Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lynn Dickey (tell me about him)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dickey was a guy who drove Packer fans nuts. He was wildly inconsistent. When he was hot, he was up there with the best QBs in the league. When he was cold he was a turnover machine.

Towards the end of the Bart Starr era the Packers offense was clicking at a very high level and Dickey was at the center of that, the problem was the defense was just DREADFUL. If Starr even had an okay defense the Packers would've been contenders.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
I Am Rodgers wrote:
We traded MD Jennings for Julius Peppers. TT DA WHITE WIZARD
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Dickey was a guy who drove Packer fans nuts. He was wildly inconsistent. When he was hot, he was up there with the best QBs in the league. When he was cold he was a turnover machine.

Towards the end of the Bart Starr era the Packers offense was clicking at a very high level and Dickey was at the center of that, the problem was the defense was just DREADFUL. If Starr even had an okay defense the Packers would've been contenders.

I always wonder what he could have done had he been surrounded by better talent besides our WRs and TEs. Too bad he was so immobile cuz he got hammered back there a lot. But he could indeed throw the ball well.

I was at the MNF game against the 'Skins on MNF back in 1983. Talk about fast break football! Nobody's D showed up that night. Laughing

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/mnf/s/classic/1983wasgnb.html

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
daintrain28 wrote:

I always wonder what he could have done had he been surrounded by better talent besides our WRs and TEs. Too bad he was so immobile cuz he got hammered back there a lot. But he could indeed throw the ball well.

I was at the MNF game against the 'Skins on MNF back in 1983. Talk about fast break football! Nobody's D showed up that night. Laughing

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/mnf/s/classic/1983wasgnb.html

I was watching the NFL Network's Top 10 QB duals and that was on there Charlie Casserly said the Skins defense was called "Pearl Harbor" because it was bombs away!

Certainly was that night...

I Am Rodgers wrote:
perrynoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory is correct (you know us really, really old guys have memory problems!) I remember a game against the Rams (I think it was the Rams) in which the Packers fell behind 28-0 by halftime. Dickey came out and led the Packers to 5 consecutive scoring drives to start the second half, and the Packers won 35-28. It's unfortunate the Packers didn't have a better o-line back then; when Dickey had time he was an absolute beast of a passer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Dickey
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
If my memory is correct (you know us really, really old guys have memory problems!) I remember a game against the Rams (I think it was the Rams) in which the Packers fell behind 28-0 by halftime. Dickey came out and led the Packers to 5 consecutive scoring drives to start the second half, and the Packers won 35-28. It's unfortunate the Packers didn't have a better o-line back then; when Dickey had time he was an absolute beast of a passer.

Was his line the issue? Cause I always heard it was the defense, no?

Although his predecessor - Randy Wright - was doomed to the infamous "look out Randy" blocks. So who knows...

I Am Rodgers wrote:
perrynoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
perrynoid wrote:

Although his predecessor - Randy Wright - was doomed to the infamous "look out Randy" blocks. So who knows...

Goodness, it was so long ago I have difficulty remembering! The defense wasn't that good, his line was suspect, he had no mobility to speak of. But he could get hot and light it up with the weapons he had (Lofton, Coffman, Jefferson).
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line was ok when healthy, was just rarely healthy.

The defense would have been decent if healthy, they were never a healthy unit and they were not nearly talented enough to play with 2nd stringers. They did a lot under Starr.
GalenaPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Dickey would have been up there with Starr, Favre, Rodgers (ie, the best) if he had had some wheels. The man could not move. And with the Oline he had most of the time, movement was necessary. Crying or Very sad
I don't know about the league being populated with thugs, but the rules and the way the game was played were certainly different than now.
And yes, Green Bay had a problem attracting talent. The physically gifted players we did get were overshadowed by the jackasses that seemed to thrive on breaking the law. Sad times indeed.
duxrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that he held the NFL record for most consecutive completions for a while too. Plus...he was the QB during the infamous
Snow Bowl between GB and Tampa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe433InyTpg

Pretty sure Steve Youngs worst day as a pro...but a REALLY fun game to watch !!
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duxrule wrote:
I'm pretty sure that he held the NFL record for most consecutive completions for a while too. Plus...he was the QB during the infamous

My favorite Packer game of all time, and I was there. It was an amazing game.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
duxrule wrote:

I was too! I'll never forget walking thru the turnstiles with unused tickets all over the ground! If you could get to Lambeau that day you could have gotten in for free. I also remember watching guys using cardboard boxes as toboggans sliding down the aisles in the north end zone during the second half of the game! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
perrynoid wrote:

Not to sound "old" or anything, but I hope you young-ins can appreciate modern technology! Back when I watched Lynn Dickey play, we could only get TWO, yes TWO stations in Dresbach, MN where I grew up.

One was channel 8 in La Crosse (CBS) and the other was channel 13 (NBC) from Eau Claire. Although the TV tower for channel 19 (ABC) was ony a few miles from my house, its transmissions were blocked by the hills and we could not get very good reception.
mightybk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[MOD EDIT]
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
duxrule wrote:

I was too! I'll never forget walking thru the turnstiles with unused tickets all over the ground! If you could get to Lambeau that day you could have gotten in for free. I also remember watching guys using cardboard boxes as toboggans sliding down the aisles in the north end zone during the second half of the game! Laughing

LOL. That is a great story Pugger.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightybk wrote:
[MOD EDIT]

Consider this a warning.

Quote:
1. Do not post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs.

I suggest you brush up on forum rules. Posts like that are not tolerated.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: