Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Devin Hester considers retiring from NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Gene wrote:
Quote:
Hester said he's been stressed by what's transpired on the field. After establishing himself as one of the greatest returners in NFL history, Hester tried to make the transition to impact receiver, but that never happened. He had 57 catches in 2009, but that's gone down each subsequent season, and he had 23 this season.

"Not being able to showcase my talents the way I want them to be able to be showcased, it's stressful," Hester said.

Quote:
"I feel like I've done enough in the league to where I established myself (as) one of the elite players to ever play the game," he said.
I hope he retires. Save the Bears the trouble of releasing him, which is surely going to happen. He became irrelevant the moment they changed the kick/return rules.

I like that he's pissed about the Bears not "showcasing" his "talent." Suuuuper surprising that they didn't want to shocase any more drops, incorrect routes, or falling down untouched in the middle of the field while the ball that would have hit him in the chest is picked off!

he became irrelevant the moment they forced him to become an impact wide out....that was a terrible idea
Oh, they didn't force him. When they were trying to re-sign him after his initial success as a returner, he demanded a receiver contract.
Actually no, he demanded a lot of well deserved money as the best returner in the game, and a game changer, the Bears creatively packaged that money so that he would earn a good chunk of change if he ever became a #1 WR, which he never did.
It wasn't packaged creatively enough, because he still ended up being paid like a #2 receiver...and yeah, he did demand it. Look up any article from that period. His agent kept yapping about how the Bears wanted to give him a contract that would make him a rich return man, but that he wanted wideout money. That [inappropriate/removed] even said that someone would give it to his client if the Bears didn't.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Gene wrote:
Quote:
Hester said he's been stressed by what's transpired on the field. After establishing himself as one of the greatest returners in NFL history, Hester tried to make the transition to impact receiver, but that never happened. He had 57 catches in 2009, but that's gone down each subsequent season, and he had 23 this season.

"Not being able to showcase my talents the way I want them to be able to be showcased, it's stressful," Hester said.

Quote:
"I feel like I've done enough in the league to where I established myself (as) one of the elite players to ever play the game," he said.
I hope he retires. Save the Bears the trouble of releasing him, which is surely going to happen. He became irrelevant the moment they changed the kick/return rules.

I like that he's pissed about the Bears not "showcasing" his "talent." Suuuuper surprising that they didn't want to shocase any more drops, incorrect routes, or falling down untouched in the middle of the field while the ball that would have hit him in the chest is picked off!

he became irrelevant the moment they forced him to become an impact wide out....that was a terrible idea
Oh, they didn't force him. When they were trying to re-sign him after his initial success as a returner, he demanded a receiver contract.
Actually no, he demanded a lot of well deserved money as the best returner in the game, and a game changer, the Bears creatively packaged that money so that he would earn a good chunk of change if he ever became a #1 WR, which he never did.
It wasn't packaged creatively enough, because he still ended up being paid like a #2 receiver...and yeah, he did demand it. Look up any article from that period. His agent kept yapping about how the Bears wanted to give him a contract that would make him a rich return man, but that he wanted wideout money. That [inappropriate/removed] even said that someone would give it to his client if the Bears didn't.
So you believe everything an agent says? He's performed like a #2 WR so I'm not sure why you are upset about him getting paid like one, especially when he was asked to be the league's best return man, and a #1 WR since 2008 up until this year.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Gene wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

So you believe everything an agent says? He's performed like a #2 WR so I'm not sure why you are upset about him getting paid like one, especially when he was asked to be the league's best return man, and a #1 WR since 2008 up until this year.
He most certainly has not performed like a #2 WR! What the heck? I literally spot out my coffee when I read that!

...and he hasn't been asked to be a #1 WR since 09. Cutler clearly preferred Knox in 10 and 11 and gave him the targets (no, really. from that point on Knox got more targets. you can't argue that because these things are actually recorded for posterity). Greg Olsen and Matt Forte got more targets than Hester before that, but they're a TE and a RB, so I'll let you say he was some kind of #1 for 08-09, even if it was more by default than any kind of production.

Food for thought: We ask J'Marcus Webb to be a premier LT. He clearly isn't. You ok with paying him like one just because we want him to do that job?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Gene wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

He most certainly has not performed like a #2 WR! What the heck? I literally spot out my coffee when I read that!

...and he hasn't been asked to be a #1 WR since 09. Cutler clearly preferred Knox in 10 and 11 and gave him the targets (no, really. from that point on Knox got more targets. you can't argue that because these things are actually recorded for posterity). Greg Olsen and Matt Forte got more targets than Hester before that, but they're a TE and a RB, so I'll let you say he was some kind of #1 for 08-09, even if it was more by default than any kind of production.

Food for thought: We ask J'Marcus Webb to be a premier LT. He clearly isn't. You ok with paying him like one just because we want him to do that job?
We're not paying Hester to be a #1 WR, we never were. People jumped all over that $10M/ year as if it was guaranteed, it was composed of escalators that Hester could earn if achieved #1 WR #s. He didn't. As far as not being asked to be a #1 WR, how many articles from how many years of Bears TCs do you want where every coach that's asked whether Devin is a #1 WR or not says yes. Hell Brandon Marshall said in TC this year Devin was going to have better #s than him. I'm not arguing he played like a #1, I'm arguing he was expected to be a #1, by Jerry Angelo, every frickin year since 2008.

MAC DRE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares. He's been a non factor for a while now. I can't believe they gave him that much money! Ouch. Even if he didn't hit escalators, still too much money for a guy never on the field. Corners can't play WR. Just ask Cromartie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAC DRE wrote:
Who cares. He's been a non factor for a while now. I can't believe they gave him that much money! Ouch. Even if he didn't hit escalators, still too much money for a guy never on the field. Corners can't play WR. Just ask Cromartie.
Devin should be the same kind of weapon that Randall Cobb and Percy Harvin are, Miami just completely screwed him over by constantly moving him from offense to defense and back and never letting him grow as a WR.

Gene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Gene wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

We're not paying Hester to be a #1 WR, we never were. People jumped all over that $10M/ year as if it was guaranteed, it was composed of escalators that Hester could earn if achieved #1 WR #s. He didn't. As far as not being asked to be a #1 WR, how many articles from how many years of Bears TCs do you want where every coach that's asked whether Devin is a #1 WR or not says yes. Hell Brandon Marshall said in TC this year Devin was going to have better #s than him. I'm not arguing he played like a #1, I'm arguing he was expected to be a #1, by Jerry Angelo, every frickin year since 2008.
Why are you reading run-of-the-mill offseason puff pieces and believing that they're the truth? There's an article for every single player on the roster every single offseason talking about how they're amazing and about to break out and be something amazing.

I'm sure if we looked hard enough, we'd find an article talking about how the long snapper of every team is about to step up his game and be a dominant force. This stuff is just filler when nothing's been happening and the coaches are hiding the truth so that other teams don't find out what's really in their plans.

On that contract, it was for 4 years, 40 million. Only 18.94 mil of it was in escalators. He managed to somehow get a grand total of 5 million of the first three years escalators to go with 13.2 mil of normal money. That's still 18.2 million over 3 years to return kicks and screw up everything about being a wideout. His 2013 check, if he makes the team, is still going to be 7.8 million and change (new, non-#1 WR roster bonus in March is 5 mil instead of 10 mil). That'll make his total collected on the contract 26 million over 4 years.

In comparison, Anquan Boldin got 4 years, 28 million. None of that was escalators.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Gene wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Gene wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Why are you reading run-of-the-mill offseason puff pieces and believing that they're the truth? There's an article for every single player on the roster every single offseason talking about how they're amazing and about to break out and be something amazing.

I'm sure if we looked hard enough, we'd find an article talking about how the long snapper of every team is about to step up his game and be a dominant force. This stuff is just filler when nothing's been happening and the coaches are hiding the truth so that other teams don't find out what's really in their plans.

On that contract, it was for 4 years, 40 million. Only 18.94 mil of it was in escalators. He managed to somehow get a grand total of 5 million of the first three years escalators to go with 13.2 mil of normal money. That's still 18.2 million over 3 years to return kicks and screw up everything about being a wideout. His 2013 check, if he makes the team, is still going to be 7.8 million and change (new, non-#1 WR roster bonus in March is 5 mil instead of 10 mil). That'll make his total collected on the contract 26 million over 4 years.

In comparison, Anquan Boldin got 4 years, 28 million. None of that was escalators.
Not sure where you got your #s from, but he's due $1.85M next year. He got $5M signing bonus, he's never hit his escalator targets so he's basically only made the base salary plus the signing bonus. I think you have been looking at his cap hit, not his actual $.

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAC DRE wrote:

When has he ever played any snaps at WR? I've never seen nor heard of this?
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
MAC DRE wrote:

He's played WR before. Never actually caught a pass though.

I hate the Jaguars
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

lolwut?

Devin Hester would be lucky to considered a #5 WR on a team's roster. He's fast...and that's it. He has decent hands, but runs poor routes and doesn't seem to get great separation from DBs. He sure as hell isn't a blocker downfield, and he isn't a WR who will come up big when they need him the most.

The fact that Chicago has gone after multiple recievers to be their #1 or #2 (Mainly Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Roy Williams come to mind) tells me they didn't trust Devin Hester in that role.

GOAT returner, terrible receiver.

down but not out. I still believe!
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
MAC DRE wrote:

The Jets threw a couple deep routes to him, but he didn't catch any of them lol.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

lolwut?

Devin Hester would be lucky to considered a #5 WR on a team's roster. He's fast...and that's it. He has decent hands, but runs poor routes and doesn't seem to get great separation from DBs. He sure as hell isn't a blocker downfield, and he isn't a WR who will come up big when they need him the most.

The fact that Chicago has gone after multiple recievers to be their #1 or #2 (Mainly Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Roy Williams come to mind) tells me they didn't trust Devin Hester in that role.

GOAT returner, terrible receiver.
Devin is actually a pretty good blocker down field, you have to be if you want to play for Lovie Smith (hence why Devin Aromashadu was quickly demoted after being promoted on the depth chart when it became apparent he gave no effort in blocking). He can make quick precise cuts, but has issues on a 2-way go when he has to read the coverage to know where to go. He gets excellent separation however, Devin never has an issue getting open and probably never will. He is however not a very good WR b/c all his small issues he has seem to always show up at once.

As for the #1 WR mark, you listed 2 guys that were brought in this year, and a 3rd brought in last year (hand picked WR by the OC) you fail to realize that Devin was asked every year from 2008-2011 to be the team's #1 WR. There was never ANY effort put forth into finding a better one. For all the love Knox got, he only knew 1 position. For some reason only he knows Mike Martz was convinced when he first got here that Earl Bennett (the team's best WR since 2009 until this year) couldn't play. Devin was trotted out at TC every year (and every year we heard from all the media guys and the team how great he looked) as the team's #1 WR. Hell this year they listed him as a starter for the first 4 games even tho he clearly had been passed on the depth chart by Alshon before the first game.

49ers Finest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaisinBran wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
MAC DRE wrote:

The Jets threw a couple deep routes to him, but he didn't catch any of them lol.

well its kinda hard when sanchize is the one throwing them.

he got jonathan joseph on a double move doh Cool
(think it was jj haha)

new sig... sorry alex
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
MAC DRE wrote:
Devin should be the same kind of weapon that Randall Cobb and Percy Harvin are, Miami just completely screwed him over by constantly moving him from offense to defense and back and never letting him grow as a WR.

If he was going to develop into a decent WR he would have done so by now. Just because Miami didn't use him exclusively as a WR doesn't mean he couldn't have developed into one once he reached the NFL. Regardless though, he was a very special player on Special Teams. I'd put him in the Hall of Fame, but I'd also vote in a kicker so take that for what it's worth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: