Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CONFIDENCE RANKINGS- unproven prospects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: CONFIDENCE RANKINGS- unproven prospects Reply with quote

We have all discussed our need positions on defense and who we should draft thread after thread, and we all know that one or two of those needs are likley not to be drafted. So my question for you guys is simple, rank the following unproven defensive prospects in order of your confidence in them as developing into future starters/contributers. The players that I chose for these rankings all are defensive players who have had some positive moments in preseason or good hype coming out of the draft from this forum BUT without a lot of opportunity to play meaningful snaps. If there is anyone else worth noting that I did not mention feel free to add them. Rank most confidence at the top to least confidence at the bottom.

Unproven prospects to rank: Robert Golden, Adrian Robinson, Alameda Ta'amu, Sean Spence, Hebron Fangupo

My rankings:

1. Adrian Robinson- Theres something about this kid. He's explosive and squatty. He's exactly the type of player the steelers like at OLB. Unlike most teams we like our OLBs 6'2 or under. Hopefully he learned three things from Debo this year (playing with leverage, strength training regiment, and nastiness). I think he could overtake Carter and Worlids as the future here.

2. Robert Golden- As a FS Golden has ideal speed, quickness, and coverage skills. From what Iv seen he even looks to have solid tackling. He could probably stand to put on 5 to 10 lbs to help in dealing with the better TEs and help with run support. The main question I have is can he be the true center fielder I have been wanting alongside Troy his whole career.

3. Hebron Fangupo- I was huge on this guy coming out of college. He was an older prospect coming out of BYU but looked to have that Grown Man stregnth as well. He seems to be a stand up unselfish guy with his BYU backgrownd and playing style similar to a guy some of you may know by the name of "Hokie." I was bumed when we didnt draft him but very excited that they took a chance on him last week and picked him up. he will never be a probowler but could end up being a very consistent player at NT.

4. Sean Spence- Loved Spence as a overall football player, yet I am still skeptical of his fit in our system. He would naturally be a fit as our Mack (Timmons) not our Buck (Foote) as he is a better flow to the ball and coverage type of player as opposed to a guy to meet OGs and FBs head on every play. And I definitley do not want to see Timmons putting on weight and being moved back over to the Buck again for obvious reasons. Add in health concerns coming of off major knee injuries and you can see why he is so low on my list.

5. Alameda Ta'amu- Ta'amu would have been number 1 on my list in early August, but now he is the last on this list. The natural god given talent is all there big as a house, strong, and suprisingly quick for a man his size, but everything else is a cocnern. The first and most important question mark is off field concerns. If that is resolved I still have questions about his ability to learn to play with leverage and discipline in our scheme. Often times he either gets too high and blown back or picks a side and gets washed down the line. If he gets everthing together he has the highest potential on this list, but if not he has the lowest floor.

Sorry if I got a little long winded, but I am very interested in these young prospects who are pretty much unknown variables on our team.

What are your rankings??? Im very interested on hearing everyones input on this topic (please do not add in players like Worlids, McClendon, Cam, or Allen who we have seen in short stints for the past couple of years).
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Spence will end up being a guy that gets used more like a safety if the defense starts using packages like the "big nickel" package GB's used, rather than become a starter at mack or buck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Robert Golden
2. Adrian Robinson
3. Sean Spence
4. Hebron Fangupo

Alameda Ta'amu I cant rank since his future with this team and in the NFL is still very much in question.

If he is on this team, Id definitely put him at 1.

Spence could jump higher if he shows something in training camp. Of course, you could say that about every player, but he has the most ground to gain.

Fangupo will never amount to anything IMO. Sorry keth....I just dont see the draw.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alamdea Ta'amu will be first till otherwise, right now he's still on the team. Rewatched that Stanford game and while he wasn't dominating with tkls or sacks he was a factor. People say he gets washed out I believe it was his assignment to penetrate up field. In the Steelers defense if he pushes the pocket like in college Timmons will lead the team in sacks every year.

Sean Spence may not be your typical 3-4 ILB, but he's almost the same size as L. Foote. The biggest issue fans/media had with L. Foote was his inability to cover players out of the back field. Something S. Spence will have more success at with his speed. The biggest question mark surrounding Spence is can he stack and shed OL enough to make plays in the backfield. L. Foote will be around next year, but Spence has to take some snaps away from him similar to what Foote did to Farrior.

Robert Golden saw more action as the season wore on due to injury didn't stick out, but didn't look bad either. He gives the Steelers something they haven't had since C. Lake and that's a safety who can play the slot in certain downs and subpackages. Golden with more progression and time in the system should push Mundy or Allen off the roster.

Steve McLendon may not fit the mold, but he still a unproven player. Steve MLendon is like a myth only talked about but never really seen. The Steelers have a very young DL rotation with Heyward, Hood, Woods, Ta'amu and McLendon

Adrain Robinson, Cris Carter and Jason Worilds *yawn*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

Worlids and Carter I agree with.

Robinson was UDFA and showed more promise than Ive seen from 2nd rounder Worlids.

Im not saying he will ever do anything, but I wouldnt "yawn" at him just yet.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Worlids and Carter I agree with.

Robinson was UDFA and showed more promise than Ive seen from 2nd rounder Worlids.

Im not saying he will ever do anything, but I wouldnt "yawn" at him just yet.

Could be James Harrison or Justin Kurpeikis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: