Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2013 Off-Season Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
Why on Earth do people keep thinking that cutting CJ is going to be some sort of great solution to a big portion of our problems? If we want to save money so bad, let's get rid of these dead weight players who are making a good chunk of change only to suck a$$. Guys like Amano, Griffin, Hasselbeck, Harris, etc., not your best offensive player. CJ is still our best weapon, and still a major threat in this league that defenses have to respect. But they don't have to be too afraid when they can get to him in the backfield almost as soon as the ball is snapped. And the sheer thought of believing that we can just bring in some ol' random RB and get better results than what CJ's had is completely asinine. If that were the case, any one of our current backups would have had better success than CJ, and you see how well that went. Again, if we quit thinking we can turn sh-t into shinola and seriously fix that O-line, we'll fix CJ...not that he's really "broken" or anything.

CJ really came on and rushed hard at the end of the season after a poor start right? Last 5 games of the year rushed 85 times for 301 yards 3.5 yards per carry. Take away the 94 yard rush he had against the Jets 84 rushes for 207 yards 2.5 yards per carry.

CJ is no longer a weapon unless you open up a 5 yard hold for him on every carry. What value does a RB that can't break tackles and doesn't make people miss have? Why is he so damn valuable if the only thing he can do is run past people when given a huge hole?

Does he have explosive speed and great pass protection ability? You're damn right he does. Is that worth 10 million a year when on the majority of his carries he is getting less than 3 yards? I don't think so.

Drop CJ's dead weight and pick up Andy Levitre and Henry Melton in FA.

RBs are a dime a dozen and on 90% of CJs carries any other RB in the league will do just as good or better than CJ. Pick up any random RB in the draft or FA and we will be fine.

Chris Johnson is a drive killer. Can't break a tackle or fall forward when tackled and nearly every carry he gets puts us in a 2nd or 3rd and long situation. Drop his dead weight and pick up someone worth the weight of their contract.

The Titans will cut Chris Johnson after the Super Bowl.

The majority of Titans fans outside of footballsfuture have started to embrace the cutting of CJ to pick up other positions that actually have some value to our team and the FO will notice this and wipe the sweat off their foreheads that was there when they wanted to cut CJ to being with but were afraid to because of a possible uproar in Nashville. The only reason CJ even has a chance to stay is because he is the only person on our team the media recognizes because of his one great season.

My random jumbled mess of thoughts on the subject.
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Dionysus wrote:
Why on Earth do people keep thinking that cutting CJ is going to be some sort of great solution to a big portion of our problems? If we want to save money so bad, let's get rid of these dead weight players who are making a good chunk of change only to suck a$$. Guys like Amano, Griffin, Hasselbeck, Harris, etc., not your best offensive player. CJ is still our best weapon, and still a major threat in this league that defenses have to respect. But they don't have to be too afraid when they can get to him in the backfield almost as soon as the ball is snapped. And the sheer thought of believing that we can just bring in some ol' random RB and get better results than what CJ's had is completely asinine. If that were the case, any one of our current backups would have had better success than CJ, and you see how well that went. Again, if we quit thinking we can turn sh-t into shinola and seriously fix that O-line, we'll fix CJ...not that he's really "broken" or anything.

CJ really came on and rushed hard at the end of the season after a poor start right? Last 5 games of the year rushed 85 times for 301 yards 3.5 yards per carry. Take away the 94 yard rush he had against the Jets 84 rushes for 207 yards 2.5 yards per carry.

CJ is no longer a weapon unless you open up a 5 yard hold for him on every carry. What value does a RB that can't break tackles and doesn't make people miss have? Why is he so damn valuable if the only thing he can do is run past people when given a huge hole?

Does he have explosive speed and great pass protection ability? You're damn right he does. Is that worth 10 million a year when on the majority of his carries he is getting less than 3 yards? I don't think so.

Drop CJ's dead weight and pick up Andy Levitre and Henry Melton in FA.

RBs are a dime a dozen and on 90% of CJs carries any other RB in the league will do just as good or better than CJ. Pick up any random RB in the draft or FA and we will be fine.

Chris Johnson is a drive killer. Can't break a tackle or fall forward when tackled and nearly every carry he gets puts us in a 2nd or 3rd and long situation. Drop his dead weight and pick up someone worth the weight of their contract.

The Titans will cut Chris Johnson after the Super Bowl.

The majority of Titans fans outside of footballsfuture have started to embrace the cutting of CJ to pick up other positions that actually have some value to our team and the FO will notice this and wipe the sweat off their foreheads that was there when they wanted to cut CJ to being with but were afraid to because of a possible uproar in Nashville. The only reason CJ even has a chance to stay is because he is the only person on our team the media recognizes because of his one great season.

My random jumbled mess of thoughts on the subject.
You're really going to pretend like any struggles with the running game over the last five weeks falls on Chris Johnson? Really?

How about we look at the stretch he had after he had time to gel with a new offensive line and the line was actually healthy? You know, that stretch where it's actually reasonable to expect a running back to have success...

6 games (From Pittsburgh to Jacksonville)
118 carries
732 yards
6.2 yards per carry
122 rushing yards per game

I mean seriously, I get it, CJ may not be CJ2K, but pretending like it's completely fair to expect him to have success with an offensive line starting Byron Stingily, Kyle DeVan, Mitch Petrus, Michael Otto and whoever the hell else we had to throw in there over the last five weeks is absolutely ridiculous.

I get that Chris Johnson is probably overpaid, but he's not an average running back and he adds plenty to an offense that desperately needs someone explosive.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Titans fan 617 wrote:
Im surprised no ones talking about CJs comments

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130201/SPORTS01/130201025/Titans-Super-Bowl-Chris-Johnson-can-t-even-see-?nclick_check=1

Im glad hes speaking the truth and isnt b.s'ing by saying we have a team that can win. He even mentioned needing to upgrade the o-line. Also not mentioned in this article but he has said the Titans havnt even assured him his roster spot for next year. This franchise is right at the brink of following into a sink hole and really turning into one of those KC Jag type teams where there bad for years an years. The majority in here has already agreed that this is make or break for Locker this year. Hopefully its not as bad as CJ makes it out to seem but the reality is hes probably right

As much as it pains me to say, I think we should cut CJ. Judging by some of his recent comments, it sounds like he wants a change of scenery. It would also free up a ton of cap space for us to use on bigger needs. I doubt Munchak and company is going to cut him though. Munchak is on thin ice and I'll doubt he'll cut one of our best offensive players and face of the franchise.

I dont think he cares about where he plays he just wants to win what hes saying isnt wrong i agree with him we suck we dont have a SB in our near future an our o-line sucks and thats just the tip of the ice berg for whats wrong with this franchise

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 10 Tackles 6 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 10 Tackles 7 Assist 2 Sack
justing101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not like were pressed up against the cap and its CJ's fault. We have plenty of cap space and will have more when we cut Amano and Babs. CJ is still our best weapon even with a pathetic o-line. We need to upgrade the o-line, work on the pass rush, and get a safety and hope Locker is the answer. Yeah, lets cut CJ and have JAVON RINGER as our starter, that's smart Rolling Eyes We need to get another RB to pair with CJ in this draft. People need to stop being ignorant or stop hating CJ the person. (He isn't a bad guy) Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justing101 wrote:
Its not like were pressed up against the cap and its CJ's fault. We have plenty of cap space and will have more when we cut Amano and Babs. CJ is still our best weapon even with a pathetic o-line. We need to upgrade the o-line, work on the pass rush, and get a safety and hope Locker is the answer. Yeah, lets cut CJ and have JAVON RINGER as our starter, that's smart Rolling Eyes We need to get another RB to pair with CJ in this draft. People need to stop being ignorant or stop hating CJ the person. (He isn't a bad guy) Laughing

Plain and simple...and yet people act like it's gonna take rocket science to figure out our problems. At least some of us get it.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ may be our best offensive player but it hasn't led to any playoff apperances the past 4 seasons. The closest we were to going to playoffs was the 2011 season, which just so happen to be his worse season of his career. Add the fact that CJ only has 10 total TDs (with none of those being receiving) in the two years since he's gotten his contract.

My mentality is that if you can get rid of a bad contract without much consequences then get rid of it(same with Griffin but that's a whole 'nother story). Freeing up 9mil or 10mil in cap would put us in a position where we could sign Melton, LeVitre and maybe even one of marquee WR or safety without having to worry about our cap space. Not having that extra 9mil would mean we would have to chose and be selective about our FAs. Let's also not forget that we'll be having to sign Verner,Cook and some others to a long term deal.

If we address the G position via the draft or free agency, then I can't see why a rookie RB and Ringer/Harper/free agent RB can't be as sucessful as CJ's been recently. For comparison sake, Vick Ballard and Donald Brown rushed for 1231 yards and 3 TDs behind the Colts putrid line compared to CJ's 1243 yards and 6 TDs. Pretty comparable. I see any reason why Andre Ellington (a guy compared to CJ by many), Mike Gillislee or Stepfan Taylor can't be as good as Vick Ballard was for the Colts.

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14
justing101

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
CJ may be our best offensive player but it hasn't led to any playoff apperances the past 4 seasons. The closest we were to going to playoffs was the 2011 season, which just so happen to be his worse season of his career. Add the fact that CJ only has 10 total TDs (with none of those being receiving) in the two years since he's gotten his contract.

My mentality is that if you can get rid of a bad contract without much consequences then get rid of it(same with Griffin but that's a whole 'nother story). Freeing up 9mil or 10mil in cap would put us in a position where we could sign Melton, LeVitre and maybe even one of marquee WR or safety without having to worry about our cap space. Not having that extra 9mil would mean we would have to chose and be selective about our FAs. Let's also not forget that we'll be having to sign Verner,Cook and some others to a long term deal.

If we address the G position via the draft or free agency, then I can't see why a rookie RB and Ringer/Harper/free agent RB can't be as sucessful as CJ's been recently. For comparison sake, Vick Ballard and Donald Brown rushed for 1231 yards and 3 TDs behind the Colts putrid line compared to CJ's 1243 yards and 6 TDs. Pretty comparable. I see any reason why Andre Ellington (a guy compared to CJ by many), Mike Gillislee or Stepfan Taylor can't be as good as Vick Ballard was for the Colts.

Freeing up money is not a need for us. Were in a good position with the cap. We won't even spend all of what we have in free agency so why release someone to make more room when were not even gonna use all of what we got. That argument is terrible. CJ is still a home run hitter and I don't think anyone understands how much defenses prepare for just him when we play them and let us try to beat them other ways. Take him away and defense's will have it much easier on us. We have plenty of cap room to make big signings as is, but your only gonna be disappointed once again this offseason when we don't go sign 2 or 3 big free agents. Not because we don't have the room but because this franchise is too stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:

This is a joke, right? Well if it isn't...

In the famous rant of Jim Mora Sr., "PLAYOFFS?! Don't talk about...playoffs??? Ya kiddin' me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game...another one."

One player is NOT going to take you to the playoffs. Giving up 30+ points per game and having to play from behind pretty much keeps you out of the playoffs. An inconsistent offense with questionable playcalling keeps you out of the playoffs. A team struggling to find its identity doesn't help a whole lot either.

As for the Colts running game, lets not forget that they were pretty much an enigma coming in. Of course they had a pretty productive running game. That's no surprise when the OC was Bruce Arians (remember the Steelers run game?). They also had a Pro-ready rookie at QB who's better than all 3 of our QBs combined, a consistent WR corps (TEs included) lead by an All-Pro veteran in Reggie Wayne and a young playmaker in T.Y. Hilton.

Then look at the ugly truth about what we were working with...a "pass-first" offense comprised of a has-been and a young wannabe who's still trying to find himself for QBs, an inconsistent WR corps, and an O-line riddled with injuries. With a makeshift O-line, a laughable passing game, and defenses stacking the box, CJ and any other RB didn't stand a chance. And the real truth is, CJ did damn good to get the production he got...another 1000 yard season. Add the pieces we need, but build around him the O-line and BETTER weapons.

If we fix the O-line and add the other pieces we need, and he still underachieves (compared to his contract and standards), then I agree that it's time to look for another capable RB of equal value but at a much cheaper price. I'll give you that.

TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justing101 wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:

Freeing up money is not a need for us. Were in a good position with the cap. We won't even spend all of what we have in free agency so why release someone to make more room when were not even gonna use all of what we got. That argument is terrible. CJ is still a home run hitter and I don't think anyone understands how much defenses prepare for just him when we play them and let us try to beat them other ways. Take him away and defense's will have it much easier on us. We have plenty of cap room to make big signings as is, but your only gonna be disappointed once again this offseason when we don't go sign 2 or 3 big free agents. Not because we don't have the room but because this franchise is too stupid.

CJ is a fast RB that doesn't break tackles or make anyone miss. That's it. Period. If you think he is some amazing weapon like Adrian Peterson your wrong. And look at the Vikings. Where are they? A good RB doesn't make much difference for your team.

To the argument that we don't need to free up cap space.. You don't understand how fast that available cap space is gone by the time we resign our players, extend contracts of our good players, and then try to pick up someone in free agency. We aren't tight on cap space where we NEED to let players go, but we're not wide open where we can just sign whoever we want.

CJ is getting paid twice what he is worth if not more. If you think he is a good everydown RB you're just plain and simple wrong and I will not argue with you. He is a boom or bust, homerun or strike-out, player. That is all he will ever be.

When opposing teams put 8 ppl in the box on him. He is done. Period. He goes nowhere. What happpens when opposing teams put 8 in the box on AP. He laughs at them while he runs them over. CJ is overpaid garbage and the majority of the community outside of these forums is ready to let him go. With his salary alone we could sign a big time OL or DL or S plus another RB and probably another DE for depth. Any and all of those would be more valuable to us that 4 big plays a year while he kills our drives on the rest of the plays.

Cut him.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:

This is a joke, right? Well if it isn't...

In the famous rant of Jim Mora Sr., "PLAYOFFS?! Don't talk about...playoffs??? Ya kiddin' me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game...another one."

One player is NOT going to take you to the playoffs. Giving up 30+ points per game and having to play from behind pretty much keeps you out of the playoffs. An inconsistent offense with questionable playcalling keeps you out of the playoffs. A team struggling to find its identity doesn't help a whole lot either.

As for the Colts running game, lets not forget that they were pretty much an enigma coming in. Of course they had a pretty productive running game. That's no surprise when the OC was Bruce Arians (remember the Steelers run game?). They also had a Pro-ready rookie at QB who's better than all 3 of our QBs combined, a consistent WR corps (TEs included) lead by an All-Pro veteran in Reggie Wayne and a young playmaker in T.Y. Hilton.

Then look at the ugly truth about what we were working with...a "pass-first" offense comprised of a has-been and a young wannabe who's still trying to find himself for QBs, an inconsistent WR corps, and an O-line riddled with injuries. With a makeshift O-line, a laughable passing game, and defenses stacking the box, CJ and any other RB didn't stand a chance. And the real truth is, CJ did damn good to get the production he got...another 1000 yard season. Add the pieces we need, but build around him the O-line and BETTER weapons.

If we fix the O-line and add the other pieces we need, and he still underachieves (compared to his contract and standards), then I agree that it's time to look for another capable RB of equal value but at a much cheaper price. I'll give you that.

I honestly just want us to clean house. Get rid of the our inept coaches. Get rid of the guys with bad contracts/character concerns like CJ, Griffin, Amano and Britt. Bring in a whole new culture. Just completely wipe the slate clean from the Fisher era.

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen. We're keeping most of our inept coaches. It also looks like we'll keep CJ, Griffin, Britt and God forbide Amano. And like you and justing101 said, we probably won't sign any of the marquee free agents. We'll also probably reach on our draft picks. Right now I'm just a pessimistic Titans fan. Sad

TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justing101 wrote:

We need quality players on defense and another RB to pair with Harper/Reynaud. We're not pressed against the cap but once we sign our players plus try to get one other quality player we're out of room. Cut CJ and we can sign our players and get 3 quality players. Like TitanSlim said, anyone we would draft in the 4th round would be just as productive as CJ.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should cut everyone and petition the league to let us do an expansion draft.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

Might as well. And while they're at it give us the 1st two picks of the 2014 class so we can get Bridgewater and Clowney. Laughing

Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have a problem cleaning house as far as the coaching staff and FO goes. Plus we could get rid of a few pathetic players that we keep clinging to...and we've already stated the obvious ones. But unfortunately, it wouldn't do us any good to clean house as long as Bud Adams is still in charge. At the most inopportune times, he'll get that wild itch and keep sticking his nose in the coach's business, screwing up everybody's master plans. Pretty much like he did with Fisher and the whole VY thing.
justing101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:

Might as well. And while they're at it give us the 1st two picks of the 2014 class so we can get Bridgewater and Clowney. Laughing

All this I would be fine with Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 17 of 86

Jump to: