Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

null
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
Hey guys, looking for a little insight/info on your coaching staff. Specifically, I'm wondering if the assistant coaches were let go with Lovie or were locked up with contracts, especially the defensive coaches? In other words, can Lovie take some/many/most of the defensive staff with him if (when) he gets hired? Are there any assistants you can identify that he would absolutely like to take with him?

Thanks and best of luck to you guys in this off-season.
The assistants are all still under contract, but one of the beat guys said that he expects none of the assistants to stay. Most likely scenario is that the D staff (Rod Marinelli, Bob Babich, John Hoke), RBs coach Tim Spencer, WRs coach Daryl Drake, and the best ST Coach in the game Dave Toub all follow Lovie. Marinelli is a DL guru. Lance Briggs & Brian Urlacher say that Babich is an excellent LB coach, and John Hoke really turned around the secondary since he joined the staff in 2010. Daryl Drake was given absolute trash to work w/ for the most part until recently and has been able to get guys that shouldn't be playing WR in the NFL to look like avg NFL WRs. Dave Toub, as I stated earlier, is the best ST Coach in the NFL. Perrennially has his unit ranked as the best in the NFL. Was a strong candidate for the Miami HC job last year, and has been slapped in the face by the team by bringing in other ST coaches for interviews, but not interviewing him.

Thanks for the great info. What I've found odd is that, as far as I know, Toub still hasn't been invited to talk to any teams yet! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
Hey guys, looking for a little insight/info on your coaching staff. Specifically, I'm wondering if the assistant coaches were let go with Lovie or were locked up with contracts, especially the defensive coaches? In other words, can Lovie take some/many/most of the defensive staff with him if (when) he gets hired? Are there any assistants you can identify that he would absolutely like to take with him?

Thanks and best of luck to you guys in this off-season.
The assistants are all still under contract, but one of the beat guys said that he expects none of the assistants to stay. Most likely scenario is that the D staff (Rod Marinelli, Bob Babich, John Hoke), RBs coach Tim Spencer, WRs coach Daryl Drake, and the best ST Coach in the game Dave Toub all follow Lovie. Marinelli is a DL guru. Lance Briggs & Brian Urlacher say that Babich is an excellent LB coach, and John Hoke really turned around the secondary since he joined the staff in 2010. Daryl Drake was given absolute trash to work w/ for the most part until recently and has been able to get guys that shouldn't be playing WR in the NFL to look like avg NFL WRs. Dave Toub, as I stated earlier, is the best ST Coach in the NFL. Perrennially has his unit ranked as the best in the NFL. Was a strong candidate for the Miami HC job last year, and has been slapped in the face by the team by bringing in other ST coaches for interviews, but not interviewing him.

Thanks for the great info. What I've found odd is that, as far as I know, Toub still hasn't been invited to talk to any teams yet! Shocked

Well he hasnt yet...the process is still ongoing

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, did I see somebody say Lovie was loyal to a fault????

He has had 4 OC's and 3 DC's, and he fired his best DC after a super bowl appearence, hahaha, Lovie was a snake to his staff.....I guess the players did like him though

Also the talent argument is the worse....former/current Pro bowlers on the roster this year include the RB, WR, QB, DE, 2 LB's, 2 CB's...and I believe Weems has been to a pro bowl, giving us 2 pro bowl returners and a pro bowl kicker!

How much talent did this guy need!!!???

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:

He has had 4 OC's and 3 DC's, and he fired his best DC after a super bowl appearence, hahaha, Lovie was a snake to his staff.....I guess the players did like him though

Also the talent argument is the worse....former/current Pro bowlers on the roster this year include the RB, WR, QB, DE, 2 LB's, 2 CB's...and I believe Weems has been to a pro bowl, giving us 2 pro bowl returners and a pro bowl kicker!

How about an Oline to start with. If you can't see the total void that was offensive talent for the mass majority of Lovie's time here, I don't know how I could possibly be able to help you understand it.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

How about an Oline to start with. If you can't see the total void that was offensive talent for the mass majority of Lovie's time here, I don't know how I could possibly be able to help you understand it.
]

I already have said multiple times that he has had a say in the personnel himself....I just didnt want to mention it again.

This post was me more just explaining that Lovie wasnt a victim.
Also if we are going to bring up an OL, then talk about most of his tenure, he had an OL for most of his tenure.....or if not most, half at least.

BrotherlyLove wrote:

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

]

I already have said multiple times that he has had a say in the personnel himself....I just didnt want to mention it again.

Also if we are going to bring up an OL, then talk about most of his tenure, he had an OL for most of his tenure.....or if not most, half at least.
Ha ha ha, I have seen few things more ridiculous than that statement written here! Laughing
bfanincheezland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

]

Ha ha ha, I have seen few things more ridiculous than that statement written here! Laughing

The oline was pretty good when Garza, Kruetz, Tait et. al. were playing well. The problem was they all fell off the proverbial cliff at the same time and there was no adequate succession plan in place.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

]

Zzzzz... OL was good, 05,06, 07,08. We needed youth so we drafted Williams at OT......in 09 Williams wasnt cutting it so we got Pace(which by the way, has Lovie written all over it)....Pace didnt work and we were left with a mix of guys too old and too young.

Dude....I never understand why you try so hard to prove your points.....you actually have pretty decent posts most of the time then you get all defensive and stop making sense. Shame on you

BrotherlyLove wrote:

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
bfanincheezland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as missing Lovie, I think he is a good coach and leader of men. He was well respected in the locker room and around the league, but it was time to move on. I thank him for what he did to make us competitive again but he just couldn't get over the hump. Was it all his fault? I don't think it was, but he had 9 years to get at least an average offense assembled and he couldn't get it done.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

]

Zzzzz... OL was good, 05,06, 07,08. We needed youth so we drafted Williams at OT......in 09 Williams wasnt cutting it so we got Pace(which by the way, has Lovie written all over it)....Pace didnt work and we were left with a mix of guys too old and too young.

Dude....I never understand why you try so hard to prove your points.....you actually have pretty decent posts most of the time then you get all defensive and stop making sense. Shame on you
05 and 06 it was a top 5 OL. 07 was the start of the decline, 08 it fell off a cliff. Lovie had a good OL 2 whole years of the 9 spent here. Did Lovie have a hand in bringing in Pace, probably, but it reeks of Jerry Angelo's OL strategy as well of trying to piece together aging veterans at the end of their prime and hoping to strike gold. Not building thru the draft. What worries me most going forward is apparently this is Emery's philosophy too since the 3 OL we had targeted in FA last year ALL RETIRED

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
ChiSportsFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess who the retired players are: Marcus McNeill, Vernon Carey, and Eric Steinbach. Thought Chad Clifton and Kareem McKenzie retired but that does not seem to be the case, but I don't doubt that Emery had interest in them if he likes to go after aging O-Line men.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
05 and 06 it was a top 5 OL. 07 was the start of the decline, 08 it fell off a cliff. Lovie had a good OL 2 whole years of the 9 spent here. Did Lovie have a hand in bringing in Pace, probably, but it reeks of Jerry Angelo's OL strategy as well of trying to piece together aging veterans at the end of their prime and hoping to strike gold. Not building thru the draft. What worries me most going forward is apparently this is Emery's philosophy too since the 3 OL we had targeted in FA last year ALL RETIRED

Well 4 years was what I meant by half, I will give you 08 I guess, but you cant just not count 07 because it wasnt top 5, haha....I think we can settle on 3 years, so a third of his tenure.

As far as Emery.....or any other GM for that matter...who are these OL you guys are saying to get???? I ask it every time and no one names anyone. In a few mocks I have seen Vollmer and Levitre. Vollmer is an often injured swing OT and Levitre is a pretty good LG.

Lets just do a hypothetical scenario....if the Bears had those 2 players on the roster this year do you really think we would have won more games?? Could we have avoided the Seahawks or Vikings loss and the Packers sweep??

I just do not understand why you guys view Lovie as a guy who was handcuffed when him and Jerry BOTH came from Tampa, and pretty much had the exact same demeanor!!

Hypothetical again though....lets say he was handcuffed...why would you want a coach who was so easily handcuffed and was too scared to speak up about what his team needed!??? Lets say he did only have a good OL for 2 out of 9 years....why would you want a coach who sat around for 7 years of his time here and never spoke up???

This Lovie thing is INSANE!!! Shocked

BrotherlyLove wrote:

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O-line was more than "in decline" in 2007; IMO, it was pretty bad. They gave up 42 sacks and averaged 3.1 yards a carry. The 2004 line wasn't that good either but they did have Tait, Kreutz, and Brown before they were over the hill. The O-line was very good in 2005/2006 and, IMO, subpar (at a minimum) during the rest of Lovie's tenure.

Last edited by Slaymont Harris on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Toub and Marinelli are very good but everyone on offense is terrible. Darryl Drake the WR coach is an idiot.

Laughing
THAT'S WHAT I SAID THAT'S WHAT I SAID!
Sr7252

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Toub & Marinelli leave, this whole thing to me will have been a failure(unless our ST & D stay good).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: