Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coach Firings Steelers should Consider
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Coach Firings Steelers should Consider Reply with quote

Are there any coach firings that we should consider hiring? Whiz is a possibility IMO, but it seemed he left on bad terms. Im a big Lovie Smith fan, and think he's a good defensive mind, but more of a 4-3 guy. Not sure if we could find a spot for him on our team though if Lebeau retires. Maybe DB's coach if Lake is D-Coord or LB coach if Butler is D-Coord. Any others?
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Toub Special Teams coach.

Mike Tice for Oline coach

Bobby freakin April - Special Teams coach!!!!!!

Carlos Polk - Special teams coach

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stop mentioning Whiz. He was never that good of an OC and he was never a good HC. Let him go somewhere else and be overrated. If we lose Haley, Id much rather go with Kirby Wilson.

LeBeau isnt retiring this year so none of that DC stuff matters right now.

As jebrick stated....STs and OLine are the probably the only real changes needed.

Part of me thinks they need a new strength and conditioning coach, though.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Part of me thinks they need a new strength and conditioning coach, though.

This is the biggest one I think. We're consistently one of the most injured teams in the league and it extends beyond just our older players.

Also not so much a firing, but our WR/RB coaches need to get far harder on ball security.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Steeler fans are way too critical.

Whizenhunt got us a super bowl win even though Ben played poorly. He also got the lowly Cardinals to the super bowl. If Warner doesn't retire the Cardinals probably would have remained one of the top teams in the NFC.

Give the guy the credit that he's due.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisenhunt was our defensive coordinator?
stefan52268

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Teams and O Line coach are a must. April would be nice.

I honestly don't think Haley is going anywhere. If he did I'd be fine with Kirby Wilson as OC. Whiz won't return. Neither will Grimm. ( I wouldn't want Grimm anyway).

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
Some Steeler fans are way too critical.

Whizenhunt got us a super bowl win even though Ben played poorly. He also got the lowly Cardinals to the super bowl. If Warner doesn't retire the Cardinals probably would have remained one of the top teams in the NFC.

Give the guy the credit that he's due.

Always love this logic of "we won a SB with him, so he must be good". Maybe we should bring back guys like Larry Zierlien and Darnell Stapleton. They both sucked, but since they were part of the SB team, that means they must have been really good.

Whiz didnt get us a SB. Im not saying he didnt help at all, but he wasnt a major reason. His playcalling was ultra conservative and got us into trouble alot. He never did much with this offense while he was here.

And he inherited Kurt Warner, Fitz and Boldin. Besides players he inherited, name one offensive player that was groomed under him to be a quality player. Every decent offensive player had in his entire tenure that was worth anything were players he inherited.

I dont dislike Whiz in general, but I would never want him as our OC again.
SteelerPR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the ST and OL, I would add to the wish list a WR coach and conditioning coordinator.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One offensive coordinator that I wouldn't mind if Todd Haley actually botch for Cardinals or other gig... Chuck Gailey.

He'd be great for our running backs. Not sure how he'd fit in our passing offense though but and then Bills never really had a good WR corp.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
One offensive coordinator that I wouldn't mind if Todd Haley actually botch for Cardinals or other gig... Chuck Gailey.

He'd be great for our running backs. Not sure how he'd fit in our passing offense though but and then Bills never really had a good WR corp.

You mean CHAN Gailey?

And yes...he would be possbily my first choice if we lost Haley.

In fact, if I knew we could land Gailey. Id be fine with dismissing Haley.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

You mean CHAN Gailey?

I could agree with this. Not a huge fan of Haley so far beyond him at least understanding that a bad o-line should mean quicker plays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

You mean CHAN Gailey?

I could agree with this. Not a huge fan of Haley so far beyond him at least understanding that a bad o-line should mean quicker plays.

Im not going to make excuses for Haley, and I do understand why some people dont like him...but I think this year, poor execution played a bigger part. It always plays a part...even under Arians, it wasnt always his fault, but at least under Arians, our receivers were catching the ball and getting open more. And up until Ben got hurt, he was playing better than I ever saw him play under Arians.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

You mean CHAN Gailey?

Im not going to make excuses for Haley, and I do understand why some people dont like him...but I think this year, poor execution played a bigger part. It always plays a part...even under Arians, it wasnt always his fault, but at least under Arians, our receivers were catching the ball and getting open more. And up until Ben got hurt, he was playing better than I ever saw him play under Arians.

People tend to only remember the present. Does anyone remember when we were saying how good he is in changing up our offense the first 6 or so weeks? I mean, that was the best offensive system I've seen since I've been a fan. We kept defenses guessing, but as injuries and execution started to play a part, then our offense mightily suffered. Never got into the same groove.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

You mean CHAN Gailey?

People tend to only remember the present. Does anyone remember when we were saying how good he is in changing up our offense the first 6 or so weeks? I mean, that was the best offensive system I've seen since I've been a fan. We kept defenses guessing, but as injuries and execution started to play a part, then our offense mightily suffered. Never got into the same groove.

I didnt start hearing any really bad criticisms of Haley until Ben went down. There were some before that, but mostly people saying that Haley didnt play to our strengthsm which is complete bunk. His offense still allowed Ben to be Ben despite claims to the contrary...the only difference is it emphasised quicker plays. When we did call plays that had big play potential, our WRs, especially Wallace, werent getting open downfield. But instead of realizing that, some people just decided to blame that all on Haley....which I get, but it was his first year and was working with what he had.

Im still a big Haley supporter....but still, I would probably dump him for Gailey, who was the guy Ive wanted for years now. With a QB like Ben, I think he could work wonders for us. He got the most out of a Buffalo offense with far less talent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: