Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lynn Dickey (tell me about him)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Lynn Dickey (tell me about him) Reply with quote

I was born in 93 so..yeah.
Someone sent me a link to a stat that said passing yard leaders have never won a Super Bowl (0-47).
Packers on the list:
Favre (1998) 4,212
Favre (1995) 4,413
Majkowski (1989) 4,318
Dickey (1983) 4,458

Flash facts:
Packers are one of three teams with two different passing leaders in a decade (Chargers John Hadl, Dan Fouts~Raiders Jeff George, Rich Gannon.)
Packer have the 2nd shortest span between different passing yard leaders (Favre, Majkowski were 6 years apart, Chargers were 8 years apart, Raider were 5 years apart.)
Packers are the only team with three in that short of a span (Dickey to Favre was 15 years apart~Chargers Hadl, Fout, Phillip Rivers were 42 years apart~Raiders Daryle Lamonica, George, Gannon were 33 years apart)

The year before Lynn Dickey threw for 4,458 yards (1983) Dan Fouts lead the league in passing yards with 2,883 (1982)....

Can someone school me up on Lynn Dickey?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
xDD80x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynn Dickey (tell me about him) Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Someone sent me a link to a stat that said passing yard leaders have never won a Super Bowl (0-47).

This is why rate stats like YPA are so much better than cumulative stats like total yards.

Seems like if you're going to lead the league in passing yards your defense could probably be a lot better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynn Dickey (tell me about him) Reply with quote

xDD80x wrote:
justo wrote:

This is why rate stats like YPA are so much better than cumulative stats like total yards.

Seems like if you're going to lead the league in passing yards your defense could probably be a lot better.
Yeah, Jeff George's team was 4-12. Five of the top ten season leaders didn't even get into the playoffs the year they lead the league in yards.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dickey ran some pretty fun Packer offense in the early 80's. He couldn't move a lick though ... Suffered a badly broken leg early in his career, and was basically a sitting duck after that. He sufferered a lot of sacks, and was hurt often. The Packers had some nice receiving talent at the time .. James Lofton, John Jefferson, and TE Paul Coffman. As good as they were at times on offense they were equally as bad on offense. I think they had three straight 8-8 seasons during those days.
Willink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before my time but I've seen a lot of 80's Packers games. Dickey was a good QB

him + Lofton + Jefferson + Coffman was awesome

the Redskins game is amazing if you can find anyone who has it recorded

defense had some nice parts in the 80s but never put together the sort of quality seasons you'd expect.

some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tArhr0ajOxA&feature=player_detailpage#t=187s

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
40Year Pack Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong arm....Very poor mobility.....Looked like David Koresh.....'Nuff said.....
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many pointed out, was a sitting duck when he dropped back. Was an extremely talented and accurate QB, made all the throws. The WRs mentioned, plus Epps! were very good. No running game and poor oline play (lots of injuries) slowed the offense at times. The defensive pieces were there but were always hurt too. Injuries really wrecked what could have been some interesting Packer teams back then. After Dickey the Pack was horrible until Virginia Majik and #4 came to town.
Willink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrSteR_2xos

wooooo

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhq3u9f8YZ8

good read on the Odom story too, due was FAST

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/all-grown-up-2g5vhci-161512665.html

Quote:

Last edited by Willink on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattlock76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember him. I was old enough to see what he had to offer, yet too young to really know what it was. I remember the strike shortened season in 82'. A couple of things I DO remember were that Lynn Dickey had by far the sweetest long ball that I have ever seen. Another thing I remember was how disappointed my grandfather was when Mossy Cade got arrested for beating his girlfriend. Those were mixed days as a Packer fan, we had James Lofton, who was a true All-Pro, but he also had a hard time acting appropriately when it came to women as well. We also had Paul Ott Caruth, whom was the last white boy to ever play halfback for Alabama, look it up. He was fun to watch though Smile

The bottom line was that Starr had a lot on his hands, Dickey was a good QB, but the league was full of thugs at that time and we had a hard time attracting anything beyond guys that should have been in jail, due to the small market and the small town. I could rattle off twenty players that would have never sniffed the NFL if it wasn't for the fact that Starr had a team and someone had to play for him.

Ya'll have no idea how much revenue sharing has changed the NFL...
"How must I prepare myself? Should I jump off the tallest building in the world? Should I lie in the lawn and let it run over me with lawnmowers? Should I go to Africa and let it trample me with raging elephants?"-The Ultimate Warrior
Willink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattlock76 wrote:
A couple of things I DO remember were that Lynn Dickey had by far the sweetest long ball that I have ever seen.

Dickey was a really pretty passer, yeh. Him, Jeff Blake and Rodgers throw some of the most beautiful deep balls I've ever seen.

Quote:
packerbacker87

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad told me when I was younger that he used to go watch the practices or whatever and that the coaches would set up small car tires on the field and Dickey could throw a football through them from 30 plus yards pretty easily. Very accurate passer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
mattlock76 wrote:
A couple of things I DO remember were that Lynn Dickey had by far the sweetest long ball that I have ever seen.

Dickey was a really pretty passer, yeh. Him, Jeff Blake and Rodgers throw some of the most beautiful deep balls I've ever seen.

I would put RGIII into that discussion. One little flick and it just goes....
"How must I prepare myself? Should I jump off the tallest building in the world? Should I lie in the lawn and let it run over me with lawnmowers? Should I go to Africa and let it trample me with raging elephants?"-The Ultimate Warrior
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mossy Cade story is a little more sordid than that ... dude raped his aunt, and did a few years in jail. Lofton got ran out of town for sexually assaulting a dancer at the strip club. Those were some dark days in Packers history.
mattlock76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[MOD EDIT]

Webby asks you refrain from talking about race.

Webmaster wrote:
8. You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation on these forums. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs.

Thanks,
CW21
mattlock76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaBcC-mGhls

Yep, so there it is... Smile

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: