Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roman, Vangio, Gamble, Seely, Tomsula, Donatell...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should get Jim's son, Jay, in the right organization. He's currently working with the Ravens' video team and helps in the strength and conditioning department. At Oregon state, he started as an assisant on special teams, and then relayed offensive signals to the QB, from the sideline. I kinda wished he'd have been a defensive guy. There's already the offensive Harbaugh (Jim), the special team Harbaugh (John), but there's not really a defensive Harbaugh (or is it grandpa Jack? I assumed Jack was the Running Game Harbaugh, considering he ran on 90% of his plays, in college). But it would be cool to add another Harbaugh mind on the team.

I hope we bring in Chris Ault, even if Roman stays.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half time of the SB and I'm sick of watching how Roman calls games. I don't care how good he is at x's and o's. He is totally and completely lacking in "killer instinct". He calls the game scared. Our first series we had 3rd and 15 and a QB with a rifle arm, and we'd already made one 20+ yard completion in our only pass, and he calls a run up the middle. That's just giving up that possession and saying we'll try to do better with our next possession. Same late in the half when we had 3rd and 10. Yeah, Kap wasn't looking his best but a run up the middle was almost guarantted to give them the ball back around midfield (which it did and led to another TD). And then at the end of the half. We needed a TD there. I think it was 2-down territory. Call 2 running plays and let them try to stop us. Don't know how the game is going to turn out. But a FG is just not likely to be enough out of an opportunity like that. I mean it might some games, but not when you're behind as far as we are and the other team is playing as well as they are.

Playing not to lose and taking the "safe" option just isn't good enough at the SB level of play. We upgraded our offense when we put Kap in there. Now we need to upgrade it with an OC that isn't afraid to use the weapons he's got.

Venting obviously!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - OK, we made a fantastic comeback and had a chance to win it all. But I think at the end of the game, Romans' 2nd down call and his third down call were awful. His 4th down call was not so much bad, as we appeared unprepared for a blitz which they had just done not so many minutes before on the 2-point try. All in all, when we needed him to call the right play, he sucked. Oh, and our redzone passing game is a disaster.

That slow QB roll out to the right didn'twork earlier in the game, and by and large it hasn't worked all year. All it does is bunch up a whole lot of bodies on that half the field and leave no holes for the receivers and no lane for the QB. It's kind the passing version of the "jumbo package" we run from - which also rarely works. I'd have preferred to see us go 5 wide and give Kap, who was throwing really well, a number of potential targets, or maybe even to find a hole he could run through (unlike the rollout that failed earlier, we scored a TD on that kind of play). What I really wanted to see today was 5 receivers wide - very wide, and a QB draw. I think he could be deadly in that play with his legs. And once he breaks one or two it would open up the passing lanes more and/or slow down the pass rush.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Update - OK, we made a fantastic comeback and had a chance to win it all. But I think at the end of the game, Romans' 2nd down call and his third down call were awful. His 4th down call was not so much bad, as we appeared unprepared for a blitz which they had just done not so many minutes before on the 2-point try. All in all, when we needed him to call the right play, he sucked. Oh, and our redzone passing game is a disaster.

That slow QB roll out to the right didn'twork earlier in the game, and by and large it hasn't worked all year. All it does is bunch up a whole lot of bodies on that half the field and leave no holes for the receivers and no lane for the QB. It's kind the passing version of the "jumbo package" we run from - which also rarely works. I'd have preferred to see us go 5 wide and give Kap, who was throwing really well, a number of potential targets, or maybe even to find a hole he could run through (unlike the rollout that failed earlier, we scored a TD on that kind of play). What I really wanted to see today was 5 receivers wide - very wide, and a QB draw. I think he could be deadly in that play with his legs. And once he breaks one or two it would open up the passing lanes more and/or slow down the pass rush.

Pounding it with gore vs a haloti less team would have been better.

He is mr Hyde...calls some great plays but at times will get too cute

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Maybe we should get Jim's son, Jay, in the right organization. He's currently working with the Ravens' video team and helps in the strength and conditioning department. At Oregon state, he started as an assisant on special teams, and then relayed offensive signals to the QB, from the sideline. I kinda wished he'd have been a defensive guy. There's already the offensive Harbaugh (Jim), the special team Harbaugh (John), but there's not really a defensive Harbaugh (or is it grandpa Jack? I assumed Jack was the Running Game Harbaugh, considering he ran on 90% of his plays, in college). But it would be cool to add another Harbaugh mind on the team.

I hope we bring in Chris Ault, even if Roman stays.

He said his career wasnt over on an interview. I cant see any reason that Roman would get the boot at this point though

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've calmed down and given this some thought and here's what I think we need ...

a younger, fresher approach to offense. We've got a "new age" QB. We need a "new age" offense to go with it. I don't mean running the read option every play. But I mean more spread tactics, and a whole lot more hurry up. Look at how NE had our defense almost dead on its feet late in that game because they were getting off plays so fast.

Right now we use the jumbo a lot which clogs up potential holes and rarely goes for anything other than a small gain, called QB rollouts which moves most of 22 guys into one half of the field and clogs it up, and also is not very effective a play for us, and a whole lot a personnel packages and presnap movement which gives defense plenty of time to put in their own packages and get some rest between snaps.

What I think we should be doing is the exact opposite of this. Kap thrives when he has gaps to throw into, or holes to run through. and our o-line is really young, and we could easily sub in Hunter or James to get afresh back in there without taking almost any time. There's no reason why we couldn't be wearing teams out by the second half. And if you've got an explosive offense there's every reason to want to get more plays out of it.

3 wides, 4 wides, 5 receiver sets, read option, no huddle, hurry up. Get a speed burner and let Kap show off that arm of his deep a lot more often. All of this may not be what Jim wants to do as a coach. But it sure is what I'd like to see out of the personnel group we have now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles are expected to hire a defensive coordinator "soon."
With the Super Bowl now in the rear view mirror, that puts 49ers and Ravens assistants potentially in play for the job. The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles are interested in Ravens LBs coach Ted Monachino for the job, while 49ers DBs coach Ed Donatell isn't as high on the wish list. Of course, their respective teams can block the Eagles from interviewing them. Another scenario is that Philadelphia could be waiting until after NCAA national signing day on Wednesday to name a college coordinator to the position. Either way, the process should heat up this week.

roto.

please please please don't leave us ED!!!

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we blocked the Saints from interviewing Ed Donatell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently Donatell isn't upset at all and believe the "system is fair."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/donatell-calls-system-denied-his-promotion-fair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't want to jump off the ship the year before we win a superbowl now, does he? If we had won, he might have been looking forward to a DC job, the next step. But he knows his job here isn't done. The team, team, team wants that Superbowl. It's not just the players, not just Harbaugh himself. The assistants signed on for a reason, and it's to win a superbowl. Gotta love it.

I'm sure if Donatell had wanted to leave, all he had to do was talk to Baalrbaugh and get them to let him talk to other teams. He wanted to stay, so our front office "blocking" him was really just a formality.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles hired Browns LB coach Billy Davis as defensive coordinator.
After a long search for an aggressive proponent of the 3-4, the Eagles finally found their man. Prior to his two-year stint in Cleveland, Davis unsuccessfully coordinated the Cardinals' defense from 2009-2010 and held the same position in San Francisco from 2005-06 before getting ousted. He's been in the NFL as a defensive assistant since 1992, coaching the 3-4 scheme almost exclusively. In Philly, Davis will be charged with turning around a defense that ranked 30th in points allowed and tied for dead last in turnovers forced. It's not the splashy defensive hire many expected when offensive guru Chip Kelly landed the head-coaching gig.

roto

who remembers this fellow?

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rams interviewed Vikings assistant Mike Singletary for their defensive coordinator vacancy this week.
Singletary landed the title of "special assistant to the head coach" and linebackers coach with ex-Bears teammate Leslie Frazier after flaming out as the 49ers' head coach. He's overseen Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, and Jasper Brinkley's development over the past two seasons. The Rams are in the market for a defensive coordinator after agreeing mutually to part ways with Rob Ryan.

roto

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
The Rams interviewed Vikings assistant Mike Singletary for their defensive coordinator vacancy this week.
Singletary landed the title of "special assistant to the head coach" and linebackers coach with ex-Bears teammate Leslie Frazier after flaming out as the 49ers' head coach. He's overseen Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, and Jasper Brinkley's development over the past two seasons. The Rams are in the market for a defensive coordinator after agreeing mutually to part ways with Rob Ryan.

roto

Billy Davis with the eagles, Singletary interviewing with the Rams, us not losing any coach... this week just puts a smile on my face, in spite of everything that I choose to forget.

EverythingSF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

roto

Billy Davis with the eagles, Singletary interviewing with the Rams, us not losing any coach... this week just puts a smile on my face, in spite of everything that I choose to forget.

That we lost the Super Bowl? Or that your Lee jersey is broken? Or both? Embarassed

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingSF wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:

roto

That we lost the Super Bowl? Or that your Lee jersey is broken? Or both? Embarassed

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: