Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Luke Joeckel with our 1st Pick to solidify the line
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Luke Joeckel with our 1st Pick to solidify the line Reply with quote

(Mods - I know there is a draft thread. Of course, feel free to lock this up if you deem necessary. I didn't want this idea to be buried, and I wanted to stimulate discussion on this issue)

I'm predicting the NFL draft will unfold as follows:

1. Chiefs - Geno Smith
2. Jaguars - Star Lotulelie
3. Raiders -

Since my man crush has just been taken, what if we went Luke Joeckel with our first pick? He compares favorably to Joe Thomas, and one site heralded him as the "Calvin Johnson of left tackles."

I know our defense needs work. But our offensive line didn't play great this year. We could move Veldheer (who has, at times, gotten abused at LT) to RT and bring in Joeckel to play LT.

Our line could look something like:

Joeckel - Wisnewski - Parsons(?) - Brisel - Veldheer

tl;dr I want Star, but if he is taken and we can't trade down, I think that I would rather take Joeckel than one of the DEs. Thoughts?
macklemore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeckel > Star

Trade down should be priority number 1 if we can't trade down I'm taking Joeckel.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top three players are Star, Moore and Joeckel. Any of the three on this team would make us much better and ultimately make me happy.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Darkness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in a great position to trade down with a team wanting to draft Joeckel with the Eagles drafting right behind us.
macklemore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you moved Wisniewski back to LG in the OP, does anyone think Khalif Barnes could play LG? he hasn't played guard in the NFL but I don't think it's that big of a transition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're going to address the offensive line, I'd much rather move back acquire some picks and take Taylor Lewan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
We're in a great position to trade down with a team wanting to draft Joeckel with the Eagles drafting right behind us.

Trading down just makes too much sense, we have holes everywhere, lack depth at every position and don't have a second round pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie trade down multiple times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could have Jim Lachey or Chester McGlockton, I'm wanting Lachey...
Though a big piggie at NT would be great...We might be able to get one in round 3 as they usually slide or are over hyped. If Death Star is the next Ngata it will be hard to pass, however I think he will get picked before us and if a trade down isn't happening, then Joeckel would be my pick. Keeps the QB upright and opens some holes for the RB. Try to sign JV to a long-term contract before the Draft and move him to RT. If he's paid well enough to sign, I doubt he cares what side he's on. If he won't sign then he might want to leave in FA so a LT now would be wise. I also like the idea of getting a C and putting Wisnewski back at G.
A great DE would be tempting, but the info I've seen has them all a bit undersized 'tweeners' and I'm not using a top 5 pick on a tweener...Combine and workouts will hopefully show who's serious about moving up the charts...
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Joeckel really the Calvin Johnson of left tackles? If that is the kind of prospect he is, then it's a no brainer. But is he really that kind of dominant player? I am genuinely asking.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
Is Joeckel really the Calvin Johnson of left tackles? If that is the kind of prospect he is, then it's a no brainer. But is he really that kind of dominant player? I am genuinely asking.

I think so. Calvin Johnson-esque might be a stretch but he's a franchise LT nonetheless. He could probably go #1 depending on the team. Id rather use him as bait to trade back if he doesn't go before because we have so many holes.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:

No. He's not Joe Thomas, Jake Long, etc.

I personally don't think there is that bluechip guy in this draft in the top 10, which is why I doubt we see a trade down.

There is just no value at the top. The X-factor is some team falling in love with some prospect and going all in on him. But again, is there an RGIII or Julio Jones in this class worthy of that, no.

I'd rather the Raiders be sitting #8-10 because that is better trade level. Top 3 is tough unless there is a blue chip QB in that space.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eagles and Cards will be eying him... We NEED to trade down. Plus Buffalo at 8 will be looking for a QB. We are in a good position to pick up some more draft picks.
nbaker1933

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our biggest need is a pass rusher, we had one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL.

additionally I think he has an increased value as the premier left tackle, and may be the most desireable player when our turn comes up, I think he is our best bet to trade back.
Raiders4sho!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
holyghost wrote:

No. He's not Joe Thomas, Jake Long, etc.

I personally don't think there is that bluechip guy in this draft in the top 10, which is why I doubt we see a trade down.

There is just no value at the top. The X-factor is some team falling in love with some prospect and going all in on him. But again, is there an RGIII or Julio Jones in this class worthy of that, no.

I'd rather the Raiders be sitting #8-10 because that is better trade level. Top 3 is tough unless there is a blue chip QB in that space.

I heard from one scout that he thinks joeckel is a better prospect than Matt Kalil jake long and joe Thomas were. I wouldn't be mad with the pick it'd go a long way in solidifying the offensive line but I think we need the help on defense more.

bitty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the problem with drafting a LT.
JV is an above average tackle and he still young and can improve. So if you draft an OT and he can't beat out JV, you just spent the third pick in the draft on a RT.

Plus i really want Howie's baby to play RT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: