Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Possible DC...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very nice pipe dream, but there's no reason to think Lovie will not get a head coaching gig.

And if he doesn't, I'm sure someone will give him full control of a defense. That wouldn't be the case here.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
I read somewhere that Fisher plans on making a choice on DC sometime in the next two weeks. Considering that a decision on Gregg Williams doesn't come until after the superbowl and Fisher doesn't plan on changing the system, I believe it's pretty obvious that the choice will come from in-house. That most likely leaves Blake Williams or Dave McGinnis. My money is on Williams.

That'll suck. We need better than what we got this year.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jjab360

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:
I read somewhere that Fisher plans on making a choice on DC sometime in the next two weeks. Considering that a decision on Gregg Williams doesn't come until after the superbowl and Fisher doesn't plan on changing the system, I believe it's pretty obvious that the choice will come from in-house. That most likely leaves Blake Williams or Dave McGinnis. My money is on Williams.

...And first year play callers (assuming that Blake did in fact call plays this year) aren't capable of becoming better?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Possible DC... Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:
Ok guys so with Gregg Williams being AWOL currently and not having a TRUE defensive coordinator, what about bringing Lovie Smith back? He did a great job with us back in the day and with him getting the ax in Chicago, opens up the possibility of a reunion. I would love it honestly. We have a top 10 defense now, I think Lovie could turn it into top 5 or close to being number 1. What do you all think?

I'd love it. James Laurinaitis is an ideal C-2 MLB. We'd need to find 2 safeties this off-season but we have all the pieces to be dominant in Lovie's scheme.

Finally, someone makes sense about Lovie as a D-coordinator. That would be an epic hire. Jenkins, Finnegan, and Tru could play press man also, which maes the cover 2 a much more versatile defense.

That being said, it is highly unlikely. Fisher has already shown that he prefers "his guys". Lovie, and his style of defense, fall far from traditional Jeff Fisher.

Not to mention, that guy is going to get a head coaching job. I'll take Buffalo in the lottery.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:

...And first year play callers (assuming that Blake did in fact call plays this year) aren't capable of becoming better?

I just don't think that Fisher gives the type of leeway to Blake that he'd give to Gregg...or Blake can't demand the type of leeway that Gregg can. Because I'm betting Fisher and the other defensive coaches had a hand in the passive, soft defense as Gregg Williams loves blitzing, aggressive defenses.

That's why I want Gregg Williams or Lovie Smith. I think Fisher respects both enough to let them handle their business.

The J.R.S. wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:
Ok guys so with Gregg Williams being AWOL currently and not having a TRUE defensive coordinator, what about bringing Lovie Smith back? He did a great job with us back in the day and with him getting the ax in Chicago, opens up the possibility of a reunion. I would love it honestly. We have a top 10 defense now, I think Lovie could turn it into top 5 or close to being number 1. What do you all think?

I'd love it. James Laurinaitis is an ideal C-2 MLB. We'd need to find 2 safeties this off-season but we have all the pieces to be dominant in Lovie's scheme.

Finally, someone makes sense about Lovie as a D-coordinator. That would be an epic hire. Jenkins, Finnegan, and Tru could play press man also, which maes the cover 2 a much more versatile defense.

That being said, it is highly unlikely. Fisher has already shown that he prefers "his guys". Lovie, and his style of defense, fall far from traditional Jeff Fisher.

Not to mention, that guy is going to get a head coaching job. I'll take Buffalo in the lottery.

Yep, it's really too bad. But I think he'll do well in Buffalo if he gets the job.

Could see him taking them to the playoffs.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:

I just don't think that Fisher gives the type of leeway to Blake that he'd give to Gregg...or Blake can't demand the type of leeway that Gregg can. Because I'm betting Fisher and the other defensive coaches had a hand in the passive, soft defense as Gregg Williams loves blitzing, aggressive defenses.

That's why I want Gregg Williams or Lovie Smith. I think Fisher respects both enough to let them handle their business.

The J.R.S. wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
ramsfan4lyfe8 wrote:

Yep, it's really too bad. But I think he'll do well in Buffalo if he gets the job.

Could see him taking them to the playoffs.

Given a QB, I agree.

S-jax39

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt want gregg williams so I hope someone else is hired soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Williams. Although I love Lovie, there's a 99.99% chance he'll get an HC gig (particularly with either the Cards or Bills, hopefully Bills) and besides, even though him and Fisher both run a 4-3 defense, their schemes are entirely different and I want continuity and both sides of the ball.
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cannot explain our corners playing off like they did other than saying Dahl was a starter. Get one, although Mikel isn't great, just one good safety makes this defense very scary.

Pick 2 and 13
Wr80

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love for a similar scheme but more aggressive. Other than the fact we have young CBs, they played weak off line. I want more press. We need a more seasoned DC too, experience is gonna be a huge factor in how we play.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie Smith or Greg Williams would be my first 2...

If it stays in they team, Chuck Cecil>>Blake Williams

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonezy wrote:
Lovie Smith or Greg Williams would be my first 2...

If it stays in they team, Chuck Cecil>>Blake Williams

No way. Chuck Cecil plays a completely passive bend but don't break scheme.

Halradio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the premise the Rams will almost certainly promote from within for DC.

Not to mention the Rams D did a pretty decent job this year considering they rebuilt the front and back end of the defense and had to roll with what they had at safety.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Greg Williams gets reinstated and Blake remains the LB coach. Blake will end up calling plays as good as his dad and get a HC job somewhere else in the future if he becomes DC. Selfish of me but I want the coaching staff to remain the same for at least a few years.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Spags was verbally bashed by a Saints defensive player:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121048/article/steve-spagnuolo-assailed-by-new-orleans-saints-player

Any time someone uses an "anonymous" source, as the author of the original story did, I am suspicious. But after hearing that he was specifically questioned in terms of his ability to make in game adjustments, I just had to laugh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: