Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What's the Rams' biggest need for 2013?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do we need most?
Discipline
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Defensive Coordinator
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Left Guard
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Right Tackle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Strongside Linebacker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wide Receiver
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
Anybody not named Craig Dahl in our backfield
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

DistantRam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: What's the Rams' biggest need for 2013? Reply with quote

The 2012 season saw St Louis improve considerably from the 2-14 record of the previous year. Finishing 7-8-1, the Rams showed that they could be competitive in most games, although it is worrying that the team failed to turn up at all against both New England and the Jets. Still, we could have gone 6-0 within our division with just a little more luck and we are a young team with four first round picks over the next two NFL drafts, so the sky's the limit for this franchise.

The signs are encouraging, then; this franchise should be looking for a push towards the playoffs in 2013. However, to reach the post-season, the Rams need to improve in key areas. Despite not giving up a sack in the last game of 2012 in Seattle, the Rams' offensive line still doesn't inspire total confidence. Are Barry Richardson, Wayne Hunter and Joe Barksdale enough at the RT spot or do we need to find a better starter there? Similarly, do we keep what we have at left guard (with Rokevious Watkins to come back, let's not forget) or do we draft a stud, such as Chance Warmack, at that position?

At this time of year, fans of non-playoff teams naturally start to look towards the draft and the Rams also need to strengthen the wide receiving corps, the safety position and the strongside linebacker spot. Ideally, we'd improve all three (as well as the offensive line) through a combination of free agency and the draft, but which single position is our biggest need?

According to The Football Database, the Rams lead the league in penalties, having accrued 130 of them over the regular season. That's nine more than Baltimore, who lie second in the table. All penalties are costly but we would have won in San Francisco but for a successful Greg Zuerlein field goal being negated due to a delay of game call, to name but one example of a crucial penalty being committed. Our young team needs to improve its discipline, clearly, but is this the single biggest improvement we could make?

Since Gregg Williams was suspended for his part in the Saints' "Bountygate" scandal, the Rams haven't had a true defensive coordinator, with defensive schemes orchestrated instead by a committee comprised of assistant head coach Dave McGinnis, secondary coach Chuck Cecil and linebackers coach (and son of Gregg) Blake Williams. The committee approach seems to be working, with the team finishing 14th overall and 15th in terms of points allowed in the 2012 regular season but how much of this is down to quality coaching as opposed to just having talented players? Even a cursory look through the forum's game day threads will reveal many posters tearing their hair out at our soft coverage. Do we need a dedicated defensive coordinator above all else?

As previously mentioned, in an ideal world we'd address all of these issues and enter 2013 as a championship calibre squad. However, real life seldom works out like that and progress is normally incremental; the aim of this thread is to establish what we, the fans, think is the single change which would make the most difference to this franchise in 2013.

A very happy New Year to you all!
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The penalties have been too costly this year, had we not had all the penalties against Seattle on Sunday the game could have had a much different outcome. We beat ourselves more than anyone else has this year.
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigh Dahl has been too costly all year, giving up big plays. Replacing him immediately upgrades our whole defense.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
ramsfan55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those first two posts are spot on.
Halradio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on both points - Safety was a position the Rams had to roll with this year and was easily the biggest hole on the defensive side of the ball.

As for discipline - penalites have been a problem all year in all phases and have cost this team dearly on more than one occasion.
Wr80

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a good WR not in the draft but in the FA and then replace the [inappropriate/removed] out of Dahl I hate him.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONLY thing I didn't like or understand for Jeff Fisher and his staff is as to why Darian Stewart was Dahl's backup........All year? Confused

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 WR then FS.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ramsfan55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in order Rams needs are.

FS
OT
WR
LG
OLB
SS
D9-EM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discipline is by far the most concerning. If we could cut the penalties in half, I'll bet we're a 10 win team. Seems like there were a lot of QB-Receiver miscommunications as well.

I thought it would be a long season but it was truly exciting. Playoffs would be nice but at least we can say we didn't lose to the 49ers once & we weren't eliminated until week 16. Very Happy
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont necessarily think its discipline per se but more of a youth & experience issue. Its not like there was a bunch of personal foul penalties or anything.

But I would say the top need is Safety without a doubt then a close 2nd is WR. Then OL and LB arent needed as badly but still a need.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion on Rams needs would be:

1. Safety
2. WR
3. OLB
4. More O-line depth

I don't think Fisher is picking a offensive lineman in the first round. I think a athletic OLB would really improve the defense too, a sideline to sideline defender is what we need.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big of a need is outside linebacker? Isn't Rocky Mcintosh and Haggan both free agents? who's going to start on that side next year?
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
How big of a need is outside linebacker? Isn't Rocky Mcintosh and Haggan both free agents? who's going to start on that side next year?

They both will be Free Agents. Fisher doesn't prioritize that position (SLB) considering how much we are in Nickel defense in some games. My hope is that we get a athletic WLB in the draft and move Dunbar to SLB. Make the defense faster and get a LB that can stick with backs and tight ends in the passing game.
maladeen3917

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

They both will be Free Agents. Fisher doesn't prioritize that position (SLB) considering how much we are in Nickel defense in some games. My hope is that we get a athletic WLB in the draft and move Dunbar to SLB. Make the defense faster and get a LB that can stick with backs and tight ends in the passing game.

if im correct he has been so so against backs this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: