Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears fire Head Coach Lovie Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19134
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the Chargers to the list of teams interviewing Lovie. If I were him, this would be my #1 choice. Aside from the fact its an awesome city, having a QB in place, and lots of good young defensive pieces makes this a very attractive job IMO.

And now JD says Lovie is in AZ right now, and that's the job he wants, could be some under the radar stuff happening there right now.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5106
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Add the Chargers to the list of teams interviewing Lovie. If I were him, this would be my #1 choice. Aside from the fact its an awesome city, having a QB in place, and lots of good young defensive pieces makes this a very attractive job IMO.


I thought of this as well being an attractive spot since they have the best QB out of all the openings thus far, but I wonder if Lovie can take that 3-4 defense that was built there and reconfigure it into a 4-3 they way he ran here in a short amount of time.

Because let's be honest, the pieces on the d-line in San Diego cannot be compared to the Bears line, or for that matter one like the Bills have. I still think the Bills have more pieces for Lovie to work with on D. Only problem is that they don't have an elite QB. I think Fitzpatrick is an Orton type QB tho that fits Lovie's mold of not being one to lose games for the team. Lovie's model has always been predicated on playing solid D and doing just enough on offense to not screw anything up. Problem is that model is slowly becoming extinct in today's NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7908
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Add the Chargers to the list of teams interviewing Lovie. If I were him, this would be my #1 choice. Aside from the fact its an awesome city, having a QB in place, and lots of good young defensive pieces makes this a very attractive job IMO.


I thought of this as well being an attractive spot since they have the best QB out of all the openings thus far, but I wonder if Lovie can take that 3-4 defense that was built there and reconfigure it into a 4-3 they way he ran here in a short amount of time.

Because let's be honest, the pieces on the d-line in San Diego cannot be compared to the Bears line, or for that matter one like the Bills have. I still think the Bills have more pieces for Lovie to work with on D. Only problem is that they don't have an elite QB. I think Fitzpatrick is an Orton type QB tho that fits Lovie's mold of not being one to lose games for the team. Lovie's model has always been predicated on playing solid D and doing just enough on offense to not screw anything up. Problem is that model is slowly becoming extinct in today's NFL.
There is no chance San Diego is going to hire Smith. That has always been one of the most creative and exciting offenses in the league year after year so the thought that it will turn to a man without a clue about offense is ridiculous.

If they even interview him it will be for one reason only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7908
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
What a shame that after Lovie Smith's team placed 5 players in the Pro Bowl, this board cuts him up. He is being rightfully "cut up" because he was not a good coach only half a good coach and could not make the playoffs IN SPITE of having 5 Pro Bowlers. He WASTED them.

Thats what happened to Mike Ditka when he was fired. Same bashing. False, Bear fans always loved Mike. And most saw Smith's shortcomings very quickly.

HH loves novelty. False. The ambiguous lines of authority give HH control. There are NO ambiguous lines of authority now.

The NFL's #2 market deserves better.

Every era has more than one or two football minds involved.

The 1980's in Chicago were the result of Jim Finks, Bill Tobin, Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan.

It will take more than Emery + HC to construct a playoff bound team. No it won't. There should not be that much of a drop off, if any since this is not a team which needs blowing up and starting over.
There was NO reason to keep Smith. NONE. He is the modern Neil Armstrong.

Only the media was cutting up Ditka who was FAR more successful than Smith. Bear fans HATED Mike's firing and immediately pointed the finger at McCaskey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bearsaddict


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 3544
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall Ditka was only .068 % points better average than Smith. Against winning teams he was only .064% better than Smith. Not even close to "far more successful than Smith". You sit here and claim my vial hatred of Angelo clouds my vision(which it doesn't even come close to doing), and you sit here and say Lovie Smith's firing was a no brainer. Yet you consistently defend Ditka. Something's got to give Al. Its clear in your disdain for Smith and love for Ditka that you are clearly not seeing the whole picture realistically. For what it's worth, I LOVE Ditka, and this is in no way a "Ditka wasn't good" post. Furthermore, the talent that Ditka had was much more prevalent on the offensive side than Smith, and you are wrong yet again when you claim that this team was all Lovie's personnel. If it was, Thomas Jones would have never been let go in favor of Ced Benson, and Alex Brown would have been here another year after being named Bear of the year. Two incredibly obvious examples of just how erroneous you are on that.
_________________
Here's to hoping Emery is NOTHING like Angelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7908
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
Overall Ditka was only .068 % points better average than Smith. Against winning teams he was only .064% better than Smith. Not even close to "far more successful than Smith". You sit here and claim my vial hatred of Angelo clouds my vision(which it doesn't even come close to doing), and you sit here and say Lovie Smith's firing was a no brainer. Yet you consistently defend Ditka. Something's got to give Al. Its clear in your disdain for Smith and love for Ditka that you are clearly not seeing the whole picture realistically. For what it's worth, I LOVE Ditka, and this is in no way a "Ditka wasn't good" post. Furthermore, the talent that Ditka had was much more prevalent on the offensive side than Smith, and you are wrong yet again when you claim that this team was all Lovie's personnel. If it was, Thomas Jones would have never been let go in favor of Ced Benson, and Alex Brown would have been here another year after being named Bear of the year. Two incredibly obvious examples of just how erroneous you are on that.
Ditka's teams made the playoffs 70% of the time, Smith's 33%. Ditka was a much better coach.

Here are the facts: Ditka won 112 and lost 68 or .622. Smith 82 and 63 or .562. That is NOT .06% as you claim it is 6.00%. You make the same error with your other calculation and miss the decimal place by TWO places. So, rather than a infintessimal difference between their record, we see there is a substantial difference. Another killing point is that Ditka won 40 more games than Smith and lost only 5 more. Had you lived as an adult through that era this would be obvious to you. We were on the verge of the Championship for about straight four years losing only because of our QB uncertainties and injuries. We haven't seen anything like that since then.

Repeatedly it has been pointed out that Jones was not only traded because of a promise that had been made to him but he got scant respect no matter where he went or how well he did. Now it is true that Angelo could have reneged on that promise but that is a path that few would justify. There is NO way Angelo just decided on his own to let Brown go after all Smith was the defense expert. There was no personnel acquisition that Smith did not sign off on. Why this keeps being disputed is odd.

Only those who live in a pretend world don't see that Smith's fingers are all over EVERY aspect of the Bears wrt coaches and players. It has been widely understood since the Super Bowl. And coaches hired before then were only at his suggestion or with his approval. In no way was he the victim of their hires.

Smith could not build a consistent winner, unlike Ditka. His teams won ONLY every other year since the Super Bowl. Smith did not appear to learn a single thing since 2006. He could not even ensure that a play was sent in on time.

Smith's firing was a no-brainer and I told you all it was inevitable after the Minnesota game. This was one of the worst coached Bears-Vikings game I ever had the misery to see. I have seen at least 84 of them. It was clear after that game he was totally out of his element and needed to go.

Whatever positive qualities he has as a coach, he is TOTALLY at sea wrt to a modern pro football offense. Unfortunately, for the Bears this makes his hiring as a HC by another team unlikely. He was Angelo's man and will be as sought after as Angelo. They thought almost exactly alike wrt to football. He took the team that Angelo built to the Super Bowl and it never improved after he obtained more power over personnel.

This does not mean he is a bad person and I admire him as a man but, it is true, his football decisions drive me insane. That is the source of my vehemence not the man himself. He is my kind of guy originally from Nowheresville, lower class, like my origins. Exactly the kind of people I root for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bearsaddict


Joined: 26 Apr 2006
Posts: 3544
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
Overall Ditka was only .068 % points better average than Smith. Against winning teams he was only .064% better than Smith. Not even close to "far more successful than Smith". You sit here and claim my vial hatred of Angelo clouds my vision(which it doesn't even come close to doing), and you sit here and say Lovie Smith's firing was a no brainer. Yet you consistently defend Ditka. Something's got to give Al. Its clear in your disdain for Smith and love for Ditka that you are clearly not seeing the whole picture realistically. For what it's worth, I LOVE Ditka, and this is in no way a "Ditka wasn't good" post. Furthermore, the talent that Ditka had was much more prevalent on the offensive side than Smith, and you are wrong yet again when you claim that this team was all Lovie's personnel. If it was, Thomas Jones would have never been let go in favor of Ced Benson, and Alex Brown would have been here another year after being named Bear of the year. Two incredibly obvious examples of just how erroneous you are on that.
Ditka's teams made the playoffs 70% of the time, Smith's 33%. Ditka was a much better coach.

Here are the facts: Ditka won 112 and lost 68 or .622. Smith 82 and 63 or .562. That is NOT .06% as you claim it is 6.00%. You make the same error with your other calculation and miss the decimal place by TWO places. So, rather than a infintessimal difference between their record, we see there is a substantial difference. Another killing point is that Ditka won 40 more games than Smith and lost only 5 more. Had you lived as an adult through that era this would be obvious to you. We were on the verge of the Championship for about straight four years losing only because of our QB uncertainties and injuries. We haven't seen anything like that since then.

Repeatedly it has been pointed out that Jones was not only traded because of a promise that had been made to him but he got scant respect no matter where he went or how well he did. Now it is true that Angelo could have reneged on that promise but that is a path that few would justify. There is NO way Angelo just decided on his own to let Brown go after all Smith was the defense expert. There was no personnel acquisition that Smith did not sign off on. Why this keeps being disputed is odd.

Only those who live in a pretend world don't see that Smith's fingers are all over EVERY aspect of the Bears wrt coaches and players. It has been widely understood since the Super Bowl. And coaches hired before then were only at his suggestion or with his approval. In no way was he the victim of their hires.

Smith could not build a consistent winner, unlike Ditka. His teams won ONLY every other year since the Super Bowl. Smith did not appear to learn a single thing since 2006. He could not even ensure that a play was sent in on time.

Smith's firing was a no-brainer and I told you all it was inevitable after the Minnesota game. This was one of the worst coached Bears-Vikings game I ever had the misery to see. I have seen at least 84 of them. It was clear after that game he was totally out of his element and needed to go.

Whatever positive qualities he has as a coach, he is TOTALLY at sea wrt to a modern pro football offense. Unfortunately, for the Bears this makes his hiring as a HC by another team unlikely. He was Angelo's man and will be as sought after as Angelo. They thought almost exactly alike wrt to football. He took the team that Angelo built to the Super Bowl and it never improved after he obtained more power over personnel.

This does not mean he is a bad person and I admire him as a man but, it is true, his football decisions drive me insane. That is the source of my vehemence not the man himself. He is my kind of guy originally from Nowheresville, lower class, like my origins. Exactly the kind of people I root for.
You are correct in that I accidentally added the % sign. Didn't mean to do that. other than that the rest of your post is total garbage.
_________________
Here's to hoping Emery is NOTHING like Angelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7908
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsaddict wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
bearsaddict wrote:
Overall Ditka was only .068 % points better average than Smith. Against winning teams he was only .064% better than Smith. Not even close to "far more successful than Smith". You sit here and claim my vial hatred of Angelo clouds my vision(which it doesn't even come close to doing), and you sit here and say Lovie Smith's firing was a no brainer. Yet you consistently defend Ditka. Something's got to give Al. Its clear in your disdain for Smith and love for Ditka that you are clearly not seeing the whole picture realistically. For what it's worth, I LOVE Ditka, and this is in no way a "Ditka wasn't good" post. Furthermore, the talent that Ditka had was much more prevalent on the offensive side than Smith, and you are wrong yet again when you claim that this team was all Lovie's personnel. If it was, Thomas Jones would have never been let go in favor of Ced Benson, and Alex Brown would have been here another year after being named Bear of the year. Two incredibly obvious examples of just how erroneous you are on that.
Ditka's teams made the playoffs 70% of the time, Smith's 33%. Ditka was a much better coach.

Here are the facts: Ditka won 112 and lost 68 or .622. Smith 82 and 63 or .562. That is NOT .06% as you claim it is 6.00%. You make the same error with your other calculation and miss the decimal place by TWO places. So, rather than a infintessimal difference between their record, we see there is a substantial difference. Another killing point is that Ditka won 40 more games than Smith and lost only 5 more. Had you lived as an adult through that era this would be obvious to you. We were on the verge of the Championship for about straight four years losing only because of our QB uncertainties and injuries. We haven't seen anything like that since then.

Repeatedly it has been pointed out that Jones was not only traded because of a promise that had been made to him but he got scant respect no matter where he went or how well he did. Now it is true that Angelo could have reneged on that promise but that is a path that few would justify. There is NO way Angelo just decided on his own to let Brown go after all Smith was the defense expert. There was no personnel acquisition that Smith did not sign off on. Why this keeps being disputed is odd.

Only those who live in a pretend world don't see that Smith's fingers are all over EVERY aspect of the Bears wrt coaches and players. It has been widely understood since the Super Bowl. And coaches hired before then were only at his suggestion or with his approval. In no way was he the victim of their hires.

Smith could not build a consistent winner, unlike Ditka. His teams won ONLY every other year since the Super Bowl. Smith did not appear to learn a single thing since 2006. He could not even ensure that a play was sent in on time.

Smith's firing was a no-brainer and I told you all it was inevitable after the Minnesota game. This was one of the worst coached Bears-Vikings game I ever had the misery to see. I have seen at least 84 of them. It was clear after that game he was totally out of his element and needed to go.

Whatever positive qualities he has as a coach, he is TOTALLY at sea wrt to a modern pro football offense. Unfortunately, for the Bears this makes his hiring as a HC by another team unlikely. He was Angelo's man and will be as sought after as Angelo. They thought almost exactly alike wrt to football. He took the team that Angelo built to the Super Bowl and it never improved after he obtained more power over personnel.

This does not mean he is a bad person and I admire him as a man but, it is true, his football decisions drive me insane. That is the source of my vehemence not the man himself. He is my kind of guy originally from Nowheresville, lower class, like my origins. Exactly the kind of people I root for.
You are correct in that I accidentally added the % sign. Didn't mean to do that. other than that the rest of your post is total garbage.
Of course it is. Such garbage as cannot be refuted. Head coaches hire their assistants. No matter what the St. Lovie brigade claims in their mythological world; he hired his and had NONE shoved down his throat. Players either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marshawn lynch


Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 18258
Location: Syracuse NY
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about Lovie. Why was he fired? Does he deserve a HC job still? Would Buffalo be a good fit? What coaches would he likely bring with him?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22667
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Tell me about Lovie. Why was he fired? Does he deserve a HC job still? Would Buffalo be a good fit? What coaches would he likely bring with him?


One of the best if not the best man manager in the NFL…current & past players love him…

He was fired because he could never hire the right OC…and partly because Jerry Angelo (our ex-GM) could never get him enough offensive talent to win produce a quality offence…

He very much so still deserves to be an HC and I feel Buffalo would be perfect for him…you guys have some offensive talent and have a few guys left over from the Perry Fewell era…Fewell is a guy who learned under Lovie…he would make your D top 10 in year one…

Every assistant on our current staff is still under contract but there is a good chance he would bring DC Rod Marinelli & LB coach Bob Babich if he gets half the chance…

Basically Lovie is a great coach but a poor employer…if your GM hires the OC and doesn’t give Lovie control of that area he could be fantastic for you guys.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1146
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Tell me about Lovie. Why was he fired? Does he deserve a HC job still? Would Buffalo be a good fit? What coaches would he likely bring with him?


He was fired for not making the playoffs enough times, which was (IMO) chiefly due to him not hiring a competent offensive coordinator. I do think he can still be a good head coach, but whatever team wants to hire him should be leery of who he wants to bring in on the offensive staff. He seems pretty clueless about modern offensive football, and would probably try to pick a guy he trusts and has worked with before.

He seems like he might be a good fit in Buffalo, in that he could get the most out of the defensive talent, and he would probably try to bring most of his defensive staff over, along with Dave Toub, the special teams coach, unless they find better opportunities elsewhere. He might also try to bring over Darryl Drake as the WR coach and Tice as the O-line coach, but I thought whoever the OC is usually decides that. I think Tice can be a decent O-line or TE coach, but all the others on the offensive staff are pretty worthless IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1146
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
if your GM hires the OC and doesn’t give Lovie control of that area he could be fantastic for you guys.


Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. If given full control over the OC, Lovie might hire his old running backs coach from St. Louis to run some stone age I-formation scheme. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marshawn lynch


Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 18258
Location: Syracuse NY
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
if your GM hires the OC and doesn’t give Lovie control of that area he could be fantastic for you guys.


Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. If given full control over the OC, Lovie might hire his old running backs coach from St. Louis to run some stone age I-formation scheme. Smile


I heard that Lovie Smith wants to bring in Hue Jackson because they have a close relationship. Not only is he a friend of Lovie's but he is a pretty good OC. Would that a good option as a OC for Lovie?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22667
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
if your GM hires the OC and doesn’t give Lovie control of that area he could be fantastic for you guys.


Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. If given full control over the OC, Lovie might hire his old running backs coach from St. Louis to run some stone age I-formation scheme. Smile


I heard that Lovie Smith wants to bring in Hue Jackson because they have a close relationship. Not only is he a friend of Lovie's but he is a pretty good OC. Would that a good option as a OC for Lovie?


I wish he had done that here.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear 2014…Lance Briggs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marshawn lynch


Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 18258
Location: Syracuse NY
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
if your GM hires the OC and doesn’t give Lovie control of that area he could be fantastic for you guys.


Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. If given full control over the OC, Lovie might hire his old running backs coach from St. Louis to run some stone age I-formation scheme. Smile


I heard that Lovie Smith wants to bring in Hue Jackson because they have a close relationship. Not only is he a friend of Lovie's but he is a pretty good OC. Would that a good option as a OC for Lovie?


I wish he had done that here.


He tried but Jackson took the Raiders job instead.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group