Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Keenan Lewis is going to test free agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read the news that he was testing the free agent market, I was surprised that he would say something to a reporter like "they made a mistake not signing me." That kind of statement kind of puts the appearance out there that you feel scorned and do not want to return. Kind of a "I'll show you" attitude. Then he put out a tweet saying that he was misquoted and never said that. He claims he told the reporter that he would leave contract talks to his agent.

I really hope he didnt say that becuase that would be a terrible attitude for him to have becuase he was not done wrong here. Had this been a situation like Matt Forte where he was recieveing 550k while being a probowl caliber back year after year then I would back that kind of statement 100 percent. In this case Lewis did nothing to prove he deserved a long term contract until this year. If he did say this it might make me rethink giving him a long term contract.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
2005-2007 he was a good nickle, but never made the jump, which is why they clinged on to DeShea for so long. They obviously didnt trust BMac to start.

"2011-2012 he was a barely rotational defensive lineman, but never made the jump, which is why they clinged on to DeShea/Ziggy. They obviously didn't trust Cam Heyward to start"

43 wrote:
Im not shying away from Rhodes because of BMac. I just dont think he is worth a top 20-25 pick. If I pick a corner in the top 20, its going to be because they excel in coverage. .

fair enough. I still have to watch more of Banks and Rhodes. I've seen more of Rhodes than Banks, so perhaps that's where my leanings are

stefan52268 wrote:
I'm a bit taken back by Lewis' statement. Think about it what kind of long term deal would he have received before this season? He was a below average to average corner showing nothing much in his first three season. At most the steelers would have offered him a 5 year deal worth about 18 mil tops. Now he will most likely receive 10 million more.

which is why the steelers made a mistake in not locking him up long-term. Now his BFF Wallace is headed out the door, and Lewis has $$$ in his eyes.

steelers made a mistake. I would've made the same mistake, because no frickin' way would I have signed Lewis to any type of long term contract before this season.

I don't feel that the Steelers made a mistake. What evidence did he provide the previous three seasons that he deserved to have been given a longterm deal when he couldn't even beat out William Gay and only became a starter in his fourth year. If the Steelers dished out longterm contracts to every underachieving player prior to their contract year then they would be stuck with a lot of bad deals. It was smart, at the time, not to give him a contract when he clearly never proven himself before this season. Obviously if they knew he would be the team's most improved player they would have easily have extended him but he simply didn't deserve a contract in the preseason. There would most likely would have been a lot of negative reaction if the Steelers signed him to a deal. It would have been too risky.

I do hope the two sides can come to terms. I never thought he would have the type of year he did. I figured he was a candidate to be released in training camp. It's nice to finally have a CB opposite of Taylor to actually make plays on the ball. He needs to catch a few of those though but it looked like the light finally turned on for him. I wouldn't tag him though. Not for only one good season.

I'm also glad he cleared things up with the his tweet. I hope he was telling the truth and not just covering for himself.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Keenan Lewis is going to test free agency Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01/steelers-cb-keenan-lewis-says-steelers-made-a-mistake-in-not-locking-him-up/

Xavier Rhodes and Jonathan Banks are now in the running at 1.17 if they're still available

and will it take them a few years to get on the field if they get drafted? Will they have to be ST players while they learn LeBeau's complicated defense?

They really screwed up not signing Lewis but that is too late now. Sounds like he will be gone Embarassed Allen is good, but we need 3 good corners, and c brown is not that good another poor draft pick by the FO.

If they would have given Lewis a fair shot a while ago, they would have known what they had, but instead they kept willie and Bmac out there since LeBeau wanted those players.

This mistake all falls on the coaching, because the FO can only sign players to long term that they know are good players. If the player doesn't play much (like Heyward now) how will they know what the player is capable of. Plus the switch to more man to man coverage has allowed Lewis's skills to show. If Lake wasn't here, we wouldn't even know about Lewis that much.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
"2011-2012 he was a barely rotational defensive lineman, but never made the jump, which is why they clinged on to DeShea/Ziggy. They obviously didn't trust Cam Heyward to start"

LMAO...no.

BMac never showed the talent to be a quality starter, at least not consistently. Remember in 2006 when Ike got benched, and BMac came in and played even worse?

McFadden was always a solid tackler. He never had what it took from a coverage standpoint. Like I said, the only year he looked that good in coverage was in 2008 when our pass rush was crazy and even made William Gay look good.

He was terrible in Arizona and he was terrible when he came back here.

He was never, at any point in his career, a true starting caliber CB. Just a glorified nickle.

Now...Im not saying Rhodes will turn out like that. I just dont like the idea of drafting a corner based on how well he tackles. IMO, thats the biggest why most of our CBs have been average at best, and usually worse than that.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Keenan Lewis is going to test free agency Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
They really screwed up not signing Lewis but that is too late now. Sounds like he will be gone Embarassed Allen is good, but we need 3 good corners, and c brown is not that good another poor draft pick by the FO.

How did they "really screw up"?

Are they supposed to be psychics and predict that a guy who barely showed the ability to be a quality backup in previous years would suddenly become a solid starting CB?

Maybe if Lewis actually gave them a reason to sign him long term before this seaosn, they wouldve done so.

And Lewis is an idiot for saying that. If they DID sign him long term last offseason, he wouldve made far less than what he will make now. If anything he should be thankful.

This has contract year wonder written all over it. I would never give him a huge contract. One good year doesnt convince me of anything, especially when the years before were nowhere close to this.

And Curtis Brown has shown flashes. He is no worse than how Lewis looked in his first few seasons. Saying its a poor pick when he has only really had one training camp thus far is a joke.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY, my stupid safari cookies let me sign in. I had to figure it out, to respond to the hypocrisy in this thread. 3Rivers, how the heck can you go from praising the Steelers to letting them give Lewis years and years to see if he can turn the page, and then the next sentence state we should give up on Curtis Brown because he sucks. If we do what you say, we'd never would've seen Lewis' potential.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Lewis claimed that he was completely misquoted, so who knows what the truth is

we'll find out in April. Smile
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
BTW, Lewis claimed that he was completely misquoted, so who knows what the truth is

For as much as you and 3Rivers criticize our GM's for not having psychic powers, I wish you and 3Rivers improved in that area and told us who we're drafting this year! Wink
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

For as much as you and 3Rivers criticize our GM's for not having psychic powers, I wish you and 3Rivers improved in that area and told us who we're drafting this year! Wink

I wanted them to draft Adams, and they did and he won Steelers rookie of the year. Laughing , they drafted an OL like I wanted:lol: and he won rookie of the year.Laughing I wanted them to draft Fangupo since NT was a concern, but they got him later on anyways. Laughing

Anyways, I never expected them to have psychic powers. When they still played more zone with bmac and willie, it never really gave Lewis a chance. I have a difficult time believing Lewis was not as good as either of those two. This blame goes on the coaches (not Lake) because if they played more man coverage I think Lewis would have displaced willie and bmac.

Either way, lets hope he stays. With Lewis Allen and Taylor healthy, the secondary smothered opponents. At one point (mid season redskins, giants, bungles era) I thought they could have held their own against anyone and that was without a pass rush. C Brown has not show to be a decent corner IMO, but a good ST player .

Maybe a poll to see who wants Lewis to stay? Just think if Lewis and Allen improve and Taylor is the same and they stay healthy Surprised Then add a pass rush Razz but instead ben talks them into signing wallace Rolling Eyes
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

psychic in talent evaluation. I have no frickin' clue who we'll draft.

the steelers' personnel moves frequently baffle me
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

I wanted them to draft Adams, and they did and he won Steelers rookie of the year:

My God that's depressing. The Steelers ROY was a backup RT who was injured for half the season. 2013 HAS to be better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
3rivers wrote:

I wanted them to draft Adams, and they did and he won Steelers rookie of the year:

My God that's depressing. The Steelers ROY was a backup RT who was injured for half the season. 2013 HAS to be better.

Didn't Sep win in his rookie season?

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Didn't Sep win in his rookie season?

You're not helping

Location: Hmm fire Tomlin of course y didnt i think of that oh yea because thats stupid.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If generating sacks and pressure is going to be an issue next year by all means if there isn't a worthy pass rusher there take the best cover man you can get.

^ TommyC376 sig n avy^
"You know your a parent when you pay $120 for your kid to watch something live thats on tv for free"
greene91fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Second year in a row that happened.
Gilbert was backup LT in 11 + Colon going down=Gilbert starting at RT.
Adams was backup RT in 11 + Gilbert going down=Adams starting at RT.

Problem is, Adams played twice as good than Gilbert did in 11. I have high hopes for the kid. He seemed to play well this year. The running game was significantly better with him in the starting lineup IMO.

Thanks Lysar529 for the sig!

"Arguing with some people is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. The more you do it, the more you realize the pig is enjoying it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: