whiz loves his small school, chip on my shoulder players and Davis adds to that as a guy not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine or any of the offseason evaluation games (Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine, etc.). We had him in for a private visit a week or so ago, which is what we usually do for guys we target late in the draft or in UDFA but with Davis getting a lot of other looks from teams (New England being one), I think if Whiz likes the kid we’ll just use this selection and not give Davis the choice that UDFA allows. He’s got decent measurables and some edge rusher ability. We’ll just have to see what Matt Raich can do with him.

Well, we didn't address the OLB position properly, we took a chance on another mid-round wide receiver when we really need top end talent there and oh yeah, I completely ignored the tackle position but Rome wasn't built in a day, especially for a team with only one selection in the top fifty. You have to work with what you've got and what we got, in this case, is a lot of talented, hard working kids who, most importantly, all seem to fit what we try to do schematically.

Don't hold back fellas, tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Safety pick in round three in interesting. Do you not suspect someone like Jayron Hosley to fall into the third round? I think if Hosley is still on the board in the 3rd, we'd have to select him. His size is a little lacking but his playmaking ability and speed are intriguing.

I honestly can't comment past round three but I do like the DeCastro pick if he's there. My first round priorities for Cards would be OT (Reiff, I'm not sold on Adams at 13 or Martin at 13), OG (Not sure Glenn is worth #13 but I like DDC), and OLB, or trade back.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
The Safety pick in round three in interesting. Do you not suspect someone like Jayron Hosley to fall into the third round? I think if Hosley is still on the board in the 3rd, we'd have to select him. His size is a little lacking but his playmaking ability and speed are intriguing.

I honestly can't comment past round three but I do like the DeCastro pick if he's there. My first round priorities for Cards would be OT (Reiff, I'm not sold on Adams at 13 or Martin at 13), OG (Not sure Glenn is worth #13 but I like DDC), and OLB, or trade back.

I do not. Find it very hard to believe he'll be available not only in round three as a whole but in the middle of round three when we're actually on the clock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all honestly i like it and it definitely makes sense.. i had kc pegged for poe for a little bit now.. if id have to add one thing i would say a late round project tackle instead of one of those defensive players.. seems defensive heavy.. maybe like a datko or compton or adcock.. provides depth plus who knows if synder doesn't work out maybe they can fill in for RT..

edit: i had the same problem finding someone in the third.. couldn't find a good fit in OLB.. maybe maybe bruce irvin or ronnell lewis.. but idk if they will even be there and i havent watched either play that much..

Last edited by Plucky on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the first five picks.

Would you say Iloka is A-Dub's replacement if we got him?

I think Criner can be a solid #2 and will be a improvement over Roberts and Doucet eventually, if he doesn't get hurt.

El ramster on the sig
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Decastro pick even if that means our OT combo (Brown, Snyder) is potentially disastrous. But we're gonna be a run heavy team next year as long as Ryan Williams stays healthy.

I had Iloka as our 3rd round pick before around the time of the Senior Bowl. It's a solid pick. He's got a lot of upside.

I have to be completely honest. I have little to no info on Criner. Living in PA, I don't follow Arizona's universities like most of you.

The Leonard Johnson pick is almost perfect. The problem is that he improved his 40 time at his pro day to 4.55ish so he's saved his stock a little bit. I could still see this happening though.

I like the punter pick. Butler is solid and very consistent. He could be with us for 10+ years.

I don't mind that you didn't really address the OLB position. I did the same thing in my last mock.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:
in all honestly i like it and it definitely makes sense.. i had kc pegged for poe for a little bit now.. if id have to add one thing i would say a late round project tackle instead of one of those defensive players.. seems defensive heavy.. maybe like a datko or compton or adcock.. provides depth plus who knows if synder doesn't work out maybe they can fill in for RT..

edit: i had the same problem finding someone in the third.. couldn't find a good fit in OLB.. maybe maybe bruce irvin or ronnell lewis.. but idk if they will even be there and i havent watched either play that much..

I've been very intrigued by this guy lately. He plays with a great motor and a lot of passion. He's also the hardest hitter in this draft and which makes him a dangerous gunner on ST. He's raw though but he'll contribute immediately on ST.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:

I'm not sure of what your definition of late round is. Mine is mid-5th round to the end of it all. Levy Adcock and Andrew Datko won't be there in those rounds IMO. That said, as to the overall point of taking a late round tackle, I could see it. Certainly makes sense, I just happen to think some defensive depth players are needed and I like the players selected a bit more than anyone we I pegged as a late round tackle prospect.

I thought long and hard about Ronnell Lewis. Long and hard. He's tough to peg because he was used in a lot of niche roles at OU, he had no offseason game appearance and he didn't do anything at the combine. I had a hard time with him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11sanchez11 wrote:

I think Criner can be a solid #2 and will be a improvement over Roberts and Doucet eventually, if he doesn't get hurt.

I truly believe he's got the ability to both either safety position, which is huge for us in that both A-Dub and Kerry Rhodes have iffy long term outlooks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Plucky wrote:

I'm not sure of what your definition of late round is. Mine is mid-5th round to the end of it all. Levy Adcock and Andrew Datko won't be there in those rounds IMO. That said, as to the overall point of taking a late round tackle, I could see it. Certainly makes sense, I just happen to think some defensive depth players are needed and I like the players selected a bit more than anyone we I pegged as a late round tackle prospect.

I thought long and hard about Ronnell Lewis. Long and hard. He's tough to peg because he was used in a lot of niche roles at OU, he had no offseason game appearance and he didn't do anything at the combine. I had a hard time with him.

yeah rounds 4-7.. but who knows who drops.. hard to predict later rounds.. idk where their stock but the idea of OT late is where i was going.. yeah ronnell was tough so i stayed away myself.. if you want a player im a huge homer for its bobby wagner.. i love this kid.. if we had a second or we traded down i want him.. he can play inside or out, has experience in coverage.. really nice senior bowl.. really wanted to see him at the combine but he got sick.. today is his pro day i wonder how he did..
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of this I won't be posting my mock for a few weeks as I would feel stupid because it not close to being as in depth as yours is.

I like the first 2 picks. George Iloka has head some benching problems but it was not because he was playing bad. Most of the time it because of Showboating. I don't think he saw the bench in 2011.

Not big on Drew Butler has I don't think Whiz will start a rookie punter. Not saying it a bad idea or anything just that Whiz does not normal trust rookies.

I can live with most of the other picks.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
Plucky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
11sanchez11 wrote:

I truly believe he's got the ability to both either safety position, which is huge for us in that both A-Dub and Kerry Rhodes have iffy long term outlooks.

i stayed away because i figured adub had atleast 2 years left in him.. but it could very well happen that a good safety falls into our lap this year.. slim pickings in the third..but i really like this kid nickoe whitley out of miss state.. i hope he declares next year..
apollo14000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
Because of this I won't be posting my mock for a few weeks as I would feel stupid because it not close to being as in depth as yours is.

I like the first 2 picks. George Iloka has head some benching problems but it was not because he was playing bad. Most of the time it because of Showboating. I don't think he saw the bench in 2011.

Not big on Drew Butler has I don't think Whiz will start a rookie punter. Not saying it a bad idea or anything just that Whiz does not normal trust rookies.

I'm getting really tired of hearing this. We're talking about a Punter, not a QB or a RB or an OLB. It's a Punter, which doesn't require a big adjustment from college to pros. Whiz started Sherman last year and that's because there's no big transition. Punters and FB are easily exceptions. Kicker maybe not because of the pressure but I don't get why you can't trust a young punter.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plucky wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Plucky wrote:

yeah rounds 4-7.. but who knows who drops.. hard to predict later rounds.. idk where their stock but the idea of OT late is where i was going.. yeah ronnell was tough so i stayed away myself.. if you want a player im a huge homer for its bobby wagner.. i love this kid.. if we had a second or we traded down i want him.. he can play inside or out, has experience in coverage.. really nice senior bowl.. really wanted to see him at the combine but he got sick.. today is his pro day i wonder how he did..

-We differ on the idea of late round but the general point is what matters and to that I agree with you. I definitely could have taken a late round tackle, I just didn't see any that I really liked after looking through the list.
-Wagner's got no real edge rusher capabilities though, whcih makes him purely an ILB. For that ILB role, I actually considered him as well. I'm just not sure of how we view Stewart Bradley and I think Reggie Walker can grow into a role here with more seasoning(I'm higher on him than most everybody though, so if you disagree I completely understand). That made ILB a tough sell for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:

All the reports I read said Iloka was benched for reasons that involved him not keeping his emotions in check, which seemed to almost always revolve around penalties. That's tough to tolerate for me because of how many stupid penalties we're already getting called for. That's something we'll need to beat out of him at the next level.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: