Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Clements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Tom Clements Reply with quote

Hey Pack faithful I come in peace. Just wanted to get some info on OC Tom Clements. As you may know by now he is being considered for the head coaching vacancy in Chicago and I just wanted to get some insight into his role as OC of the Packers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the offense being run in Green Bay is mostly a product of head coach Mike McCarthy and that he is the main person responsible for what plays are being called. So if that's the case then what exactly is Clements role as OC? Is he merely a puppet like figure with a fancy title or does he actually have a lot of input on what goes on, what plays are called, the game planning, etc? Your feedback is much appreciated.

And I'd say good luck this weekend but I really despise both the Packers and Vikes so the result of Saturday's game will have no effect on me lol. Cheers.
justo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not calling plays didn't stop the Dolphins from hiring our OC last year. Rodgers seems to talk more about him than McCarthy or Philbin from what I've heard on his weekly radio show. I read that Philbin was the guy that was in charge of running the scout teams/creating the scout plays last year so maybe that's what Clements does now?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Not calling plays didn't stop the Dolphins from hiring our OC last year. Rodgers seems to talk more about him than McCarthy or Philbin from what I've heard on his weekly radio show. I read that Philbin was the guy that was in charge of running the scout teams/creating the scout plays last year so maybe that's what Clements does now?
I think so, he's kind of the offense's McCurley. If memory serves he advises MM's adjustments too based on what he sees from the defense. (or at least he's supposed to)

Last edited by HyponGrey on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have gathered, Clements is a very good QB coach and developer but IMO he isn't the game planner that Philbin is. Seems like a better "Monday-Saturday" guy than a "Sunday" guy. Not sure what kind of leader he is, I hope we can hang onto him because it seems like him and Rodgers get along well. Also Clements is on the sidelines and Philbin was always upstairs as far as I knew.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd like it if Tom Clements was more of an offensive coordinator and less of a QB coach on the sidelines.
jfinley88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure you don't wanna hire Capers... that'd be nice.
British

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:
Personally I'd like it if Tom Clements was more of an offensive coordinator and less of a QB coach on the sidelines.

I think for all intents and purposes MM is our OC on game day.
Title Town USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
You sure you don't wanna hire Capers... that'd be nice.
Yes. Take Dom if you must take one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come now, you don't want Clements. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for the feedback guys. It seems like Bears GM Phil Emery is moving towards hiring an offensive minded coach, so there's a good possibility Clements could be that guy if he impresses and interviews well.

I realize Clements is 59 years old so his chances to take on a head coaching position may be limited the longer he stays in his current position.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattwaukee wrote:

I've noticed how often we see Aaron sitting next to TC after he comes off the field more than he looks to McAdoo for guidance that this is why I don't want Clements going anywhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: