Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Keenan Lewis is going to test free agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Id take Banks at 17 pending there arent any capable pass rushers.

I dont see the big deal with Xavier Rhodes. Not saying he is bad, but I dont consdier him a top CB prospect.

Xavier Rhodes will play aggressive towards the run and pass. I can't say the same for Johnthan Banks as he's extremely passive when it comes to making plays in the running game.

Banks is better in coverage and IMO, a better fit for this team.

The reason why we have sucked at corner for so long is because they focused too much on getting players that could tackle, even at the sacrifice of cover skills.

Now, I will admit that the fact that Rhodes is a better tackler may get him higher on the FO's draft board, but if it were up to me, Id take Banks.

Rhodes IMO is just Bryant McFadden with better cover skills.

I was gonna put that statement about Bryant McFadden in my post, but I thought we'd were pass that.

Bryant McFadden was on his way to being a very good CB till injuries robbed him of his abilities. Xavier Rhodes plays the same position at the same school doesn't mean he'll be the same player.

Can't shy away from a player form a past players failures.

Honestly, it has nothing to do with them being from the same school. In fact, that wasnt even remotely in my mind until you posted that just now.

They just have similar skillsets, so the comparison is there.

Rhodes is better, but not THAT much better.

As for McFadden....it was much more than injuries. He never estabilished himself as a starting caliber CB in his first 3 years. 2005-2007 he was a good nickle, but never made the jump, which is why they clinged on to DeShea for so long. They obviously didnt trust BMac to start. 2008 he looked good in our defense, but so did William Gay. In fact, Gay looked better than BMac at times. Thats why they felt comfy letting BMac walk.

Anyway....Im not shying away from Rhodes because of BMac. I just dont think he is worth a top 20-25 pick. If I pick a corner in the top 20, its going to be because they excel in coverage.

Thats just my stance. If you feel differently, I respect that.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
David Todd‏@DavidMTodd
The "news" Keenan Lewis is going to test free agency is not news. He's an unrestricted free agent, why not check market? Normal. #Steelers

If he's worth it we will find a way to resign him

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
stefan52268

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit taken back by Lewis' statement. Think about it what kind of long term deal would he have received before this season? He was a below average to average corner showing nothing much in his first three season. At most the steelers would have offered him a 5 year deal worth about 18 mil tops. Now he will most likely receive 10 million more.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Rhodes is about 2" taller, 20 lbs heavier, with better ball skills. besides, McFadden was pretty solid until he became a china doll and he lost his athleticism, which was pretty impressive.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Rhodes is about 2" taller, 20 lbs heavier, with better ball skills. besides, McFadden was pretty solid until he became a china doll and he lost his athleticism, which was pretty impressive.

Basically what I said.

Size doesnt mean much to me unless they are just undersized. They have similar skillsets, but as you said, better cover skills...just not great IMO.

And I already commented on BMac. He was solid as our nickle and the only time he looked like a suitable starter was in 2008 when William Gay looked just as good. (Becuase of our fierce pass rush...which I maintain is a far bigger need)
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
2005-2007 he was a good nickle, but never made the jump, which is why they clinged on to DeShea for so long. They obviously didnt trust BMac to start.

"2011-2012 he was a barely rotational defensive lineman, but never made the jump, which is why they clinged on to DeShea/Ziggy. They obviously didn't trust Cam Heyward to start"

43 wrote:
Im not shying away from Rhodes because of BMac. I just dont think he is worth a top 20-25 pick. If I pick a corner in the top 20, its going to be because they excel in coverage. .

fair enough. I still have to watch more of Banks and Rhodes. I've seen more of Rhodes than Banks, so perhaps that's where my leanings are

stefan52268 wrote:
I'm a bit taken back by Lewis' statement. Think about it what kind of long term deal would he have received before this season? He was a below average to average corner showing nothing much in his first three season. At most the steelers would have offered him a 5 year deal worth about 18 mil tops. Now he will most likely receive 10 million more.

which is why the steelers made a mistake in not locking him up long-term. Now his BFF Wallace is headed out the door, and Lewis has $$$ in his eyes.

steelers made a mistake. I would've made the same mistake, because no frickin' way would I have signed Lewis to any type of long term contract before this season.
jcm412

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Quote:
David Todd‏@DavidMTodd
The "news" Keenan Lewis is going to test free agency is not news. He's an unrestricted free agent, why not check market? Normal. #Steelers

If he's worth it we will find a way to resign him

Agreed, If they really think he is worth it they can tag him and work out a deal.

All we can hope is that other teams see him for what he is a one year wonder so far and it wont have to come to that.
jcm412

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has any one seen the twitter quote? When was it posted?
TSerg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want to clear this up: I never said anything about @steelers making a mistake by not signing me last season. I love the Rooneys, Organization & fans. I only stayed that my agent will handle the contract talks.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kiq5dj

Quote:
I was misquoted by a reporter saying it was a mistake not to give me a contract last year. Try to make my image look bad, but here Wat it is, I'm not money greedy, I had my exit meeting today and it went great. I know we in the right direction as far as a contract, I believe strongly I would be apart of Steeler Nation next season. To do a three peat as the number one pass defense period. Here we go

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kiqgvn

[/url]
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Lewis clear that up. I couldn't imagine him actually thinking such a thing. I think something around $5 million average is reasonable. Lewis proved to me that he's a legitimate corner and not the product of our system. When is the last time we could honestly say that?
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good year of tape, in a system with a coach that works for him.

He was flat out awful coming into 2012. Let's not forget that.

Once he tests FA and finds he is not the commodity many think he is, he will resign for a reasonable deal in Pitt.

He is neither tag worthy nor top dollar worthy.

He's a good mid range CB with possible upside, seems like a class guy to boot. I'd like to keep him for sure, but only if the price is right.

The emphasis this off season needs to be on keeping Wallace in B&G and kicking Todd Haley in the throat for his playcalling.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know this season K. Lewis actually had a higher base salary then I. Taylor?

I say give K. Lewis the same contract they gave I. Taylor in few years ago. 4yrs 28M 9M guaranteed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to watch the tape on the games Ike was out again, but not really sold enough on Lewis as a future #1 CB. At the very least he looks like he could be the long term #2, but I'd still like to see us grab a CB in this draft or next if a good prospect falls to us in a round where there isn't a better prospect at another position of need. Especially if Ike's being injured at his age causes a decline.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people will Disagree with me and maybe its a homer pick but id much rather have Kenny Vaccaro who will help ST and can likely help at NB his rookie year while he learns the system and is groomed to take over for Clark.

That said I think upgrading the Pass Rush will help us more then upgrading the DBs even with out Lewis
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Did you know this season K. Lewis actually had a higher base salary then I. Taylor?

Ike restructured his contract, converting the entirety of his base salary, sans vet minimum, to bonus, stretched it over the length of his contract, and reduced the cap hit this season substantially. All of our longer-term contracts are like that. Huge base salary, very low bonuses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: