Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft Prospects Thread IV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
^Byrd won't hit FA.

I didn't think Donte Whitner would either. They most likely have to pick between franchising Levitre or Byrd.

Do you let a good Guard hit FA or an elite Safety?

Protect my QB and open holes for my RB, so I'd pick Levitre if I could only have 1. I don't think Byrd is elite. I don't think any safety in the league is elite any more. Just a few really good ones. But that Buffalo OL is trash and Levitre is their best one.

So your willing to pay top 5 OT money (The franchise tag for all OL is the same IIRC) over paying top 5 money for a top 3 safety? If so then your logic is flawed.

Levitre is a good player, Byrd is a great player.

My logic is about winning games, not winning the payroll. I'll pay Levitre top 5 OT money under the assumption I'm going to eventually sign him to a long term OG contract.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, D Greenberry, C Davis, T Coleman, H Kikaha, T Clemmings
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
^Byrd won't hit FA.

I didn't think Donte Whitner would either. They most likely have to pick between franchising Levitre or Byrd.

Protect my QB and open holes for my RB, so I'd pick Levitre if I could only have 1. I don't think Byrd is elite. I don't think any safety in the league is elite any more. Just a few really good ones. But that Buffalo OL is trash and Levitre is their best one.

So your willing to pay top 5 OT money (The franchise tag for all OL is the same IIRC) over paying top 5 money for a top 3 safety? If so then your logic is flawed.

My logic is about winning games, not winning the payroll. I'll pay Levitre top 5 OT money under the assumption I'm going to eventually sign him to a long term OG contract.

So your letting a great player (arguably the best S in football) and team leader, who would be cheaper, allowing you to add other good players, go for a good guard who would hurt your activity in free agency. Its easier to find a good guard than a great safety, we signed Evan Mathis to a deal for the veterans minimum 2 seasons ago, and have had the worst safety play in league history since Dawkins left. There are more good guards than great safeties, and if you have a great safety who might be the best in the NFL you don't let him walk for a good guard, that makes no sense.

Poor safety play can cause you games just as much as OL, look at how many times Kurt Coleman and Nate Allen bit on plays leaving wide open receivers over the top. The Colts won 11 games with an awful OL including 3 Eagles castoffs, they sucked so bad they couldn't make OUR OL.

Last edited by EaglesFan5-36-81 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
^Byrd won't hit FA.

So your letting a great player (arguably the best S in football) and team leader, who would be cheaper, allowing you to add other good players, go for a good guard who would hurt your activity in free agency. Its easier to find a good guard than a great safety, we signed Evan Mathis to a deal for the veterans minimum 2 seasons ago, and have had the worst safety play in league history since Dawkins left. There are more good guards than great safeties, and if you have a great safety who might be the best in the NFL you don't let him walk for a good guard, that makes no sense.

It's easier to win with good trenches than a good secondary. The Giants won 2 SB's without a great safety or CB's.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, D Greenberry, C Davis, T Coleman, H Kikaha, T Clemmings
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Buffalo has enough cap to sign both.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah plus levitre is probably a better player at guard than byrd is at safety. I think the bills keep levitre and then I think byrd comes here because he knows chip kelly from oregon.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Pretty sure Buffalo has enough cap to sign both.

But do they both want to return? Or do you think they are ready for a change of scenery after being stuck in football limbo? I'm not saying they will come here- because we suck, but I don't think both guys chomp at the bit to return to the Bills.

Last edited by Jeezla on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
^Byrd won't hit FA.

It's easier to win with good trenches than a good secondary. The Giants won 2 SB's without a great safety or CB's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't Kenny Phillips, Antrell Rolle, Coey Webster, Aaron Ross, Prince Amukamara, and Terrell Thomas all first or second round selections while in their first superbowl with a 5th round pick at LT, an undrafted LG and C, and a 3rd round RT.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Yeah plus levitre is probably a better player at guard than byrd is at safety. I think the bills keep levitre and then I think byrd comes here because he knows chip kelly from oregon.

I think you just want him here, but Byrd might be the best safety in football, Levitre is a good guard.
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:

This is irrelevant to the discussion but when we first drafted Nate Allen I could have sworn the commentators said he was from Oregon so I was all cheery because Jarius Byrd lead all rookies in INTs with like 8? But then when I got Madden and it said he was from USF I got really REALLY sad.
Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
^Byrd won't hit FA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't Kenny Phillips, Antrell Rolle, Coey Webster, Aaron Ross, Prince Amukamara, and Terrell Thomas all first or second round selections while in their first superbowl with a 5th round pick at LT, an undrafted LG and C, and a 3rd round RT.

Who cares where they were drafted? You are either good or you aren't.

Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

I think you just want him here, but Byrd might be the best safety in football, Levitre is a good guard.

SO they have the best safety in football and still totally suck on D? Wonder if it's because...they don't win in the trenches!

EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

SO they have the best safety in football and still totally suck on D? Wonder if it's because...they don't win in the trenches!

Hm, they also have a ton of talent on the DL, so the trenches must not matter either...

Quote:

Proof you can find good guards easier than you can find great safeties, keeping a good player by letting a great impact player go is dumb.

Also, Phillips is a very good safety and Rolle is a damn good playmaker in the back end who is versatile enough to play the slot or line up over tight ends due to his time at corner. To say or insinuate they aren't good players is simply untrue.

With everyone back healthy (Peters, Herremans, Kelce) our 4 best lineman (including Mathis) were taken after the 2nd. Meanwhile we haven't been able to add a good safety since Dawkins.

Last edited by EaglesFan5-36-81 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Hm, they also have a ton of talent on the DL, so the trenches must not matter either...

Quote:

Proof you can find good guards easier than you can find great safeties, keeping a good player by letting a great impact player go is dumb.

Also, Phillips is a very good safety and Rolle is a damn good playmaker in the back end who is versatile enough to play the slot or line up over tight ends due to his time at corner. To say or insinuate they aren't good players is simply untrue.

Phillips is not that good. Rolle is inconsistent. To say they are good players simply isn't true. They are good when the DL pressure is good.
And "Good talent" isn't the same as "good player".

EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Quote:

Phillips is not that good. Rolle is inconsistent. To say they are good players simply isn't true. They are good when the DL pressure is good.
And "Good talent" isn't the same as "good player".

Phillips went from good, but he's not that good to not good to good when he has a pass rush. That might be the most condecending thing ever. Also, Levitre is good, but not that good. It doesn't make sense from a financial point of view or a football point of view to tag Levitre over Byrd.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Well byrd is the only great fa I think we'd have a chance at.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 98 of 99

Jump to: