Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

philbin final thoughts and number 1 priority
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: philbin final thoughts and number 1 priority Reply with quote

Miami Dolphins’ Joe Philbin says No. 1 priority is fixing team’s turnover deficit

0 12 0 34

By Hal Habib

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

DAVIE —

The reasons for optimism are there, starting with the feeling the Dolphins have finally found a franchise quarterback in Ryan Tannehill. But coach Joe Philbin figures there’s plenty of time to dissect, and build upon, what went right this season.

For now, the focus is on what went wrong.

“Seven-and-nine is not good enough,” Philbin said Monday in the final analysis of his rookie season as a head coach in the NFL. “You put a lot of effort and make a lot of sacrifices and you come to work starting July 27.

“The goal is to compete for championships, so there should be nobody in our team meeting room that was satisfied with where we’re at.”

Making the leap to becoming a playoff team in 2013, he said, requires leaping from the bottom of the pile in turnover margin — something Philbin clearly intends to make a theme this off-season. The Dolphins tied for 24th in the league with a minus-10 turnover margin. It’s no coincidence that eight of the top 10 teams in takeaways are in the playoffs.

“The first component of the program is playing sound football and the No. 1 criteria for winning games in the National Football League is holding onto the ball and taking the ball away,” Philbin said. “That’s at the top of the list.”

The Dolphins lost 13 fumbles, tied for eighth-most in the NFL. Their defense made only 13 interceptions, tied for 22nd in the league.

Philbin planned to devote much of the first day of this off-season toward exit interviews with players, giving each an assessment but also asking each to walk in with one suggestion for improving the team. No doubt he heard plenty say that despite the 28-0 season-ending loss to New England, the team’s youth and breathing room under the salary cap offer hope they can make the playoffs next season.

Running back Reggie Bush, whose contract is up for renewal, typified the feeling in the locker room as players packed their belongings into oversize garbage bags.

The loss “leaves a little bit of a bitter taste in your mouth and it’s a wake-up call that we have a ways to go,” Bush said before adding, “I like where this team is headed. I think what coach Philbin brings to this team is really special.”

Bottom line for Bush and his future in Miami: “It’s been a pleasure to play here these last two years. … I still feel like there’s some unfinished business left, so we’ll see what happens when we sit down and contract time comes, but hopefully I’ll be back.”

Cornerback Sean Smith, another free agent-to-be, echoed that.

“I’m going to take it easy, let my agent and the guys upstairs do what they have to do,” Smith said. “I’m confident something’s going to get worked out. It’s definitely where I want to be, forever.”

Tannehill won’t be going anywhere as he prepares for his second pro season, although in the short term, he’s looking forward to relaxing for a minute.

As reporters rattled off a half-dozen of the more popular TV shows, Tannehill admitted he had hardly seen any. Which shouldn’t be surprising considering he also has barely seen Miami. Tannehill said a charity appearance lasting three hours is the extent of the time he has spent seeing Miami. Days off were spent preparing.

“I’m confident with the work ethic he has, the passion he has for the game,” Philbin said.

So is center Mike Pouncey, who added, “We got lucky when we picked that kid.”

Tannehill wasn’t fortunate when it came to hitting wide receivers for touchdowns. No wide receiver on the Dolphins finished with even two touchdown receptions. Tannehill said it meant, “I’ve got to do a better job of throwing touchdowns.”

Although not specifically referring to the receiving corps, perhaps Pouncey offered the most honest testimony regarding the need for a play-making receiver when he said, “I think this team did a great job this year for what we had.”

Meanwhile on getaway day:

• Asked his philosophy of building through the draft vs. free agency, Philbin said, “I’m not opposed to improving the football team in any way.”

• Philbin surprisingly pointed to rookie linebacker Josh Kaddu, a fifth-round pick who saw scant playing time and didn’t record a tackle, as one player whose potential for Year 2 excites him most.

• Statistically, the Dolphins took a step back offensively and defensively in 2012. The offense ranked 27th in the league, down from 22nd, and was 27th in scoring, down from No. 20. Defensively, Miami was 21st overall, down from 15th, but seventh in fewest points allowed (after ranking sixth in 2011).
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting that josh kaddu is the one player who excites him the most next year.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Very interesting that josh kaddu is the one player who excites him the most next year.

He was a prototypical SLB in college but is way too weak for the position in the NFL. Apparently we underestimated how weak. Give him a year to get stronger and we might see a nice LB.

FANTASTIC to hear Sean Smith say that. I think both he and Bush are back. I think we might see Bush used more as a receiving option next year with another year for Miller and Thomas.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush speaks very highly of philbin and thats important when your hardest worker and team leader believes in the coach the way he does. Keeping my fingers crossed
mountainpd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Bush speaks very highly of philbin and thats important when your hardest worker and team leader believes in the coach the way he does. Keeping my fingers crossed

Couldn't agree more. May agree to a contract which is mutually beneficial rather than test the Market.

^^^Kempes^^^
Deadeye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Philbin is serious about wanting to generate more turnovers, that means a pass rush DE and ball hawking FS. I know this draft is pretty deep at DE, but how are the safeties?
mountainpd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Well, if Philbin is serious about wanting to generate more turnovers, that means a pass rush DE and ball hawking FS. I know this draft is pretty deep at DE, but how are the safeties?

I like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State with our first 3rd round pick although recent projections have him higher so may need our second 2nd rounder.

Others

Reid
Rambo

I would like to use our 1st rounder on a pass rusher if one drops and depending on free agency our first 2nd rounder on either OT or WR.

^^^Kempes^^^
Manic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know i was thinking to, everyone says we need to sign a top fa wr as well as resign hartline. Why tho? i am a hartline fan, but if we sign jennings or wallace why resign hartline when we want to draft a wr whod be cheaper anyway. We need alot of help on the oline plus the defensive secondary that I dont think we can afford to sign a top wr while keeping some of our mediocre high character guys. If it comes to it id rather the team spend the few extra million to get a wallace or jennings over hartline.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
you know i was thinking to, everyone says we need to sign a top fa wr as well as resign hartline. Why tho? i am a hartline fan, but if we sign jennings or wallace why resign hartline when we want to draft a wr whod be cheaper anyway. We need alot of help on the oline plus the defensive secondary that I dont think we can afford to sign a top wr while keeping some of our mediocre high character guys. If it comes to it id rather the team spend the few extra million to get a wallace or jennings over hartline.

If we sign Hartline and a top FA wideout we can draft oline pass rush and safety with early picks. If we improve our o Lin in free agency we can go the other way,

^^^Kempes^^^
Manic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think resigning hartline, unless he is cheap, is a waste of cap room. Most ppl agree that on most good teams he is at best a #3 wr. Why not just let him go and use that cap room to improve another area. If we sign jennings and draft a younger wr it gives us even more reason to let him go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
To be honest one of the best in a few years. Matt Elam,Tony Jefferson, Kenny Vaccaro,dj swearinger,and thomas are all good prospects
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manic wrote:
i just think resigning hartline, unless he is cheap, is a waste of cap room. Most ppl agree that on most good teams he is at best a #3 wr. Why not just let him go and use that cap room to improve another area. If we sign jennings and draft a younger wr it gives us even more reason to let him go.

And let him go to the Patriots where he will dominate us for another 8years... We need weapons and Hartine is a weapon for T-Hill. If we sign Wallace/Jennings/Bowe then we can focus on other areas early on in the draft like pass rush and a FS/CB

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Emerica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
Manic wrote:

And let him go to the Patriots where he will dominate us for another 8years... We need weapons and Hartine is a weapon for T-Hill. If we sign Wallace/Jennings/Bowe then we can focus on other areas early on in the draft like pass rush and a FS/CB

Exactly. Wallace/Jennings/Bowe #1, Hartline #2 and Bess as the slot receiver. Add a TE of Jared Cook or Dustin Keller's caliber and this is a good receiving corps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennings is gonna be 30 next season he prolly has 3/4 seasons left. Hartline is gonna be 27 and has pretty much reach his max potential and is only going to decline. After a few seasons our wr group would be old and useless. You need to draft and develop some receiving talent so we dont end up back here in those couple seasons.

id rather use the money spent on him and go get some interior linemen who can pull and let us run effective screens. Thats more helpful to our team than a mediocre #2 wr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt really put forth a strong effort to sign Hartline. He is ok but not worthy of anything but just north of the veteran minimum. Anyone Miami signs better have size and speed. But I could careless until Miami sures up its O-line.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: