Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Cowboys to get OC, Sturm, No Regrets
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Report: Cowboys to get OC, Sturm, No Regrets Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Garrett's job is secure, but Dallas does plan to bring in help on the offensive side of the ball.

"The Cowboys intend to keep Jason Garrett, I have not heard this morning that that has changed," Rapoport told "Around the League" on Monday. "A better possibility is that the Cowboys could hire an offensive coordinator to call plays for Jason Garrett and allow him to be a walk-around coach and essentially just be the leader of men that they think he can be."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000119968/article/report-cowboys-eye-playcalling-oc-to-help-garrett?campaign=Twitter_atl

Quote:
And yet, with a defense that in no way resembled the defense that they left training camp with, they were once again playing for a division title with 3 minutes to play in the season.

So, do you fire and trade everyone - including your quarterback?

No. I am guessing you get to work on building a team that does not have to rely on Romo to get them everywhere they arrive. Because at this point, we seem to have a pretty good idea that that can only take them so far. Like most NFL teams, the Cowboys do not have a QB who can drag the rest of the club all the way to the Super Bowl.

Nobody wants to hear that right now. Romo had the season in his hands last night and he threw it to the other team.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/12/31/12/Cowboys-needed-more-from-Romo-vs-Skins/landing_cowboys.html?blockID=842533&feedID=9348

Quote:
I have no regrets, on that count. I am glad and proud to be counted a fan of the 2012 Dallas Cowboys, Jason Garrett, and in particular, Tony Romo. I believe in these guys as much now as I did 24 hours ago. I stand by them and with them. Call them (and me) "loser" or "choker" or whatever other label you want. I'm proud to wear it alongside them and have it known that I believe this team is destined for great things, sooner rather than later. They will go through hell this off season. They will hear about it all next year... and will keep hearing it till the next time they hoist the Lombardi. The owner will come under severe pressure to change his direction, his coaching staff, and his QB. But there is no shame in daring and falling short and there is nothing wrong with this team that continuing on their current course won't fix. I am hurting as much as anyone not actually a part of the team, right now, but I am absolutely, 100% behind their current direction and I am excited for next year. I still believe my heart is in good hands.

...and that's all I have to say about that.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/12/31/3821560/no-regrets

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, let it be Norv Pray

^^^mack
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Garrett at least gets fired as offensive coordinator, I'll be satisfied with that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that the play calling isn't a problem for this team, that criticizing play calling is a "hindsight is 20-20" deal (that you wouldn't criticize it if the play worked, which comes down to the players), and that basically all fans criticize their team's offensive play calling.

Something needs to be done about this team constantly playing from behind, however. Norv would delight me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

At this point, I would be happy with just about anyone but NOrv is not my first choice. I don't think he can recreate the magic this team had 20 years ago... but like I said, I would be happy with anyone....
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
If Garrett at least gets fired as offensive coordinator, I'll be satisfied with that.

It would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ultimately, that's all they can do. And Romo's certainly shown the ability to get the Cowboys in position to play in the big game. But when you add this game to last season's Week 17 loss to the Giants and to the playoff game against the Giants in 2008 and the botched-snap game in Seattle and the oft-cited fact that he's got just the one playoff win in his entire career, the guy's record starts to become very hard to defend. We judge quarterbacks on their ability to elevate their teams in big moments, and on the other side of the spectrum we judge them on their propensity for damaging mistakes in big spots. Washington rookie Robert Griffin III, for instance, surely didn't win Sunday's game for the Redskins, but he didn't blow it, either. That says something about the 22-year-old Griffin that cannot be said of the 32-year-old Romo, who knows it well.

"It will take me a while, because I put everything I had into this, and it's a hard thing when it ends like this," Romo said. "It's going to be a rough time for me because I know how much effort and time it took to get into this position. I know how much you have to work for your football team to get into this position."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/47654/tony-romo-has-himself-to-blame

Quote:

Quarterback Tony Romo said he suffered a cracked rib on his left side, an injury sustained when he was hit by Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson late in the second quarter.

Outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said he will need to undergo surgeries on his right shoulder and elbow, injuries that have affected Ware for weeks and reduced the perennial Pro Bowler to a part-time player in the season finale.

Receiver Dez Bryant suffered severe lower back spasms that forced him to leave the game in the fourth quarter. Bryant, who was not available to the media after the game, had to be helped into the showers and left the stadium in a wheelchair.

Receiver Miles Austin suffered a high ankle sprain in the second quarter. He attempted to play after halftime but left the game during the opening series of the third quarter.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8795296/tony-romo-dez-bryant-miles-austin-dallas-cowboys-hurt-loss

Quote:

The perennial Pro Bowler was reduced to being a part-time player because of injuries to his right elbow and shoulder that he said will require separate operations to repair. Ware was credited with only one assist and one quarterback hurry in the 28-18 loss to the Washington Redskins.

“He gave us everything he had,” defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said. “Shouldn’t have been out there, but he was trying. Believe me, he was giving us everything he’s got and then some. We needed his leadership; he gave it to us. He was trying his [inappropriate/removed] off, but obviously it’s tough.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704134/demarcus-ware-needs-elbow-shoulder-surgeries

Quote:
"The first interception was just a hot, kind of a built in hot that Tony saw pressure, and I’ve just got to get my eyes back a little quicker and give him a throw," Ogletree said.

The second was on Romo as he missed Miles Austin on a deep pass that Josh Wilson intercepted.

The Redskins, though, couldn't capitalize on either one, with a missed field goal and a punt.

Romo's third was the killer. With Dallas trailing by only three points, Romo felt pressure and tried to get the ball to running back DeMarco Murray. Rob Jackson intercepted at the Dallas 27.

"I think they sent a rusher inside that was going to break our protection, and I thought the safe throw was to throw it to DeMarco in the flat on the sideline," Romo said. "The guy made a play. He did a good job of peeling off as a defensive end, and I wish I had made a different decision at that time. That’s very disappointing. We had done a very good job in the final five to 10 minutes this year to give ourselves a chance to win a lot of football games. It just hurts a lot right now, and it’s hard to think about and talk about."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2012/12/cowboys-get-away-with-first-two-ints-but-the-third-did-them-in.html#storylink=cpy

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

At this point, I would be happy with just about anyone but NOrv is not my first choice. I don't think he can recreate the magic this team had 20 years ago... but like I said, I would be happy with anyone....

Who would you rather see?

Not calling you out or saying Norv is the only choice, I'm legitimately curious.

^^^mack
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
mco65 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

Not calling you out or saying Norv is the only choice, I'm legitimately curious.

To be honest I have not really thought about it. I only know that great players make mediocre coaches look great.. and that's what I think happened 20 years ago with Norv. He does prefer a run 1st style of offense and I am in favor of that but I just don't think he holds the key to taking this offense to another level.

UPgrade the OLine and get a proven veteran OC that likes to run the ball and I will be satisfied.. Wink
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
To be honest I have not really thought about it. I only know that great players make mediocre coaches look great.. and that's what I think happened 20 years ago with Norv. He does prefer a run 1st style of offense and I am in favor of that but I just don't think he holds the key to taking this offense to another level.

UPgrade the OLine and get a proven veteran OC that likes to run the ball and I will be satisfied.. Wink

With the recent firing of Ken Whisenhunt, I would not be against bringing him in. He isn't afraid to run the ball and I think would run an offense that could get the most out of the guys we have here.

^^^mack
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
mco65 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

You know he has been play calling at other places with success since then, right? He made Alex Smith look good before Harbough did it.

If not Norv, I would look at Shurmur.

plan9misfit wrote:

matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiz will probably get looks as a head coach. If not he's an excellent offensive coordinator candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
If not Norv, I would look at Shurmur.

That would be an 'outside-the-box' hiring...

^^^mack
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Garrett will want a strong OC like Wisenhut, because he knows it's an easy transition to fire the HC and move the other guy up during the season. Kinda like when he back stabbed Wade.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Whiz will probably get looks as a head coach. If not he's an excellent offensive coordinator candidate.

AGREE!
I Would like to see him in Dallas but I have to believe he has his eyes on a bigger prize.. HC, not OC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: