Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lovie Smith "very interested" in Cardinals, Bills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I am happy we are at least interviewing him, for a guy that publicly came out and said he think he'd do well here and he's been a successful HC. If we didn't even give him the time of day? I would have been upset. my short list goes like this.

1) Lovie
2) Whiz
3) Mccoy
4) Marrone
No Chip Kelly?

No NFL experience, No thanks.
Jim Harbaugh says hello.

Jim played for many teams in the NFL and was the Raiders QB coach in 02 and 03. Kelly has none of that.
You cant compare playing and coaching. 2 totally different things. Also, Harbaugh was a QB coach for the raiders for 2 years. Chip Kelly would be a good HC. Is he my 1st or even 2nd choice? No. But The fact that he doesnt have any NFL experiance means nothing to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
Everyone is talking about Chip Kelly I was thinking is he really the risk you want to take. If you look he hasn't even coached at the NFL level before which makes me nervous about the bills hiring him. Does he have the smarts to be able to change his play calling if NFL learns how to stop his offense? So far not many teams in college can but in the pros defenses are bigger, stronger and faster. I think this is a high risk but could be a high reward where if Lovie Smith is coach I dont see a big risk but I dont know if he could bring the bills to the top level of where they should be offensively. His defense is solid but he cant find an offensive coor to come to bears let alone to buffalo
Ok. So with your opinion on both Lovie and Chip, who do you want to be the HC?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
I am happy we are at least interviewing him, for a guy that publicly came out and said he think he'd do well here and he's been a successful HC. If we didn't even give him the time of day? I would have been upset. my short list goes like this.

1) Lovie
2) Whiz
3) Mccoy
4) Marrone
No Chip Kelly?

No NFL experience, No thanks.
Jim Harbaugh says hello.

Jim played for many teams in the NFL and was the Raiders QB coach in 02 and 03. Kelly has none of that.
You cant compare playing and coaching. 2 totally different things. Also, Harbaugh was a QB coach for the raiders for 2 years. Chip Kelly would be a good HC. Is he my 1st or even 2nd choice? No. But The fact that he doesnt have any NFL experiance means nothing to me.

You can definitely compare coaching and playing, not to mention Jim comes from an NFL bloodline. Kelly may be a good HC but with no track record to show it at this level it isn't a chance the Bills should take, see Spurrier, Petrino and Nick Saban. Great college coaches hold no water in the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip pros are that he has a high performance offense and he could bring in a solid DC, not sure who though and what ties he has to any in the NFL.
Cons are he never coached at the NFL level which his experience is very slim which puts him at a risk. Another con is his track record with an organization University of Oregon. He was quiet about getting hired with Tampa Bay last year and then bailed back to Oregon and now there are talks about him leaving and going to the NFL however he never talks about it with the school. Will this happen if he is coach of the Bills? Would he bail to go back to the college level like saban? Will his offense work in the nfl and is he creative enough to change it if other coaches figure it out? Questions that can hurt the organization.

Lovie, pros he has the experience and he knows how to utilize the defensive players and bring the best of them out, plus his staff would work well on defense and special teams.
Cons he has no clue when it comes to hiring an OC and handling that side of the ball. Can the bills front office bring in an OC and turn him into a talented team on both sides of the ball?

Them and Zimmer are my top 3 candidates. Horton would be my next guy i think he has the coaching ability to be good but I think he might need one more year to be able to move up to HC. Whisenhunt i am not a fan of and think he is overrated. Haslett no thank you he hasnt done anything to prove that he is a good DC let alone a good HC. Mccoy yes he was able to make Tebow look good last year and he has manning this year. But I truly think he isnt special, that defense carried a majority of those wins for them and kept the offense in the game to come back and win. Manning runs the show this year and as per example a good QB can make a team that much better look at the colts last year manning was out and they were in dead last and the coaching was the same as the year before when he was playing. Andy Reid would be up there but he is looking to sign with KC.

Thanks Max
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
I'm warming up to this idea but Bill O'Brien is still my first choice.
Please hire Smith. O'Brien won't leave PSU for the Bills job.

You will regret hiring Smith but it will save the Bears some money so I am all for it.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone hiring him after they hire his answer to "How would you build an offense?" and he says "A what?"
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
Like I said in the Lovie thread on the News board, Lovie could be a perfect fit for this team. I can see why us and the Cardinals would be of interest to him. Both have young defenses with some really good players on that side of the ball and under a defensive mind like Smith, he could get the best out of the defense and push it to the next level and possibly an elite level.

Hester's retirement threat speaks loudly to me. Smith is obviously very respected and the thing Buffalo needs in a coach most is a strong mentality and someone who is well-respected and can make his players play hard for him. I like him because he's got playoff experience and has reached the Super Bowl so despite missing the playoffs five of the last six years, he still missed this year with a 10-6 record and has a winning pedigree for the most part; 81-63 record in nine seasons.

Having players like Mario, Kyle, Dareus, Gilmore, and Byrd on defense could be very attractive to him after years of working with Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, Hillman, and Jennings.

Bring him in Buddy.
If you are willing to put up with winning every other year, second half of the year collapses, an inability to beat good teams and an offense that can't get out of its own way, Smith is perfect for you.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
I wuldnt mind Lovie but isnt his defense a 3-4? No. If so I am not really going to be thrilled about a change to that since the 4-3 is the better formation with this group of players. Changing them is only going to set them back an extra year or 2
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Bills just announced that we have interviewed Marrone, Kelly, and Lovie Smith today. Productive day!
I just hope we took our time with the interviews. Remember, "we cannot leave any stone unturned" -Russ Brandon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
If you are willing to put up with winning every other year, second half of the year collapses, an inability to beat good teams and an offense that can't get out of its own way, Smith is perfect for you.

That would be 5 times per decade more than we're used to.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChicagoAl"]
BrettFavre4 wrote:
Like I said in the Lovie thread on the News board, Lovie could be a perfect fit for this team. I can see why us and the Cardinals would be of interest to him. Both have young defenses with some really good players on that side of the ball and under a defensive mind like Smith, he could get the best out of the defense and push it to the next level and possibly an elite level.

Hester's retirement threat speaks loudly to me. Smith is obviously very respected and the thing Buffalo needs in a coach most is a strong mentality and someone who is well-respected and can make his players play hard for him. I like him because he's got playoff experience and has reached the Super Bowl so despite missing the playoffs five of the last six years, he still missed this year with a 10-6 record and has a winning pedigree for the most part; 81-63 record in nine seasons.

Having players like Mario, Kyle, Dareus, Gilmore, and Byrd on defense could be very attractive to him after years of working with Urlacher, Briggs, Peppers, Hillman, and Jennings.

Bring him in Buddy.[/quote]If you are willing to put up with winning every other year, second half of the year collapses, an inability to beat good teams and an offense that can't get out of its own way, Smith is perfect for you.

Every other year? We can't win ever 4 years. Every other year would be amazing to me.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Thelonebillsfan"]
ChicagoAl wrote:
BrettFavre4 wrote:

Bring him in Buddy.[/quote]If you are willing to put up with winning every other year, second half of the year collapses, an inability to beat good teams and an offense that can't get out of its own way, Smith is perfect for you.

Every other year? We can't win ever 4 years. Every other year would be amazing to me.
Pay no mind to Al, he has had an axe to grind against Lovie Smith for years. He's said so far this year: "Bears lost that game when they deferred" "Bears D has fallen and can't get up" (keep in mind the next three weeks the D allowed 7, 14, & 6 points) "Lovie Smith is a clown" "Lovie Smith was done after the 2nd minny game" (we had 3 games to go, won 2 of em).

Lovie is a great coach, 3rd winningest coach in the oldest football franchise on the planet, and I have no problem saying it and I don't care if anybody agrees w/ me or not, the best coach the Bears have ever had. Here's hoping your GM is smart.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say that Lovie's greatest attribute, IMO, is to set up an environment where every defensive player plays as hard as possible to the whistle on every play (with aid from his staff of course). If the Buffalo defense underachieved because of effort (and I don't know if that's the case), Lovie might be a great fit.
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if any of you guys have a twitter account, blow up Russ Brandon's account and tell him who you want! (Assuming the fan favorite is Lovie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: