Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shanahan Extension On The Way?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BuckleyBoy


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 8839
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
BuckleyBoy wrote:
in the even Kyle does leave next year I wouldn't be surprised to see LaFleur or McVay take the OC job
I'd give it to LaFleur for sure even though I'm not too fond of the French! Laughing I think he's been as instrumental in Matt Schaub and RG3 developments as Kyle has been, seeing as he was and is their position coach.


From what I remember both McVay and LaFleur have some say in the gameplan each week, but I could be wrong on that
_________________


kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3836
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckleyBoy wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
BuckleyBoy wrote:
in the even Kyle does leave next year I wouldn't be surprised to see LaFleur or McVay take the OC job
I'd give it to LaFleur for sure even though I'm not too fond of the French! Laughing I think he's been as instrumental in Matt Schaub and RG3 developments as Kyle has been, seeing as he was and is their position coach.


From what I remember both McVay and LaFleur have some say in the gameplan each week, but I could be wrong on that


Semi-interesting piece on Kyle adapting his dad's Offense to fit RG3,

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113501/article/kyle-shanahan-on-coaching-fast-track-with-redskins-malleability

Cooley:
Quote:
'When I got back, it was a new offense," Cooley recounted recently. "The learning curve for me was drastic. I missed seven games. The last game I didn't play was against the Giants. I watch all the games and I'm in tune to what we're doing, [but] I couldn't have called a third of the plays in that game. I couldn't have told you what they were, what the responsibilities were. The way they'd grown from Week 1 to Week 7 was unreal."


Also Kubiak on Lafleur, From WR'S coach to :
Quote:
"Basically, Kyle and I gained so much confidence in him, we had him do a lot of work with our quarterbacks," said Kubiak. "He just grew on us, kept doing a great job. Our quarterbacks gained a lot of confidence in him. His specialty was working with our backup quarterbacks, our second and third. And he just did a hell of a job."


http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/kyle-shanahan/in-lafleur-redskins-have-coach.html

Also:
Quote:
Though both Mike and Kyle Shanahan are expected to work intimately with the Redskins' quarterbacks this season, it will be LaFleur who's technically in charge of...(misprint)or possibly a rookie
Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FosterTheSkins


Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 487
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
No. He's had one good second half of a season compared to 2.5 terrible seasons punctuated by some truly awful personnel moves.

He can get one next season when he proves It wasn't a fluke.


Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that. I'd feel a little bit better if talks for a contract extensions happened next year. If Mikey makes a deep playoff run this year then yes. Make a go of extending him now. If the Skins get bounced Sun then see what he does next year.
_________________
All the other Ds with the pumped up scheme
Better run better run outrun my QB
All the other Ds with the pumped up scheme
Better run better run faster than RG3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FosterTheSkins wrote:
Slateman wrote:
No. He's had one good second half of a season compared to 2.5 terrible seasons punctuated by some truly awful personnel moves.

He can get one next season when he proves It wasn't a fluke.


Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that. I'd feel a little bit better if talks for a contract extensions happened next year. If Mikey makes a deep playoff run this year then yes. Make a go of extending him now. If the Skins get bounced Sun then see what he does next year.
i think the same. Just saying! Wink

And. Great quotes there and articles about LaFleur Dcred. I already would be comfortable with him if Kyle were gone, but that puts proof to what I just believed was true before.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3836
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:
Slateman wrote:
No. He's had one good second half of a season compared to 2.5 terrible seasons punctuated by some truly awful personnel moves.

He can get one next season when he proves It wasn't a fluke.


Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that. I'd feel a little bit better if talks for a contract extensions happened next year. If Mikey makes a deep playoff run this year then yes. Make a go of extending him now. If the Skins get bounced Sun then see what he does next year.
i think the same. Just saying! Wink

And. Great quotes there and articles about LaFleur Dcred. I already would be comfortable with him if Kyle were gone, but that puts proof to what I just believed was true before.


Well here's more on Kyle and Matt : LaFleur on KS:
Quote:
When I first got to Houston, You're thinking, a guy that's similar to your age he can't know that much more than you-- and I was Shocked at the wealth of knowledge he had at such a young age and I knew that this is definitely a guy I want to learn from


Understand LaFleur worked with the BACKUPS in Houston and Kyle has been credited with Shaub's rise, but there might not be anyone better for LaFleur to learn from than a guy around his age that knows as much as Kyle.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/kyle-shanahan/kyle-shanahan-former-pupil-mat.html

Schaub on KS:
Quote:
He was a big part of helping me just develop as a quarterback in this league and the leader of this offense. So he definitely helped me out a ton."


Certainly working for Kubiak, Kyle, and Mike has got to have helped him immensely as he looks to take on more responsibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dashing


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3730
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
No. He's had one good second half of a season compared to 2.5 terrible seasons punctuated by some truly awful personnel moves.

He can get one next season when he proves it wasn't a fluke.


smartest post in here . Keep fire lid on Shanny and if he does it again or another winning record period than extend .


Lets be smart boys .
_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXTNES_L3s0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJ8_uNMM_I&list=LLRM2s0GoIPWV7foTBLfFMRw&feature=mh_lolz
^^^^I like to I like to I like to ^_^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGreeK1973


Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 408
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so happy when Mike accepted the offer to coach our team. Finally we had a coach since Joe Gibbs that is no non sense, and Synder was going to keep his paws of the team's decisions.

He is the only guy to rob Gibbs on a trade Very Happy

We gave up a 2nd round pick and Bailey for Portis. It hurts to this day as Bailey has been stellar year after year for Denver and we still have not found even remotely a worthy replacement.

Hell Mike picked up Morris in the 6th round who rushed for more yards in his rookie year than Portis.

I really hope Kyle takes the wheel when his dad decides to retire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
I was so happy when Mike accepted the offer to coach our team. Finally we had a coach since Joe Gibbs that is no non sense, and Synder was going to keep his paws of the team's decisions.

He is the only guy to rob Gibbs on a trade Very Happy

We gave up a 2nd round pick and Bailey for Portis. It hurts to this day as Bailey has been stellar year after year for Denver and we still have not found even remotely a worthy replacement.

Hell Mike picked up Morris in the 6th round who rushed for more yards in his rookie year than Portis.

I really hope Kyle takes the wheel when his dad decides to retire.
shawn springs wasn't quite as great as Bailey, but he was close. I feel
springs was a good replacement for bailey during his time here. Problem is, after him we chose the wrong guy to re-sign in free agency. We re-signed DHall instead of throwing that $ at a much better cb in Carlos Rogers.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21


Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 4302
Location: West Palm Beach
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
I was so happy when Mike accepted the offer to coach our team. Finally we had a coach since Joe Gibbs that is no non sense, and Synder was going to keep his paws of the team's decisions.

He is the only guy to rob Gibbs on a trade Very Happy

We gave up a 2nd round pick and Bailey for Portis. It hurts to this day as Bailey has been stellar year after year for Denver and we still have not found even remotely a worthy replacement.

Hell Mike picked up Morris in the 6th round who rushed for more yards in his rookie year than Portis.

I really hope Kyle takes the wheel when his dad decides to retire.
shawn springs wasn't quite as great as Bailey, but he was close. I feel
springs was a good replacement for bailey during his time here. Problem is, after him we chose the wrong guy to re-sign in free agency. We re-signed DHall instead of throwing that $ at a much better cb in Carlos Rogers.

Rogers didn't wanna be here,also if he would have stayed he'd likely not had laser eye surgery therefore wouldn't be much help. Although I am a huge Carlos fan and would prefer we keep our own.
_________________

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
I was so happy when Mike accepted the offer to coach our team. Finally we had a coach since Joe Gibbs that is no non sense, and Synder was going to keep his paws of the team's decisions.

He is the only guy to rob Gibbs on a trade Very Happy

We gave up a 2nd round pick and Bailey for Portis. It hurts to this day as Bailey has been stellar year after year for Denver and we still have not found even remotely a worthy replacement.

Hell Mike picked up Morris in the 6th round who rushed for more yards in his rookie year than Portis.

I really hope Kyle takes the wheel when his dad decides to retire.
shawn springs wasn't quite as great as Bailey, but he was close. I feel
springs was a good replacement for bailey during his time here. Problem is, after him we chose the wrong guy to re-sign in free agency. We re-signed DHall instead of throwing that $ at a much better cb in Carlos Rogers.

Rogers didn't wanna be here,also if he would have stayed he'd likely not had laser eye surgery therefore wouldn't be much help. Although I am a huge Carlos fan and would prefer we keep our own.
Rogers would have stayed if we offered him the contract that we gave to the lesser cb DeAngelo Hall. That's my point.

He would have had the laser eye surgery if our training staff was worth a damn and realized that was his problem years ago.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3836
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
I was so happy when Mike accepted the offer to coach our team. Finally we had a coach since Joe Gibbs that is no non sense, and Synder was going to keep his paws of the team's decisions.

He is the only guy to rob Gibbs on a trade Very Happy

We gave up a 2nd round pick and Bailey for Portis. It hurts to this day as Bailey has been stellar year after year for Denver and we still have not found even remotely a worthy replacement.

Hell Mike picked up Morris in the 6th round who rushed for more yards in his rookie year than Portis.

I really hope Kyle takes the wheel when his dad decides to retire.
shawn springs wasn't quite as great as Bailey, but he was close. I feel
springs was a good replacement for bailey during his time here. Problem is, after him we chose the wrong guy to re-sign in free agency. We re-signed DHall instead of throwing that $ at a much better cb in Carlos Rogers.

Rogers didn't wanna be here,also if he would have stayed he'd likely not had laser eye surgery therefore wouldn't be much help. Although I am a huge Carlos fan and would prefer we keep our own.
Rogers would have stayed if we offered him the contract that we gave to the lesser cb DeAngelo Hall. That's my point.

He would have had the laser eye surgery if our training staff was worth a damn and realized that was his problem years ago.


Playing "would have" again? Ok. If he stayed it would have been solely for the wrong reason (money). You are underestimating how unhappy Rogers was here. He hated our ownership and staff. He got a fresh start in SF and that is what sparked his transformation.

There is NO GUARANTEE that he turns himself around. No guarantees that he is not a distraction while here and doesn't ruin the locker room that they have put together.
Remember, Shanahan removing players who didn't want to buy in was part of the purge. I believe that was as big a part of the decision as a talent evaluation or comparison with Hall.

Back to the topic, the only reason I see to extend Shanahan is if Kyle leaves. Otherwise, he signed a rich contract and he won't want to go anywhere else when it is up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
I was so happy when Mike accepted the offer to coach our team. Finally we had a coach since Joe Gibbs that is no non sense, and Synder was going to keep his paws of the team's decisions.

He is the only guy to rob Gibbs on a trade Very Happy

We gave up a 2nd round pick and Bailey for Portis. It hurts to this day as Bailey has been stellar year after year for Denver and we still have not found even remotely a worthy replacement.

Hell Mike picked up Morris in the 6th round who rushed for more yards in his rookie year than Portis.

I really hope Kyle takes the wheel when his dad decides to retire.
shawn springs wasn't quite as great as Bailey, but he was close. I feel
springs was a good replacement for bailey during his time here. Problem is, after him we chose the wrong guy to re-sign in free agency. We re-signed DHall instead of throwing that $ at a much better cb in Carlos Rogers.

Rogers didn't wanna be here,also if he would have stayed he'd likely not had laser eye surgery therefore wouldn't be much help. Although I am a huge Carlos fan and would prefer we keep our own.
Rogers would have stayed if we offered him the contract that we gave to the lesser cb DeAngelo Hall. That's my point.

He would have had the laser eye surgery if our training staff was worth a damn and realized that was his problem years ago.


Playing "would have" again? Ok. If he stayed it would have been solely for the wrong reason (money). You are underestimating how unhappy Rogers was here. He hated our ownership and staff. He got a fresh start in SF and that is what sparked his transformation.

There is NO GUARANTEE that he turns himself around. No guarantees that he is not a distraction while here and doesn't ruin the locker room that they have put together.

Remember, Shanahan removing players who didn't want to buy in was part of the purge. I believe that was as big a part of the decision as a talent evaluation or comparison with Hall.

Back to the topic, the only reason I see to extend Shanahan is if Kyle leaves. Otherwise, he signed a rich contract and he won't want to go anywhere else when it is up.
i don't think Rogers was unhappy with mike Shanahan. He didnt like Cerrato and wanted a guarentee that he would be a part of this team. The fresh start was needed because he went through two offseasons where the team and he couldn't come to terms and in those seasons we gave DHall a massive, massive contract that Rogers deserved.

Rogers, is was and always will be a more consistent corner back than Hall.

It's done now, but I believe that if in 2009 or 2010 Rogers was given the deal he deserved instead of that $ going to Hall (who didn't deserve it) this secondary would be better.

As for the getting rid of players part, this is one of the few cases where we didn't keep the right guy. Rogers left Dc and turned out to be a pro bowl cb.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3836
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
i don't think Rogers was unhappy with mike Shanahan. He didnt like Cerrato and wanted a guarentee that he would be a part of this team. The fresh start was needed because he went through two offseasons where the team and he couldn't come to terms and in those seasons we gave DHall a massive, massive contract that Rogers deserved.

Rogers, is was and always will be a more consistent corner back than Hall.

It's done now, but I believe that if in 2009 or 2010 Rogers was given the deal he deserved instead of that $ going to Hall (who didn't deserve it) this secondary would be better.

As for the getting rid of players part, this is one of the few cases where we didn't keep the right guy. Rogers left Dc and turned out to be a pro bowl cb.


BECAUSE Rogers bought into the system. And became a team player.
You just can NOT know that would have happened here. He wasn't getting along with our coaches, and they would have had a huge task bringing that type of play out of him.

It's like saying Minnesota should have kept Randy Moss because he did well in NE, and the Vikings made a mistake letting him go. You see where that logic fails?
I agree Rogers played better when he left, but we just don't know if he would have regressed OR played better HERE. He quite possibly could have taken steps backwards

Anyways, back to the topic. I think we have no reason to extend Shanahan unless Kyle leaves, which I don't see happening next year. Mike signed a rich deal and I agree we should wait until at least after next year. But we may do it anyway. Snyder is going to want him extended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on the mike Shanahan point dcred. On top of that we need to make sure that Shanahan is going to continue to have this team in the playoffs before re-signing him.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to be honest. He could just have this one good year and then flame out. I don't think that will happen, but its always a possibility.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group