Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

theKingDP's Reload Mock That You Probably Won't Like Anyway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: theKingDP's Reload Mock That You Probably Won't Like Anyway Reply with quote

Attempt #2 at a mock. I've tried to make it realistic as possible, but it will still probably be unrealistic to most of you none-the-less. I put it together with cap numbers and all, but I left most of them out because it would probably just lead to unnecessary arguing, so enjoy.

The Philadelphia Eagles finished the season 4-12 with the 4th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Andy Reid has been fired, and Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman, theKingDP, and collective braintrust of the Philadelphia Eagles' Gold Standard Front Office has begun their search for a new head coach.

Since the definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing twice and expecting different results", and our front office has proven to be completely insane in the past, the Eagles have decided to try and repeat history with their new head coaching hire for the 2013 Philadelphia Eagles: Tom Clements, former QB Coach\Guru & Offensive Coordinator for the Green Bay Packers. Tom Clements, who Aaron Rodgers himself credits with much of his development as an NFL MVP-calibur QB, is handpicked to lead this team into the next, new era of the Philadelphia Eagles. The Philadelphia Eagles front office, along with new head coach Tom Clements, waste no time in assembling a coaching staff to move forward:

Offensive Coordinator: Mike Mularkey - former Jacksonville Jaguars Head Coach
Mularkey has worked with Tom Clements extensively in Pittsburgh & Buffalo, and Mularkey decides to return to the offensive coordinator position after being fired after his first season as head coach in Jacksonville. Mularkey & Clements will have a hand together in creating the offense for the Philadelphia Eagles moving forward. Mularkey was the Offensive Coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons from 2008-2011 before his unsuccessful season as head coach in Jacksonville.

Defensive Coordinator\Asst Head Coach: Mike Trgovac - former Green Bay Packers DL Coach
Mike Trgovac was the defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers under John Fox from 2002-2008 during the most successful run in franchise history that included a loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII at the end of the 2003 NFL season. Trgovac will continue to run a 4-3 defense that emphasizes a strong front 7, and an aggressive man-to-man coverage approach that will sprinkle in some zone blitzes to keep opposing offenses honest. Trgovac also has some past history with the Philadelphia Eagles, being a defensive coach under the Ray Rhodes regime from 1995-1998. There is also a possibility of bringing in up-and-coming Packers Safety Coach Darren Perry as DB Coach\Asst DC in Philadelphia if he doesn't get a shot to be a DC anywhere else in the NFL. His contract with the Packers is up after this season, and he will be free to leave without the Packers having to grant permission to talk to him once the season is over.

2013 Unrestricted Free Agents
    LT King Dunlap - Unsigned
    RG Jake Scott - Unsigned
    DE Darryl Tapp - Unsigned
    DT Derek Landri - Unsigned
    WLB Akeem Jordan - Re-signed
    CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Re-signed
    LS Jon Dorenbois - Re-signed

2013 Restricted Free Agents
    CB Brandon Hughes - Not tendered
    S Colt Anderson - Minimum Tender

2013 Roster Cuts
    QB Michael Vick ($4.2m dead money)
    RB Dion Lewis ($94k dead money)
    RB Chris Polk (No dead money)
    TE Clay Harbor (133k dead money)
    LT Demetress Bell (No dead money)
    C Dallas Reynolds (No dead money)
    DT Mike Patterson (No dead money)
    WLB Casey Matthews ($218k dead money) --> Possible June 1st cut
    CB Nnamdi Asomugah ($4m dead money)
    S David Sims (No dead money)
    S Nate Allen ($600k dead money)

2013 Roster Transactions

1. Eagles trade 2013 5th round draft pick (5/3 - Apprx 139 overall) & 2014 conditional draft pick (3rd rounder to 5th rounder) to Seattle for QB Matt Flynn
    Matt Flynn is brought in at a relatively cheap price, even if he doesn't work out with the Eagles. If Flynn doesn't start at least 8 games for the Philadelphia Eagles, the 2014 conditional draft pick is a 5th rounder, and all it ends up costing the Eagles is two 5th round draft picks. Flynn will be reunited with his QB Coach from Green Bay where he had previous, but extremely limited success. Flynn comes in with a $5.25m salary in 2013 & a $6.25m salary in 2014, and he could be cut\traded at any time with no dead money at all. Regardless of who would win the QB competition in Philadelphia, we would have two starting-caliber QBs at very reasonable prices.

2. Eagles trade WR Jeremy Maclin ($1.25m dead money) to Minnesota for 2013 3rd round draft pick (3/21 - 85 overall) & 2014 conditional draft pick (4th rounder to 6th rounder)
    Jeremy Maclin gets traded with 1 year left on his contract to Minnesota where the Vikings hope to pair him with Percy Harvin to create the 1-2 punch that the Vikings are hoping will put them over the top. If Maclin makes the Pro Bowl in 2013, all it would cost the Vikings is a 3rd & 4th round pick. The Eagles trade Maclin a year before they have to commit to a long-term contract, locking them up with a long-term WR tandem of Jackson\Maclin.

3. Eagles re-structure contract of LT Jason Peters (2 years, $19 million total, $2m signing bonus, $9m guaranteed - New 2013 Cap Number: $8m) - $2.75m 2013 Cap Savings
    Eagles restructure Peters' contract to lower his cap number by about $2.75m for 2013, and compensate Peters in the way of a $2m signing bonus, and guaranteeing his 2013 season. A real decision will have to come in 2014 with Peters, as he will have a cap number of around $13m, and $12m would be saved by cutting him. If he proves that he has returned from his achilles injury, the Eagles also have the option of re-signing him to a longer deal in 2014 without many negative cap ramifications at all. Regardless of the situation, it leaves both the Eagles & Peters flexibility in their financial futures.

2013 Free Agent Signings
    WR Dwayne Bowe (KC)
    TE Benjamin Watson (CLE)
    RT Sebastian Vollmer (NE)
    LT Will Svitek (ATL)
    CB Derek Cox (JAX)
    FS Chris D. Clemons (MIA)

The Eagles' gold standard in salary cap savings will allow them to roll-over around $22m of salary cap space that they did not use this season. This will effectively raise their salary cap "maximum" from $121m to somewhere around $143m. This will allow them to make large splashes when free agency starts on Dwayne Bowe & Sebastian Vollmer, which should solidify their respective positions for the next few seasons with Pro Bowl caliber play. Should Peters not be ready to start the 2013 season for PUP concerns, Vollmer has the ability to play LT as well. Will Svitek will be the primary reserve tackle for the Eagles after missing the 2012 season with Atlanta with a sports hernia. He played admirably in 2011 when he had to play for Atlanta due to injuries on the offensive line. Ben Watson provides a veteran TE that will be used in some double-TE sets.

Derek Cox comes from Jacksonville with injury concerns, but when he's healthy, he's an above average starting CB in the NFL. The Eagles will be taking a risk on counting on him as a starter in the 2013 season, but hope to provide enough depth behind him. Chris D. Clemons comes from Miami to start at FS for the Eagles in 2013. Clemons is a decent safety who can both cover well, and is decent in run support. Cox & Clemons should be both entering the primes of their careers and should be able to provide the defense with effective starters for the next few seasons.

2013 NFL Draft
** This is how the first round has to go in order to make this work. This is predicated on Oakland releasing Carson Palmer when he refuses to restructure his contract, and is released. I don't care if you don't like it. **
1st overall (KC) - LT Luke Joekel, Texas A&M
2nd overall (JAX) - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia
3rd overall (OAK) - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia
    1st Round 4 overall (1/4) - DT Star Loutelelei, Utah
    2nd Round 35 overall (2/3) - SS Matt Elam, Florida
    3rd Round 68 overall (3/5) - SLB Chase Thomas, Stanford
    3rd Round via MIN 84 overall (3/21) - CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Connecticut
    4th Round Apprx 99 overall (4/4) - CB Leon McFadden, San Diego State
    5th Round Apprx 139 overall (5/3) - Traded to Seattle
    6th Round Apprx 175 overall (6/5) - DE Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky
    6th Round Compensation Pick Apprx 206 overall - LG Manase Foketi, West Texas A&M
    7th Round via IND Apprx 232 overall (7/25) - TE Michael Williams, Alabama
    7th Round via DEN Apprx 239 overall (7/32) - RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
    7th Round Compensation Pick Apprx 250 overall - C Matt Stankiewitch, Penn State

The Eagles made their splash on offense in free agency, and the Eagles dedicate their draft to defense with the first 6 picks of their draft. Star Loutelelei and Fletcher Cox will team up to create a defensive tackle duo that will give offensive coordinators nightmares for the next 10 years. The Eagles will definitely have to luck into Loutelelei, if the draft gods are smiling upon us, they will let him drop unexpectedly to 4th overall. The draft gods will also have to be smiling upon us in order for us to get Elam at 35th overall, and Thomas at 68th overall, as both would provide quality starting players for our defense. Wreh-Wilson and McFadden are both wild cards that could both provide depth & contribute on special teams until they develop into quality NFL players. The rest of the picks are basically depth guys who have decent ceilings, with Knile Davis being the only real expected contributor with his kick returning ability. If they pan out, great. If not, it's not a huge blow to the organization.

Offensive Depth Chart (25 Players)
    QB (3): Nick Foles, Matt Flynn, Trent Edwards
    HB (3): LeSean McCoy, Bryce Brown, Knile Davis
    FB (1): Stanley Havili
    WR (5): Dwayne Bowe, Desean Jackson, Jason Avant, Riley Cooper, Damaris Johnson
    TE (3): Brent Celek, Benjamin Watson, Michael Williams
    LT (2): Jason Peters, Will Svitek
    LG (2): Evan Mathis, Manase Foketi
    C (2): Jason Kelce, Matt Stankiewich
    RG (2): Todd Herremans, Danny Watkins
    RT (2): Sebastian Vollmer, Dennis Kelly

Foles & Flynn are interchangeable depending on who wins the job. Bowe & Jackson will be the starting WRs giving defenses nightmares, and Jason "King LackofYAC" Avant resumes his duties in the slot. Our offensive line will be counting on everyone to return healthy in 2013, but I don't really think that anyone will be a huge concern besides Peters moving forward.

Defensive Depth Chart (25 Players)
    LDE (2): Brandon Graham, Vinny Curry
    UT (3): Fletcher Cox, Cullen Jenkins, Cedric Thornton
    NT (2): Star Loutelelei, Antonio Dixon
    RDE (3): Trent Cole, Philip Hunt, Quanterus Smith
    MLB (1): Demeco Ryans
    WLB: (2):Mychal Kendricks, Akeem Jordan
    SLB (2): Chase Thomas, Jamar Chaney
    CB (4): Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Derek Cox, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Curtis Marsh
    Slot CB (2): Brandon Boykin, Leon McFadden
    FS (2): Chris D. Clemons, Kurt Coleman
    SS (2): Matt Elam, Colt Anderson

Loutelelei & Cox in the middle should wreak havoc on the interior of opposing offensive lines while Cole & Graham should enjoy plenty of 1 on 1 matchups with opposing offensive tackles. The 2nd team defensive line of Curry\Jenkins\Dixon\Hunt provides outstanding depth to the front four. The addition of Chase Thomas to play SAM LB in 3 LB sets should do wonders with solidifying the run defense behind a vastly improved defensive line. Chaney & Jordan will be retained to as back-ups and will be counted on to contribute on special teams. In the secondary, which was an absolute mess with Nnamdi Asomugha, and extremely weak safety play is still a work in progress. DRC & Cox will be counted on to be solid cover corners, but with a vastly improved front 7, and a much better combination of safeties with Clemons & Elam should turn this secondary from one of the worst in the league to at least a serviceable secondary with room for much improvement.

Special Teams Depth Chart (3 Players)
    K (1): Alex Henery
    P (1): Matt McBriar
    LS (1): Jon Dorenbois
    KR: Kniles Davis (RB), Brandon Boynkin (CB)
    PR: Damaris Johnson, Desean Jackson (WR)

Nothing new here except Kniles Davis will get his opportunity to be "not as bad as Boynkin was last year" at kick returner. The special teams should be much improved with the increased depth on defense, so we'll see how it works out.

So even with the splurging on free agents, and the dead money associated with the cuttings of Vick & Asomugha, the Eagles should still be close to $17m under their cap ceiling before the draft picks are signed. This is without too much "creative cap accounting" on the free agency signings, and I'm sure the braintrust could restructure another contract like Demeco Ryans or Cullen Jenkins to provide any more necessary cap space. I think that this team could be capable of going anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 if we get decent QB play, and our defense gels and plays more physical the way I intend them to. Again, this is really supposed to be a multiyear process, but I think that if these moves work, I would be happy with the progress of the team, especially if they performed well really early while still being real young in a lot of key positions. Again, I don't think acquiring Matt Flynn will be very popular, but keep in mind that it was made with the pretense of bringing in Clements as the head coach, who wants a healthy QB competition between a rookie and a veteran who have both had limited success so far in the NFL. He will be trusted with making the correct decision on who is going to lead the Philadelphia Eagles moving forward. If neither one of them work out, then we can always start the "Blow for Bridgewater" campaign in 2014. What do you guys think? Any criticisms are appreciated.

Last edited by TheKingDP on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
oland11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok. Nice work.
Rock_#5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this happened I'd be a happy man! but i'd like to keep Allen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I quit reading after, "two starting quality QBs".
All I see on that roster is one guy that deserves a chance to go into camp as the starting QB if he is healthy and progresses through the off season.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock_#5 wrote:
If this happened I'd be a happy man! but i'd like to keep Allen.

I agree with this. Why is Allen...nevermind I'm going to start a new thread and not hijack KDP's mock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreh-Wilson is going to go in the 2nd. I like it a lot though.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like Tgrovac.

Rest is pretty good though.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thought out, props.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
TRUTH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Flynn, and I don't think the Chase Thomas makes it past the first few picks of the second round
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
All I see on that roster is one guy that deserves a chance to go into camp as the starting QB if he is healthy and progresses through the off season.

The Matt Flynn move is proposed for three reasons:

1) This mock has us hiring his QB Coach from Green Bay (Tom Clements) who knows what he has with Flynn. He doesn't know what he has with Foles until the games start. Foles, while impressive, still needs to show a ton of improvement if he's ever going to be a legitimate QB in the NFL.

2) What if Flynn, who has already worked with Clements in the past, turns out to be better suited to run the offense that Clements wants to run? It's costing us two 5th round picks to bring in a viable option should Foles struggle to improve in 2013. What is terrible about that?

3) This move isn't a Mike Vick\Tim Tebow wildcat gimmick signing. It's a legit "whoever wins the job keeps the job" move with pretty much zero financial risk in either player moving forward. What is the risk in having a QB competition? If Foles is better, Flynn can be cut at anytime with no salary cap repercussions.

I don't exactly see why we wouldn't make a move like that if we hired Tom Clements as head coach. If we didn't hire Tom Clements, we wouldn't trade for Matt Flynn. It's really not too difficult or "out there" as a concept. It's a mock draft. Enjoy it & as always, thank you for the criticism.
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Wreh-Wilson is going to go in the 2nd. I like it a lot though.

TRUTH wrote:
Not a fan of Flynn, and I don't think the Chase Thomas makes it past the first few picks of the second round

I also doubt these guys will be around where I have them slotted as well, but it makes my mock draft look better (to me at least) so I'm allowed to dream.. Laughing
birdman0069

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKingDP wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

1) This mock has us hiring his QB Coach from Green Bay (Tom Clements) who knows what he has with Flynn. He doesn't know what he has with Foles until the games start. Foles, while impressive, still needs to show a ton of improvement if he's ever going to be a legitimate QB in the NFL.

2) What if Flynn, who has already worked with Clements in the past, turns out to be better suited to run the offense that Clements wants to run? It's costing us two 5th round picks to bring in a viable option should Foles struggle to improve in 2013. What is terrible about that?

3) This move isn't a Mike Vick\Tim Tebow wildcat gimmick signing. It's a legit "whoever wins the job keeps the job" move with pretty much zero financial risk in either player moving forward. What is the risk in having a QB competition? If Foles is better, Flynn can be cut at anytime with no salary cap repercussions.

I don't exactly see why we wouldn't make a move like that if we hired Tom Clements as head coach. If we didn't hire Tom Clements, we wouldn't trade for Matt Flynn. It's really not too difficult or "out there" as a concept. It's a mock draft. Enjoy it & as always, thank you for the criticism.

You make it sound is if, polishing a piece of crap long enough actually turns him into something valuable.
The only reason to bring Clements in is to work with your young QB. Not to give him more responsibility. The last thing you do is bring in multiple young QBs so neither gets the attention or time to develop.
I would put my eggs in Foles basket. Flynn has shown me nothing, outside of one meaningless game, that would lead me to believe he could ever be more then a third string, developmental guy.
If you like the guy, say you like the guy. Please don't try and prove he could be the guy going forward when you nothing to back that up.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
TheKingDP wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

You make it sound is if, polishing a piece of crap long enough actually turns him into something valuable.
The only reason to bring Clements in is to work with your young QB. Not to give him more responsibility. The last thing you do is bring in multiple young QBs so neither gets the attention or time to develop.
I would put my eggs in Foles basket. Flynn has shown me nothing, outside of one meaningless game, that would lead me to believe he could ever be more then a third string, developmental guy.
If you like the guy, say you like the guy. Please don't try and prove he could be the guy going forward when you nothing to back that up.

Sorry, I quit reading after "The last thing you do is bring in multiple young QBs so neither gets the attention or time to develop"...

Uhhh.. Are you serious with that one?? If you are, don't even reply. It would just be wasting your time. That's the single dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Honestly. RG3 & Kirk Cousins.. Ah, screw it, I see what I'm arguing with in that single statement alone. It's not even worth it.
NoHypeNeeded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I do agree though on one thing: neither is a proven "starting caliber QB" by any stretch..
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoHypeNeeded wrote:
^I do agree though on one thing: neither is a proven "starting caliber QB" by any stretch..

Agreed 100%. Both could work out, or neither could work out. Neither QB has a large enough body of work to make any real determinations about their futures in the NFL. Let the coach decide who's better. That's what hes gonna get paid to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: