Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bears Offseason Decisions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-05/sports/ct-spt-0106-roster-bears-chicago--20130106_1_jay-cutler-franchise-quarterback-bears-roster

Jay Cutler [Extend/Not Extend]

Not Extend: He has not shown enough for me to compete and with a new coach and a new system we can be patient.

Henry Melton [Re-sign/Franchise/Let Walk]

Extend/Franchise: I want to re-sign Melton to a nice 4-5 year deal, but I franchise him if he wants more than 8 million a season or more than 2 guaranteed.

Jason Campbell [Re-sign/Let Walk]

Let Walk: He didn't show anything, he makes too much money and we can find another guy.

Kellen Davis [Release/Keep]

Release: Davis sucks and he makes 2.5 million next season which is a complete waste.

Devin Hester [Release/Keep]

Release: He is a terrible WR and is in a huge slump or decline as a KR and we get 1.8 million by cutting him.

Israel Idonije [Re-sign/Let Walk]

Re-sign: He will stay for cheap and he provides the team with a versatile veteran that can back up in a couple of spots.

Lance Louis [Re-sign/Let Walk]

Re-sign: Louis gets a 4 year deal worth the same money he would have before but with lower guarantees to protect the Bears if he cannot come back 100% from the knee injury.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-05/sports/ct-spt-0106-roster-bears-chicago--20130106_1_jay-cutler-franchise-quarterback-bears-roster

Not Extend: He has not shown enough for me to compete and with a new coach and a new system we can be patient.

Extend/Franchise: I want to re-sign Melton to a nice 4-5 year deal, but I franchise him if he wants more than 8 million a season or more than 2 guaranteed.

Let Walk: He didn't show anything, he makes too much money and we can find another guy.

Release: Davis sucks and he makes 2.5 million next season which is a complete waste.

Release: He is a terrible WR and is in a huge slump or decline as a KR and we get 1.8 million by cutting him.

Re-sign: He will stay for cheap and he provides the team with a versatile veteran that can back up in a couple of spots.

Re-sign: Louis gets a 4 year deal worth the same money he would have before but with lower guarantees to protect the Bears if he cannot come back 100% from the knee injury.

Too many cooks at HH.

Is Emery really making all of these decisions?

How many interviewees for HC will turn the job down if offered? Is he interviewing too many similar people not enough range in his list?

Jay Cutler needs to have input in the decision on HC but by no means should he titlt the scales. Anyone who thinks Cutler is leaving or replaceable is foolish. Extend his contract.

The rest are all housekeeping. If Hester leaves and lands with the Vikings the cooks at HH don't know what they are doing.

This entire process seems so 1991, post Mike Ditka.
abdi7451

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Are you kidding me? Jay Cutler is Pro Bowler and has the potential to be GREAT with the right pieces around him. He is indispensable. I mean c'mon. The guy was drafted '06 and he already has 21,000 yards, 60% completion, and 84.0 passer rating. He's irreplaceable.

A Super Bowl team needs a quarterback. And Jay Cutler is the best decision this organization has made in the past 5 years.

Shoutouts to Delphi on the sig!

Adopt-a-Bear: Matt Blanchard l QB l #4 l P-Squad
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Too many cooks at HH.

Is Emery really making all of these decisions? YES

How many interviewees for HC will turn the job down if offered? NONE Is he interviewing too many similar people not enough range in his list? NO.

Jay Cutler needs to have input in the decision on HC but by no means should he titlt the scales. Cutler is going to have little or no input. Has anyone seen this story - "Cutler and Emery interview blah, blah, blah?" Anyone who thinks Cutler is leaving or replaceable is foolish. Extend his contract. Cutler will not be extended during the season but may stay with the Bears. EVERY player is replaceable.

The rest are all housekeeping. If Hester leaves and lands with the Vikings the cooks at HH don't know what they are doing. He won't and so what if he does. He has not played worth a damn for two years now.

This entire process seems so 1991, post Mike Ditka.
You need to come into the 21st century as the Bears obviously have by getting rid of Smith. There is nothing vaguely similar to 1991. We did not even have a GM then.

Emery is running this team and there is no doubt about that. No reasonable doubt in any case.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

abdi7451 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Are you kidding me? Jay Cutler is Pro Bowler and has the potential to be GREAT with the right pieces around him. He is indispensable. I mean c'mon. The guy was drafted '06 and he already has 21,000 yards, 60% completion, and 84.0 passer rating. He's irreplaceable.

A Super Bowl team needs a quarterback. And Jay Cutler is the best decision this organization has made in the past 5 years.

Everyone knows that Cutler is not a free agent right?

He has 1 year left on his contract. I do not rush to resign him this season let him play next year and resign him next season or franchise tag him.

Cutler is a Bear in 2013.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Add Johnny Knox to your list. If he can run resign him, maybe even resign him for a year if he can't if there is ANY chance of him playing again.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

abdi7451 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Cutler is a Pro Bowler only because the better QBs did not want to play. He has next year to prove he deserves a lengthy new contract so far it is questionable, leaning towards resigning.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Add Johnny Knox to your list. If he can run resign him, maybe even resign him for a year if he can't if there is ANY chance of him playing again.

Dickerson was on the radio and he said that Knox still doesn't look right walking and he would be shocked if a team doctor would ever pass him.

If he is healthy I would love for him back.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Knox should not be expected to play ever again.

Is this a year where you use a draft pick on a QB? It's a pretty deep draft for QBs, Cutler is going into a contract year, new coaching staff, etc.
abdi7451

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

Is this a year where you use a draft pick on a QB? It's a pretty deep draft for QBs, Cutler is going into a contract year, new coaching staff, etc.

How about some tackles and guards?

Shoutouts to Delphi on the sig!

Adopt-a-Bear: Matt Blanchard l QB l #4 l P-Squad
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abdi7451 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

How about some tackles and guards?

Well those always help too.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come into the 21st century? This from Windy City? The attitude at HH is so thick and hasn't change in decades. Hubris combined with entitlement and a toss of incompetency. Cool

Mike Ditka HC 1982-'92 with a W/L 106-62 .631 winning %
Lovie Smith HC 2004-'12 with a W/L 81-63 .563 winning %

Anyone who thinks the current list of candidates has a SB future and decade long winning % must be tossing the B&B into the Irish Mist. Look at how many older candidates (Clements, Treastman) are on the "Emery Board"

This is the era of the quick turn around. The #2 market should expect the Bears to compete fast. So why act stingy to your franchise QB?
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Come into the 21st century? This from Windy City? The attitude at HH is so thick and hasn't change in decades. Hubris combined with entitlement and a toss of incompetency. Cool

Mike Ditka HC 1982-'92 with a W/L 106-62 .631 winning %
Lovie Smith HC 2004-'12 with a W/L 81-63 .563 winning %

Anyone who thinks the current list of candidates has a SB future and decade long winning % must be tossing the B&B into the Irish Mist. Look at how many older candidates (Clements, Treastman) are on the "Emery Board"

This is the era of the quick turn around. The #2 market should expect the Bears to compete fast. So why act stingy to your franchise QB?

1.Who's to say they dont?

2. Who cares if they are old? If they can do the job and get us to where we want to be I could care less.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Come into the 21st century? This from Windy City? Don't blame Windy for my opinions - Chicago Al The attitude at HH is so thick and hasn't change in decades. Hubris combined with entitlement and a toss of incompetency. Cool You don't know a damn thing about the "attitude" of Halas Hall other than that of the bricks. This show of "inside" information might fly up in Cheeseland but not around here.

Mike Ditka HC 1982-'92 with a W/L 106-62 .631 winning % You should put it in perspective - Mike Ditka 70% playoff appearances with numerous QBs, one Super Bowl VICTORY.
Lovie Smith HC 2004-'12 with a W/L 81-63 .563 winning % 33% playoff appearances - 16.7% playoff appearances last six years. One Super Bowl LOSS long, long ago.

Anyone who thinks the current list of candidates has a SB future and decade long winning % must be tossing the B&B into the Irish Mist. Look at how many older candidates (Clements, Treastman) are on the "Emery Board". We don't really care about a decade long career. Those are rarities in the NFL unless apathy and favoritism help a coach hang on without making the playoffs. Five years without making the playoffs should get any coach fired unless you are the creature of the GM.

Properly investing your resources is not stinginess but prudence. Emery might have learned a lesson from the big Forte contract.
He clearly is very upset with his use this year and that that was NOT what he was given the money for.
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bears Offseason Decisions Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

1. Jay Cutler [Extend/Not Extend]

2. Henry Melton [Re-sign/Franchise/Let Walk]

3. Jason Campbell [Re-sign/Let Walk]

4. Kellen Davis [Release/Keep]

5. Devin Hester [Release/Keep]

6. Israel Idonije [Re-sign/Let Walk]

7. Lance Louis [Re-sign/Let Walk]

1. Cutler said this year he would give the Bears a hometown discount and since he hasn't been throwing 30 TDs a year, I'd say sign him now. This is likely the cheapest he wil ever be. If he goes into next year and explodes he'll be so expensive that even Clif Stein won't be able to structure his deal to favor the Bears.

2. Re-sign Melton without a doubt, even if it means using the tag on him. However, if the new coach does convince Emery that a 3-4 d is better, then tag him and trade him for more picks. Whoever still runs a C2/T2 defense (Tampa? Indy?) would love him and would likely give up multiple picks for him. But assuming were still running the same D next year, he is prolly the most valuable guy on that side of the ball and must be retained.

3. Cambell...ehh. I couldn't care less about him. He sucked this year, but how much can you really expect from a backup quarterback? They're not starting for a reason.

4. Lol Kellen Davis....my dog would catch more balls than him.

5. I'd like to keep Hester and completely remove him from WR and have him strictly focus on returns. He didn't do anything as a return man several years ago when he was a WR, when they took him off of that he regained his returning skill.

6. Izzy has been very loyal to the team taking cheap, 1- and 2-year deals. So to reward him for his loyalty let's re-sign him to a 1-year deal at a cheap cost. Solid veteran player who the team loves, keep him here until he's completely ineffective.

7. Sign him now while you can. He was playing real well before his injury, if he keeps that up next year he could cost a lot more money next offseason.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: