Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Ireland Safe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChosenOne3188

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Jeff Ireland Safe Reply with quote

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afceast&id=53271

Ugh, here we go again! Thought it would finally be time for him to go and Ross keeps him around yet again....players don't want to play for him and they expect us to get better? Expect him to pull off some seriously dumb trades this offseason just like last. I don't understand how everyone can see how obviously bad he is except for Ross...[/list]

AIM/Steam/XBL: ChosenOne3188
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The franchise is clearly better today then it was last year at this time so this does not surprise me. We have a young QB in place 5 picks in the top 100 and a projected 47 mil in cap space Ireland should get some credit for that. We are in a much better place then last year but that does not mean we are out of the woods by no means. There will be some continuity finally this off season and every focus will be on upgrading the roster with everyone on the same page. Here you go Ireland you set this off season up perfect now go make or break your career
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
The franchise is clearly better today then it was last year at this time so this does not surprise me. We have a young QB in place 5 picks in the top 100 and a projected 47 mil in cap space Ireland should get some credit for that. We are in a much better place then last year but that does not mean we are out of the woods by no means. There will be some continuity finally this off season and every focus will be on upgrading the roster with everyone on the same page. Here you go Ireland you set this off season up perfect now go make or break your career

While I agree with you that Ireland surely deserves credit for what he has done, I also believe he deserves to be held accountable for what he's failed to do, and the most glaring things he's failed to do the last 2 seasons are; Adequately Upgrade the O-Line and the Defensive Backfield IMO.

I'll also point out what rookie GM Ryan Grigson has done with the Colts this season to suggest that it's not impossible for a GM to make moves to win now instead of; constantly talking about winning now while looking like you're rebuilding year after year ( sound familiar? )
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but understand he took ove a colts team that was no where near as bad as there record the year before. They were a team devasted by injuries and the year before that were a playoff team. He inhereted a team with bookend pass rushers, reggie wayne extra picks and struck gold with andrew luck falling into his lap. I am not saying ireland has done a great job overall but i am saying the team is set up in much better shape now then previous years and now is not the time to change things.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
True but understand he took ove a colts team that was no where near as bad as there record the year before. They were a team devasted by injuries and the year before that were a playoff team. He inhereted a team with bookend pass rushers, reggie wayne extra picks and struck gold with andrew luck falling into his lap. I am not saying ireland has done a great job overall but i am saying the team is set up in much better shape now then previous years and now is not the time to change things.

Grigson cleaned house with the Colts, letting go of quite a few well known players; Melvin Bullit, Gary Brackens, Dallas Clark to name a few. He also fired Caldwell and was the man that hired Pagano and selected the interim coach on top of making some gutsy draft selections beyond Andrew Luck ( 2 TE's and TY Hilton in the 3rd ).....not to mention bringing back Reggie Wayne and admirably filling the shoes of a legend himself in Bill Polian.

If you think Grigson's win now strategy is just blind luck you could be correct, so how about looking at another GM that has quietly made bold moves to turn a long suffering franchise into the team nobody wants to face coming into this seasons playoffs; The Seahawks John Schneider. He had the guts and knowledge to draft Bruce Irvin in the 1st round last draft ( 8 sacks * leads all rookies ) on top of selecting Russell Wilson in the 3rd and Bobby Wagner in the 2nd ( 140 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 int ). Since 2010 he's drafted or acquired players like; Russel Okung, Earl Thomas, Marhsawn Lynch, Max Unger, and CB's Bandon Browner and Richard Sherman to name a few others.

Jeff Ireland may not be the worst GM in the league, but he's a ways off from what our Owner should be looking for IMO. In short whenever there's an upgrade available for whoever......you should upgrade.
Deets

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think hes done a bad job. I would say if you compared every GM's body of work over the last 5 years, Ireland would be in the top 10 for best drafts.

FF Member #67
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i am going to say it again i dont think Jeff Ireland has done a great job but the franchise is much better today then it was last year or the year before at this time and we have picks and 47 mil in cap and he has something to do with it. To answer your question about the Colts yes Luck fell into his lap. As for the seahawks they have drafted great but im not sure what your point is? I can sit here and give you a list of teams in a worst state then us and strapped cap wise. Ireland has made good moves and bad ones like any GM.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireland has done a good job in my opinion. A lot of players didn't want to come to Miami because of Sparano not Ireland. Fact is he is doing a good job with drafts. Hiring Philbin which led to the Coyle signing helped develop players like Odrick, Misi, Jones. I am not a big Ireland fan but he isn't doing that bad of a job. I do believe this offseason is a make or break offseason for him. He must land weapons for T-Hill and get a pass rusher as well as a corner. He has the cap space and 5 picks in the 1st to do it which is more than enough.

About the Colts GM he came into the draft getting Andrew Luck and two elite pass rushers. He grabbed players to fit the QB in Fleener and Allen and taking the chance on T.Y. Hilton. We have taken those chances before as well(Gates) Hilton paid off. When you know who your QB is going to be week 1 it is easy to build guys around. T-Hill wasn't even suppose to see the field this year so how was he suppose to get guys to build around him.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
SUG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well by my count there have bee 7 head coaches fired today.
Some of those franchises will bring outsiders in as replacements & that means new schemes & a whole
crapload of players being cut cause they don't fit the new scheme.

Add to that we have 5 pks in rnds 1 - 3, wre 45 Mill under the cap & if you have some what of a creative/visionary mind ....

Somewhere in that malee we have to come out with a starting:
LT - LG - TE - WR & DE.

I always blamed Irelands primary failure being a man of little vision outside of meat n potatoes/trenches.

Now we have a new HC whom is Hell Bent on scoring an avg of 24 pts/gm via a West Coast Off that can go vertical.

Man ... were in great shape from where I'm sittin, just as long as LT turns out to be our #1 improvement.

sug
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His recent drafts haven't been bad at all. He just gets a lot of credit for Parcels draft's which are very questionable. Juts trying to see the positive things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad he stayed now it's time for him to show us what he has and upgrade the roster if he doesn't then next year he will be gone. i'm actually excited for this off season !
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dolphins have sucked BADLY ever since Ireland arrived. His drafts have been mediocre, his trades largely sucked and the only really important thing is that we have not gotten better in the only place that counts, our record. 79 may be alright with some of you and our owner but it is not okay with me and apparently not okay with the fans that buy tickets. Mark this down in stone...we won't win a playoff game so long as this loser is at the helm.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
The Dolphins have sucked BADLY ever since Ireland arrived. His drafts have been mediocre, his trades largely sucked and the only really important thing is that we have not gotten better in the only place that counts, our record. 79 may be alright with some of you and our owner but it is not okay with me and apparently not okay with the fans that buy tickets. Mark this down in stone...we won't win a playoff game so long as this loser is at the helm.

The Dolphins sucked before him under Spielman...its been awhile since the Phins have had any success.

How we view the GM is how we view their role....if you believe a GM's responsibility is to get player that the head coach wants while working under the cap then you have to give the guy another year since up until last off-season he was working under the desire of the Sparono/Parcells vision....again he was hired by Parcells...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Yeah i am going to say it again i dont think Jeff Ireland has done a great job but the franchise is much better today then it was last year or the year before at this time and we have picks and 47 mil in cap and he has something to do with it. To answer your question about the Colts yes Luck fell into his lap. As for the seahawks they have drafted great but im not sure what your point is? I can sit here and give you a list of teams in a worst state then us and strapped cap wise. Ireland has made good moves and bad ones like any GM.

My point is Ireland is by no means irreplaceable and for some reason posters on our forum defend him year after year despite the same old mediocre results. His drafts haven't been amazing like some other GM's, and at best his drafts have been mediocre. His 1st round picks not named Long and Pouncey ( an Overdrafted Center ) haven't really produced to their draft status, and his 2nd round picks have been either busts or average players......Outside of Cameron Wake I can't think of a single diamond in the rough he's turned over.

As for having Cap space that doesn't mean anything....what matters is what Ireland does with it.
SUG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:

My point is Ireland is by no means irreplaceable and for some reason posters on our forum defend him year after year despite the same old mediocre results. His drafts haven't been amazing like some other GM's, and at best his drafts have been mediocre. His 1st round picks not named Long and Pouncey ( an Overdrafted Center ) haven't really produced to their draft status, and his 2nd round picks have been either busts or average players......Outside of Cameron Wake I can't think of a single diamond in the rough he's turned over.

As for having Cap space that doesn't mean anything....what matters is what Ireland does with it.

Well, I for one am keeping my fingers crossed he gets the axe in the next few days.
And by the way (for those of you whom have disagreed with me) Cleveland has already announced that it will be their next HC job to hire the GM. (Gruden or Billick I suspect)

Seriously, I'd love it if Ross said to Philbin "find 2 - 3 GM candidates you would like to wk with".

That's what I call 2 people being on the same pg whom share philosophy's & more importantly "VISION". (what Ireland lacks)

sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: