Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who Would You Franchise Tag : Kennan Lewis or Mike Wallace?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Wallace vs. Lewis : Who do you choose?
Mike Wallace
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Kennan Lewis
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Neither - And take your chances on signing both without a tag
50%
 50%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 24

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Who Would You Franchise Tag : Kennan Lewis or Mike Wallace? Reply with quote

I was listening to The Fan today and they were talking about the problem arising with keeping Wallace and / or Lewis. Lewis had a tremendous year and showed (to me) that he's a legit CB. Not only that, but so did Cortez Allen.

Here's something to consider - both would require $10 million to tag. However, a deal would negate that issue; technically. Let's consider the following

Legitimate cornerbacks are hard to come by anymore. With the rule changes in recent years, it's very hard to play the CB position at a consistent level without having to draw penalties. Lewis is not suddenly an elite CB, nor would I consider hailing him as such; but his play this season defined a legitimate lockdown cornerback. Lewis lacked turnovers (just one turnover, a forced fumble) all season, but his 54 tackles were amongst the best of all CB's in the NFL, along with his 23 defended passes. That number is one pass off the NFL lead of 24, by Seattle's Richard Sherman.

On the other hand, you have yourself an extremely fast WR. Finding a WR of his speed isn't something you teach. Being able to use that and gain separation is another thing; which Wallace can usually do well. His ability to pick up on routes pretty well and usually displays good hands. While Wallace may have had a "bad" season this year, he still managed to have 8 touchdowns; which is one score short of being in the top-10 in the entire NFL. Wallace has shown time and time again he has the ability to make a play happen at any time, whether it's teams deep like in 2011, where he broke an NFL-record for most 20+ yard touchdowns; or catching short-route passes and taking them to the house, like against the Giants this year. Wallace's career average per season right now are 59 catches, over 1,000 yards, and 8 touchdowns; something very few players can say they've also accomplished.

So I ask you, if the situations arrives; who do you pick? The Steelers defense usually depends on an aggressive and legendary pass-rush to make the lives easy of the defensive backs. Despite missing Troy Polamalu and the pass rush, Lewis shown up every game of the year as a legitimate #1 corner. However, you've also got to wonder about Mike Wallace. Despite his "bad" season and off-season issues, he came to play and has indicated he wants to stay in Pittsburgh by all costs. Even with his poor play, he was still more productive than the majority of the offensive weapons in the NFL; just imagine him as a ready, focused, contracted WR.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. I'd sign Lewis without tag.

...you have a forum resume?
stillersenat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While neither are worth it, Lewis is coming off of his only good year. It was a great year and great CBs are rare, but it was only one year. Look at Mcfadden if you have any doubts about where I'm coming from on this issue. Lewis won't be tagged. He'll get a fair deal with us, probably 5 million per or something like that.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
miamisteeler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace disapointed this season but I think he still merits an offer from the Steelers and hopefully he likes it in Pittsburgh and chooses to take less to stay in a place he knows he can win at.

Keenan Lewis looked good this season and with that being said I wouldn't use the tag on him just yet. I would try to negotiate with him and see what happens. We still have Ike and Cortez under contract for next season so it wouldnt be the end of the world if Lewis walked. Wallace would probably be much harder to replace (production wise). Think about our offense this past season without Wallace. Scary huh?
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
While neither are worth it, Lewis is coming off of his only good year. It was a great year and great CBs are rare, but it was only one year. Look at Mcfadden if you have any doubts about where I'm coming from on this issue. Lewis won't be tagged. He'll get a fair deal with us, probably 5 million per or something like that.

Excellent point!

I say take our chances on both. Love what Wallace brings, but he's not worth putting our team in cap hell. He's not even a top 10 WR at this point, IMO, so why pay him as one.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try to pay Keenan around 3 years 15 million with most the money on the backend. Franchise tag on either seems unwise.
kilgannon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Neither. I'd sign Lewis without tag.

Completely agree
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to sign one of them without tag...

Lewis is one of the top FA CBs available...he's getting paid.

5-6 year deal $30-40 mill with somewhere in the teens guaranteed is probable.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
rollins

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not franchise either one. Neither of them are worth that. I would like to sign one of them back. Here are the factors for me if I was making the decision on which one:

Wallace is the better player, but not as much as people might think

Lewis will come at probably half the price

Good CBs are much harder to find than good WRs

I hate Wallace's attitude and effort this year and don't want to reward it

The last thing is our Defense is about to go through some major changes over the next year or two no need to add another change.

So for me its not that close, Lewis is the guy.
So for me its Lewis, I think he has earned it
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season"'
GreasyApples

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is I'll be pissed if both of them leave for FA

Props to mike23md!
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
'Keenan Lewis plans to test free agency. He told #Steelers "they made a mistake" by not offering multi-year deal before 2012 season"'

Looks like he gets the 10 million dollar tag.... Hopefully he'll change his mind when he gets a nice deal.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:

Thats the only thing that scares me about Lewis.

He isnt the first contract year wonder...the question is will he keep playing that way if we sign him long term.

And if thats true, and he's being a bitter little baby, Id let him walk. What...we're supposed to give you a multi year deal when you are simply playing like an average backup? Please. We dont need that type of negativity on this team.
superbelt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franchise neither. I would try to sign them both. But Lewis hasn't earned a big contract with one year starting (very well, but before this he was horrible).

We have Ike, who is still better. And Cortez, who has proven to also be starting quality, and a takeaway machine.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Thats the only thing that scares me about Lewis.

He isnt the first contract year wonder...the question is will he keep playing that way if we sign him long term.

And if thats true, and he's being a bitter little baby, Id let him walk. What...we're supposed to give you a multi year deal when you are simply playing like an average backup? Please. We dont need that type of negativity on this team.

Based on past experiences, I wouldn't bet my money what Keenan will do. He has made some questionable, illogical moves in the past, so I wont put nothing past him. He had an excellent year, but we should backend a deal for him with incentives, just like we should do with Dwyer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: