Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Possible DC...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Post Dispatch had an article today about Clancy Pendergast being in the mix for DC for the Rams. Jim Mora Jr. may also be interviewed apparently too.

Pendergast is a hire that I'd hate. Why would Jim Mora Jr. give up his HC position with UCLA?

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:
Post Dispatch had an article today about Clancy Pendergast being in the mix for DC for the Rams. Jim Mora Jr. may also be interviewed apparently too.

Pendergast is a hire that I'd hate. Why would Jim Mora Jr. give up his HC position with UCLA?

I really hope he doesn't leave. As a UCLA fan, I haven't had this much hope in years.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 Faulk wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:

I really hope he doesn't leave. As a UCLA fan, I haven't had this much hope in years.

Both have coaching ties to Fisher I believe, but other than that I don't know.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
I <3 Faulk wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
STLRamsFan99 wrote:

Both have coaching ties to Fisher I believe, but other than that I don't know.
Mora has never worked with Fisher.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
nodefense

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how he would fit Fisher's style but Monte Kiffen is heading back to the NFL. He sucked at USC but was great at Tampa Bay.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible DC... Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:
Ok guys so with Gregg Williams being AWOL currently and not having a TRUE defensive coordinator, what about bringing Lovie Smith back? He did a great job with us back in the day and with him getting the ax in Chicago, opens up the possibility of a reunion. I would love it honestly. We have a top 10 defense now, I think Lovie could turn it into top 5 or close to being number 1. What do you all think?

I'd love it. James Laurinaitis is an ideal C-2 MLB. We'd need to find 2 safeties this off-season but we have all the pieces to be dominant in Lovie's scheme.
Could it all be falling into place?

Buffalo was really the only place that seemed to be seriously giving Lovie consideration and now that they have gone another direction Im not sure he's got another job out there for him.

San Diego was the other that people talked about, but pretty firmly in a 3-4 defense that would be a tough transition, and they seem determined to stick with the other Pagano as their DC, seeming like Arians would be a good fit. Cleveland & Philly seem determined to go Offensive minded. And Arizona is 3-4 as well as a complete Rebuild, cant imagine he wants to be there.

Ive thought Lovie needed to go back to being a DC for awhile now, and the talent we already have, along with the heavier & heavier Cover 2 themes we implemented throughout this season, the Rams could be a very good rebound project for him. Build us up for 2 years or so, and wait for the right situation to open back up for him.

With a similarly built Defense to the Bears, it should be an easy transition. Although we dont have Julius Peppers, our Front 4 is the core of the defense, and a lethal one. We have the QB for a MLB in Laurinaits along with a wild card/playmaker in Dunbar. And we have the Corners that can play in any scheme, but are opportunistic and have shown the ability to bait & create turnovers, a staple of Lovie's philosophy.

As it has been pointed out, we are 1 very good safety (and probably an upgrade at the other) and a SLB away from a Great Defense & a perfect fit for Lovie's Cover-2.

Hate getting my hopes up, but we already have an "all-star" coaching staff, so I dont see Fisher wanting "his guy" being a problem if this is a real option. But I would like Lovie to bring in someone he considers to be a protege to coach the LBs, so that we have someone to take over if he gets another HC job.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible DC... Reply with quote

If Lovie Smith comes on over, lets bring back Bob Babich as LB coach. That is, if the Bears fire him.

If no one remembers, he was the Rams LB coach in 2003.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVEie Smith as our DC

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible DC... Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:
Ok guys so with Gregg Williams being AWOL currently and not having a TRUE defensive coordinator, what about bringing Lovie Smith back? He did a great job with us back in the day and with him getting the ax in Chicago, opens up the possibility of a reunion. I would love it honestly. We have a top 10 defense now, I think Lovie could turn it into top 5 or close to being number 1. What do you all think?

I'd love it. James Laurinaitis is an ideal C-2 MLB. We'd need to find 2 safeties this off-season but we have all the pieces to be dominant in Lovie's scheme.
Could it all be falling into place?

Buffalo was really the only place that seemed to be seriously giving Lovie consideration and now that they have gone another direction Im not sure he's got another job out there for him.

San Diego was the other that people talked about, but pretty firmly in a 3-4 defense that would be a tough transition, and they seem determined to stick with the other Pagano as their DC, seeming like Arians would be a good fit. Cleveland & Philly seem determined to go Offensive minded. And Arizona is 3-4 as well as a complete Rebuild, cant imagine he wants to be there.

Ive thought Lovie needed to go back to being a DC for awhile now, and the talent we already have, along with the heavier & heavier Cover 2 themes we implemented throughout this season, the Rams could be a very good rebound project for him. Build us up for 2 years or so, and wait for the right situation to open back up for him.

With a similarly built Defense to the Bears, it should be an easy transition. Although we dont have Julius Peppers, our Front 4 is the core of the defense, and a lethal one. We have the QB for a MLB in Laurinaits along with a wild card/playmaker in Dunbar. And we have the Corners that can play in any scheme, but are opportunistic and have shown the ability to bait & create turnovers, a staple of Lovie's philosophy.

As it has been pointed out, we are 1 very good safety (and probably an upgrade at the other) and a SLB away from a Great Defense & a perfect fit for Lovie's Cover-2.

Hate getting my hopes up, but we already have an "all-star" coaching staff, so I dont see Fisher wanting "his guy" being a problem if this is a real option. But I would like Lovie to bring in someone he considers to be a protege to coach the LBs, so that we have someone to take over if he gets another HC job.

I think we're two safeties away in the C-2 as I don't see Mikell as a C-2 safety. But on the bright side, you typically don't have to work as hard to find a C-2 safety as it's an easier skill-set to find. Imo, a guy like Micah Hyde would be a great fit as a C-2 FS.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing Lovie back would be a dream. I wonder what the actual chances are.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Jameis Winston
3. Brett Hundley
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:

I'd still give it about a 10% chance of materializing...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

I'd still give it about a 10% chance of materializing...
I would have said that before this weekend, when the Buffalo job was still an option. But with that being filled, I think his choices are sevearly limited suddenly.

Teams arent jumping at him for another HC job already, and he isnt the most charismatic guy that a Network is going to be falling over themselves to get him on their shows. At this point I think his options are going to be take a DC job somewhere, settle as a position coach/assistant HC for someone, or take a year off. And the way he went out, I would think he would be all about coaching right away.

He isnt likely to jump onto one of these new coaches Staffs, not to mention his system doesnt fit in alot of places right now with Half the league running some level of 3-4. I would probably put it at somewhere around 25-30%.

Just looking at the Head Coaching search, 2 have been hired and I think its starting to get a bit more clear. This is How i think it shakes out at this point:
Bears- Pete Carmichael Jr Saints OC
I think this should be Mike Zimmer, but it seams Owners/GMs dont like him very much due to his stern personality. Also Emery is definitely looking for a Offensive Minded coach. Carmichael has been learning under Peyton and Drew Brees, and they may think he can brew some of the same magic with Cutler & Co. When a name pops up unexpectedly like this, its usually because there is real interest, not just the "hot name" to look at.

Bills- Doug Marone* Syracuse HC
This hire has been made, and as I said before seems to shut the door on Lovie's HC options. As for the hire, it almost seems to be one to sell to the region more than anything else. He did a nice job at Syracuse, turning them back around, but can he do that for an NFL franchise? Especially if he is going to attach himself to Ryan Nassib?

Browns- Greg Roman 49ers OC
There is a theory out there that Lombardi has been behind the scenes running this search, and has whiffed on every one of "his guys". I think they take one last swing for the fences with Saban tomorrow, and assuming that whiffs as well, Lombardi is out as their GM Candidate. Which I then think Tom Gamble slides in (a much better option) as he would rather have real control in Cleveland than what ever it is they do with the Jets, and Brings in his guy from San Fran to build this team around Trent Richardson.

Cardinals- Ray Horton Cardinals DC
The Bidwells will look around, thinking they can land a big fish, but ultimately with this total rebuild no big name wants to anchor themselves to that ship. Horton is a guy who deserves a shot, and can build that team around the Defense he has already built. This one will probably take awhile, but when all the dust settles, their best option is in house.

Chargers- Bruce Arians Colts OC
This one just fits. Arians has proven he can handle being a HC, he did it all year, while running an offense. The Chargers are also looking into a Colts guy to Be one of the new Front Office people, but they really want to keep the other Pagano as their DC. They also need one last Hail Mary to fix Phillip Rivers, and the guy who grromed Big Ben and ushered in Andrew Luck seems like a good option for that.

Chiefs- Andy Reid* Eagles HC
This was a great hire, the Chiefs were the sneaky good job this off season. Everyone was pointing to SD, but this was a much better option. Andy can get his QB to build around (likely Geno Smith) to go with a dynamic RB (who he is going to kill for fantasy owners) and an underrated defense already there. I wouldnt be shocked if the Chiefs are contending for the West crown, pushing the Broncos in 2 years.

Eagles- Mike McCoy Broncos OC
The Eagles have been looking for the "Big Splash" since they moved on from Reid. Kelly passed on them, so now they are going to grab the hottest OC candidate. McCoy made it work with Tebow, as well as a rehabbed Peyton. I think he can figure something out in Philly.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard a thing, anyone else?

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
Jonezy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
University of California defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast is reportedly a candidate for the same job with the Rams.

-Rotoworld

Meh nothing new, but at least I found something Laughing

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not feeling too good about Pendergast. But if he's hired, I'll give him a chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: