Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

null
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sr7252

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: null Reply with quote

null

Last edited by Sr7252 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Lovie Smith is a good coach and a great man and if I was still playing football I would have loved to have played for him. But in the end the Bears needed a change.

I will look back on Lovie tenure as a positive one in the development of the Bears. He saved us from the Jauron and Wanny days and he brought some credibility back to the franchise.

I do not believe he was ever going to take us to a Superbowl victory and I am okay with the move.

I am excited that we have a GM that has proven he will make bold moves to realize his vision and that he will take risks to win a Superbowl. Because firing Lovie is a risk. Emery could have gone 9-7 or 10-6 for a decade with Smith and been safe but ultimately not won a Championship.

Last edited by WindyCity on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sr7252

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a part of you doesn't at least feel like what if things get worse?

I mean a year more with a good OC would have DEFINITELY made it clear.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr7252 wrote:

A good OC and Lovie don't go in the same sentence.

He had 9 years and 4 tries at getting this good OC and he has failed.

And I admit it may get worse before it gets better.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr7252 wrote:

I am almost 30 years old.

I do not remember the 1985 season.

I will risk being worse to have a chance at the Superbowl. I would rathe go 4-12 for 3 years and win a Superbowl in year 4 then be 10-6 or 9-7 and not really have a chance at the Superbowl for 4 years.

I don't care about 10-6 and missing the playoffs I want to win the games that count.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Sr7252 wrote:

I will risk being worse to have a chance at the Superbowl. I would rathe go 4-12 for 3 years and win a Superbowl in year 4 then be 10-6 or 9-7 and not really have a chance at the Superbowl for 4 years.

I don't care about 10-6 and missing the playoffs I want to win the games that count.
I'm 32, I remember the 85 season, more importantly I remember the 94-2004 seasons. I remember being the cellar dweller. Furthermore I'm smart enough to realize that when you fire a guy and he immediately becomes the best coach on the market, you made a bad decision.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Sr7252 wrote:

I'm 32, I remember the 85 season, more importantly I remember the 94-2004 seasons. I remember being the cellar dweller. Furthermore I'm smart enough to realize that when you fire a guy and he immediately becomes the best coach on the market, you made a bad decision.

He isn't that mans name is Andy Ried.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Sr7252 wrote:

No it's Lovie Smith. Reid has lost multiple locker rooms, made bad decision after bad decision. He may have more NFCCGs than Lovie, Lovie is still the better coach.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Sr7252 wrote:

Oh dear Laughing
Sr7252

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I worry about is a scenario where we're a subpar team, we exit the first round yearly & still get low draft picks. That's football hell, football hell isn't being a last ranked team, least you know there's hope.

I'm going to hate this choice if Lovie becomes a SB contender on another team.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr7252 wrote:
What I worry about is a scenario where we're a subpar team, we exit the first round yearly & still get low draft picks. That's football hell, football hell isn't being a last ranked team, least you know there's hope.

I'm going to hate this choice if Lovie becomes a SB contender on another team.

What Lovie does on another team has no baring on the Bears.

Different situations, different players and different opponents make it impossible to compare.

He could have a ton of success on a team in a weak division with an already established offense.
Nads786

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovies going to have success for another team no doubt but I'm ok with this firing. We need to really go in an offensive direction and a fresh breath of air. And what did we all expect? New GM new coach...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking for his firing for a while now, but I have had a lump in my throat all day...

I know we on FF did nothing to influence the decision but I am sad to see such a great man, let alone HC go...

But if there was ever a time to usher in a new era it is now... I'm happy with the timing to say the least...

I think this also spells the end of Urlacher in a Bears uni as well, damn I'm sad, let's hope the future is fruitful at least...
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
A good OC and Lovie don't go in the same sentence.

He had 9 years and 4 tries at getting this good OC and he has failed.

And I admit it may get worse before it gets better.
I wholeheartedly agree that a change needed to be made WC. The only place I differ with you is what the change needed to be. Lovie Smith had 3 distinct problems:
1. He is faithful to a fault
2. He is accepting of antiquated offensive philosophies, styles, and people who run them
3. and worst of all...the residual slime of Jerry Angelo that remains to this day because it just takes time to remove all of the goo from this poop monster.

Now, that being said, let me tell you why firing Lovie was a BAD move. Lovie Smith is very good at a lot of things. He is a GREAT defensive coach. He gets every single drop of effort out of every player on his teams, and his positive, never-say-die attitude is infectious and his players buy into it/him. Part of being a great leader is knowing your own limitations. If Lovie didn't know it already I've got a news flash, your offense isn't/wasn't working. What Emery SHOULD have done is tell Lovie, we think your overall performance is solid, especially since that schlub of a man Jerky Angelo gave you a worthless pile of crap to work with on offense. However, we cannot continue this offensive trend. I am going to get us a new, high powered offensive mind who will mix conventional wisdom with great forward thinking that will fuel mismatches, opportunities for the playmakers we have in space, and plays that will confuse and cross up defenses, leaving guys uncovered at times. We will work around the clock to get you a realistic offensive line, not a bunch of castoffs and UFAs. You might disagree with him because he will make big plays, and not just be conservative and NOT lose games, but will WIN us games. We will take chances, we will be balls out, and we will put points on the board. All you need to do is co-exist with him. You might not like him one bit, but he will be MY hire, and he will my responsibility if he is a miserable failure.

In this scenario you don't have to start over, you don't have to switch defensive schemes ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR D IS ESTABLISHED AND WORKING VERY VERY WELL, and you can tweak with the real possibility of a Superbowl instead of a guy coming in with the real possibility of blowing this thing up to get his own system going, and using at least one year and the end of some great players' careers to do it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: