Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thaddeus Lewis a fit for Chip Kelly?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vince young maybe? Laughing

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a big misconception that Kelly will want a running QB in the NFL.

There is a team in the NFL using Kelly's offensive concepts, it is the #1 offense in the NFL, and has the least mobile QB since Bernie Kosar. The New England Patriots.

The zone-read option offense is not something that Kelly is beholden to, only something that he uses with his current team to maximize the abilities of his recruits. He is intelligent enough to adapt his offense to the players he will have and the defenses he will face at the NFL level.

That said, Kelly's QBs run less than 10 times a game. I think Thad could handle that, if it came down to it. If Kelly is hired here, I don't expect Lewis to spend any time on the Practice Squad next year, that's for sure.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
I think there's a big misconception that Kelly will want a running QB in the NFL.

There is a team in the NFL using Kelly's offensive concepts, it is the #1 offense in the NFL, and has the least mobile QB since Bernie Kosar. The New England Patriots.

The zone-read option offense is not something that Kelly is beholden to, only something that he uses with his current team to maximize the abilities of his recruits. He is intelligent enough to adapt his offense to the players he will have and the defenses he will face at the NFL level.

That said, Kelly's QBs run less than 10 times a game. I think Thad could handle that, if it came down to it. If Kelly is hired here, I don't expect Lewis to spend any time on the Practice Squad next year, that's for sure.

this, I feel that people think that Kelly's offense is all spread and zone read, when really the basis of his offense is fast paced get the play in and off, its llmore like a constant 2 minute drill

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
I feel that people think that Kelly's offense is all spread and zone read, when really the basis of his offense is fast paced get the play in and off, its llmore like a constant 2 minute drill

Agreed. It's like the anti-Shurmur offense. One word play calls with the freedom of the QB to change the play pre- or post-snap. Multi-faceted play calls that include deep routes, screens and running options.

No more verbal diarrhea play calls like "Flip right, double-X jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X-quarter".

With 1 word, Patriots’ no-huddle an NFL marvel
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are going to hire the top college offensive coach available -- someone who the "best" coach in the NFL has gone to in order to expand his own play book -- but tell him he has to throw out half his play book before he even gets to the first game??? If the Browns hire Kelly he needs to be able to install his COMPLETE offense the way he wants to - and that has obviously included a mobile qb.

Last edited by Dropkick_pride on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
HADEN4PREZIDENT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
I feel that people think that Kelly's offense is all spread and zone read, when really the basis of his offense is fast paced get the play in and off, its llmore like a constant 2 minute drill

Agreed. It's like the anti-Shurmur offense. One word play calls with the freedom of the QB to change the play pre- or post-snap. Multi-faceted play calls that include deep routes, screens and running options.

No more verbal diarrhea play calls like "Flip right, double-X jet, 36 counter, naked waggle, X-7, X-quarter".

With 1 word, Patriots’ no-huddle an NFL marvel

And if you watched Weeden's Gruden QB camp he had a one word offense at Ok St. and when asked about big play calls he didn't seem to pumped. Maybe it's a better fit for him?

^^^Jamison^^^
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see E.J. Manuel in Kelly's system.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:

He sucks so much. Better off with Vince Young honestly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

Why do you say that? He looks like a competent enough QB and has the very limited decision making skills that would allow him to excel in Chip Kelly's system.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

Why do you say that? He looks like a competent enough QB and has the very limited decision making skills that would allow him to excel in Chip Kelly's system.

I've see a few FSU games and hes too erratic. Hes got the perfect build, good arm, decent mobility but theres something missing. I cant quite explain it but I dont think he will be anything great.

I am no draft guru tho so take it for what its worth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Santos only rushed for 386 yards the year he won the Payton Award under Kelly. Doesn't exactly scream super mobile. And Weeden showed he could scoot when he needed to, just can't slide.

Kelly has the ingenuity to use the players at his disposal to the best of their abilities. I'm sure Weeden isn't his ideal QB but I'm betting Kelly could draw up some plays which make our offense put up some impressive numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:

Actually Klien or Tebow would be good for Kelly's system. So would Weeden since the NFL Version of Kelly's offense is being ran in NE.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

Actually Klien or Tebow would be good for Kelly's system. So would Weeden since the NFL Version of Kelly's offense is being ran in NE.

Incorrect: NE incorporated certain aspects of Kelly's offense into Bellichek's offense. They are not running Kelly's offense.

Last edited by Dropkick_pride on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

I've see a few FSU games and hes too erratic. Hes got the perfect build, good arm, decent mobility but theres something missing. I cant quite explain it but I dont think he will be anything great.

I am no draft guru tho so take it for what its worth

Yes I agree. Something missing from him. And he isn't so accurate either. Despite his 60somepercent comp %. Yes I've been fooled before by the Quinn.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Productiondawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden or Lewis will be good enough until Manziel or Bridgewater come out.

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: