Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Sign Billy Cundiff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tiger9er08


Joined: 14 Nov 2009
Posts: 1386
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe 2 wrongs make a right here d'oh!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22730
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-Willy52 wrote:
sbrown wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/286241023523450882

Barrows wrote:
Heard Justin Medlock went 21-22 on FG attempts during his #49ers tryout today with one off the upright. Billy Cundiff? ...


https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/286241168675729408

Barrows wrote:
... He had two bonk off the upright, but both went in. He was 22-22 and also distinguished himself on kickoffs.


how did cundiff get the job if medlock looked that good? and I agree nate keading would have been a better look


what are you failing to comprehend?? medlock missed one cundiff didnt while looking better on kick offs...i think everyone is over-reacting, and hopefully were not even in a position where the kicker matters.


Hopefully, but chances are, we will be in a position where a kick is needed. I'm not panicking over the move, just more confused. Cundiff was beyond horrible in both no pressure and high pressure situations. I doubt we'll see him at all, and I hope that Akers can get it together.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blast


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 1420
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell of a way to ring in the New Year.
_________________
Quote:
"I don't know who they think we are. We're on a mission."-Patrick BamBam Willis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninerfanwheelz


Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 11643
Location: Kempes on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay?
_________________


BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigBruh


Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 82
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, it doesn't matter who we signed. Kickers seem to be random year in and year out. Case in point? David Akers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarkfn2284


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3199
Location: Modesto,CA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:
you guys need to calm down...


People said the same thing after we signed Brandon Jacobs and others went overboard. Sometimes, signings are just bad.



this signing is only bad if Cundiff takes Akers job and then goes out andmsses fg's. In that case then it falls on both of them because neither guy could do their job.

Fact remains that Akers isnt getting the job done and he has a history of doing this, as he did in Philly. The other fact is no matter who they sign there were 32 teams including the niners who chose they ere not a better option at kicker, incuding cundiff.

im willing to bet that Akers is the guy unless he is hurt

and what was so awful about the Jacobs signing? He dint have an effect on the team either way.
_________________
NextBigThing wrote:
rice wasn't close to do as good as his stats would lead one to assume


okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clarkfn2284


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 3199
Location: Modesto,CA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
P-Willy52 wrote:
sbrown wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/286241023523450882

Barrows wrote:
Heard Justin Medlock went 21-22 on FG attempts during his #49ers tryout today with one off the upright. Billy Cundiff? ...


https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/286241168675729408

Barrows wrote:
... He had two bonk off the upright, but both went in. He was 22-22 and also distinguished himself on kickoffs.


how did cundiff get the job if medlock looked that good? and I agree nate keading would have been a better look


what are you failing to comprehend?? medlock missed one cundiff didnt while looking better on kick offs...i think everyone is over-reacting, and hopefully were not even in a position where the kicker matters.


Hopefully, but chances are, we will be in a position where a kick is needed. I'm not panicking over the move, just more confused. Cundiff was beyond horrible in both no pressure and high pressure situations. I doubt we'll see him at all, and I hope that Akers can get it together.



i understand the nervousness with Cundiff, but who else is out there? 32 teams felt they had a better option at kicker then any of the guys available.
_________________
NextBigThing wrote:
rice wasn't close to do as good as his stats would lead one to assume


okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 8983
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
P-Willy52 wrote:
sbrown wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/286241023523450882

Barrows wrote:
Heard Justin Medlock went 21-22 on FG attempts during his #49ers tryout today with one off the upright. Billy Cundiff? ...


https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/286241168675729408

Barrows wrote:
... He had two bonk off the upright, but both went in. He was 22-22 and also distinguished himself on kickoffs.


how did cundiff get the job if medlock looked that good? and I agree nate keading would have been a better look


what are you failing to comprehend?? medlock missed one cundiff didnt while looking better on kick offs...i think everyone is over-reacting, and hopefully were not even in a position where the kicker matters.


Hopefully, but chances are, we will be in a position where a kick is needed. I'm not panicking over the move, just more confused. Cundiff was beyond horrible in both no pressure and high pressure situations. I doubt we'll see him at all, and I hope that Akers can get it together.
Cundiff was bad the past few years if I recall. I know he was bad on the Skins this year. I don't get why they got a guy who sucks at long FGs. That's what our issue is with our kicker. I think we can all agree that if the kick id 40 or less we are comfortable with Akers. The problem is with kicks over 40 that we have a problem with. Cundiff doesn't solve the problem IMO. Unless Cundiff was only signed to light a fire under Akers then I'm ok with this signing.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UofMfan909


Moderator
Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 29008
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Special Teams was a main factor in us missing the superbowl last year and the same could hold true this year. Do not trust Ginn, Akers, or Cundiff at all.

Don't really like this signing. Would have preferred Dave Rayner, Neil Rackers, Ryan Longwell, or even John Kasay. Even Nate Kaeding would have been better, his playoff misses were all from 50+ yards. If we were a little more proactive we could have signed Josh Brown from the Bengals a few weeks ago. He's gone 11/12 for the Bengals this year. He signed with them after their original kicker went on IR.

Not really sure why we waited this long and it could really come back to haunt us soon. Of all the positions to hold us back from a superbowl, a freaking kicker Brick wall


I would've picked up Erik Folk. He was a finalist for the Lou Groza award in college last season, signed as a UDFA by the Falcons (but was cut), had some good college stats... plus he's young, so if he impressed there's long term potential... but that's just because the veterans out there are so unappealing. I get why they went for experience, though, since there's no time to get regular season trial and error before the playoffs now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3760
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What concerns me a bit is what Barrows pointed out in a recent article. Akers and Nedney before him are both left footed kickers. I wonder if Lee is going to be comfy lining up and setting up the placekicks from the opposite side after all these years? Scenes from the end of North Dallas Forty is running through my paranoid head... Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22730
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
What concerns me a bit is what Barrows pointed out in a recent article. Akers and Nedney before him are both left footed kickers. I wonder if Lee is going to be comfy lining up and setting up the placekicks from the opposite side after all these years? Scenes from the end of North Dallas Forty is running through my paranoid head... Wink


Was Reed a lefty or righty? We had him for a bit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13262
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Psychlone wrote:
What concerns me a bit is what Barrows pointed out in a recent article. Akers and Nedney before him are both left footed kickers. I wonder if Lee is going to be comfy lining up and setting up the placekicks from the opposite side after all these years? Scenes from the end of North Dallas Forty is running through my paranoid head... Wink


Was Reed a lefty or righty? We had him for a bit.



Righty, I think. I remember being concerned with the switch, but we never had any problem. I don't think we have to worry about Andy. He's not the best player in the NFL for nothing.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26969
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have so many picks, would anyone mind if went for a top kicker in the 4th round, or even possibly the 3rd round? I mean this isn't ideal, but if we find a Blair Walsh type.............................
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 8983
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Since we have so many picks, would anyone mind if went for a top kicker in the 4th round, or even possibly the 3rd round? I mean this isn't ideal, but if we find a Blair Walsh type.............................
I think we can get one later than that.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EverythingSF


Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 3035
Location: Merced, CA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of it. Now that we have an extra week to prepare we need to do something to test Akers and try to get his head right. He gets to go into a competition like setting now with his job on the line which is best equator to a game being on the line. As a coach I think you sit here and hope your guy (Akers) can get his head on straight and win his job while regaining his confidence and getting back to his true form in the meantime. Worst case scenario is that he does terrible in the competition for his job and you more than likely dodge the bullet of him pulling that same kind of choke job in the playoffs, just in this scenario you have to hope Cundiff would not still do the same
_________________

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group